Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...
Comments
120,821 - 120,840 of 121,142 Comments Last updated Tuesday Jul 29

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Nice pic, Rap! He looks a bit ruffled though. LMAO!
Thank you, Squach. I was the one a bit ruffled. Especially after standing motionless for over 30 minutes and freezing my a** off waiting for him to come into view for a decent shot. Then realizing all I had to do was kneel down and shoot below the branch that was blocking my view! LOL

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Video of the day:

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Squach. I was the one a bit ruffled. Especially after standing motionless for over 30 minutes and freezing my a** off waiting for him to come into view for a decent shot. Then realizing all I had to do was kneel down and shoot below the branch that was blocking my view! LOL
Couldn't see the forest for the trees, eh? I hate when that happens. I've had some similar experiences hunting. Sat in my stand for hours without seeing a thing and then on the way back into camp jumped one up that had been bedded down all morning, less the 30 yards from my stand in a laurel thicket!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Couldn't see the forest for the trees, eh? I hate when that happens. I've had some similar experiences hunting. Sat in my stand for hours without seeing a thing and then on the way back into camp jumped one up that had been bedded down all morning, less the 30 yards from my stand in a laurel thicket!
I hate when that happens.

I got him today though! And I got him good!

After sitting outside in the cold waiting and waiting and waiting, I almost gave up and came home. Instead I decided to look out the bedroom window hoping to see him on the other side of the cabin. All I saw was a blue jay hopping around. Then with a stroke of luck, the grouse just happened to be farther out there in the woods and approaching quickly. Talk about perfect timing!! I got into the other bedroom, window already open and screen already out in anticipation that this is where the photo-shoot would happen and I was able to get him on approach and feeding for several minutes.

Then the blue jays started creating a ruckus and he got nervous and disappeared into the brush. He climbed up on a stump and then I lost track of him. After reviewing some of my many shots to make sure they turned out, I closed the window and reached up to lock it. When I looked up, guess who I saw sitting up in the pine above the feeding area!!! Yep....I got him again!! He is sneaky and clever for sure!

Many weeks and dozens of hours of tracking him, hiding and waiting finally paid off. That was fun! Here are some of the shots:
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Pages/GameBi...

Next adventure....There was a Northern Saw-whet Owl calling during the nights the past few weekends up there. Next time I go I have an owl to find!

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

<quoted text>
I hate when that happens.
I got him today though! And I got him good!
After sitting outside in the cold waiting and waiting and waiting, I almost gave up and came home. Instead I decided to look out the bedroom window hoping to see him on the other side of the cabin. All I saw was a blue jay hopping around. Then with a stroke of luck, the grouse just happened to be farther out there in the woods and approaching quickly. Talk about perfect timing!! I got into the other bedroom, window already open and screen already out in anticipation that this is where the photo-shoot would happen and I was able to get him on approach and feeding for several minutes.
Then the blue jays started creating a ruckus and he got nervous and disappeared into the brush. He climbed up on a stump and then I lost track of him. After reviewing some of my many shots to make sure they turned out, I closed the window and reached up to lock it. When I looked up, guess who I saw sitting up in the pine above the feeding area!!! Yep....I got him again!! He is sneaky and clever for sure!
Many weeks and dozens of hours of tracking him, hiding and waiting finally paid off. That was fun! Here are some of the shots:
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Pages/GameBi...
Next adventure....There was a Northern Saw-whet Owl calling during the nights the past few weekends up there. Next time I go I have an owl to find!
Yep! Looks like ya got 'im. Nice pics. Good luck getting a shot of the owl. Do you shoot with night vision? Or are you going to try to catch it in daylight?
saxsax

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

youtube.com/watch...
Get a Grip on Reality

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Yep! Looks like ya got 'im. Nice pics. Good luck getting a shot of the owl. Do you shoot with night vision? Or are you going to try to catch it in daylight?
Thank you, Squach.

The owl will be much easier to find at night while he's calling, but to shoot him at night, I'd have to use the flash, or have someone hold a flashlight on him. I'd have to haul a steady tripod though the woods in the dark. Not an ideal situation with all the downed trees, stumps, logs and branches and uneven ground with deep snow drifts.

I much prefer shooting in bright daylight. Luckily, this little owl has a habit of roosting very low in a tree near clearings and he typically doesn't fly away when approached. A friend once found one four feet off the ground in her yard in the city.

I've noticed some rodents at the feeding areas, so I'm thinking he won't be too far from the house.

I'm gonna try to be up before daylight, to hear the direction he's calling from. If it's feasible, I'll search for him then, just to get a general area of where to search in the daylight. If not, I'll wait until the sun comes up and take my chances.

Maybe the chickadees will find him for me. The other birds often give clues as to hiding predators. This one isn't much bigger than a sparrow.

Can't wait until the weekend!

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Thank you, Squach.
The owl will be much easier to find at night while he's calling, but to shoot him at night, I'd have to use the flash, or have someone hold a flashlight on him. I'd have to haul a steady tripod though the woods in the dark. Not an ideal situation with all the downed trees, stumps, logs and branches and uneven ground with deep snow drifts.
I much prefer shooting in bright daylight. Luckily, this little owl has a habit of roosting very low in a tree near clearings and he typically doesn't fly away when approached. A friend once found one four feet off the ground in her yard in the city.
I've noticed some rodents at the feeding areas, so I'm thinking he won't be too far from the house.
I'm gonna try to be up before daylight, to hear the direction he's calling from. If it's feasible, I'll search for him then, just to get a general area of where to search in the daylight. If not, I'll wait until the sun comes up and take my chances.
Maybe the chickadees will find him for me. The other birds often give clues as to hiding predators. This one isn't much bigger than a sparrow.
Can't wait until the weekend!
Good luck and happy hunting!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Jakeco wrote:
Well, looks like I'm about to take a job in Elko, Nv. Looks like the hunting, fishing, and general outdoor activities may be fantastic!
Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of this area?
Sorry, I can't help you there. I've been to Vegas quite a few times, but that was years ago. Congratulations and good luck with your new position.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Jakeco wrote:
Well, looks like I'm about to take a job in Elko, Nv. Looks like the hunting, fishing, and general outdoor activities may be fantastic!
Appears to be good hunting in the area.
http://www.exploreelko.com/hunting.shtml
Bear against Hunters

Nottingham, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

We won.

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Bear against Hunters wrote:
We won.
Really? When did this happen? Bear hunting has been reinstated around here. I guess you could call that a victory....if you hunt bear.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Bear against Hunters wrote:
We won.
I'm fairly certain the Ravens won and not the bears.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Jakeco wrote:
I love Co. but is it ever changing. I may have to go to Wyo. or somewhere else.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

A few months back it was disclosed through the media that the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area was repowering with new safer turbines. With their new turbines Altamont was going to drastically reduce the bird mortality rate by 80 percent and raptors by 67 percent. We were led to believe that this major upgrade was going to drastically reduce the number of bird kills in the Altamont region while increasing energy production. This highly publicized move was received as good news across the world because thousands of eagles and tens of thousands of other raptors have been slaughtered at the wind turbines of Altamont Pass.

I began to think about it. The turbine designs haven't really changed, they 're just bigger. I did not understand how this could be possible. So I set out on a journey to find out if the new turbines really are safer for birds and raptors.

Why is my opinion important? I am a wildlife biologist, an expert on birds of prey, and I tell it the way it is. I have even done my own research in the Altamont pass area before wind turbines were installed. The wind turbine issue has been of great concern to me because protected and rare species have been getting chopped up in great numbers at Altamont for over 30 years. Some will say this is not my business and they will be wrong. Dead eagles are my business.

Over the years I have seen the wind industry answer to this problem. Environmental laws have been changed in their favor, the industry has virtually no regulations, they have their own army (of) biologists, and as far as they are concerned, wind turbines belong just about everywhere the wind blows. Their money has always won and the golden eagles as well as all other raptors, have always lost.

I now have a different story to tell. It is important because the scientific studies that were used to bring us this good news are loaded with seriously flawed information. In addition, this false information is now being used to sell even more turbines to the ignorant across the world. Ignored is the fact that if something is not done, we are going see major population declines of nearly every raptor species across the world. This includes the extinction of several species. All caused by the uncontrolled installations of the propeller style wind turbine.

For this critique I have looked through decades of reports and studies on Altamont Pass. To sum it up, Altamont Pass is one big mess and mortality is really much worse than what is being reported. I will explain why and hope to bring some clarity to a very complex set of circumstances. Some of what I have to say is quite tedious but in the end I believe everyone that reads this, will never think of Altamont pass or any other wind farm, in the same light again.

To read more:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bird-slaughte...

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
I love Co. but is it ever changing. I may have to go to Wyo. or somewhere else.
Oklahoma isn't sounding too bad, MB.

Oklahoma is the only state that Obama did not win even one county in the last election... While everyone is focusing on Arizona ’s new law, look what Oklahoma has been doing!!!!

An update from Oklahoma :

Oklahoma law passed, 37 to 9 an amendment to place the Ten Commandments on the front entrance to the state capitol. The feds in D.C., along with the ACLU, said it would be a mistake. Hey this is a conservative state, based on Christian values...! HB 1330

Guess what.......... Oklahoma did it anyway.

Oklahoma recently passed a law in the state to incarcerate all illegal immigrants, and ship them back to where they came from unless they want to get a green card and become an American citizen. They all scattered. HB 1804. This was against the advice of the Federal Government, and the ACLU, they said it would be a mistake.

Recently we passed a law to include DNA samples from any and all illegal's to the Oklahoma database, for criminal investigative purposes. Pelosi said it was unconstitutional SB 1102

Guess what......... Oklahoma did it anyway.

Several weeks ago, we passed a law, declaring Oklahoma as a Sovereign state, not under the Federal Government directives. Joining Texas , Montana and Utah as the only states to do so.

More states are likely to follow: Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Carolina's, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, West Virginia, Mississippi and Florida. Save your confederate money, it appears the South is about to rise up once again. HJR 1003

The federal Government has made bold steps to take away our guns. Oklahoma, a week ago, passed a law confirming people in this state have the right to bear arms and transport them in their vehicles. I'm sure that was a setback for the criminals The Liberals didn't like it -- But....Guess what.......... Oklahoma did it anyway.

Just this month, the state has voted and passed a law that ALL drivers’ license exams will be printed in English, and only English, and no other language. They have been called racist for doing this, but the fact is that ALL of the road signs are in English only. If you want to drive in Oklahoma , you must read and write English. Really simple.

By the way, the Liberals don't like any of this either

Guess what...who cares... Oklahoma is doing it anyway.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Oklahoma isn't sounding too bad, MB.
Oklahoma is the only state that Obama did not win even one county in the last election... While everyone is focusing on Arizona ’s new law, look what Oklahoma has been doing!!!!
An update from Oklahoma :
Oklahoma law passed, 37 to 9 an amendment to place the Ten Commandments on the front entrance to the state capitol. The feds in D.C., along with the ACLU, said it would be a mistake. Hey this is a conservative state, based on Christian values...! HB 1330
Oklahoma recently passed a law in the state to incarcerate all illegal immigrants, and ship them back to where they came from unless they want to get a green card and become an American citizen. They all scattered. HB 1804. This was against the advice of the Federal Government, and the ACLU, they said it would be a mistake.
Recently we passed a law to include DNA samples from any and all illegal's to the Oklahoma database, for criminal investigative purposes. Pelosi said it was unconstitutional SB 1102
Guess what......... Oklahoma did it anyway.
Several weeks ago, we passed a law, declaring Oklahoma as a Sovereign state, not under the Federal Government directives. Joining Texas , Montana and Utah as the only states to do so.
More states are likely to follow: Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Carolina's, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, West Virginia, Mississippi and Florida. Save your confederate money, it appears the South is about to rise up once again. HJR 1003
The federal Government has made bold steps to take away our guns. Oklahoma, a week ago, passed a law confirming people in this state have the right to bear arms and transport them in their vehicles. I'm sure that was a setback for the criminals The Liberals didn't like it -- But....Guess what.......... Oklahoma did it anyway.
Just this month, the state has voted and passed a law that ALL drivers’ license exams will be printed in English, and only English, and no other language. They have been called racist for doing this, but the fact is that ALL of the road signs are in English only. If you want to drive in Oklahoma , you must read and write English. Really simple.
By the way, the Liberals don't like any of this either
Guess what...who cares... Oklahoma is doing it anyway.
Wyoming is more my style.

I see this thread has about died. The usual suspects have gone on to try and influence others trying to convince them hunting is bad.

I hope all is well with you and that your son has gotten better.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

^^^OOPS^^^ I thought I was replying to Squach. Been studying all day and my eyes hurt.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Medicinebow wrote:
^^^OOPS^^^ I thought I was replying to Squach. Been studying all day and my eyes hurt.
Raptor is the one covered with feathers.
Squach is the hairy one.
:)

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

LOS ANGELES (AP)— The daughter of former astronaut Mark Kelly was walking her dog Shiner on Goff Island Beach when the dog bolted, ripping the leash from her hand and fatally attacking a beached baby sea lion.

Video showed the owner and two other women struggling several minutes in vain to pull the dog off the sea lion. As his daughter screamed and cried, Kelly arrived and grabbed the collar. He shook the dog's head until it released the bloodied mammal, which later died.

Kelly is married to former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was wounded in a shooting in Tucson, Ariz., in 2011. His daughters, Claudia and Claire, are from a previous marriage.

Laguna Beach police said they did not plan to press charges because it did not appear the owner was at fault in the attack Saturday, Capt. Jason Kravetz said Tuesday. The bulldog mix was leashed and legally on the beach below the exclusive Montage Resort.

A necropsy was performed at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center and results were turned over to the National Marine Fish Services, a spokeswoman for the marine mammal center said late Tuesday. Attempts to contact a spokeswoman at that agency did not succeed because her voicemail was full.

In addition, Laguna Beach police checked with Texas authorities, where the dog and his owner live, and found Shiner had a clean record. Kravetz said there were no prior attacks or even any nuisance calls.

If there had been a history of aggression, authorities could have taken action against the dog.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also does not expect to take legal action, spokesman Jim Milbury said.

"We will have to wait for all the facts to come in, but it appears to be an unfortunate accident," he said.

Federal law protects marine animals. The state has no jurisdiction, a spokeswoman said.

Earlier in the day Saturday, officers had removed the same sea lion from a storm drain, Kravetz said.

"This is a regrettable and traumatic incident for the animals and the people involved," said Madeline Bernstein, president of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles. "Perhaps this will lead to more research and recommendations for peaceful coexistence between domestic animals and local wildlife."

Chasing, hunting or attacking animals like cats and squirrels comes naturally to some dogs, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said in a statement. In this case it was a vulnerable sea lion.

If the dog has not shown any other signs of aggression, the family should take new precautions and do all they can to make sure no future incidents occur. "But they should not punish the dog," the statement said.

Giffords was not present during the attack, according to a spokeswoman for the gun control advocacy group the couple recently started.

"Mark was alerted to the situation and came to the beach himself," said Jen Bluestein of Americans for Responsible Solutions.

Gun advocates seized on the incident to criticize Kelly, who has called for background checks for gun buyers.

Several people suggested on his Facebook page Tuesday that background checks might also be considered for dogs whose owners can't control them or those that are a threat to the public. Kravetz said he had gotten several similar calls throughout the day.

A dog attacks and kills an animal and it makes news.
A cat kills birds and animals day after day, and there are millions of cats roaming the wild, and nobody says a word.
That's just not right.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baltimore