Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fa...

Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

There are 116321 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173738 Jan 7, 2013
EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
Crawl back into your cave and put your bearskin back on you neanderthal. If you had half a brain you would be even more dangerous than you already are.
Well gee, here we go with the ARs are more "highly evolved" than the rest of us normal humans. You fools think that you are somehow the "elite" and you have all the answers. Too bad you're really just a demented member of a miniscule minority existing on the lunatic fringe. Careful you don't fall off of that pedestal you've placed yourself on and hurt yourself. ROTFLMAO!!!

“I Love California”

Since: Jul 08

In Cali..of course!

#173739 Jan 7, 2013
peteoo wrote:
When a 14 year old boy or girl has no idea of where their meat comes from, and how the animal that provided it lived, I would say that is more of a sheltered issue than one of purity. There are plenty of kids in that arena. I suspect/believe your daughter is not, and is fairly well versed. Once they get the education, they THEN get to decide what's right and wrong for themselves.
When "'my thoughts' are purer than your's, so your actions must match mine", I have a problem.
I'm all about having laws that we all live under and when we don't like them we change them.
Regulated, legalized hunting is how we decide who gets to hunt what where and when.
Show me another way, short of shutting down hunting for all, and I'll all ears. Maybe your daughter has some thoughts?
No thoughts about shutting down hunting. Seeing her reaction...I could tell it was hard for her to see a beautiful animal, dead and a hunter with a big smile posing next to the animal. She doesn't get it. I guess I never will either.

There are always assumptions here, I suppose it's easier than trying to figure out what the opposing side is all about. Me...I never stop trying.

When I say "pure" don't misunderstand me as I really meant just through the eyes of a child. Well...a teenager anyway. She is very well versed on the ways of nature, where all of her food comes from. I appreciate her kindness, she has a heart for people and animals. Maybe I will ask her what bothered her about those photos.

Happy 2013 to you.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173740 Jan 7, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting. I don't see any bald patches. I have been a big fan of Walt Disney all of my life though. Unlike our AR friends I've never had any trouble separating fantasy from reality. I usually don't have time to be bored. Not a bad description I guess. I was hoping for tall, handsome, intelligent, that kinda' thing....LMAO.
This guy is getting a dose of reality:
"Hey Bear." He acts like the bear wants to be his friend.......at first. The video cuts off quick enough when reality sets in and the bear starts getting rough with his little glass cubicle.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/environment/50861/cl...

"I was hoping for tall, handsome, intelligent, that kinda' thing"
I'm sure you are all that....and more, Squach :)

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173741 Jan 7, 2013
EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a cowardly little man that has to kill a defenseless animal in order to feel macho. Pathetic.
Maybe Squach is a tall, handsome, intelligent man that has to kill a "defenseless" animal so he can eat.

Who kills your animals for you before they reach your mouth in the form of meat?
You do eat meat, don't you?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173742 Jan 7, 2013
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
When a 14 year old girl sees a photo of a hunter(usually grinning) holding up or posing with a bloodied dead animal, it's much different for her than her seeing photos of a winning cheerleading squad or a high school graduation photo. That's why her perpective is more pure, she wouldn't question the other photos I mention here. To an adult like me, I ponder why the person in the photo made sure the photo was taken, made sure the equipment for the photo op was ready. There was obviously much more in the person's intent than just hunting for food to put on the table. I have come a long way in accepting that some hunters do hunt just for food to sustain him or her and genuinely takes all possible effort to be humane. When I see the photos and see my daughter's reaction, it sets me back. The way I have heard some hunters talk...sets me back. The one photo that really set me back, the one of a mountain lion, that hunter wasn't hunting for food of course. I even recall one hunter way back saying he felt great accomplishment in hunting and killing another top predator. Big setback there.
The killing of top predators bothers the heck out of me. I see no need for it because the meat is mostly never eaten. However, I have no problem with a hunter posing with his kill. Not taking photos doesn't change the fact that it happened.

I have taken photos of the food on my dinner plate......some of which used to be alive. Being in a different form doesn't change what it once was. But I do recall a time.... when I was your daughters age (and older)..... when I would have thought the poser in the photo was worthless scum!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173743 Jan 7, 2013
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
No thoughts about shutting down hunting. Seeing her reaction...I could tell it was hard for her to see a beautiful animal, dead and a hunter with a big smile posing next to the animal. She doesn't get it. I guess I never will either.
There are always assumptions here, I suppose it's easier than trying to figure out what the opposing side is all about. Me...I never stop trying.
When I say "pure" don't misunderstand me as I really meant just through the eyes of a child. Well...a teenager anyway. She is very well versed on the ways of nature, where all of her food comes from. I appreciate her kindness, she has a heart for people and animals. Maybe I will ask her what bothered her about those photos.
Happy 2013 to you.
Please do. I would be interested in knowing her answer.

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

#173744 Jan 8, 2013
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
No thoughts about shutting down hunting. Seeing her reaction...I could tell it was hard for her to see a beautiful animal, dead and a hunter with a big smile posing next to the animal. She doesn't get it. I guess I never will either.
There are always assumptions here, I suppose it's easier than trying to figure out what the opposing side is all about. Me...I never stop trying.
When I say "pure" don't misunderstand me as I really meant just through the eyes of a child. Well...a teenager anyway. She is very well versed on the ways of nature, where all of her food comes from. I appreciate her kindness, she has a heart for people and animals. Maybe I will ask her what bothered her about those photos.
Happy 2013 to you.
There's that whole apple not falling far from the tree thing going on here. Happy 2013 Gknee :)

My take is "really....do you really have to do that?"

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#173746 Jan 9, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
The killing of top predators bothers the heck out of me. I see no need for it because the meat is mostly never eaten. However, I have no problem with a hunter posing with his kill. Not taking photos doesn't change the fact that it happened.
I have taken photos of the food on my dinner plate......some of which used to be alive. Being in a different form doesn't change what it once was. But I do recall a time.... when I was your daughters age (and older)..... when I would have thought the poser in the photo was worthless scum!
I don't have an issue with killing predator if the meat is eaten. I've killed and eaten bear. I liked it and would eat bear again....especially the one that keeps breaking in our home.

As much as I like taking photos its not a big deal to me concerning photos if animals i've killed. In fact, i've not taken photos of many of the animals I killed. After I shoot an animal i'm more interested in getting the animal ready to be moved and butchered.

You were young once :)

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173747 Jan 9, 2013
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have an issue with killing predator if the meat is eaten. I've killed and eaten bear. I liked it and would eat bear again....especially the one that keeps breaking in our home.
As much as I like taking photos its not a big deal to me concerning photos if animals i've killed. In fact, i've not taken photos of many of the animals I killed. After I shoot an animal i'm more interested in getting the animal ready to be moved and butchered.
You were young once :)
"I don't have an issue with killing predator if the meat is eaten."
What if the meat is not eaten? What if the predator is being killed because some human came to the conclusion that there are too many, so some just need to die? Never mind. I think I know the answer to that.

"I liked it and would eat bear again....especially the one that keeps breaking in our home."
I thought that bear moved on. Did he/she come back? Maybe if you just give it it's own room and three squares, it wouldn't keep "breaking in." :)

"You were young once :)"
Actually, I've been young many times. It just depends on who I'm with at the moment.:)

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#173748 Jan 11, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"I don't have an issue with killing predator if the meat is eaten."
What if the meat is not eaten? What if the predator is being killed because some human came to the conclusion that there are too many, so some just need to die? Never mind. I think I know the answer to that.
"I liked it and would eat bear again....especially the one that keeps breaking in our home."
I thought that bear moved on. Did he/she come back? Maybe if you just give it it's own room and three squares, it wouldn't keep "breaking in." :)
"You were young once :)"
Actually, I've been young many times. It just depends on who I'm with at the moment.:)
Why do you ask questions and then try to answer for me?

If the meat isn't eaten it is waste and I do NOT support that. If someone is going to shoot an animal they should be consuming the meat or it better be a case of self defense.

If I had to give the bear 3 squares on my dime he'd think I was acting on behalf of the government and he'd be dependent on someone else taking care of him.:)

The bear has not returned. He moved on to homes with better food! Apparently he went over to the other side of the mountain.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173749 Jan 15, 2013
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you ask questions and then try to answer for me?
If the meat isn't eaten it is waste and I do NOT support that. If someone is going to shoot an animal they should be consuming the meat or it better be a case of self defense.
If I had to give the bear 3 squares on my dime he'd think I was acting on behalf of the government and he'd be dependent on someone else taking care of him.:)
The bear has not returned. He moved on to homes with better food! Apparently he went over to the other side of the mountain.
Good for the bear. He can now prosper on his own since he won't be given free meals. He'll find if he works hard and saves, he can provide a good life for himself and his family.:)

There is a grouse that keeps evading me (and my camera) on weekends when I go up to the cabin. It flies out from the same area every time I step outside. Any ideas how can I get close, or have him get close to me, without spooking him?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173750 Jan 17, 2013
Am I the only one who would like nothing better than to bitchslap these parents?

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173751 Jan 17, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
Am I the only one who would like nothing better than to bitchslap these parents?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =z6BgkP65YBcXX
Nope. I wonder if they're related to Tasty Timmy Treadwell.

Poor kid, that favorite teddy bear will never seem quite the same.

"They told us not to stop". DUH! I guess they should have also told them that auto glass is not bear proof and neither are car doors.

Maybe next time they'll make the ride with pork chops tied around their necks.

At least both the humans (not the best specimens) and the bears (having learned that humans usually have food) survived..........this time.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173752 Jan 17, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. I wonder if they're related to Tasty Timmy Treadwell.
Poor kid, that favorite teddy bear will never seem quite the same.
"They told us not to stop". DUH! I guess they should have also told them that auto glass is not bear proof and neither are car doors.
Maybe next time they'll make the ride with pork chops tied around their necks.
At least both the humans (not the best specimens) and the bears (having learned that humans usually have food) survived..........this time.
It seems the three year olds' instincts kicked in that said "Danger." The parents must have learned that bears won't hurt people from some Disney movie.

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#173753 Jan 17, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for the bear. He can now prosper on his own since he won't be given free meals. He'll find if he works hard and saves, he can provide a good life for himself and his family.:)
There is a grouse that keeps evading me (and my camera) on weekends when I go up to the cabin. It flies out from the same area every time I step outside. Any ideas how can I get close, or have him get close to me, without spooking him?
Good luck catching a grouse on camera. They hide well and usually flush quite fast. The ones at our Wyo. home seem to be a little less "flushy".

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173754 Jan 17, 2013
Medicinebow wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck catching a grouse on camera. They hide well and usually flush quite fast. The ones at our Wyo. home seem to be a little less "flushy".
Ah yes, probably a Blue Grouse like the one on my profile page that I captured in Yellowstone.

I don't know which one I have here. I flushed a black bird that flashed white on the wings one day around Thanksgiving. The next day, I had a black grouse-like bird fly over the road. Same individual? I don't know.

I haven't been able to see the one I've been flushing recently because of the trees. It's either Ruffed or a Spruce Grouse. Fingers crossed for Spruce!

Hopefully, there will be snow on the ground this weekend. Snow might make it easier to spot from the window.

BTW, What should I do with all the RAW files filling up my memory? At 25mb per picture, it's loading up fast! Do you keep them?

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#173755 Jan 18, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, probably a Blue Grouse like the one on my profile page that I captured in Yellowstone.
I don't know which one I have here. I flushed a black bird that flashed white on the wings one day around Thanksgiving. The next day, I had a black grouse-like bird fly over the road. Same individual? I don't know.
I haven't been able to see the one I've been flushing recently because of the trees. It's either Ruffed or a Spruce Grouse. Fingers crossed for Spruce!
Hopefully, there will be snow on the ground this weekend. Snow might make it easier to spot from the window.
BTW, What should I do with all the RAW files filling up my memory? At 25mb per picture, it's loading up fast! Do you keep them?
I keep every file. I back them up to 2 external hard drives and then burn a copy to dvd. I'm considering internet storage also.

They do burn up space. But my 3tb hd has plenty of room. I'm getting well over 30Mb per shot by shooting raw+jpg.

Yes, blue grouse.
Sean p Keith

Alexandria, VA

#173756 Jan 19, 2013
As I sit here in my tree stand w/my bow in late Jan. killing time hoping for my last kill of the season! I read your comment & wondered if you feel the same when you see all of the road killed deer & think about the thousands of dollars they cost drivers every year? There is nothing wrong w/the time honored tradition of hunting & enjoying the bounty of the harvest. Speaking as an ethical conscientious hunter I will say this, nothing beats a grilled deer steak ! Peace of the LORD be with you .

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173757 Jan 20, 2013
Sean p Keith wrote:
As I sit here in my tree stand w/my bow in late Jan. killing time hoping for my last kill of the season! I read your comment & wondered if you feel the same when you see all of the road killed deer & think about the thousands of dollars they cost drivers every year? There is nothing wrong w/the time honored tradition of hunting & enjoying the bounty of the harvest. Speaking as an ethical conscientious hunter I will say this, nothing beats a grilled deer steak ! Peace of the LORD be with you .
Good luck! I just might disagree though, smoked back strap is pretty darn good too!
Mamasita

Jamul, CA

#173759 Jan 26, 2013
Get Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Smokey, are you indicating you didnít displace or kill some animals when your double wide trailer was put in place at the trailer park? Living in your glass double wide trailer must be so cool.
Hey Bigot, a little FYI about the "trailer park" residents you are attempting to disparage. Out here in sunny, wonderful weather, San Diego, most trailer parks are designated for senior citizens. That is very common for those homes in nearby vicinity of the beach. It would still set you back, Bigot, a cool $300k. I might have bought one, but I'm not a senior.

ADV Rider Salute -

Mamasita

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Politicians stumble on #blacklivesmatter 4 min Cordwainer Trout 2
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 38 min RealDave 1,263,871
News Man shot in northwest Baltimore dies 3 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Brian_G 310,343
The War on Police Has Consequences in Baltimore 17 hr Culture Auditor 1
News Thousands storm Baltimore streets in protest ca... Thu Poo-Bear 638
News Presidential Candidates Who Ignore Race Are Mak... Thu reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages