Spanish public TV channel draws fire in Md.

May 27, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News Journal

“The reality is that this channel will enhance the intellect not just of Hispanics, but of all other open-minded individuals.”

Maryland Public Television's plan to launch a Spanish language channel is drawing complaints from critics who charge that the publicly funded organization should not be catering to an individual ethnic group. via News Journal

Comments
21 - 40 of 133 Comments Last updated Sep 3, 2012
Born in USA

United States

#21 May 29, 2007
sinajuavi wrote:
Very racist. Spanish correlates with low intellect? LOL. There is a lot more fine literature produced in Latin America in CASTILIAN than in the USA in ENGLISH. Why is that? Well, they have more culture, for one thing.
More languages are good. There are a lot of ethnic groups who speak Castilian. You cannot say that this caters to one ethnic group. There are many ethnic groups speaking Castilian in the USA: Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Guatemalans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Peruvians, not to mention many Native Americans in the USA such as Ohlone and Gabrielinos, and a number of white and black Americans who speak it and appreciate having some Spanish tube to watch.
Fear of a language is SO tacky. The USA is notoriously monolingual, a global laughingstock, really. You should all be striving to solve that problem, rather than exacerbate it.
Obviously racism clouds your thinking.
This is America! SPEAK SPANISH!
BEWARE all you invaders from the your third world countries AMERICANS WON'T GIVE UP! YOU WILL NOT TAKE OUR COUNTRY FROM US WITHOUT A FIGHT. THE SLEEPING GIANT IS AWAKE AND HE IS PISSED! WWW.NUMBERSUSA.COM
prober

Monterrey, Mexico

#22 Jun 25, 2007
i suspect that spanish is hard-die languaje cause itīs plain much better coherent and beutiful than english, and native spanish speakers feel terribly unconfortable leaving a superior languaje for a more difficult one to use and speak. itīs like using the metric system and then going into a country that uses only englihs messy units like inch, pounds, ounces, pints, yards ,and so on . well its only my opinion... gde milagro vivimos... Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!!
FLS

Westminster, CO

#23 Jun 25, 2007
sinajuavi wrote:
Mexico is controlled by foreign capital, so the blame goes to the big money and power, including the USA.
Spanish was spoken FIRST in the USA. Mexicans lived FIRST in many states, long before any gringos arrived.
Spanish was spoken before French or English in the USA even in Illinois and Indiana, not to mention along the Mississippi River, in LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, NM, AZ, TX, OK, KS, CO, UT, NV and CA.
The children of illegal immigrants grow up in the USA and speak English. What you are doing is insisting that new immigrants immediately speak English. Why should they not conduct business in Spanish. They are adults. YOU try learning a new language when you are adult. It is not that easy.
The immigrants I know generally speak SOME English, to varying levels, depending on their progress. Their children speak it well, and are always translating for them in stores, banks, etc.
Sounds like these immigrants are mostly bilingual. Is that a problem for you? Knowing other languages is a GOOD thing, that's why they teach them in highschool and college, get it?
Ąqué estúpido!
Wrong on that one, unless you mean the Native American Indians. Mexicans are not Spanish, only Spanish speaking for they are a mixture of Native Indians and Spanish. They are not La Raza either because they are a mixture of races, not one. The Spanish did explore much of the area in search of gold and did settle in some areas but did not own them. The Mexicans came later as did the Anglos. Speaking two or more languages is wonderful, but here in the United States we choose English as our language, for most spoke English. All who immigrated to the US learned English quickly because the wanted to be citizens. Many did keep their old language also. I know that it takes time to learn a new language but now what you are saying is that we must speak Spanish and them not learn English is wrong. I could not move to another country and demand they speak English and make it so everything was printed in English also. If you come or want to come to the US you should speak English, you can retain your Spanish. You will never learn English if you never speak it, if I moved to Mexico to live I would need to learn Spanish. We only ask that they do try, what is happening is that many do not want to be US citizens, but Mexican living here. When we divide a country into separate cultures, separate languages, than you lose that country and we would no longer be united. English was the glue that kept us together. All countries need a bonding language to survive. We want to stay with English and we want to stay the United States of America. It would be wonderful if we could be a United Earth, but right now they’re too many differences among mankind. As far as the US being to blame for all of this, I believe if you all tried to chanhe
FLS

Westminster, CO

#24 Jun 25, 2007
Meant to say change your corrupt government as we are trying do ours things may get better than trying blame others.

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#25 Jun 25, 2007
prober wrote:
i suspect that spanish is hard-die languaje cause itīs plain much better coherent and beutiful than english, and native spanish speakers feel terribly unconfortable leaving a superior languaje for a more difficult one to use and speak. itīs like using the metric system and then going into a country that uses only englihs messy units like inch, pounds, ounces, pints, yards ,and so on . well its only my opinion... gde milagro vivimos... Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!!
Whew! Another uneducated, illiterate ILLEGAL ALIEN! Go home!

And if you don't wish to learn and speak a language a particular country has, then here's a novel idea: DON'T GO THERE TO LIVE AND/OR WORK. If you choose to go there to live and/or work, then you'll just have to learn the language, speak it and like it.

#26 Jun 25, 2007
prober wrote:
Oh, and all the Europeans seem to be able to learn it and gladly speak it -- quite easily, I might add. So one can only guess that those who can't or won't learn it and speak it are of a lower intellect than the rest. What else is someone to guess, considering anyone who is grateful to be in this country and who respects it and its peopld would most certainly WANT to speak its language.
prober

Monterrey, Mexico

#28 Jun 26, 2007
i do like english but spanish makes much more sense in the way that unfortunatly english phonetically is messy īcause the vowels and many consonants in many cases sound different in different words while in spanish itīs almost always the same sound for each letter .
with very few exceptions to this rule.
another example is that spelling bees in spanish donīt exist cause itīs so easy to spell in spanish but not in english.
prober

Monterrey, Mexico

#29 Jun 26, 2007
Another thing i've noticed is that although some native spanish speakers use a perfectly understandable english, the style of it differs from the style found in the continental usa and it looks like many persons reject it. But the many styles of spanish found throughout latinamerica and spain are perfectly accepted by all people. how come is that ??? are spanish speakers more tolerant in that respect???

#30 Jun 26, 2007
prober wrote:
i do like english but spanish makes much more sense in the way that unfortunatly english phonetically is messy īcause the vowels and many consonants in many cases sound different in different words while in spanish itīs almost always the same sound for each letter .
with very few exceptions to this rule.
another example is that spelling bees in spanish donīt exist cause itīs so easy to spell in spanish but not in english.
Well, goody for you -- just stay in Mexico and it won't be a problem. If you choose to come to the USA, then we don't care what you prefer, your ass better be speaking English (along with your mouth).
prober

Monterrey, Mexico

#31 Jun 26, 2007
for all those who donīt want to switch to spanish....

thou you may waste your time without my love
thou you want not the love iīm offering you
thou you will not pronounce my humble name
in any case i do will always love you

i know youīll never ever ever want to love me
that for your love iīm always late for coming
please understand itīs not my fault, please donīt despise me
because itīs you the one iīve dreamed of loving

whats wrong for you if i adore you
if you dont love me it is ok i understand you
perfectly i know i was not born for you
but now what can i do
if already love you

just let me live my life the way as i do
i love you just the way that you are
without the hope that you will love me one day like i do
i know that in my life youīll never love me too

maybe tomorrow i will wakeup lonely
but for the time being i want still be dreaming
donīt wake me up, donīt you see itīs happiness for me
for sure i know my love... you will never love me

no need for your despise for me my darling
put yourself in my place and see what youīve do
the difference between you and i might possibly be that
that me in youīre place
that me in youīre place.....

would surely love you !!!

de milagro vivimos... Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!!
prober

Monterrey, Mexico

#32 Jun 26, 2007
sorry for the errors but i think itīs understandable still...
like in the last part should be:
put yourself in my place and see what youīd do

de milagro vivimos -.. Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!
Born in USA

United States

#33 Jun 27, 2007
Great Song pass it along!

#34 Jun 27, 2007
prober wrote:
for all those who donīt want to switch to spanish....
thou you may waste your time without my love
thou you want not the love iīm offering you
thou you will not pronounce my humble name
in any case i do will always love you
i know youīll never ever ever want to love me
that for your love iīm always late for coming
please understand itīs not my fault, please donīt despise me
because itīs you the one iīve dreamed of loving
whats wrong for you if i adore you
if you dont love me it is ok i understand you
perfectly i know i was not born for you
but now what can i do
if already love you
just let me live my life the way as i do
i love you just the way that you are
without the hope that you will love me one day like i do
i know that in my life youīll never love me too
maybe tomorrow i will wakeup lonely
but for the time being i want still be dreaming
donīt wake me up, donīt you see itīs happiness for me
for sure i know my love... you will never love me
no need for your despise for me my darling
put yourself in my place and see what youīve do
the difference between you and i might possibly be that
that me in youīre place
that me in youīre place.....
would surely love you !!!
de milagro vivimos... Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!!
WTF? You're writing us love poems?

Please, go back to whatever psychiatric hospital you escaped from.
Nikki M

Moorestown, NJ

#35 Jun 27, 2007
I really don't see the big deal. Most citizens in other countries around the globe speak more than one language. I happen to speak four. English, Spainish, French, and Japanese. I do not think it should be a requirement to speak more than one lanuage, but to throw a fit over a Spainish channel is just silly. Now as far as publically funding this channel I really do not have an opinion either way.
prober

Mexico

#36 Jun 27, 2007
please evolve and start speaking spanish leave english behind....
spanish is the better languaje ... english is hard to ear because of all the variant sounds for the letters which makes it confusing...
spanish is phonetically superior and easy to ear.
as for "my poem" itīs just a free translation of a famous spanish song, nothing that can hurt anybody,,sooo please relax and dont show that much aggresivnness that the whole world hates from the usa. if a publicly funded broadcaster have spanish services itīs because have many spanish speaking users which also pay taxes. and by the way please evolve too into metric units ... those english units
are used only in mianmar (i think thats the name of the country)and usa
prober

Mexico

#37 Jun 27, 2007
spanish is better, beautifuler (je,je),funnier, stronger, diviner,and i can speak it too!... have fun with spanish!
la mujer argentina a su marido: esta noche voy a hacer el amor afonica...
el esposo: como???
sin vos.....:) ;) lol.lol.lol.
prober

Mexico

#38 Jun 27, 2007
come on gimme a break! tell me a joke cause iīm in the mood! clowns to the left of me jokers to the right here i am back in the middle of this!!!
life is a miracle... Glory to God in the heavens!!!
prober

Mexico

#39 Jun 27, 2007
looks like a sort of neo manifest destiny that in estados unidos will be a bilingual population..... welll in any case iīm prepared for it...
joke...
en un velorio un tipo le dice a la viuda comadre suya, al ver al difunto...lo siento comadre, lo siento... ella dice... no compadre asi dejelo acostadito... lol.lol.lol.
de milagro vivimos...
hasta la vista guys...!!!

Gloria a Dios en las alturas!!!
Whitey

Falls, PA

#40 Jun 27, 2007
It is because MD is one of eight states that gives Illegals Drivers licenses--it is a Sanctuary State--but not for long

#41 Jun 27, 2007
prober wrote:
spanish is better, beautifuler (je,je),funnier, stronger, diviner,and i can speak it too!... have fun with spanish!
la mujer argentina a su marido: esta noche voy a hacer el amor afonica...
el esposo: como???
sin vos.....:) ;) lol.lol.lol.
Well, that's great! Stay in Mexico! If you come here, speak English! If you don't care to speak English, then stay in Mexico. It really is that simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min PDUPONT 1,099,858
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr Samuel-6g-Jackson 18,855
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Big Sky 305,444
Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) 11 hr Raptor in Michigan 120,152
One Action Movie Can Damage a Mind for Life 17 hr Culture Auditor 1
Review: Dundalk Animal Hospital - Dennis G Fost... (Jan '09) 23 hr time 26
gay hookup in maryland Wed mdtowson 3
•••
•••
Baltimore Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000