Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...
Comments
120,441 - 120,460 of 121,142 Comments Last updated Tuesday Jul 29

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Medicinebow, the point and shoot camera I had been using for landscapes and macro took a dump. The ISO button doesn't work (which also used to advance my photos to the right to view them) and my outdoor pictures have a blue tint to them.

I can get it fixed, or break down and buy a new lens for my Canon EOS60D.
Which lens would you recommend for landscapes?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/produc...

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt some do it.
Large numbers? You sound like Mamasita...making a claim with nothing to back it.
Have proof? Put it up.
Of course I don't have proof. That can't be obtained until they are caught, tried and convicted. The problem is they work hard at not getting caught.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"I don't know of anyone that shoots an antlered animal and doesn't consume it."
You might not know any, but unfortunately, they exist. I'd bet they exist in large numbers.
<quoted text>
I suspect that the stats in that area are being purposefully or at best ignorantly distorted. Her claim of nine here and seven or so over there (whatever the numbers were) seems to be interpreted as an equal number of hunters as there are dead deer. The facts are more likely to be, that one or two persons are responsible for the multiple illegal deaths, and wanton abandonment, in any given area where multiple carcasses are found.
I agree. In that case it probably is the handy work of just one or two people. But cases like this can be found all over. You think that same individual, or pair of idiots, traveled to other states and did the same thing?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

<quoted text>
I agree. In that case it probably is the handy work of just one or two people. But cases like this can be found all over. You think that same individual, or pair of idiots, traveled to other states and did the same thing?
Will you ever learn to read the entire post or link?
Did you miss this part ... the very last part of that post?
"in any given area where multiple carcasses are found."

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Medicinebow, the point and shoot camera I had been using for landscapes and macro took a dump. The ISO button doesn't work (which also used to advance my photos to the right to view them) and my outdoor pictures have a blue tint to them.
I can get it fixed, or break down and buy a new lens for my Canon EOS60D.
Which lens would you recommend for landscapes?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/produc...
If it were me i'd buy another lens. Take a look at this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351542-...

It probably isn't worth fixing the P&S camera. I know the lens I listed isn't cheap but it's perfect for landscapes.

“I Love California”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

President Obama is coming here Monday to designate this man's home as a national monument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Chavez

I hope everyone has heard of Cesar Chavez. I wonder how many people are aware that he was vegan, and a supporter of animal rights. So not only did he fight his entire life for better conditions for farm workers, he also had room to think of the humane treatment of animals as well.

I also wonder how many people are aware of the brutally hard hands on work that for instance grape vineyard workers do to get those grapes to market. Backbreaking work in 100 degree weather, I see them picking grapes by hand to this day. Waving and smiling to me as I walk by them on my breaks. Years ago they had to endure sucking fumes from pesticides and falling down dead from heat and exhaustion. Cesar Chavez historically changed conditions for our farm workers. Just goes to show that a great person can care for people AND animals.

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Since: Jan 09

Double Lung em

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Mamasita wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a grip ! Stealing a seagulls food. You did. Egregious animal cruelty varies from person to person. Some people, like yourself, think killing an animal for amusement and a big rack is awesome. I think it's egregious animal cruelty. I think sport fishing is cruel. I think sport hunting is especially cruel where these hunters go out and kill the trophy animal. Yes, and I'm not the only one.
And I know plenty ! I know all about greedy hunters and fishermen that deplete our forests and waters for sport and nothing else. The damage you all do is immeasurable. Maybe you could sell the rack or dead fish on eBay for a nice profit too, or blood money.
Haven't been here for quite a while but I see that prevarication, embellishment and theater of the absurd are still your favorite methods of communication, Mamasita. Could you please tell us about the stringless crossbows for old times sake ?

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Since: Jan 09

Double Lung em

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Hi gang ! Hope you are all doing well.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were me i'd buy another lens. Take a look at this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351542-...
It probably isn't worth fixing the P&S camera. I know the lens I listed isn't cheap but it's perfect for landscapes.
•Close-focusing to 9.5 inches
Would this also be good for macro and close-ups of things like flowers and insects?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

IMGKNEE wrote:
President Obama is coming here Monday to designate this man's home as a national monument.
I hope everyone has heard of Cesar Chavez. I wonder how many people are aware that he was vegan, and a supporter of animal rights. So not only did he fight his entire life for better conditions for farm workers, he also had room to think of the humane treatment of animals as well.
I also wonder how many people are aware of the brutally hard hands on work that for instance grape vineyard workers do to get those grapes to market. Backbreaking work in 100 degree weather, I see them picking grapes by hand to this day. Waving and smiling to me as I walk by them on my breaks. Years ago they had to endure sucking fumes from pesticides and falling down dead from heat and exhaustion. Cesar Chavez historically changed conditions for our farm workers. Just goes to show that a great person can care for people AND animals.
Whatever made you think that to show a caring for more than one species on this planet was an impossibility, no matter how "great" the person may be?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

IMGKNEE wrote:
“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

hiss of death wrote:
Hi gang ! Hope you are all doing well.
Doing well. Thanks.
Good to see you again here Hiss.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever made you think that to show a caring for more than one species on this planet was an impossibility, no matter how "great" the person may be?
It appears Austin's age of a whopping twelve is finally catching up with him. This week he has begun to show signs of having a problem. It could be an injury from playing, but we can't tell what hurts him. But my hunch is something is very wrong.:(

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

<quoted text>
It appears Austin's age of a whopping twelve is finally catching up with him. This week he has begun to show signs of having a problem. It could be an injury from playing, but we can't tell what hurts him. But my hunch is something is very wrong.:(
I am distressed to hear that.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Looks like winter is upon us.
http://kingfm.com/fatal-crash-shuts-down-i-80...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Looks like winter is upon us.
http://kingfm.com/fatal-crash-shuts-down-i-80...
I wonder how many of the victims were from the lowlands in other parts of the country.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

IMGKNEE wrote:
"I see them picking grapes by hand to this day. Waving and smiling to me as I walk by them on my breaks."

If I had a job like that, I'd be waving and smiling too. I love anything and everything outdoors. Every summer I tell myself I'm going to work on a farm picking strawberries or shoveling horse dung or something, but it never seems to happen. I work too many hours at my other job and I can't put myself in a position of having other commitments should work need me for hours or days I am not scheduled to work.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying what the grape vine pickers do isn't hard work and that they don't have days when they are absolutely miserable and suffering in the heat. But heck, there's times I have that where I work too. I'm only saying that just because someone's work is hard, doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

IMGKNEE wrote:
BTW, I never heard of the guy, but thanks for posting this. I believe there are more people than not that care for people AND animals.

“I Love California”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

<quoted text>
"I see them picking grapes by hand to this day. Waving and smiling to me as I walk by them on my breaks."
If I had a job like that, I'd be waving and smiling too. I love anything and everything outdoors. Every summer I tell myself I'm going to work on a farm picking strawberries or shoveling horse dung or something, but it never seems to happen. I work too many hours at my other job and I can't put myself in a position of having other commitments should work need me for hours or days I am not scheduled to work.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying what the grape vine pickers do isn't hard work and that they don't have days when they are absolutely miserable and suffering in the heat. But heck, there's times I have that where I work too. I'm only saying that just because someone's work is hard, doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.
No offense Raptor, but I think you and I wouldn't last too long in the grape vineyards. And I consider myself an active outdoors person. However, bending hundreds of time in a day wearing thick gloves, covered from head to toe for protection from the sun to pick grapes in the absolute hottest part of summer here...it makes for a tedious long day.

Because my family migrated from Oklahoma to CA, I am of Okie heritage and very proud of it. They did the same thing...my Dad went right to work as a boy in the fields picking anything and everything. He has some stories about how rough it was when he arrived here.

We have talked about this before, we all need to know where our food comes from, and how it gets to our table. Be appreciative of what goes into it.

“I Love California”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

<quoted text>
BTW, I never heard of the guy, but thanks for posting this. I believe there are more people than not that care for people AND animals.
I remember when I was a tiny girl, I went to the market and the farm workers were picketing. Really a vivid memory for me for whatever reason, I just remember a handful of picketers approaching my Mom and talked to her. One great big guy, and he was scary to me at the time. My Mom just took me by the hand and left. Now I know what it was all about, and I am glad the memory stays with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Baltimore News, Events & Info