Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fa...

Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

There are 116320 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173419 Oct 10, 2012
This is amazing. I just wanted to share.
&fe ature=related

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

#173420 Oct 12, 2012
Mamasita wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a grip ! Stealing a seagulls food. You did. Egregious animal cruelty varies from person to person. Some people, like yourself, think killing an animal for amusement and a big rack is awesome. I think it's egregious animal cruelty. I think sport fishing is cruel. I think sport hunting is especially cruel where these hunters go out and kill the trophy animal. Yes, and I'm not the only one.
And I know plenty ! I know all about greedy hunters and fishermen that deplete our forests and waters for sport and nothing else. The damage you all do is immeasurable. Maybe you could sell the rack or dead fish on eBay for a nice profit too, or blood money.
Tell you what. You speak for yourself and I'll speak for myself.

You don't know squat about me yet project that you do.

IF someone wants to kill a rat on your behalf, I'm okay with that.

“Hey”

laurel md

#173421 Oct 12, 2012
Mamasita wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you doctor tell you that you need fish? I doubt it, unless you are a pro-sport athlete or suffering some type of medical disease.
The Dalai Lama needed to increase his protein, because he had hepatitus. He was a vegetarian. I don't criticize someone who tries to make a difference. I'm not all or nothing. What I do find morally repugnant are those, like yourself, that defend trophy hunting and trophy fishing when there is absolutely no reason that the respective being is killed except for a wall mount.
We've had this same conversation over and over.
You can't get it through your head that it's actions that count.
If I kill a fish to eat and someone kills it to put on their wall, what difference did it make to the fish?

IMO it's food. I get to tell the DNR, that if someone is wantonly wasting food I could be eating, that I have an issue with that. There are rules against wanton waste in Maryland when it comes to our natural resources.

You get to tell the DNR that its okay for your buddy Gonzalez to eat fish but not me.

They listen to me. They'd laugh at you.

If your bud Bill Clinton spent his time just thinking about banging Monica Lewinsky instead of doing it the world would see
him in a different light.

Except of course mind readers like yourself.

“Hey”

laurel md

#173422 Oct 12, 2012
peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You do have a penchant for stereotyping...
Mamasita wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if the stereotype fits.
How about all your buddies on this forum when they make remarks about Californians, "land of fruit and nuts". What about that?
You seem a little sensitive lately. Are your going through some hormonal changes?
It fits you to a T.

They get to answer for that.

“Hey”

laurel md

#173423 Oct 12, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. In that case it probably is the handy work of just one or two people. But cases like this can be found all over. You think that same individual, or pair of idiots, traveled to other states and did the same thing?
Nope. There is always going to be a portion of the population that does things outside the regulations. Where 'these rules don't apply to me' is embraced.

We call them poachers no matter where they are.

“Hey”

laurel md

#173424 Oct 12, 2012
IMGKNEE wrote:
President Obama is coming here Monday to designate this man's home as a national monument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Chavez
I hope everyone has heard of Cesar Chavez. I wonder how many people are aware that he was vegan, and a supporter of animal rights. So not only did he fight his entire life for better conditions for farm workers, he also had room to think of the humane treatment of animals as well.
I also wonder how many people are aware of the brutally hard hands on work that for instance grape vineyard workers do to get those grapes to market. Backbreaking work in 100 degree weather, I see them picking grapes by hand to this day. Waving and smiling to me as I walk by them on my breaks. Years ago they had to endure sucking fumes from pesticides and falling down dead from heat and exhaustion. Cesar Chavez historically changed conditions for our farm workers. Just goes to show that a great person can care for people AND animals.
Nice post Jeanne :)

SE Michigan

#173425 Oct 12, 2012
They could have at least put a picture of a REAL White-winged Dove with this article. Imagine that, for every bird that flies into your window, you must turn it into the Fish and Wildlife Service. At 100 million+ window hits evry year the F&W would need to hire a whole lot of people! Talk about creating jobs!!

(WOAI) You know the urban legend that if you kill something, you can eat it? Well..not so much.

1200 WOAI news reports a Pflugerville man, Ryan Adams, is facing possible state and federal charges after he cooked and ate a white winged dove that died after flying into the side of his home.

Adams said he reflected on the fact that thousands of Texas hunters spend a lot of money and spend a lot of time in the woods trying to get to the exact position he found himself by accident. So he dressed the dove, cooked it on the grill, and posted photographs, and his recipe, on the Internet.

And that's when he ran into trouble. Steve Lightfoot of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department says you can't keep a game animal that is not obtained 'legally.'

"By legally I mean certain means and methods and seasons," Lightfoot told 1200 WOAI news. "You have to have a hunting license, you have to use the appropriate shotgun and ammunition."

And since the weapon Adams used was the side of his home, Lightfoot said he should have turned the dead dove over to Parks and Wildlife officials instead of eating it.

And, to make things worse, Adams could also face federal charges.

"There are restrictions, both state and federal, since this is a migratory species," he said.

The investigation continues, even though Adams has eaten the evidence. Lightfoot says Adams won't have to eat jail food to atone for his dove dinner, although he says a fine is a possibility.

As for Adams, he says regardless of the outcome, it was a tasty meal.

"I have never had such fresh meat before," he said.

http://www.975wcos.com/cc-common/news/section...

SE Michigan

#173426 Oct 12, 2012
That would be PARKS and Wildlife.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#173427 Oct 13, 2012
They could have at least put a picture of a REAL White-winged Dove with this article. Imagine that, for every bird that flies into your window, you must turn it into the Fish and Wildlife Service. At 100 million+ window hits evry year the F&W would need to hire a whole lot of people! Talk about creating jobs!!
(WOAI) You know the urban legend that if you kill something, you can eat it? Well..not so much.
1200 WOAI news reports a Pflugerville man, Ryan Adams, is facing possible state and federal charges after he cooked and ate a white winged dove that died after flying into the side of his home.
Adams said he reflected on the fact that thousands of Texas hunters spend a lot of money and spend a lot of time in the woods trying to get to the exact position he found himself by accident. So he dressed the dove, cooked it on the grill, and posted photographs, and his recipe, on the Internet.
And that's when he ran into trouble. Steve Lightfoot of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department says you can't keep a game animal that is not obtained 'legally.'
"By legally I mean certain means and methods and seasons," Lightfoot told 1200 WOAI news. "You have to have a hunting license, you have to use the appropriate shotgun and ammunition."
And since the weapon Adams used was the side of his home, Lightfoot said he should have turned the dead dove over to Parks and Wildlife officials instead of eating it.
And, to make things worse, Adams could also face federal charges.
"There are restrictions, both state and federal, since this is a migratory species," he said.
The investigation continues, even though Adams has eaten the evidence. Lightfoot says Adams won't have to eat jail food to atone for his dove dinner, although he says a fine is a possibility.
As for Adams, he says regardless of the outcome, it was a tasty meal.
"I have never had such fresh meat before," he said.
http://www.975wcos.com/cc-common/news/section...
So, what do you think about that story?
Should he be fined for eating that bird?

SE Michigan

#173428 Oct 13, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what do you think about that story?
Should he be fined for eating that bird?
No, he shouldn't be find. I'd rather see someone get some benefit from the tragic death. What difference does it make if a human eats it, or if another animal eats it?

But..........

I wouldn't want people to get the impression they could "innocently" cause the deaths of other birds by "creating" unnecessary hazards around their home- just for an easy meal- or if they decide they don't want the birds around anymore.

Location hidden

#173429 Oct 13, 2012
<quoted text>
No, he shouldn't be find. I'd rather see someone get some benefit from the tragic death. What difference does it make if a human eats it, or if another animal eats it?
But..........
I wouldn't want people to get the impression they could "innocently" cause the deaths of other birds by "creating" unnecessary hazards around their home- just for an easy meal- or if they decide they don't want the birds around anymore.
You mean I have to take all the windmills out of my crystal clear curtainless windows? That is not happening.
<chuckle>

SE Michigan

#173430 Oct 13, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean I have to take all the windmills out of my crystal clear curtainless windows? That is not happening.
<chuckle>
Yep. You also have to take down your swimming pool, keep your garage door shut, quit using pesticides, stop driving, keep yoor cat in the house with your wind mills, and cover your curtainless windows with screens.

“Hey”

laurel md

#173431 Oct 15, 2012
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
...I wouldn't last too long in the grape vineyards. And I consider myself an active outdoors person. However, bending hundreds of time in a day wearing thick gloves, covered from head to toe for protection from the sun to pick grapes in the absolute hottest part of summer here...it makes for a tedious long day....
I'd bet big bucks you could do just fine.
Wanting to is a different ballgame.
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
...It's nice to point out how possible it actually is.
And you of all people that have ever posted on this board have done the most magnificent job of treating all with respect, whether due or not.

Hope you're having some fun today Jeanne :)

My Best,

SE Michigan

#173432 Oct 15, 2012
This goes beyond poaching. Anyone caught harming wildlife in any manner should face the same punishment they inflicted on their victim.
http://www.670kboi.com/rssItem.asp...

SE Michigan

#173433 Oct 17, 2012
Come on, Mitt, WTF!! A statement like this blows it for the "environmental" people and the wildlife enthusiasts out there.

"The administration brought a criminal action against the people drilling up there for oil, this massive new resource we have. And what was the cost? 20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis.

Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables. I believe very much in our renewable capabilities; ethanol, wind, solar will be an important part of our energy mix."

This woud have made a far better impact:
"20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis."

Next paragraph.........
"Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables... to the extent they are reliable AND ecofriendly. But what the Obama administration doesn't tell people about this wind power he pushes so much is that tall structures, such as wind turbines, kill TENS OF MILLIONS of birds every year. And they plow under FOREVER millions of acres to do it.... for an energy source that's intermittant at best.

Look, just Google 'Altamont Pass bird kills.' That's just ONE wind farm and it only represents ONE study, of mainly just ONE species- the Golden Eagle. Now this is a very large bird that's easy to see laying dead out there over thousands of acres. What about the other 800 or so bird species across the continent that are much smaller and never get found after they've been killed on wind farms that span for miles and miles? You see, I care about being energy independant, and I also care about the environment. Wind power isn't as green as President Obama would like everyone to believe. I wonder, why hasn't he brought out the Migratory Bird Act against the Big Wind companies?
scooter

United States

#173434 Oct 17, 2012
bald eagles taste like chicken.

Location hidden

#173435 Oct 17, 2012
Come on, Mitt, WTF!! A statement like this blows it for the "environmental" people and the wildlife enthusiasts out there.
"The administration brought a criminal action against the people drilling up there for oil, this massive new resource we have. And what was the cost? 20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis.
Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables. I believe very much in our renewable capabilities; ethanol, wind, solar will be an important part of our energy mix."
This woud have made a far better impact:
"20 or 25 birds were killed and brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis."
Next paragraph.........
"Look, I want to make sure we use our oil, our coal, our gas, our nuclear, our renewables... to the extent they are reliable AND ecofriendly. But what the Obama administration doesn't tell people about this wind power he pushes so much is that tall structures, such as wind turbines, kill TENS OF MILLIONS of birds every year. And they plow under FOREVER millions of acres to do it.... for an energy source that's intermittant at best.
Look, just Google 'Altamont Pass bird kills.' That's just ONE wind farm and it only represents ONE study, of mainly just ONE species- the Golden Eagle. Now this is a very large bird that's easy to see laying dead out there over thousands of acres. What about the other 800 or so bird species across the continent that are much smaller and never get found after they've been killed on wind farms that span for miles and miles? You see, I care about being energy independant, and I also care about the environment. Wind power isn't as green as President Obama would like everyone to believe. I wonder, why hasn't he brought out the Migratory Bird Act against the Big Wind companies?
"TENS OF MILLIONS" eh?

PROVE it.
You can not.

How much wind energy you need today Raptor? Hang on a few hours it'll be there soon.
<smile>

Location hidden

#173436 Oct 17, 2012
BTW Raptor, your link in your prior post does not work.

Location hidden

#173437 Oct 17, 2012
And they plow under FOREVER millions of acres to do it.... for an energy source that's intermittant at best.
A bit melodramatic I'd say, and untruthful to boot.

Would you like to see some photos of RECLAIMED farm ground that WAS a wind farm at one time? Is not concrete removable and the ground then plowable again?

SE Michigan

#173438 Oct 17, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"TENS OF MILLIONS" eh?
PROVE it.
You can not.
How much wind energy you need today Raptor? Hang on a few hours it'll be there soon.
<smile>
Is this proof enough?
From first link:
The purpose of this document is to increase public awareness of the potential impacts of towers and other human-made structures by highlighting some of the pertinent literature on the subject. The bibliography focuses primarily on collisions with communication towers, lighted buildings, and (to a lesser degree) windows. No effort has been made to cover collisions with power lines or wind turbines,...
http://library.fws.gov/bird_publications/bird...

Notice the date-Revised 1998. Also that there have been NO studies on wind turbines as of that date, according to this article.

From second link:
Communication towers estimates of bird kills are impossible to make because of the lack of data, but totals could easily be over 5 million birds/year, and possibly as many as 50 million. Towers have proliferated in recent years, with an estimated 5000 new towers erected per year during the 1990s, mainly for the cell phone and digital TV industries. Any tall structure will kill birds by collision, and lighted towers attract birds at night. Theoretically cellphone towers are less dangerous than the taller structures, but there is no data either way, and the sheer number of cell phone towers may outweigh any other advantage.
....and there is a real need for more study of the relationship between birds and wind farms.
http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/caus...

From third link:
Millions of migratory birds are killed by striking tall buildings, TV and radio towers, lighthouses, and edifices such as the Perry Monument on Lake Erie.

One September night the 555-foot high Washington Monument took a toll of 576 vireos and warblers between 10:30 P.M. and midnight. A newly erected TV tower on the outskirts of Topeka, Kansas killed 1,090 birds of 61 species over a period of several days. A TV tower at Eau Claire, Wisconsin killed an estimated 20,000 vireos and warblers the night of September 19 -20, 1963.
http://www.netwalk.com/~vireo/devastatingtoll...

For anyone to make the claim that wind turbines kill fewer birds than communication towers is just ridiculous.
First question: Has this issue been studied yet or not? If so, at how many wind farms and for how many seasons?
Second question: If birds are slamming into lighted communication towers and other tall buildings during their nighttime migrations, how in the world are they missing the wind turbines, which are also lighted, the same height in many cases, and take up even more surface area than a cell tower?
Third question: How many wind turbines exist compared to the number of cell towers?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min sonicfilter 1,234,883
News Homicides in Baltimore up 40% 30 min justice 8
News Thousands storm Baltimore streets in protest ca... 3 hr BoneYard 633
News The Big Winners of The Baltimore Riots 4 hr moving on up 5
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr Samuel-7g-Jackson 19,932
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr cpeter1313 309,954
News Tom Brady suspended four games, Patriots lose d... 12 hr tom wingo 64
More from around the web

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]