Merck to pay $4.85 billion in Vioxx s...

Merck to pay $4.85 billion in Vioxx settlement

There are 39 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 9, 2007, titled Merck to pay $4.85 billion in Vioxx settlement. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The maker of the painkiller Vioxx has agreed to pay $4.85 billion to settle thousands of lawsuits in one of the largest civil cases ever, according to published reports today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Drew I Spangler

Fallbrook, CA

#22 Nov 12, 2007
I am won of the 20000 client that is very happy with the settlement it took me 9 years to be taken care of thank you for the report.
merchatteptedtom urderme

AOL

#23 Nov 12, 2007
MERCH CAN ROTT IN HELL..SHOVE THEIR BULLSHIT SETTLEMENT...
maggie

AOL

#25 Nov 14, 2007
Jean wrote:
This is so messed up, I don't even know where to begin. Money flowing from the deep (and funded by drug buyers...us) pockets of a pharmaceutical company to the deeper pockets of litigation lawyers. You all know how much they get, right?
You obivously are NOT a lawyer. You do not have ANY idea how much time and money they spend on cases before they actually go to trial. Like MOST trials, it was years before any of that money comes in. The expert witnesses(now there's something you can be,some of them get $5000 AN HOUR), the documents, the research. They still have to pay their staff even though they don't get paid for years.
If YOU needed a lawyer, you would want them to use the BEST of everything available to win your case. That, my friend, cost money.
I'm tired of people like you (who don't know anything) bashing the fees a lawyer charges. Tell that to a doctor the next time he/she wants to cut you guts open!
anon

Pittsburgh, PA

#26 Nov 14, 2007
Maggie,
I don't have much of a problem with what our lawyers would charge _if they deliver_. This settlement is poor and their pay should be lowered accordingly. There needs to be an incentive for them not to just cover their costs but to really "stick it to 'em".
Question - Can I switch attorneys now that this crap deal is made? That would seem fair if my attorney is going to drop me for not wanting the deal. Maybe someone would represent me just to pick up a quick 10% or so.
Kathryn

Carbondale, PA

#27 Nov 14, 2007
I am one who took a heart attack while on Vioxx. I had to have angiplasty and a stent inserted. Since then I'v had stress tests and another catherization and the stent is blocked. I am 66yrs old now. When I took the heart attack I was 61. I live with the fear of taking another heart attck. I think I should get a fair amount for the fear and stress alone I am going through. I have an attorney on my case but they can't promise me what I will get.
Kathryn

Carbondale, PA

#28 Nov 14, 2007
I would like to know how much I am going to get, and when? I took a heart attack while on Vioxx. Now I have to see a cardiologist regularly. I had angioplasty and a stent inserted, The stent is now blocked and can't be opened. This is permanent damage to my heart. What am I going to come out with for a settlement?
Kathryn

Carbondale, PA

#29 Nov 14, 2007
When am I going to get a settlement? It has been 5 yrs. since my heart attack
Kathryn

Carbondale, PA

#30 Nov 14, 2007
My email is [email protected]
Vioxx Victim

Bowling Green, KY

#31 Nov 14, 2007
Most of the lawyers that I know personally at least know how to spell.
maggie wrote:
<quoted text>
You obivously are NOT a lawyer. You do not have ANY idea how much time and money they spend on cases before they actually go to trial. Like MOST trials, it was years before any of that money comes in. The expert witnesses(now there's something you can be,some of them get $5000 AN HOUR), the documents, the research. They still have to pay their staff even though they don't get paid for years.
If YOU needed a lawyer, you would want them to use the BEST of everything available to win your case. That, my friend, cost money.
I'm tired of people like you (who don't know anything) bashing the fees a lawyer charges. Tell that to a doctor the next time he/she wants to cut you guts open!
Pendar

Long Island City, NY

#32 Nov 16, 2007
my co worker took the drug and had a heart attack is it too late for him to particpate in the class action law suit?
Merck Victim

AOL

#33 Nov 16, 2007
"my co worker took the drug and had a heart attack is it too late for him to particpate in the class action law suit?"

There are many states that limit the amount of time to file. However you should encourage him to contact a lawyer to check.
Vladimir Demorcy

Center Moriches, NY

#34 Nov 16, 2007
how about the people that actually died? my grandmother sadly was one of them. i think thats its an ok settlement but could have been better, 4.85 billion divided amongst that many people and of course lawyers fees it wont amount to much for everyone
Vioxx victim

Northport, AL

#35 Nov 21, 2007
I got my first 90 day supply on 10-03-00,and had stroke on 12-15-00.At that time we know that vioxx was the cause,Doctors kept writing it out.They say you have to take 30 and have stroke within 2 weeks of taking.I took 540,had a stroke while i was taking The Beasley firm trying to drop me.Can't remember much-? did i eat supper.
Bill

United States

#36 Nov 22, 2007
The way the PROXIMITY GATE requirement is written will prevent many Merck Vioxx heart attack VICTIMS to get nothing. This is so unfair.

The Federal government needs to get involved to keep Merck and the attorneys from totally screwing over a large number of heart attack patients that took vioxx over a long period of time.

I took 5 pills every 7 days but will get nothing because i did not receive pills in the 56 days preceding the heart attack.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#37 Oct 11, 2008
Quadrupling the payout, removing all bonus (now and in the future) for the CEO and confiscating his bank accounts and investments would help insure that are pharmaceutical products are safe. It will get the message out.

China executed the head of a pharmacutical industry for corruption.
Kerry_s wife

South Amana, IA

#38 Oct 11, 2008
Alz wrote:
This story was poorly written. I see that it came from the AP so we don't know how it was created.
The problem is a big part of the story is how much the lawyers will get. 1/3? 1/2? And what about additional fees outside of their cut!
47,000 people have to share a much smaller settlement because a few hundred lawyers will be making a killing.
This is why the legal system is screwed. When people talk about TORT reform, this is what they are talking about. It sounds like Merck is guilty so thye should pay, but why should the lawyers get so much?
My anger is directed at the media for lying by omission: a big part of the story is who gets the money and by leaving out the lawyers take, we all suffer. Just tell us the truth and let the people decide.
The judge capped lawyers' fees at 32% in this case. Out of that 32%, 8% will go to the negotiating attorneys, plaintiff's steering committee, etc. So, the attorneys will actually only get to keep 24%. Normally, in a contingency situation, the lawyers typically charge 33-40%. They also pay all the expenses...filing fees, medical records, depositions, experts, etc.....up front out of their own office accounts and don't recover those expenses unless the client receives an award, so they are taking a big risk in not recovering what they have paid out. And, FYI...my husband is one of the claimants in this case....I just happened to have worked for an attorney for 14 years so I do know what all is involved.
jason pederson

United States

#39 Jun 6, 2009
Shane Gorrell wrote:
I am one of the thousands that had taken vioxx for more then 1 yr, an had suffered from heart problems. I was 33 yrs old when I had a heart attack while on vioxx.
[email protected]
ya right this guy has had countless frivilous lawsuits check into his history and you will see!
Jason is my half-brother

Tacoma, WA

#40 Jan 14, 2013
jason pederson wrote:
<quoted text> ya right this guy has had countless frivilous lawsuits check into his history and you will see!
Jason Pederson is my half-brother, He's always making things up, Idk why? he won't leave me alone! I never posted this, I am sure he did, He loves to cause problems in my life and everyone else in the family. "Please delete this post" Thank You!
Dave 1036

Melbourne, Australia

#41 Mar 16, 2013
The Merck outfit are BASTARDS as well as murderers, In Australia we have just been offered $2000 that's right $2000 that is if we had a heart attack. It is take it or leave it. What a pack of wankers Merck are what an offer more of an insult. So fuck the lot of them I hope they all soon die and go to hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min positronium 1,484,490
News Ex-Bowling Brook counselors arrested (May '07) 3 hr Shane 31
News Hallmark Delivers a 'Christmas Card' (Nov '07) 14 hr COL Jeremy US NAVY 84
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 22 hr ThomasA 313,233
News Baltimore shootings up 30 percent compared to t... Mon Sarah 2nd Grade 3
MY DADDY Knows BEST and MY DADDY SAID>>>>>>>> Mon Sarah 2nd Grade 1
Please pray for ME!! I need help :( Mon Philbert 3

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance