Years after flying the O's coop, Phil...

Years after flying the O's coop, Phillies GM still delivering

There are 25 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Years after flying the O's coop, Phillies GM still delivering. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The champagne-spewing, trophy-holding Philadelphia Phillies buzzed all around the septuagenarian, who patiently answered questions from the media and accepted congratulations from everyone else.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GHT

Portland, OR

#22 Oct 31, 2008
Ghost Oriole wrote:
But he exited in 1998 when his contract expired, leaving behind a swollen payroll, an acrimonious relationship with club owner Peter Angelos and a scuffling franchise that has not sniffed .500 since.
----------
Dan,
Congrats on being a shill for Peter Angelos. You've actually managed to smear the only GM who took the O's to the playoffs as an employee of said Greek.
I guess going to the playoffs two out of three years CAUSED the team to go into decline, according to your logic. Oh, and you blame Pat Gillick for an "acrimonious" relationship with Angelos. Gee, it seems EVERYONE has that relationship with that pint-sized egomaniac.
Gillick builds winners. Period.
Angelos is a loser.
And your line about "leaving behind a bloated payroll" is just a lie. Angelos signed Albert Belle AFTER Gillick left/was tossed out. The team payroll INCREASED in 1999 and 2000, so how exactly did Gillick leave that behind?
The 1998 team went 79-83. That's the BEST record the team has posted since 1997.
Loser O's fans and writers love to take shots at the best people the organization has seen for decades (Mussina comes to mind) while praising selfish players like BJ Surhoff and Melvin Mora.
the title of the article states that, "Phillies GM still delivering". I think you need to take off your ex-ray vision eyes, you're reading too much into it.
Ghost Oriole

Southampton, PA

#23 Oct 31, 2008
Here's a great example of what the Orioles SHOULD HAVE DONE:

Marlins trade Jacobs to Royals for relief pitcher Nunez

Thursday, October 30, 2008

MIAMI -- The Florida Marlins traded power-hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs on Thursday to the Kansas City Royals for relief pitcher Leo Nunez. The Marlins were shopping Jacobs because he was due a big raise in arbitration, and have plenty of options at first base. In exchange, they got a right-hander who throws in the mid-90s. "We are trading from an area of depth to an area we wanted to create more depth in," said Larry Beinfest, Marlins president of baseball operations.---------

Jacobs is not Mark Teixeira, but to pick him up for a relief pitcher? Seriously?

That was a steal, and as usual, the Orioles are sitting around watching things happen.

The Royals trade a relief pitcher with a career ERA of 4.92, and pick up a guy who hit 32HR's in 141 games this year. Is Jacobs perfect? No. Is he a bargain and would he be a good investment with an upside at age 27?

YES.

I predict the following:

1) "Real O's fans" pick out the flaws of Mike Jacobs while assuring themselves that Tex wants to play for a last place team.

2) Kevin Millar returns and those same fans defend the move because Millar is "a good clubhouse presence."

3) Last place awaits.

“Baltimore Fan Forever”

Since: Jun 08

Greensboro, NC

#24 Oct 31, 2008
Ghost Oriole wrote:
But he exited in 1998 when his contract expired, leaving behind a swollen payroll, an acrimonious relationship with club owner Peter Angelos and a scuffling franchise that has not sniffed .500 since.
----------
Dan,
Congrats on being a shill for Peter Angelos. You've actually managed to smear the only GM who took the O's to the playoffs as an employee of said Greek.
I guess going to the playoffs two out of three years CAUSED the team to go into decline, according to your logic. Oh, and you blame Pat Gillick for an "acrimonious" relationship with Angelos. Gee, it seems EVERYONE has that relationship with that pint-sized egomaniac.
Gillick builds winners. Period.
Angelos is a loser.
And your line about "leaving behind a bloated payroll" is just a lie. Angelos signed Albert Belle AFTER Gillick left/was tossed out. The team payroll INCREASED in 1999 and 2000, so how exactly did Gillick leave that behind?
The 1998 team went 79-83. That's the BEST record the team has posted since 1997.
Loser O's fans and writers love to take shots at the best people the organization has seen for decades (Mussina comes to mind) while praising selfish players like BJ Surhoff and Melvin Mora.
Ghost,
I gotta give you credit on this one. Gillick would probably not have left the Orioles back then if Angelos would not have interfered with his authority. And Mussina would still probably be an Oriole if the Orioles would have given him a decent offer - any offer for that matter. The Orioles management pulled his chains for too long and Moose really was pushed into signing with the Yankees. Mussina, arguably the Orioles' best pitcher in the past 2 decades, really wanted to stay with the Orioles, but for some unknown reason, the Orioles had no interest in him. I still haven't forgiven the Orioles for that.
Rohan M

Ellicott City, MD

#25 Nov 7, 2008
I like to move it you like to move it
Howard Maniloff

Raleigh, NC

#26 Nov 26, 2008
The one constant in the O's 11 straihht ;osing seaso hs been the presence of the owner, Peter Angelos. No one doubts mr. Angelos's wish to field a winning team--just his rediness to do what achieving this goal might require: for example, retaining the services of th players good enough to be part of a winning team. Mr. Angelos has owned the o's during the loing years and when several top players left, comvinced they were nit valued by the O's. (Think Mike Mussina and B.J. Ryan)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Cheech the Conser... 1,522,892
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr New york 20,976
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr ThomasA 313,988
Black People are MEAN and DIRTY 7 hr Sarah 2nd Grade 3
Juvenile facility (Montrose School or others) i... (Aug '06) 10 hr margaret worden 409
News Oprah Winfrey says she weighs 200 pounds (Dec '08) 11 hr silly rabbit 1,085
News Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) 14 hr nature lover 113,773

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages