Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ... Full Story

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

#173595 Nov 12, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Raptor is simply replaying the HSUS strategy on shutting down bear hunting in Maryland."
I have never met anyone who eats bear meat. I've heard that some people have "tried" it before, but it's not served as a main dish in any family I know of. Maybe I'm wrong. So, yes, if people don't eat it, I'm against killing it- unless it's in self-defense. There is also too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed.
<quoted text>
Of course I eat ground beef. So you had a bear burger and found little difference. Does that mean you now have a preference for bear meat? How many other people do you know that craves bear for dinner?
This is another run at flawed logic Raptor.

You seem to be suggesting that if someone doesn't eat it, as a preference, or as a main dish, with any degree of regularity, it's something they shouldn't be eating.

Otherwise... why bring it up?

You could have said, "So, yes, if people DO eat it, I'm okay with killing it BUT there is too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed, so I'm against it."

Or is your beef burger okay and my bear burger not okay, because I don't eat one at a high enough frequency and you do?

“Hey”

laurel md

#173596 Nov 12, 2012
<quoted text>
Of course I eat ground beef. So you had a bear burger and found little difference. Does that mean you now have a preference for bear meat? How many other people do you know that craves bear for dinner?
I don't. I'd take a bear or a beef burger.
Can't say I 'crave' either one.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173597 Nov 12, 2012
peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You seem to be suggesting that if someone doesn't eat it, as a preference, or as a main dish, with any degree of regularity, it's something they shouldn't be eating.
You could have said, "So, yes, if people DO eat it, I'm okay with killing it BUT there is too great a chance that cubs would be left to die if a mother is killed, so I'm against it."
Or is your beef burger okay and my bear burger not okay, because I don't eat one at a high enough frequency and you do?
I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs.

If people do eat bear meat, then no I'm not against them being hunted for it- provided it is done with no "collateral damage" AND it's done in a humane way. That is my hope for ANY hunted species.

SE Michigan

#173598 Nov 14, 2012
It doesn't look like a bobcat to me. How cool is this? More mountain lions making appearances in MI? It looks just like what I saw walking along the edge of the woods along the highway one night as I was heading up north.
http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2012/...

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#173600 Nov 15, 2012
peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Good points.
Good questions.
Good luck.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#173601 Nov 15, 2012
<quoted text>
I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs.
If people do eat bear meat, then no I'm not against them being hunted for it- provided it is done with no "collateral damage" AND it's done in a humane way. That is my hope for ANY hunted species.
"I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs."

Yes you have.
The problem with that is, the same can be said about any and every other prey animal out there, so your "logic" plane does not fly. You have also been informed multiple times by myself and others that the regulations do NOT allow any females taken with cubs at side.

There is "collateral damage" with EVERY death on this planet. Get over it.

SE Michigan

#173602 Nov 15, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points.
Good questions.
Good luck.
Yes, they were good points and good questions. I was glad he pointed that out.

SE Michigan

#173603 Nov 15, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"I think I've stated on more than one occasion that the main reason I'm against bear hunting is because of the chances of leaving orphaned cubs."
Yes you have.
The problem with that is, the same can be said about any and every other prey animal out there, so your "logic" plane does not fly. You have also been informed multiple times by myself and others that the regulations do NOT allow any females taken with cubs at side.
There is "collateral damage" with EVERY death on this planet. Get over it.
"regulations do NOT allow any females taken with cubs at side."
The problem I have with that is what if the cubs are not "at her side?" What if they are playing just around the bend? Or behind some rocks? Or in a nearby tree? Or....

"the same can be said about any and every other prey animal out there"
Can it? Isn't deer season at a time when the young can survive on their own? Isn't that the case with most game species that have a certain season?

"Get over it.
That's easy for you to say. I wasn't raised a boy on a reservation in Wyoming where killing animals was just part of life.

I wasn't introduced to that stuff until I met someone who actually hunted regularly. It took me a long time to get used to the fact that I couldn't change his mind about killing deer. I only began to accept hunting as a means to provide food about fifteen years ago. Sorry, but I still have a thing for helpless babies.

SE Michigan

#173604 Nov 15, 2012
As a young girl born and raised in the city, seeing real animals in the wild was special. My life revolved around Kimba back then. I wanted to protect all of them.

I remember seeing my first dead animal at about eight years of age. It was a ground hog on the shoulder of the road when we went on a country drive to the apple orchard. I was horrified. From then on I had a hard time dealing with the fact that animals died at our hands. It was something I had been sheltered from, though not intentionally.

Dating a hunter was something I never dreamed I would do. At first I did everything I could to stop him from going. Nothing worked. Then I expressed an interest in going with him- not so much to hunt, but just to watch. He thought I was joking and never took me. He still laughs when I express an interest in it, like I'm joking. I'm not.

My birding hobby made me see life and death, and dying so others could live, in a different way. I finally began to accept what had been a horrible thing as just part of life.

These threads have piqued my interest in hunting even more. I think I might want to do it someday.

This government and the possible coming hard times has made me realize that it IS something I should learn. I can see the day when living off the land might be our only option. And I don't want to have to rely on anyone else to provide for me if it came to that.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#173605 Nov 16, 2012
"As a young girl born and raised in the city, seeing real animals in the wild was special. My life revolved around Kimba back then. I wanted to protect all of them"

It's exactly this line of thinking that causes people to vote for hunting bans when ballot initiatives come up. Common sense and logic go out the window.

SE Michigan

#173606 Nov 16, 2012
Medicinebow wrote:
"As a young girl born and raised in the city, seeing real animals in the wild was special. My life revolved around Kimba back then. I wanted to protect all of them"
It's exactly this line of thinking that causes people to vote for hunting bans when ballot initiatives come up. Common sense and logic go out the window.
The case has been made here that if an animal is born and raised in a cage, it knows nothing different. It doesn't long for freedom. It is what it is.

The same could be said for humans that grow up in an environment where they are not exposed to certain things. Or they are taught that certain things are wrong.

It IS common sense AND logical for someone to want to protect animals when that is all they've ever known.

There has only been one hunting proposal on the ballot here that I can recall. That was to open a dove season.

On November 7, 2006, Michigan voters overwhelmingly rejected the shooting of mourning doves. More Michigan citizens voted No on Proposal 3 than voted for any candidate for statewide elective office, or voted for or against any other contested ballot proposal. A No vote on Proposal 3 prevailed in all 83 Michigan counties!

Amazing how even in the rural counties, and Michigan has ALOT of hunters, most voted against it. Maybe even the hunters had various reasons- logical in their view- why doves shouldn't be hunted.
Let them live

Nottingham, MD

#173607 Nov 19, 2012
OMG you all are still talking about killing animals. How creepy. How many years has it been?

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Location hidden

#173608 Nov 19, 2012
Let them live wrote:
OMG you all are still talking about killing animals. How creepy. How many years has it been?
I plan on killing them until I die. I hope all is well with you.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Location hidden

#173609 Nov 19, 2012
<quoted text>
The case has been made here that if an animal is born and raised in a cage, it knows nothing different. It doesn't long for freedom. It is what it is.
The same could be said for humans that grow up in an environment where they are not exposed to certain things. Or they are taught that certain things are wrong.
It IS common sense AND logical for someone to want to protect animals when that is all they've ever known.
There has only been one hunting proposal on the ballot here that I can recall. That was to open a dove season.
On November 7, 2006, Michigan voters overwhelmingly rejected the shooting of mourning doves. More Michigan citizens voted No on Proposal 3 than voted for any candidate for statewide elective office, or voted for or against any other contested ballot proposal. A No vote on Proposal 3 prevailed in all 83 Michigan counties!
Amazing how even in the rural counties, and Michigan has ALOT of hunters, most voted against it. Maybe even the hunters had various reasons- logical in their view- why doves shouldn't be hunted.
I am against ballot initiatives for wildlife management. Most don't know enough to make an informed decision. They get bombarded with PETA ads depicting outright lies and half truths.

WE have too many bears here in Co. Is it a coincidence that spring hunting for them is outlawed and the numbers have increased?

Most hunters voted against the dove hunt? Are there some polls showing this?

A human compared to an animal in a cage? One of them has the capacity to reason...want to guess which one?

I see a sharp division in this country where folks in certain areas are deciding what goes on in other areas when its really none of their business. Its not just with hunting. I don't make decisions for the folks in Denver and they shouldn't be deciding how things should be for me. Why should someone is downtown Denver or Boulder be deciding how things are done where I live? These folks don't have bears in their neighborhoods (for the most part) so why should they have a say in how in how they are managed up here?

It's the same with the wolves in Wyoming. Someone in California shouldn't be telling the folks in Wyoming they can't hunt wolves. But these folks insist on making things that are none of their business, their business.

Maybe we should put welfare on a ballot initiative and let the folks in rural areas decide if folks in the city should receive such funds. After all, the folks in the cities are insisting on telling me how to live my life.

SE Michigan

#173610 Nov 20, 2012
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
I am against ballot initiatives for wildlife management. Most don't know enough to make an informed decision. They get bombarded with PETA ads depicting outright lies and half truths.
On this I agree.
And it's not just PETA. Other groups have a vested interest in wildlife issues too. Ranchers, hunters, fishermen, environmental organizations, etc. Sometimes what these groups want isn't in the best interest of others or the ecosystem.
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
WE have too many bears here in Co. Is it a coincidence that spring hunting for them is outlawed and the numbers have increased?
Why is spring hunting of bears outlawed? Was that a ballot initiative, or was that implemented by wildlife officials who have the knowledge to make decisions regarding wildlife management?
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Most hunters voted against the dove hunt? Are there some polls
showing this?
I don't know what most hunters voted for, but my link stated that EVERY county in the state shot the bill down. I would assume there were hunters in the mix since many of those counties are in prime hunting territory.
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
A human compared to an animal in a cage? One of them has the capacity to reason...want to guess which one?
Yes. Both. Do you support confinement of animals with the capacity to feel pain and that long for freedom, even if they can't "reason" according to your definition of the word?
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a sharp division in this country where folks in certain areas are deciding what goes on in other areas when its really none of their business. Its not just with hunting. I don't make decisions for the folks in Denver and they shouldn't be deciding how things should be for me. Why should someone is downtown Denver or Boulder be deciding how things are done where I live? These folks don't have bears in their neighborhoods (for the most part) so why should they have a say in how in how they are managed up here?
I see your point and I agree with it. But you can't change the sentimental feelings other humans have for animals, especially when most of those people only see them in movies.
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the same with the wolves in Wyoming. Someone in California shouldn't be telling the folks in Wyoming they can't hunt wolves. But these folks insist on making things that are none of their business, their business.
See previous reply.
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we should put welfare on a ballot initiative and let the folks in rural areas decide if folks in the city should receive such funds. After all, the folks in the cities are insisting on telling me how to live my life.
Considering we all pay the bill, why not? Except for the fact that the majority seems to rule this country now, it would probably pass.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173611 Nov 21, 2012
Let them live wrote:
About 17,000 years here in North America, according to archeological science.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173612 Nov 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

“Hey”

laurel md

#173613 Nov 22, 2012
Squach wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Yes! Happy Thanksgiving :)

SE Michigan

#173615 Nov 22, 2012
I think that's one thing we can all agree on!

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Since: Jan 09

Double Lung em

#173616 Nov 22, 2012
Let them live wrote:
Hi LTL, This is fate... I think about you every time I have bacon and I had some this morning. Cool huh ?

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving has been grand and best to all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min Junket 305,671
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Patrick 1,110,074
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 51 min Slick 19,221
Review: Atas Marc J 10 hr Briangreene 1
Where are the "Girls that just Want To Have Fun... 15 hr Fantastic Bob 1
16 Members And Associates Of La Familia Gang Ar... (May '08) 16 hr Unknown 296
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Fri Joshygreen97 88
•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Baltimore People Search