Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...
Comments
120,621 - 120,640 of 121,142 Comments Last updated Tuesday Jul 29

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
We're talking about bears. You stated they'd do well in D.C. Explain how bears would do well there.
You can back up your claims can't you?
When did DC come into the converstaion? I said they may be needed in other counties where there is a shortage.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
When did DC come into the converstaion? I said they may be needed in other counties where there is a shortage.
http://www.topix.com/forum/baltimore/TCH7UNUU...

D.C. came in to the conversation when YOU brought it up.

Hello....anyone home?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello....anyone home?
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain the available food sources for bears in the counties surrounding D.C.
Don't know, but then I've never been to D.C. I have been to the Rockies Mountains though- a number of tmes- and even when food in the mountains is scarce, they always manage to fid it in other places. Bears are adaptable. I'm sure they would do just fine in D.C.

Sorry, maybe I should have said "I'm sure they would do just fine in the counties SURROUNDING D.C." in response because THAT was your question.

I would never support putting bears in any big city because people are mean, ignorant and careless... and bears would get hurt.

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Raptor South of Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the Paul you want me to call? Why do you want me to call him?

I wrote
"I don't want you to call Paul.
Your the one that wants MD to consider relocating bears.
Paul's the right guy to talk to."
<quoted text>
No, I don't.
http://www.topix.com/forum/outdoors/hunting/T...
If the bear population is dangerously low in the other Maryland counties, would relocation be a better option to sustain a healthy bear population within the entire state...with a future goal of being able to hunt them in ALL counties?

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Medicinebow wrote:
In honor of Veterans Day tomorrow i'd like to say thanks to all that have served.
You're welcome. I also want to thank those who have served as well as our future veterans :)

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello....anyone home?
Nothing new here MB. Raptor is simply replaying the HSUS strategy on shutting down bear hunting in Maryland.

The rationale is to appeal on multiple levels to not do something.

Shut down bear hunting to the extent that you can by banning the use of dogs because it's not "sporting."

That'll get some hunters to not use dogs, and some hunters to not hunt period.

Do the same thing with bait....call that unsporting as well.
That'll get some hunters to not use bait.

Then when you're finished with all of the reasons to shut down hunting because it's 'unsporting' go after sport hunting.

That's some seriously screwed up logic.

Of course HSUS could always tell us what kind of hunting they advocate/support or would allow. The problem in doing so is that it creates problems with the 'logic' they (try to )use elsewhere....

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, maybe I should have said "I'm sure they would do just fine in the counties SURROUNDING D.C." ....
What's the basis for this level of certainty?
Which counties in Maryland have you been in?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

peteoo wrote:
Raptor South of Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the Paul you want me to call? Why do you want me to call him?
I wrote
"I don't want you to call Paul.
Your the one that wants MD to consider relocating bears.
Paul's the right guy to talk to."
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/outdoors/hunting/T...
<quoted text>
Read my words carefully, Pete.
".....would relocation be a BETTER option...."
Relocation is only an alternative to death. Not ideal, but better.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome. I also want to thank those who have served as well as our future veterans :)
Me too. In addition to thanking the veterans, I would also like to thank anyone who contributes anything at all to our society anymore.
The only thing that's a bummer is since it's a holiday, we get no mail today.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing new here MB. Raptor is simply replaying the HSUS strategy on shutting down bear hunting in Maryland.
The rationale is to appeal on multiple levels to not do something.
Shut down bear hunting to the extent that you can by banning the use of dogs because it's not "sporting."
That'll get some hunters to not use dogs, and some hunters to not hunt period.
Do the same thing with bait....call that unsporting as well.
That'll get some hunters to not use bait.
Then when you're finished with all of the reasons to shut down hunting because it's 'unsporting' go after sport hunting.
That's some seriously screwed up logic.
Of course HSUS could always tell us what kind of hunting they advocate/support or would allow. The problem in doing so is that it creates problems with the 'logic' they (try to )use elsewhere....
"Raptor is simply replaying the HSUS strategy on shutting down bear hunting in Maryland."
I have never met anyone who eats bear meat. I've heard that some people have "tried" it before, but it's not served as a main dish in any family I know of. Maybe I'm wrong. So, yes, if people don't eat it, I'm against killing it- unless it's in self-defense. There is also too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the basis for this level of certainty?
Which counties in Maryland have you been in?
None.

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
"Raptor is simply replaying the HSUS strategy on shutting down bear hunting in Maryland."
I have never met anyone who eats bear meat. I've heard that some people have "tried" it before, but it's not served as a main dish in any family I know of. Maybe I'm wrong. So, yes, if people don't eat it, I'm against killing it- unless it's in self-defense. There is also too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed.
In Maryland the odds of getting one are pretty high.
You have about a 1 in 6 chance of drawing a tag.
You then have about a 1 in 7.5 chance of getting a bear.

Of the guys I've known who have drawn tags, only one has gotten a bear. He shared it.

I got a burger.
There was a slight difference between that and ground beef.
Most families I know have ground beef on a regular basis.
Do you eat ground beef?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
In Maryland the odds of getting one are pretty high.
You have about a 1 in 6 chance of drawing a tag.
You then have about a 1 in 7.5 chance of getting a bear.
Of the guys I've known who have drawn tags, only one has gotten a bear. He shared it.
I got a burger.
There was a slight difference between that and ground beef.
Most families I know have ground beef on a regular basis.
Do you eat ground beef?
Of course I eat ground beef. So you had a bear burger and found little difference. Does that mean you now have a preference for bear meat? How many other people do you know that craves bear for dinner?

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

I'd like to take a moment to THANK all of those who have served and those currently serving our country. There is no greater contribution than that made by the young men and women who stand between us and our enemies. There is no greater sacrifice than that made by those who fall making that contribution.

THANK YOU! Happy Veterans Day!

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Of course I eat ground beef. So you had a bear burger and found little difference. Does that mean you now have a preference for bear meat? How many other people do you know that craves bear for dinner?
This is another run at flawed logic Raptor.

You seem to be suggesting that if someone doesn't eat it, as a preference, or as a main dish, with any degree of regularity, it's something they shouldn't be eating.

Otherwise... why bring it up?

You could have said, "So, yes, if people DO eat it, I'm okay with killing it BUT there is too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed, so I'm against it."

Or is your beef burger okay and my bear burger not okay, because I don't eat one at a high enough frequency and you do?

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
I don't. I'd take a bear or a beef burger.
Can't say I 'crave' either one.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You seem to be suggesting that if someone doesn't eat it, as a preference, or as a main dish, with any degree of regularity, it's something they shouldn't be eating.
You could have said, "So, yes, if people DO eat it, I'm okay with killing it BUT there is too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed, so I'm against it."
Or is your beef burger okay and my bear burger not okay, because I don't eat one at a high enough frequency and you do?
I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs.

If people do eat bear meat, then no I'm not against them being hunted for it- provided it is done with no "collateral damage" AND it's done in a humane way. That is my hope for ANY hunted species.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

It doesn't look like a bobcat to me. How cool is this? More mountain lions making appearances in MI? It looks just like what I saw walking along the edge of the woods along the highway one night as I was heading up north.
http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2012/...

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Good points.
Good questions.
Good luck.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

<quoted text>
I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs.
If people do eat bear meat, then no I'm not against them being hunted for it- provided it is done with no "collateral damage" AND it's done in a humane way. That is my hope for ANY hunted species.
"I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs."

Yes you have.
The problem with that is, the same can be said about any and every other prey animal out there, so your "logic" plane does not fly. You have also been informed multiple times by myself and others that the regulations do NOT allow any females taken with cubs at side.

There is "collateral damage" with EVERY death on this planet. Get over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baltimore