Top 10 most important U.S. presidents

Before we pick our next leader, it would be a good idea to look back at some of the most noteworthy presidents we've had so far. Full Story
David

Cave City, KY

#1 Nov 3, 2008
I picked George Washington as our greatest president. Why? because he set the precedent for all to follow and emulate. Getting the nation founded and held together so that our form our government could last was on his shoulders. Abraham Lincoln is a close second. The whole thing could have become completely unraveled and stayed that way had it not been for Lincoln. Third, I pick Teddy Roosevelt, a great man of integrity and on Mt. Rushmore. He got so much started, food laws, broke up monopolies, and unlike some of our last Republican presidents, he cared about the working man and woman.(He was a Republlican) Fourth - It has to go to Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Social Security, and many other government programs that help the common person began under him. Brought the nation through the Great Depression and WWII. Fifth - Goes to Thomas Jefferson. he was a visionary man, Forsaw expansion of the country like it is today. Purchased the Lousisian Purchase in 1803 from France. Sent Louis & Clark on ther explorations west. Sixth - Must go to Andrew Jackson - Led the expansion of the country even more, although at the expense of the American Indian in the east. That hurts his rating some. Ronald Reagan has to be up in their somewhere though, He helped to bring down the Soviet Union to end the Cold War. I didn't agree with many of his other policies though. Must rank high though for the one reason.
uglo

Yorktown, VA

#2 Nov 3, 2008
I agree with all except Franklin Roosevelt, Gerald Ford, and Lyndon Johnson. Kennedy is a maybe in my book also.
Mark Waggoner

Newport News, VA

#3 Nov 3, 2008
JFK was not the youngest; Teddy Roosevelt was 42 when McKinley was murdered in 1901. JFK was 43.
Lee

AOL

#4 Nov 3, 2008
Teddy Roosevelt was 42 when he TOOK over McKinley's presidency, but JFK was the youngest ELECTED president.
ShipGirl

Newport News, VA

#5 Nov 3, 2008
How about Washington being number one because he REFUSED to be crowned King?

Unlike certain people running for president these days, he understood that he would be the servant of the people, ALL the people. There is no place for a King in this country - never has been, never will be.

I guess that is all I have for now.
David

Cave City, KY

#6 Nov 3, 2008
Shipgirl, You are right on that, about the king stuff. Washington could have crowned himself and stayed on until his death. I had pretty much forgotten about that, and that has to adds to his greatness. Lincoln place in our history is undeniable. Think of the many who hated him, of course when you count the south there were even more. Lots of people in the north even hated him, because he wouldn't let the south have their independence. The 1864 election with George McCellan on the other ticket showed that. Lincoln almost lost and would have, had Gen. Grant not some some great victories.
Milly

Austin, TX

#7 May 11, 2010
I think Andrew Jackson, James K. Polk, and Thomas Jefferson were the best.
Kayla

Norfolk, VA

#8 May 31, 2010
Washington and Lincoln,

I was just telling my husband the other day how I wished we could have some of the great past presidents back to get our country running again.
Josh

Long Valley, NJ

#9 Feb 8, 2011
1.Washington
2.Lincoln
3.FDR
4.Wilson
6.Teddy
7.Polk
8.Reagan
9.Truman
10.LBJ
11.Kennedy

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#10 Feb 24, 2011
1.) Washington
2.) Jefferson
3.) Lincoln
4.) Teddy
5.) FDR
6.) Truman
7.) Ike
8.) LBJ
9.) Nixon
10.) Reagan
11.) G.W. Bush
12.)JFK
Muddy

Wise, VA

#11 Feb 28, 2011
Squach wrote:
1.) Washington
2.) Jefferson
3.) Lincoln
4.) Teddy
5.) FDR
6.) Truman
7.) Ike
8.) LBJ
9.) Nixon
10.) Reagan
11.) G.W. Bush
12.)JFK
G.W. Bush was a buffoon who trashed the economy and got us into an endless war. Reagan was a disaster and many of the problems we have today can be traced back to Reagan's sem-fascist policies!!

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#12 Feb 28, 2011
Muddy wrote:
<quoted text>G.W. Bush was a buffoon who trashed the economy and got us into an endless war. Reagan was a disaster and many of the problems we have today can be traced back to Reagan's sem-fascist policies!!
The request was for the most "important" presidents. Regardless of whether you approve of them or not you must admit that the Reagan and GWB presidencies were "important". They were pivotal times. I'm not arguing their politics, just noting the importance of the decisions made on their watch. Just one man's opinion.
LalalalaMirra

Rockport, IN

#13 Nov 9, 2011
I believe President Barack Obama is doing a terrible job as a president.
Johnny Bravo

Belle Mead, NJ

#14 Nov 17, 2011
LalalalaMirra wrote:
It's not like anyone could be a successful president during these times.
NOah

Baker City, OR

#15 May 3, 2012
hi
Noah

Baker City, OR

#16 May 3, 2012
I think the linkon is
Jordan

Rosedale, MD

#17 Feb 28, 2013
1)Jefferson
2)Washington
3)Lincoln
4)FDR
5)JFK
dangergirl

Mariposa, CA

#18 May 13, 2013
out of all our presidents Obama ranks zero!
babysitter2540

United States

#19 Nov 13, 2013
LalalalaMirra wrote:
Why what's wrong with Barack Obama huhhhhhh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min King Clutch 1,129,383
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Life is Love 306,363
Student arrested for 'passing gas' and turning ... (Nov '08) 6 hr RACE 5,663
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Fred 19,408
Girls send me nudes Wed Justinedwards55 1
Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) Oct 28 Homo Erectus 120,210
June Wing Oct 27 rebecca Freeman 1
Baltimore Dating
Find my Match

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baltimore

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]