Merck to pay $4.85 billion in Vioxx s...

Merck to pay $4.85 billion in Vioxx settlement

There are 39 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 9, 2007, titled Merck to pay $4.85 billion in Vioxx settlement. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The maker of the painkiller Vioxx has agreed to pay $4.85 billion to settle thousands of lawsuits in one of the largest civil cases ever, according to published reports today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dr What

Elmhurst, IL

#1 Nov 9, 2007
Another reason drugs are so expensive
HOWIE

Vernon Hills, IL

#2 Nov 9, 2007
I USED VIOXX FOR YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.IT WAS GREAT!NOW I HAVE NO REPLACEMENT FOR IT.
catherine

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Nov 9, 2007
And this is the company who is now dispensing the HPV vaccine for young girls "to protect them from cervical cancer", don't be surprised when these girls that do survive this HPV vaccine are left sterile. By the way....what is 4.85 billion when their profits are up over 60 billion.
Jean

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2007
This is so messed up, I don't even know where to begin. Money flowing from the deep (and funded by drug buyers...us) pockets of a pharmaceutical company to the deeper pockets of litigation lawyers. You all know how much they get, right?

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#5 Nov 9, 2007
Killing people or creating serious illness is a way to profits for the pharmaceutical, medical and mental health and counseling industry. From Vioxx, Statin drugs to psychotropic drugs being prescribed without a test for chemical imbalance shows how gullible and vulnerable the public is.
Jeanne

Baldwin, MD

#6 Nov 9, 2007
Even crossing the street has risk. I am sorry for the people who really suffered from taking this prescription medication. We all know that nothing is safe..not even our food. Who will be sued next?
Merck Victim

AOL

#7 Nov 9, 2007
Oh my lord! Cry me a freakin river! If you took Vioxx "without" the warning the drug may kill you, like some of us did early 99-2000 and had heart attacks that nearly killed you like some of us had, and then weren't able to continue working a small business, like some of us had......you'd be posting this very same post!

IF the Victims...Yes V-I-C-T-I-M-S of Mercks G-R-E-E-D ever get a dollar or two....They deserve every penny nay, every dollar they are entitled to!
Merck Victim

AOL

#8 Nov 9, 2007
Another B-I-G point is.....MERCK KNEW there was a problem with the drug!

Good Grief......read the facts before jumping off the cliff!
mark

Henderson, TX

#9 Nov 9, 2007
Anyone can be sued but normally only the guilty settle in a large case like this.
Vioxx Victim

Bowling Green, KY

#10 Nov 9, 2007
HOWIE wrote:
I USED VIOXX FOR YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.IT WAS GREAT!NOW I HAVE NO REPLACEMENT FOR IT.
Hey, if you liked Vioxx so much, take some more!! It was put back out on the market, what do you mean there is no replacement for it????? Go for it....if you have a death wish.
Vioxx Victim

Bowling Green, KY

#11 Nov 9, 2007
Jeanne wrote:
Even crossing the street has risk. I am sorry for the people who really suffered from taking this prescription medication. We all know that nothing is safe..not even our food. Who will be sued next?
We all have sense enough to watch crossing the street. However, if your doctor in which you are to trust and place total confidence in prescribes you a medication to help you, you take it. That's what happened. Merck knew it was dangerous and still put it out there to profit on, now they are getting just what they deserve in the end.!!
Vioxx Victim

Bowling Green, KY

#12 Nov 9, 2007
Dr What wrote:
Another reason drugs are so expensive
Drugs would not be so expensive if Drug companies wouldn't give reason for people to sue them.

“LONELY BEACON OF TRUTH”

Since: Oct 07

Drifter

#13 Nov 9, 2007
Looks like the lawyers will reap some big $$$ over this case. Meantime those whom VIOXX helped suffer in pain. And they sar our judicial system lacks compassion.
Alz

Chicago, IL

#14 Nov 9, 2007
This story was poorly written. I see that it came from the AP so we don't know how it was created.

The problem is a big part of the story is how much the lawyers will get. 1/3? 1/2? And what about additional fees outside of their cut!

47,000 people have to share a much smaller settlement because a few hundred lawyers will be making a killing.

This is why the legal system is screwed. When people talk about TORT reform, this is what they are talking about. It sounds like Merck is guilty so thye should pay, but why should the lawyers get so much?

My anger is directed at the media for lying by omission: a big part of the story is who gets the money and by leaving out the lawyers take, we all suffer. Just tell us the truth and let the people decide.

Since: Oct 07

Sebastian,Fl

#15 Nov 9, 2007
never took the drug but have followed the case actions after reading "King of Torts" John Grissoms book about lawyers pursueing large class action lawsuits if this settlement follows the book theme then it was cheaper to settle than fight further, but how in the world can a company absorb 4.85 billion $ in damages? answer over charge for every drug you produce...wonder why health insurance costs so much & why i have none.
Merck Victim

AOL

#16 Nov 9, 2007
The news reports that plaintiffs with a solid case get 2 million and when the lawyers fees are deducted the plaintiff takes home 1.2 million. Others that have only a old box of Vioxx and no documented heart attack get nothing, and some with very little evidence may get a few thousand if that.

So it's going to be tiered system of compensation with claimants being funneled into the different amounts of compensation based on facts in each case. Either you have the facts or you don't.
DAVID

Woodridge, IL

#17 Nov 9, 2007
Fine. All of you that hate the drug companies, who are you going to turn to if you are diagnosed with cancer? Drug companies make money on 1 drug of every 200 they try. If they did not make money, they would not be in business, and we would be back to using leeches as cures. I am not saying they are blameless in all cases- and many actions are abhorrent- but let's keep some perspective. They are on balance both necessary and beneficial.
mark

Henderson, TX

#19 Nov 10, 2007
David leaches are still used in modern medicine, and they are very successful in helping to save damaged extremities. Don't worry about the drug companies Merck will still make billions on this dangerous mediocre drug.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#20 Nov 10, 2007
4.85 billion is settlement is just a drop in the bucket. 45 billion would have taken the smiles off their face.
PMJ

Buena Park, CA

#21 Nov 10, 2007
Merck has gotten off easy. Why? Because there isn't a trial on stoke victims who would either be gone or disable. For the few thousands that they are going to get by the form of settlement is nothing compare to the suffering; and the tens of millions their lawyer is going to get without doing much. Merck should indeed spend their millions and billions to do experiment to find out why Vioxx is still being kept out of the market. May be then, the truth
would come out for the benefit of those still alive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Lib Loon 1,460,532
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 49 min Patriot AKA Bozo 7,969
Big Rats in Baltimore City 1 hr BrooklynGreenhouse 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr Dudley 20,710
I'm coming to town 10 hr Dudley 4
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 hr The Bronx Brown S... 312,860
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Dec 7 Baltimore drop off 1

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages