Cabrera's time up

The Daniel Cabrera era in Baltimore is over. The Orioles have decided not to offer the arbitration-eligible starter a contract for 2009, and he's a free agent after nearly 10 years with the organization, club ... Full Story
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#81 Dec 13, 2008
The Nationals just upped their offer to Tex. 10 years 190 million. Washington Post reporting
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#82 Dec 13, 2008
Orioles just signed Chad Moeller
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#83 Dec 13, 2008
The Orioles should show some heart to a good guy:

Just trade Brian Roberts so he can escape the MISERY of being in Baltimore!!!

Hasn't he suffered enough!!

Since: Nov 08

Cockeysville, MD

#84 Dec 13, 2008
ThePeoplesElbow wrote:
Wow..I gotta' know more here. This is liked the forced public peeling of a dysfunctional onion...so many shameful layers. I don't comment on this site about many things, but know crazy when I read it. That is how I first noticed Joe's rampant delusions of grandeur today.
Joe is the biggest goof you will ever run into.I really thought he was really a normal guy but as the months have past and i have studied some of his verbage on here , i now know that he has way more female attributes then male. There is no doubt about it.

“Baltimore Fan Forever”

Since: Jun 08

Greensboro, NC

#85 Dec 13, 2008
The Orioles have been making some good moves. Many here don't think that they are doing enough but they are slowly putting together a team for the future. Pitching for the '09 season is going to be a concern. DCab had a lot of promise but never really could put it all together. The Orioles were wise to let him go.

On the farm, the Orioles have some good arms. However, that will not help the O's this season. They need to sign some pitchers to fill the voids in the rotation.

I, like many others, had been frustrated for years. However, I do see some positive change under McPhail. The Orioles were in such bad shape before he arrived that it will take time to build the team into a contender.

Also, even if the Orioles do everything right, they have to contend with the free-spending of the Yankees and Red Sox. It will always be an uphill battle for the Orioles.
jbkj

Columbia, MD

#86 Dec 13, 2008
NCBirdfan wrote:
It will always be an uphill battle for the Orioles.
As long as PA owns the O's this is true.

“Baltimore Fan Forever”

Since: Jun 08

Greensboro, NC

#87 Dec 13, 2008
jbkj wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as PA owns the O's this is true.
I agree that PA is the primary reason the O's are where they are now. However, I am hoping McPhail can turn it around. What I have seen in the past two years gives me that hope.
jbkj

Columbia, MD

#88 Dec 13, 2008
NCBirdfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that PA is the primary reason the O's are where they are now. However, I am hoping McPhail can turn it around. What I have seen in the past two years gives me that hope.
I've seen a 4th place and last place finish in the past two years, how is that hopeful?
jon dey

Saint John, Canada

#89 Dec 13, 2008
Sorry joe but I have to agree with Ghost and a few others. This is a vert,very,very poorly run team. As long as we have "Peter The Great" the owner and I don't care who the GM is, this team ain't goin nowhere. You can sugarcoat it any way you want and giggle the minor league stats untill they suit you. "Peter The Great" has killed this team for $$$$$$$$. As for Cabrera, I wish him well. There's a lot of potential there and you can bet your a $$ somebody will pull it out of him.
Joe

Waldorf, MD

#90 Dec 13, 2008
lance917 wrote:
<quoted text>Joe is the biggest goof you will ever run into.I really thought he was really a normal guy but as the months have past and i have studied some of his verbage on here , i now know that he has way more female attributes then male. There is no doubt about it.
You know what the sadest point is beyond your chasing after another message board poster to fight him? Or you having to constantly resort to crudeness? What's saddest is that after this team is turned around you will be nowhere to be found. You proved on the Terrapin board that you are nothing more than a coward and a liar. You bashed that team in your embittered style just as you do every team, stating the coach must be fired, you kool-aid drinkers are delusional, and this team wont win again this year and if they do I come on here and admit I was wrong.

Funny thing happened though, the Terps beat Carolina in their next game but where was Bob? Or Lance or whatever he is calling himself this week. Where was the Mea Culpa? Where was the I was wrong, I admit it? See that whats so galling about posters like yourself and Ghost you are great at playing the bully and love to rub in any possible misery (because your miserable)but when things turn around, you wont be around, in the end your nothing but a coward.
Joe

Waldorf, MD

#91 Dec 13, 2008
jon dey wrote:
Sorry joe but I have to agree with Ghost and a few others. This is a vert,very,very poorly run team. As long as we have "Peter The Great" the owner and I don't care who the GM is, this team ain't goin nowhere. You can sugarcoat it any way you want and giggle the minor league stats untill they suit you. "Peter The Great" has killed this team for $$$$$$$$. As for Cabrera, I wish him well. There's a lot of potential there and you can bet your a $$ somebody will pull it out of him.
Of course my position is tougher to defend, that dosen't mean I am going to quit on my team just as they are finally getting competent, autonomous leadership for the first time in a decade. But you keep on with your boring, redundant "Peter The Greats" even though he is no longer in the picture.
T-Bone

Gainesville, VA

#92 Dec 13, 2008
90 posts about a pitcher most are happy to see let go. DCab was horrible and should never have been pitching at the major league level. Whoever they bring up or in cannot do much worse.
GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!
Mr Baseball

Baltimore, MD

#93 Dec 13, 2008
lance917 wrote:
Hasn't everybody on here grown sick and tired of JOE. It's the same old thing day in and day out. Always defending the orioles to the death no matter what. He is sickening if you ask me. He is the only real fraud on here. Time to go Joe
That's because Joe works for the Orioles. Everything he says is designed around getting the fans to buy into this crap that we are a small market/expansion team that can't spend any money and our only choice is to bet the house on prospects. This is a very poor plan. Joe has never answered the question of what happens when your prospects don't pan out. Do you wait another 10 years? As Joe mentioned yesterday, Hughes and Kennedy have been huge busts so far for the Yankees. They can survive that because they spend money on the Major League roster. What happens if Tillman and Matzus stink? What about if Weiters can't hit a big league curve ball? We have to start over and wait another 5 years for more prospects to develop. This plan has a low percentage of working. Prospects are best used if you have a solid big league club and can slowly bring them up to fill certain holes. We are putting everything on them. Imagine the pressure Weiters has right now. If he gets off to a slow start the town will panic.
rob

United States

#94 Dec 13, 2008
rebuilding is going to take more than a year to see positive results. otherwise we wouldn't be rebuilding, we'd be finalizing a good squad. i no it sucks but we gotta be patient for a few more years as the pieces begin to come together. we do have some solid pitching prospects down in the minors and our young hitters are starting to come together. unless we get something huge in return, please give markakis and roberts what they want so they stay here
Mr Baseball

Baltimore, MD

#95 Dec 13, 2008
SevernDave wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Ghost calls it as HE is predicting it will be. He's already condemned Tillman, Matusz, Weiters, and every other player in the Orioles' farm system to failure. That's nothing more than his opinion. He's criticized the team for making room for Weiters behind the plate. I guess Tampa made a BIG mistake when they moved Igwamura to 2nd to make room for Longoria, huh? There was no guarantee that Longoria was gonna be a good major leaguer, just like there's no guarantee that Weiters will be. Good moves by MacPhail:
- getting rid of fat boy Hernandez to make room for Weiters.
- the Bedard trade.
- the Tejada trade.
- getting rid of Cabrera and Gibbons.
- drafting and signing Weiters and Matusz.
Are these moves GUARANTEED to pan out? Of course not. But at THIS point in time, they makes loads of sense. Once we get to 2015 and look back on this time period, it would seem to me that Joe and Ghost have equal shots at looking like "the all knowing one". Angelos is the wild card. If he leaves Andy alone, I think the team will be MUCH better within 3 years. But if the little Greek gets feisty again, we're screwed.
I agree with all the moves you listed there but they are not enough. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face but what if even two of those top prospects don't pan out? We are relying on guys that were in college or HS a couple of years ago to enable the Orioles to challenge the Yankees and Red Sox? I'm tired of this myth that the Orioles can't spend money to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. It's just not true and the fact that the fans have set their sights so low is depressing. Angelos is a very rich man even without the Orioles. He chooses not to spend the money because he doesn't care about winning. Draft picks are gambles and as the O's past history have shown they don't usually pan out. Even Ben McDonald, one of our most heralded picks, didn't live up to potential. You can acquire young talent with Major League experience and still develop your farm system. They are not mutually exclusive events. You just don't get guys like Jay Payton, Steve Trachsell, and Kevin Millar.

“CB Coach”

Since: Dec 08

Kent Island

#96 Dec 13, 2008
Orioles depth chart at SP. Just look bet your heart is pumping on this one. Anyway at least Cabrera is not there any longer. Hernandez, Bergesen, Matusz, Tillman and Penn should all get chances also. Bounce them up in down from the minors to the majors as the situation calls for.

1. J. Guthrie
2. G. Olson
3. C. Waters
4. R. Liz
5. M. Albers
6. T. Patton
7. D. Baez
Mr Baseball

Baltimore, MD

#97 Dec 13, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Now why would I care if anyone on an Internet message board liked me? Remember Blob, I keep things in perspective, I would never go to fight someone over something as insignificant as this as you did. I would say I have unerved you for exposing you as a lunatic, that much is true. Likewise, "Mr. Baseball" hates when I bring up that he didn't know about a change in the game that occoured 8 years ago and that hampers his understanding of himself to be an expert. But these are just stating the truth, they are facts and to a lunatic like yourself or a poser like "Mr. Baseball" the truth hurts, I understand that.
Joe, you're a fraud. One day you say Izturis is a great signing then the next say that the O's should never go after a player because he has a .312 OBP. Izturis has a .299 career OBP. Nice try. I hope the Orioles are paying you well considering you make a fool out of yourself every day. I know it's an impossible position to defend but the fact that you do it and hate on other people for not agreeing is deplorable. I actually think Bob or whoever your nemesis on here is called has more class.
Mr Baseball

Baltimore, MD

#98 Dec 13, 2008
CBcoach wrote:
Orioles depth chart at SP. Just look bet your heart is pumping on this one. Anyway at least Cabrera is not there any longer. Hernandez, Bergesen, Matusz, Tillman and Penn should all get chances also. Bounce them up in down from the minors to the majors as the situation calls for.
1. J. Guthrie
2. G. Olson
3. C. Waters
4. R. Liz
5. M. Albers
6. T. Patton
7. D. Baez
Looks like a 110 losses to me. We should have traded for Scott Olsen and we should acquire Ben Sheets. We wouldn't have to give up much for either. That could keep us around .500 and our new guys could come up next year as 4 and 5 starters. Of course then our draft pick wouldn't be as high and we'd have to spend a little more money so Joe won't like that.
ThePeoplesElbow

Crofton, MD

#99 Dec 13, 2008
The fact is, and some of you need to hear it, is I LOVE Wieters...but he is one "Casey Jones" trainwreck/misguided foul tip at the plate (he plays, by far, the most violent position in baseball...I've been on both the giving and receiving end of these collisions) from being rendered inactive/ineffective for the rest of his career. I don't like to admit it, but some of my closest friends are Yankee fans. They love to see us change all the smelly diapers and do the 3 a.m. feedings on guys like Markakis and Wieters and then snatch them once they have stopped teething and messing up the furniture. If you don't believe me, Boog needs to start putting some Lexapro in the community Kool-Aid.
Mr Baseball

Baltimore, MD

#100 Dec 13, 2008
CBcoach wrote:
1. J. Guthrie
2. G. Olson
3. C. Waters
4. R. Liz
5. M. Albers
6. T. Patton
7. D. Baez
I think it goes without saying that this is one of the worst starting rotations in Major League history.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min woodtick57 1,125,469
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr cpeter1313 306,230
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr UnderstandPeople 19,376
Baltimore on Orkin Rattiest City List 10 hr numberonepestcont... 1
Need help to get down! Mon sweetenvy 1
Review: Atas Marc J Mon Briansaul 5
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) Sun VeganTiger 54,518
Baltimore Dating
Find my Match

Baltimore Jobs

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baltimore

Personal Finance