Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...
Comments
119,481 - 119,500 of 120,152 Comments Last updated Yesterday

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#173429 Oct 13, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he shouldn't be find. I'd rather see someone get some benefit from the tragic death. What difference does it make if a human eats it, or if another animal eats it?
But..........
I wouldn't want people to get the impression they could "innocently" cause the deaths of other birds by "creating" unnecessary hazards around their home- just for an easy meal- or if they decide they don't want the birds around anymore.
You mean I have to take all the windmills out of my crystal clear curtainless windows? That is not happening.
<chuckle>

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173430 Oct 13, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean I have to take all the windmills out of my crystal clear curtainless windows? That is not happening.
<chuckle>
Yep. You also have to take down your swimming pool, keep your garage door shut, quit using pesticides, stop driving, keep yoor cat in the house with your wind mills, and cover your curtainless windows with screens.

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

#173431 Oct 15, 2012
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
...I wouldn't last too long in the grape vineyards. And I consider myself an active outdoors person. However, bending hundreds of time in a day wearing thick gloves, covered from head to toe for protection from the sun to pick grapes in the absolute hottest part of summer here...it makes for a tedious long day....
I'd bet big bucks you could do just fine.
Wanting to is a different ballgame.
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
...It's nice to point out how possible it actually is.
And you of all people that have ever posted on this board have done the most magnificent job of treating all with respect, whether due or not.

Hope you're having some fun today Jeanne :)

My Best,

SE Michigan

#173432 Oct 15, 2012
This goes beyond poaching. Anyone caught harming wildlife in any manner should face the same punishment they inflicted on their victim.
http://www.670kboi.com/rssItem.asp...

SE Michigan

#173433 Oct 17, 2012
Come on, Mitt, WTF!! A statement like this blows it for the "environmental" people and the wildlife enthusiasts out there.

"The administration brought a criminal action against the people drilling up there for oil, this massive new resource we have. And what was the cost? 20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis.

Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables. I believe very much in our renewable capabilities; ethanol, wind, solar will be an important part of our energy mix."

This woud have made a far better impact:
"20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis."

Next paragraph.........
"Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables... to the extent they are reliable AND ecofriendly. But what the Obama administration doesn't tell people about this wind power he pushes so much is that tall structures, such as wind turbines, kill TENS OF MILLIONS of birds every year. And they plow under FOREVER millions of acres to do it.... for an energy source that's intermittant at best.

Look, just Google 'Altamont Pass bird kills.' That's just ONE wind farm and it only represents ONE study, of mainly just ONE species- the Golden Eagle. Now this is a very large bird that's easy to see laying dead out there over thousands of acres. What about the other 800 or so bird species across the continent that are much smaller and never get found after they've been killed on wind farms that span for miles and miles? You see, I care about being energy independant, and I also care about the environment. Wind power isn't as green as President Obama would like everyone to believe. I wonder, why hasn't he brought out the Migratory Bird Act against the Big Wind companies?
scooter

United States

#173434 Oct 17, 2012
bald eagles taste like chicken.

Location hidden

#173435 Oct 17, 2012
Come on, Mitt, WTF!! A statement like this blows it for the "environmental" people and the wildlife enthusiasts out there.
"The administration brought a criminal action against the people drilling up there for oil, this massive new resource we have. And what was the cost? 20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis.
Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables. I believe very much in our renewable capabilities; ethanol, wind, solar will be an important part of our energy mix."
This woud have made a far better impact:
"20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis."
Next paragraph.........
"Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables... to the extent they are reliable AND ecofriendly. But what the Obama administration doesn't tell people about this wind power he pushes so much is that tall structures, such as wind turbines, kill TENS OF MILLIONS of birds every year. And they plow under FOREVER millions of acres to do it.... for an energy source that's intermittant at best.
Look, just Google 'Altamont Pass bird kills.' That's just ONE wind farm and it only represents ONE study, of mainly just ONE species- the Golden Eagle. Now this is a very large bird that's easy to see laying dead out there over thousands of acres. What about the other 800 or so bird species across the continent that are much smaller and never get found after they've been killed on wind farms that span for miles and miles? You see, I care about being energy independant, and I also care about the environment. Wind power isn't as green as President Obama would like everyone to believe. I wonder, why hasn't he brought out the Migratory Bird Act against the Big Wind companies?
"TENS OF MILLIONS" eh?

PROVE it.
You can not.

How much wind energy you need today Raptor? Hang on a few hours it'll be there soon.
<smile>

Location hidden

#173436 Oct 17, 2012
BTW Raptor, your link in your prior post does not work.

Location hidden

#173437 Oct 17, 2012
And they plow under FOREVER millions of acres to do it.... for an energy source that's intermittant at best.
A bit melodramatic I'd say, and untruthful to boot.

Would you like to see some photos of RECLAIMED farm ground that WAS a wind farm at one time? Is not concrete removable and the ground then plowable again?

SE Michigan

#173438 Oct 17, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"TENS OF MILLIONS" eh?
PROVE it.
You can not.
How much wind energy you need today Raptor? Hang on a few hours it'll be there soon.
<smile>
Is this proof enough?
From first link:
The purpose of this document is to increase public awareness of the potential impacts of towers and other human-made structures by highlighting some of the pertinent literature on the subject. The bibliography focuses primarily on collisions with communication towers, lighted buildings, and (to a lesser degree) windows. No effort has been made to cover collisions with power lines or wind turbines,...
http://library.fws.gov/bird_publications/bird...

Notice the date-Revised 1998. Also that there have been NO studies on wind turbines as of that date, according to this article.

From second link:
Communication towers estimates of bird kills are impossible to make because of the lack of data, but totals could easily be over 5 million birds/year, and possibly as many as 50 million. Towers have proliferated in recent years, with an estimated 5000 new towers erected per year during the 1990s, mainly for the cell phone and digital TV industries. Any tall structure will kill birds by collision, and lighted towers attract birds at night. Theoretically cellphone towers are less dangerous than the taller structures, but there is no data either way, and the sheer number of cell phone towers may outweigh any other advantage.
....and there is a real need for more study of the relationship between birds and wind farms.
http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/caus...

From third link:
Millions of migratory birds are killed by striking tall buildings, TV and radio towers, lighthouses, and edifices such as the Perry Monument on Lake Erie.

One September night the 555-foot high Washington Monument took a toll of 576 vireos and warblers between 10:30 P.M. and midnight. A newly erected TV tower on the outskirts of Topeka, Kansas killed 1,090 birds of 61 species over a period of several days. A TV tower at Eau Claire, Wisconsin killed an estimated 20,000 vireos and warblers the night of September 19 -20, 1963.
http://www.netwalk.com/~vireo/devastatingtoll...

For anyone to make the claim that wind turbines kill fewer birds than communication towers is just ridiculous.
First question: Has this issue been studied yet or not? If so, at how many wind farms and for how many seasons?
Second question: If birds are slamming into lighted communication towers and other tall buildings during their nighttime migrations, how in the world are they missing the wind turbines, which are also lighted, the same height in many cases, and take up even more surface area than a cell tower?
Third question: How many wind turbines exist compared to the number of cell towers?

SE Michigan

#173440 Oct 17, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit melodramatic I'd say, and untruthful to boot.
Would you like to see some photos of RECLAIMED farm ground that WAS a wind farm at one time? Is not concrete removable and the ground then plowable again?
Of course concrete can be removed and earth can be plowed. The problem then lies with what will grow there. Usually non-native invasive weeds take over the native plants these days.

SE Michigan

#173441 Oct 17, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
BTW Raptor, your link in your prior post does not work.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/oct/15/a...

SE Michigan

#173442 Oct 17, 2012
A bear goes in human territory and it gets killed. A human goes in bear territory and the bear gets killed. What kind of sick society have we created? Humans need to get the hell out of Alaska if they don't want to be bear food! This guy had no protection from bears? No gun? No bear spray? Get real! He deserved what he got.
http://www.ktvn.com/story/19827618/bear-mauli...

Location hidden

#173443 Oct 18, 2012
A bear goes in human territory and it gets killed. A human goes in bear territory and the bear gets killed. What kind of sick society have we created? Humans need to get the hell out of Alaska if they don't want to be bear food! This guy had no protection from bears? No gun? No bear spray? Get real! He deserved what he got.
There was absolutely nothing in that article that said one word about what personal protection he may or may not have had on that trip.
Did he purposefully go onto that beach or was a mechanical failure to blame? He got what he deserved because his boat quit? Give me a break.
You talk like he went there on purpose with no protection whatsoever. That is simplely untrue and there is no way to know what personal protection he had or did not have.

How would YOU, all by yourself, protect a cache of food from hungry bears?

Location hidden

#173444 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Of course concrete can be removed and earth can be plowed. The problem then lies with what will grow there. Usually non-native invasive weeds take over the native plants these days.
You can grow just about anything you wish in any soil. All you have to do is find out what the soil lacks for your particular crop and add it to the soil and mix it in. Simple really.
I can show you a spot that has been drenched in used motor oil many times over a period of years and the grass looks just like the grass next to it. Yes, there is grass growing on the used motor oil drenched spot.

The problem is you, once again, going off half cocked and making statements that you can not back up - like your ridiculous claim that the land was lost to crops FOREVER.
<rolls eyes>

Location hidden

#173445 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Is this proof enough?
From first link:
The purpose of this document is to increase public awareness of the potential impacts of towers and other human-made structures by highlighting some of the pertinent literature on the subject. The bibliography focuses primarily on collisions with communication towers, lighted buildings, and (to a lesser degree) windows. No effort has been made to cover collisions with power lines or wind turbines,...
http://library.fws.gov/bird_publications/bird...
Notice the date-Revised 1998. Also that there have been NO studies on wind turbines as of that date, according to this article.
From second link:
Communication towers estimates of bird kills are impossible to make because of the lack of data, but totals could easily be over 5 million birds/year, and possibly as many as 50 million. Towers have proliferated in recent years, with an estimated 5000 new towers erected per year during the 1990s, mainly for the cell phone and digital TV industries. Any tall structure will kill birds by collision, and lighted towers attract birds at night. Theoretically cellphone towers are less dangerous than the taller structures, but there is no data either way, and the sheer number of cell phone towers may outweigh any other advantage.
....and there is a real need for more study of the relationship between birds and wind farms.
http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/caus...
From third link:
Millions of migratory birds are killed by striking tall buildings, TV and radio towers, lighthouses, and edifices such as the Perry Monument on Lake Erie.
One September night the 555-foot high Washington Monument took a toll of 576 vireos and warblers between 10:30 P.M. and midnight. A newly erected TV tower on the outskirts of Topeka, Kansas killed 1,090 birds of 61 species over a period of several days. A TV tower at Eau Claire, Wisconsin killed an estimated 20,000 vireos and warblers the night of September 19 -20, 1963.
http://www.netwalk.com/~vireo/devastatingtoll...
For anyone to make the claim that wind turbines kill fewer birds than communication towers is just ridiculous.
First question: Has this issue been studied yet or not? If so, at how many wind farms and for how many seasons?
Second question: If birds are slamming into lighted communication towers and other tall buildings during their nighttime migrations, how in the world are they missing the wind turbines, which are also lighted, the same height in many cases, and take up even more surface area than a cell tower?
Third question: How many wind turbines exist compared to the number of cell towers?
Hey, now here's an idea. How about you ask someone who actually made such a statement, those questions.

SE Michigan

#173446 Oct 18, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
There was absolutely nothing in that article that said one word about what personal protection he may or may not have had on that trip.
Did he purposefully go onto that beach or was a mechanical failure to blame? He got what he deserved because his boat quit? Give me a break.
You talk like he went there on purpose with no protection whatsoever. That is simplely untrue and there is no way to know what personal protection he had or did not have.
How would YOU, all by yourself, protect a cache of food from hungry bears?
The ABC Islands are heavily populated with bears.
Yhey are genetically more closely related to polar bears than to other brown bears.
Polar Bears are man-eaters.
Other bears kill and eat humans too.
He was logging in the Alaska wilderness.
He had to take a 50 mile boat trip down the river just to get groceries.
He's alone in Bear Heaven with GROCERIES.
Boats can have mechanical problems just like cars.
There's a chance he could be stranded in Bear Heaven with GROCERIES.
There was a "struggle" the article claimed.
If your boat fails and you end up on a remote beach in Alaska, you can see if bears are around.(They're kinda big, ya know.)
If bears are nearby, you would have your protection ready- I would think.
The fact that there was a struggle tells me he had none, or didn't have it ready.
If he's unarmed, why would he be holding his GROCERIES trying to defend them from bears?
The whole story seems a little ridiculous to me. I wouldn't put myself in that situation. I don't see you putting yourself in that situation either.

Isn't it about thinning out the gene pool?

Location hidden

#173447 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
The ABC Islands are heavily populated with bears.
Yhey are genetically more closely related to polar bears than to other brown bears.
Polar Bears are man-eaters.
Other bears kill and eat humans too.
He was logging in the Alaska wilderness.
He had to take a 50 mile boat trip down the river just to get groceries.
He's alone in Bear Heaven with GROCERIES.
Boats can have mechanical problems just like cars.
There's a chance he could be stranded in Bear Heaven with GROCERIES.
There was a "struggle" the article claimed.
If your boat fails and you end up on a remote beach in Alaska, you can see if bears are around.(They're kinda big, ya know.)
If bears are nearby, you would have your protection ready- I would think.
The fact that there was a struggle tells me he had none, or didn't have it ready.
If he's unarmed, why would he be holding his GROCERIES trying to defend them from bears?
The whole story seems a little ridiculous to me. I wouldn't put myself in that situation. I don't see you putting yourself in that situation either.
Isn't it about thinning out the gene pool?
Oh that's nice.
Now, how about answering my question?
How would YOU protect a cache of food, by yourself, from bears?

Location hidden

#173448 Oct 18, 2012
There ya go AGAIN Raptor. Saying things that are only your emotions and lack of full knowledge about the matter talking.

"State officials do not usually kill bears that maul humans in acts of defense, Alaska Department of Fish and Game supervisor Doug Larsen said, but bears that are considered predatory or dangerous are killed. Judgments are made on a case-by-case basis, he said."

Since I have corrected you on the matter several times, I am left to wonder why you continue to be intentionally misleading and incorrect.

SE Michigan

#173449 Oct 18, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh that's nice.
Now, how about answering my question?
How would YOU protect a cache of food, by yourself, from bears?
Oh, but I DID answer your question. AQ.
I wouldn't put myself in that situation.
But since you won't accept that answer, I'll say this; If I was dumb enough to be in that situation, I would NOT protect the groceries. I would be as far away from them as I could be. Or they would be in some kind of bear-proof container.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,100,456
One Action Movie Can Damage a Mind for Life 53 min Culture Auditor 5
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr see the light 18,872
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Pearl Jam 305,455
Review: Dundalk Animal Hospital - Dennis G Fost... (Jan '09) Thu time 26
gay hookup in maryland Wed mdtowson 3
How can I find a active biker dating site ? Aug 26 kobe 1
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baltimore People Search