Spanish public TV channel draws fire ...

Spanish public TV channel draws fire in Md.

There are 133 comments on the News Journal story from May 27, 2007, titled Spanish public TV channel draws fire in Md.. In it, News Journal reports that:

“The reality is that this channel will enhance the intellect not just of Hispanics, but of all other open-minded individuals.”

Maryland Public Television's plan to launch a Spanish language channel is drawing complaints from critics who charge that the publicly funded organization should not be catering to an individual ethnic group. via News Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Journal.

Sandy5274

United States

#42 Jun 27, 2007
OMG! Hot Dang Rebel I see ya'll did it again,
and attracted another bunch of Illegal Aliens
and Psychos to follow you around as well! lol

Since: Mar 07

United States

#43 Jun 27, 2007
prober wrote:
Another thing i've noticed is that although some native spanish speakers use a perfectly understandable english, the style of it differs from the style found in the continental usa and it looks like many persons reject it. But the many styles of spanish found throughout latinamerica and spain are perfectly accepted by all people. how come is that ??? are spanish speakers more tolerant in that respect???
If you really want to be honest -- you'll admit that other Spanish speakers really don't much like the style of Spanish spoken in Mexico.

I've heard Puerto Ricans actually mock the Mexican way of speaking Spanish -- how slowly a Mexican will speak it, draw out certain words. And Cubans don't seem to like the Mexican form of Spanish too much.
prober

San Nicolás De Los Garza, Mexico

#44 Jun 28, 2007
black night, black night
spread all it´s gloom
the mist appears
withers the light

and in the darkest
point of my life
star-like you were born
light up my life

come shed your light
on the arid pathway
were my soul wanders
with crazy pain

at least you give me
a little hope
that fortifies
my broken soul

like in the nights
the mist is born
and in the gardens
the flower grows
that´s how my darling
in my tired life
you were born too

i clearly see
behind the window
you´re angel face
showing lovely

i feel sooooo haaaaappppyyyyy
inside my soul
there is no darkness
there´s no more darkness
your eyes lights all.

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#45 Jun 28, 2007
prober wrote:
black night, black night
spread all it´s gloom
the mist appears
withers the light
and in the darkest
point of my life
star-like you were born
light up my life
come shed your light
on the arid pathway
were my soul wanders
with crazy pain
at least you give me
a little hope
that fortifies
my broken soul
like in the nights
the mist is born
and in the gardens
the flower grows
that´s how my darling
in my tired life
you were born too
i clearly see
behind the window
you´re angel face
showing lovely
i feel sooooo haaaaappppyyyyy
inside my soul
there is no darkness
there´s no more darkness
your eyes lights all.
Stop writing us love poems. The Bill failed. Your relatives are coming home!
Born in USA

United States

#46 Jun 28, 2007
sinajuavi wrote:
Very racist. Spanish correlates with low intellect? LOL. There is a lot more fine literature produced in Latin America in CASTILIAN than in the USA in ENGLISH. Why is that? Well, they have more culture, for one thing.
More languages are good. There are a lot of ethnic groups who speak Castilian. You cannot say that this caters to one ethnic group. There are many ethnic groups speaking Castilian in the USA: Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Guatemalans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Peruvians, not to mention many Native Americans in the USA such as Ohlone and Gabrielinos, and a number of white and black Americans who speak it and appreciate having some Spanish tube to watch.
Fear of a language is SO tacky. The USA is notoriously monolingual, a global laughingstock, really. You should all be striving to solve that problem, rather than exacerbate it.
Obviously racism clouds your thinking.
This is America! SPEAK SPANISH!
Lets see who has the last laugh NOW THAT THE IMMIGRATION BILL WENT DOWN IN FLAMES! THIS IS AMERICA AND WE SPEAK ENGLISH AND OUR VOICE ARE LOUD!

Since: Jun 07

United States

#47 Jun 28, 2007
Rebel wrote:
Unreal! What is it with catering to Spanish speaking people? This is an English speaking country! Let's get it together and stop this nonsense.
There is no OFFICIAL Language In this Country. So what is the big deal. I don't see you hitting the ceiling about People who speak French(like in New Orlands). SO GET OVER IT.

United States

#48 Jun 28, 2007
malamute wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really want to be honest -- you'll admit that other Spanish speakers really don't much like the style of Spanish spoken in Mexico.
I've heard Puerto Ricans actually mock the Mexican way of speaking Spanish -- how slowly a Mexican will speak it, draw out certain words. And Cubans don't seem to like the Mexican form of Spanish too much.
If you think that, you have no Idea what you are taking about.

United States

#49 Jun 28, 2007
Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's great! Stay in Mexico! If you come here, speak English! If you don't care to speak English, then stay in Mexico. It really is that simple.
What is it with you and Mexico? Most of the People that currently live in DC/MD/VA area are from El Savador, Honduras Guatemala Not Mexico
prober

San Nicolás De Los Garza, Mexico

#50 Jun 28, 2007
and you thought of yourself
the queen of all the world...

and you that never wanted
to pardon other´s faults...

that merciless and ruthless
use to laugh at the whole world
now you implore some mercy
´cause you´re in need of love.

now where is all that courage
now where is all that pride
cause now you feel defeated
you´re beggin for some love
well now you see it differs
to love or to be loved
now that you are abandoned
how pathetic you are!!

oh God damned superb heart
i´m so glad now you suffer
i´m so glad now you cry
for this immense dear love

life is a big roulette
in which we all take stakes
and always you had had
a perfect lucky hand
but now that all that fortune
has turned on you it´s back
you realize you´ve failed.... oh yes! you´ve failed!

don´t gamble more my heart !!

de milagro vivimos... Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!!

#51 Jun 28, 2007
Azteka wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it with you and Mexico? Most of the People that currently live in DC/MD/VA area are from El Savador, Honduras Guatemala Not Mexico
WTF are you talking about? The person I was responding to IS LOCATED IN MEXICO. Shut your trap unless you bother to go back and read why I said what I said. I'm not even in DC/MD/VA, so why are you bringing up those states??? That makes little or no sense. Go get an education.

#52 Jun 28, 2007
Azteka wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no OFFICIAL Language In this Country. So what is the big deal. I don't see you hitting the ceiling about People who speak French(like in New Orlands). SO GET OVER IT.
The de facto language is ENGLISH. 30 states have English as the official language on its books (including ILLINOIS), and 12 more have legislation pending. Federal laws are not the only ones that count.
KulturKampf

Howell, NJ

#53 Jun 28, 2007
Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
The de facto language is ENGLISH. 30 states have English as the official language on its books (including ILLINOIS), and 12 more have legislation pending. Federal laws are not the only ones that count.
Yeah! And if you can't speak English, buy a muppet!
KulturKampf

Howell, NJ

#54 Jun 28, 2007
Sandy5274 wrote:
OMG! Hot Dang Rebel I see ya'll did it again,
and attracted another bunch of Illegal Aliens
and Psychos to follow you around as well! lol
Yeah. Like flies to a pile of dung

Fort Washington, MD

#55 Jun 28, 2007
Mayday wrote:
<quoted text>
The illegals are always using their children. They are too lazy to learn English themselves. A good parent would not use their child like the illegals do. Yes knowing other languages is a GOOD thing but in the US we have the freedom to learn other languages besides spanish. The spanish speakers are the only ones too lazy to learn English. I very seldom see other legal immigrants and illegal aliens from other countries that can't speak English. It's always spanish speakers that are monolingual.
TOO LAZY TO LEARN ENGLISH???? THINK THAT AFTER WORKING 2 -8 HOUR JOBS, THEY HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GO TO SCHOOL TO LEARN ENGLISH???

United States

#58 Jun 28, 2007
Azteka wrote:
<quoted text>
TOO LAZY TO LEARN ENGLISH???? THINK THAT AFTER WORKING 2 -8 HOUR JOBS, THEY HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GO TO SCHOOL TO LEARN ENGLISH???
How many illegals do you know that work 2 - 8 hour jobs? A whole lot less than are getting WIC and food stamps, laying around all day watching Mexican novelas, not working at all.

Don't be a drama queen. It does not take 8 hours a day for 20 years to learn a little English.

United States

#59 Jun 28, 2007
Azteka wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think that, you have no Idea what you are taking about.
If you think all other Spanish speakers think Mexicans speak it the best -- then you have no idea what you are talking about. Find me ONE Puerto Rican who insists that Mexican Spanish is better than Puerto Rican Spanish. Just ONE.

United States

#60 Jun 28, 2007
Azteka wrote:
<quoted text>
Another lost Aztec. So far from home! Illinois isn't even close to the ancestral home of the Aztecs.

Or are you another one of those nutcases that is going to insist that the Aztecs ruled over all the Indian tribes of North America, that the Iroquois and Hurons bowed to their Aztec masters.

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#61 Jun 28, 2007
KulturKampf wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. Like flies to a pile of dung
Ahhhh! So you ADMIT to being a dung sniffer! Or at best a mere fly in MY universe?
Sandy5274

United States

#62 Jun 29, 2007
Rebel Trolls Like Kultur Are Too Dumb To Even
Be Able To Speak English!

“Resistance is futile!”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#63 Jun 29, 2007
sinajuavi wrote:
Mexico is controlled by foreign capital, so the blame goes to the big money and power, including the USA.
Spanish was spoken FIRST in the USA. Mexicans lived FIRST in many states, long before any gringos arrived.
Spanish was spoken before French or English in the USA even in Illinois and Indiana, not to mention along the Mississippi River, in LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, NM, AZ, TX, OK, KS, CO, UT, NV and CA.
The children of illegal immigrants grow up in the USA and speak English. What you are doing is insisting that new immigrants immediately speak English. Why should they not conduct business in Spanish. They are adults. YOU try learning a new language when you are adult. It is not that easy.
The immigrants I know generally speak SOME English, to varying levels, depending on their progress. Their children speak it well, and are always translating for them in stores, banks, etc.
Sounds like these immigrants are mostly bilingual. Is that a problem for you? Knowing other languages is a GOOD thing, that's why they teach them in highschool and college, get it?
¡qué estúpido!
Actually, the various INDIAN languages were spoken first in America, until the spanish-speaking conquistadores pillaged, raped and ravaged the native people and their various civilizations.

I have no problem with someone being bilingual; I have a HUGE problem with people who come here illegally (with chips on their shoulders) DEMANDING that we citizens and our government bow down to and cater to them.

First,be proficient in the language of the nation you are going to; second,go to that nation LEGALLY; third,have something to offer that nation and don`t expect to leech off of the services that nation provides for it`s citizens; fourth,leave your attitude at the border and DO NOT come here demanding citizenship! Get your ass in line with everyone else!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min bob53h 1,563,460
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr cpeter1313 315,165
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Thomas 7233 20,965
News Bristol Man Injured In Scooter, Car Collision (Jun '08) 14 hr Tonysidotijr 12
News More than 30 BoatHouse Canton employees leave a... 17 hr Mister Jeremy 2
News Hopkins initiative aims to solve entrenched pro... 18 hr Michu Pichu 1
The Baltimore Inner Harbor Cruise Complete Tour... Wed NewYorkView 1

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages