Off-duty officer shot, killed by city officer

There are 38 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Apr 24, 2008, titled Off-duty officer shot, killed by city officer. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

A city police officer shot and killed a fellow, off-duty officer this morning during a fight outside a bar in Southeast Baltimore, a department spokesman said this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
B-Rob

Fort Washington, MD

#1 Apr 24, 2008
If someone draws a weapon and points it at an officer, I think they have the right to fire. But we don't know if it was directed at the officer. If the victim was at a bar, it is a good possibility that he was intoxicated... which can lead to poor judgment. Who knows. This will be another one that will fall between the cracks of our system.
Mike

Waynesboro, PA

#2 Apr 24, 2008
Is anybody surprised that the trigger happy balto. city police have managed to kill one of there own. And remember it is their story that the off duty officer pulled his gun first, you have to remember that the police lie for a living, even when it involves killing one of their own! When is the public going to wake up and reign in these thug police . they are the largest and best armed gang in the city,
Dontlikemike

AOL

#4 Apr 24, 2008
Hey Mike I'll give you twenty dollars and a free ride to the haven bar and give you a toy pistol to try to recreate exactly what happened. Oh I forgot you probably don't like nude women.
Jim

Sykesville, MD

#6 Apr 24, 2008
I am so blessed now to know that if I drive through Orleans Street and am stopped by one of Baltimore's finest that his judgement may be impaired by being hung over from a night of drinking and oogling some of Baltimore's most gorgeous women. Thank God the Carey Foundation is pumping millions ino Baltimore to try to lift it up, but sadly I do not have enough years left to see it happen.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#7 Apr 24, 2008
Mike wrote:
Is anybody surprised that the trigger happy balto. city police have managed to kill one of there own......
Hey Mike, thats last thing we want to do is shoot someone, I have sleepless nights just thinking about what if I have to shoot someone. Thats the last thing I ever ever want to do. Imagine having to live the rest of your life knowing you have taken someones life regardless if you or the publics life is in danger. Oh and Mike if you dislike the police, next time your in trouble, call a hippie.
Ryan

Baltimore, MD

#8 Apr 24, 2008
At least the hippies won't rob, rape, and beat you up like the baltimore city police. Or maybe sexually assualt an underage family member. I think all of that stuff has happened in the last month. Maybe it would be better to call the hippies.
Rootsman

Ellicott City, MD

#9 Apr 24, 2008
Guns for everyone huh gunfreaks. Even police officer can't get it right, and you expect citizens to? As evidenced before, it won't work in big anonymous cities where no one knows on another. Mayb ein small towns where everyone knows if someone is suspicous or not, but arming a densely populates metropolis are the ideas of the ignorant.

Location hidden

#10 Apr 24, 2008
Yeah let me know how that works out for ya when you come home and someone has sexually assaulted your 12 year old daughter. Oh yeah call a hippie.
MDdarling

United States

#11 Apr 24, 2008
Undue use of force!!! Typical of Many in Blue...similar case where lost a friend, a brother, a father, and husband. Now it happens in another in BLUE. Maybe new directives will come out of this! It's sad and shameful of BPD. There are better ways to handle a situation like this. What are the officer's doing???
confused

Sarasota, FL

#12 Apr 24, 2008
Call a "HIPPIE"??? What year is this,1967?

Location hidden

#13 Apr 24, 2008
Sometime during the melee, Officer John Torres encountered Officer Stamp, who was a patron at the bar and not in uniform. The commissioner says Officer Stamp pulled out brass knuckles.

"Officer Torres commanded Stamp to stop and he did not," said Baltimore Police Commissioner Frederick Bealefeld.

So Officer Torres fired his department-issued Taser, hitting Stamp.

"While Officer Stamp was on the ground, he withdrew his handgun. Officer Torres, having no recourse, fired two shots from his department-issued weapon, striking Officer Stamp at least one time," said Bealefeld.

Police say there is no indication Officer Stamp ever identified himself as an officer.

Officer Torres did everything by the book.
Ryan

Baltimore, MD

#14 Apr 24, 2008
So the officer is in possesion of illegal weapons?
if I had a pair of brass knuckles i would go to jail. I guess it is ok for cops to break the law. oh wait they do it all the time. Baltplce are somethings to think about. Cops and criminals score the same on behavior profile tests, look it up. Should the unjust be allowed to rule the just.
The reason my 12 year old daughter got raped was because some beat cop is busy meeting quotas for speeding tickets.
Critter

Arlington, VA

#15 Apr 24, 2008
You had to know Norm, And please lets not be stupid. Come on I want to know also what will happen when you call a hippie. Will they had the perp some pot? Will they stop them with their unwashed feet? Norm will be missed.
BaltPlce wrote:
Yeah let me know how that works out for ya when you come home and someone has sexually assaulted your 12 year old daughter. Oh yeah call a hippie.
An Experienced Officer

Parkville, MD

#16 Apr 24, 2008
Who's to say Norman Stamp didn't identify himself as an officer, the cop who shot him, Torres? That's convenient. Norman can't tell his side of the story now can he? Having personally known Norman Stamp for over 25 years, I find it hard to believe that he didn't identify himself as an officer especially with 44 years of experience under his belt.
Ryan

Baltimore, MD

#17 Apr 24, 2008
What about having illegal weapons? Sounds like a real honest guy. There are very few good cops left after 44 years. And come the @#$% on if you don't belive it.
Tony

United States

#18 Apr 24, 2008
Anyone who wants to complain about brutality of Baltimore City Police officers should try to walk a mile in their shoes. With an inept/corrupt jucicial system where a well-financed criminal can get off, these guys are already at a disadvantage before they hit the street. No, it doesn't justify shooting someone before they are properly identified, but my only question is, why didn't he show his I.D. when police showed up? You would think he would try to diffuse the situation where deadly force might be used, not have it escalate by brandishing brass knuckles. Truly sad.
Winston Smith

Mount Airy, MD

#19 Apr 24, 2008
what a suprise, the baltimore police force shot someone. Truth be told, i am failing to find them completely culpable for the incident. Shooting a firearm is physically less demanding than tackling and restraining. Since the police in this city receive unfare wages and the city seems to be long several million rounds of ammuition, it is only logical for them avoid any sort of perspiration and just fire a gun in lieu of physical activity.

In the Defense of the BCDP, I am sure that after a while reporting to stip club fights seem more like like a penance than a job. Perhaps this incident is the result of camel's back breaking somewhere in some desert.
Winston Smith

Mount Airy, MD

#20 Apr 24, 2008
*strip club fights (final paragraph)
ddd

Glenwood, MD

#21 Apr 24, 2008
Will someone explain to me what the hell is a 65 year old cop doing in strip club off pulaski? What on earth could they have been fighting about if it wasn't drugs, money or prostitution?
Redheadxr7babe

AOL

#22 Apr 24, 2008
Going to a strip club during his off duty hours IS NOT against the law. Not every person who goes to a strip club is involved in drugs or prostitution. Norman Stamp was a stand-up guy... anyone who knew him knew this. This is a sad day for his brothers... all over. My condolences to his wife and daughter and his many brothers and friends. He will be greatly missed. Norm always had a smile, a good word and most times a bad joke. I know where ever he is... he's on the back of a bike with the wind in his lil bit of hair. Much love to you Norm.... thanks for the 44 years that you were able to give.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min lucid 1,233,058
27 wounded 9 dead 1 hr pewpew 2
Violent Memorial Day in Baltimore Without a Spe... 2 hr Culture Auditor 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Bam 19,928
News Seniors' moment, Navy's Niumatalolo says (Dec '07) 2 hr tom wingo 4
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr momma chamberlin 309,876
Baltimore: The most racist city in America! 10 hr joey 2
More from around the web

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]