Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fa...

Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

There are 113993 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173790 Jan 30, 2013
Mamasita wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigot. Vegans, vegetarians, animal rights activists, anti- hunting folks, etc, represent a great portion of society.
Ever consider that some people will never understand how you could take the life of an animal? To many, that is sick.
Best thing anyone can do to help animals is stop eating them.
No, you are the bigot and you prove it with every post. Vegans and vegetarians are a miniscule minority in the world population and the majority of them who post here seem to be raging bigots toward the vast majority of humanity who are meat eaters. I just call 'em as I see 'em.

“I Love California”

Since: Jul 08

In Cali..of course!

#173791 Jan 31, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
I'm glad this report is FINALLY being put out there. Maybe now the government(s) will take real action and not just neuter and release to kill more wildlife.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/29...
So will you be pleased if every cat that is unfortunate enough to be dumped, abandoned, homeless, cold, sickly and hungry is killed? I assume that is what you are referring to when you say, "real action."

This reminds me to give a donation to one of my favorite animal protection groups.

http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx...

Do you ever consider that you would be more effective in educating people about pet responsibility, then having just a kill em off attitude (like you seem to have about cats.) You and I agree on our admiration of the top predators and how they are given a unfair, bad rap many times. Why can't you extend your understanding to an animal that shares some of those amazing predatory instincts?(Even as man was domesticating them for their own selfish reasons.)

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173792 Feb 1, 2013
IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
So will you be pleased if every cat that is unfortunate enough to be dumped, abandoned, homeless, cold, sickly and hungry is killed? I assume that is what you are referring to when you say, "real action."
This reminds me to give a donation to one of my favorite animal protection groups.
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx...
Do you ever consider that you would be more effective in educating people about pet responsibility, then having just a kill em off attitude (like you seem to have about cats.) You and I agree on our admiration of the top predators and how they are given a unfair, bad rap many times. Why can't you extend your understanding to an animal that shares some of those amazing predatory instincts?(Even as man was domesticating them for their own selfish reasons.)
"will you be pleased if every cat that is unfortunate enough to be dumped, abandoned, homeless, cold, sickly and hungry is killed?"
To answer your question, IMGKNEE, No, I will not be pleased or happy about it. My heart goees out to all domesticated animals that don't have a loving home and someone's lap to curl up on at night.

"Real action" could mean whatever you want it to mean. In my fantasy world, all the cats would have good stable, indoor homes and people who feed, care for and love them. In the real world, that won't happen.

Unfortunately, in the real world, those millions of unwanted cats are making millions more unwanted cats, and they multiply unchecked in most areas. They, in turn, are killing billions of songbirds and small animals every year.

Up at the cabin, I've been photographing birds coming to my feeders...AND the birds that don't come to feeders. Every weekend when we go up there, I find cat tracks in the snow in my yard because the neighbor lets her feline run free.

This winter I've been photographing the redpolls, and I've had my sights set on a Ruffed Grouse that's been hanging around the cabin. The grouse is much more challenging and it's such a thrill to have! These (mostly) ground birds are not easy to find and photograph, and are absent, or just very elusive, in many areas.

To think that my neighbors cat (an alien species) could come onto my property and kill a (native) bird that I want there, and I can't do anything about it, just infuriates me. I can't legally kill the birds in my yard, or the grouse without a license,(not that I'd want to), but if my dog went on their property and chased a deer, they could legally kill him, even if it only happened once! Yet, some say deer are over-populated.

Why do cats get special treatment and a license to have open season on any animal they choose? Even endangered species? I place more importance on native species just trying to survive (many of which are severely declining in numbers) than on an over-abundant alien species, that in many cases is well fed, and just killing for fun. Like in this video:


If my neighbors cat is running free all the time, how many litters is it making?

"Do you ever consider that you would be more effective in educating people about pet responsibility, then having just a kill em off attitude (like you seem to have about cats.)"

I've tried that, and gave up. Most people do not wish to be told, or have it suggested to them, what they SHOULD do with their pets, for whatever reasons there are for making those suggestions. All the cat owners I've talked to that let their cats roam free do so under the pretext of "keeping mice down" or because it's "not fair" to keep a cat indoors. Cat people do not change their minds on this issue and they think that predation is just "natural."

Predation IS natural.
Cats killing birds and animals IS natural.
What is NOT natural is cats on this continent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“I'm a humane bowhunter”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#173793 Feb 4, 2013
Congrats to you Ravens fans.
endtime

AOL

#173794 Feb 5, 2013
.

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______



.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173795 Feb 7, 2013
Medicinebow wrote:
Congrats to you Ravens fans.
Thanks! I'm not sure how they did it, the whole season was a roller-coaster ride but they managed to be the last team standing. I think that will be all you get from the Ravens for a while now, too many players in the twilight of their careers. The Niners, on the other hand, will be one of the premier teams for the next few seasons. Their future looks bright.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173796 Feb 13, 2013
Medicinebow wrote:
Congrats to you Ravens fans.
I'm a grouse fan!

This is the best shot I could get of him.... so far. Next photo shoot should be better now that I'm learning more about his habits.
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Documents/ru...

Can't wait until he starts drumming...and then I have little grouselets running around!

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173797 Feb 14, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a grouse fan!
This is the best shot I could get of him.... so far. Next photo shoot should be better now that I'm learning more about his habits.
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Documents/ru...
Can't wait until he starts drumming...and then I have little grouselets running around!
Nice pic, Rap! He looks a bit ruffled though. LMAO!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173798 Feb 14, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Nice pic, Rap! He looks a bit ruffled though. LMAO!
Thank you, Squach. I was the one a bit ruffled. Especially after standing motionless for over 30 minutes and freezing my a** off waiting for him to come into view for a decent shot. Then realizing all I had to do was kneel down and shoot below the branch that was blocking my view! LOL

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173799 Feb 14, 2013

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173800 Feb 18, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Squach. I was the one a bit ruffled. Especially after standing motionless for over 30 minutes and freezing my a** off waiting for him to come into view for a decent shot. Then realizing all I had to do was kneel down and shoot below the branch that was blocking my view! LOL
Couldn't see the forest for the trees, eh? I hate when that happens. I've had some similar experiences hunting. Sat in my stand for hours without seeing a thing and then on the way back into camp jumped one up that had been bedded down all morning, less the 30 yards from my stand in a laurel thicket!

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173801 Feb 18, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Couldn't see the forest for the trees, eh? I hate when that happens. I've had some similar experiences hunting. Sat in my stand for hours without seeing a thing and then on the way back into camp jumped one up that had been bedded down all morning, less the 30 yards from my stand in a laurel thicket!
I hate when that happens.

I got him today though! And I got him good!

After sitting outside in the cold waiting and waiting and waiting, I almost gave up and came home. Instead I decided to look out the bedroom window hoping to see him on the other side of the cabin. All I saw was a blue jay hopping around. Then with a stroke of luck, the grouse just happened to be farther out there in the woods and approaching quickly. Talk about perfect timing!! I got into the other bedroom, window already open and screen already out in anticipation that this is where the photo-shoot would happen and I was able to get him on approach and feeding for several minutes.

Then the blue jays started creating a ruckus and he got nervous and disappeared into the brush. He climbed up on a stump and then I lost track of him. After reviewing some of my many shots to make sure they turned out, I closed the window and reached up to lock it. When I looked up, guess who I saw sitting up in the pine above the feeding area!!! Yep....I got him again!! He is sneaky and clever for sure!

Many weeks and dozens of hours of tracking him, hiding and waiting finally paid off. That was fun! Here are some of the shots:
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Pages/GameBi...

Next adventure....There was a Northern Saw-whet Owl calling during the nights the past few weekends up there. Next time I go I have an owl to find!

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173802 Feb 19, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate when that happens.
I got him today though! And I got him good!
After sitting outside in the cold waiting and waiting and waiting, I almost gave up and came home. Instead I decided to look out the bedroom window hoping to see him on the other side of the cabin. All I saw was a blue jay hopping around. Then with a stroke of luck, the grouse just happened to be farther out there in the woods and approaching quickly. Talk about perfect timing!! I got into the other bedroom, window already open and screen already out in anticipation that this is where the photo-shoot would happen and I was able to get him on approach and feeding for several minutes.
Then the blue jays started creating a ruckus and he got nervous and disappeared into the brush. He climbed up on a stump and then I lost track of him. After reviewing some of my many shots to make sure they turned out, I closed the window and reached up to lock it. When I looked up, guess who I saw sitting up in the pine above the feeding area!!! Yep....I got him again!! He is sneaky and clever for sure!
Many weeks and dozens of hours of tracking him, hiding and waiting finally paid off. That was fun! Here are some of the shots:
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Pages/GameBi...
Next adventure....There was a Northern Saw-whet Owl calling during the nights the past few weekends up there. Next time I go I have an owl to find!
Yep! Looks like ya got 'im. Nice pics. Good luck getting a shot of the owl. Do you shoot with night vision? Or are you going to try to catch it in daylight?
saxsax

Monessen, PA

#173803 Feb 19, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …
Get a Grip on Reality

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173804 Feb 19, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Yep! Looks like ya got 'im. Nice pics. Good luck getting a shot of the owl. Do you shoot with night vision? Or are you going to try to catch it in daylight?
Thank you, Squach.

The owl will be much easier to find at night while he's calling, but to shoot him at night, I'd have to use the flash, or have someone hold a flashlight on him. I'd have to haul a steady tripod though the woods in the dark. Not an ideal situation with all the downed trees, stumps, logs and branches and uneven ground with deep snow drifts.

I much prefer shooting in bright daylight. Luckily, this little owl has a habit of roosting very low in a tree near clearings and he typically doesn't fly away when approached. A friend once found one four feet off the ground in her yard in the city.

I've noticed some rodents at the feeding areas, so I'm thinking he won't be too far from the house.

I'm gonna try to be up before daylight, to hear the direction he's calling from. If it's feasible, I'll search for him then, just to get a general area of where to search in the daylight. If not, I'll wait until the sun comes up and take my chances.

Maybe the chickadees will find him for me. The other birds often give clues as to hiding predators. This one isn't much bigger than a sparrow.

Can't wait until the weekend!

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173805 Feb 19, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Squach.
The owl will be much easier to find at night while he's calling, but to shoot him at night, I'd have to use the flash, or have someone hold a flashlight on him. I'd have to haul a steady tripod though the woods in the dark. Not an ideal situation with all the downed trees, stumps, logs and branches and uneven ground with deep snow drifts.
I much prefer shooting in bright daylight. Luckily, this little owl has a habit of roosting very low in a tree near clearings and he typically doesn't fly away when approached. A friend once found one four feet off the ground in her yard in the city.
I've noticed some rodents at the feeding areas, so I'm thinking he won't be too far from the house.
I'm gonna try to be up before daylight, to hear the direction he's calling from. If it's feasible, I'll search for him then, just to get a general area of where to search in the daylight. If not, I'll wait until the sun comes up and take my chances.
Maybe the chickadees will find him for me. The other birds often give clues as to hiding predators. This one isn't much bigger than a sparrow.
Can't wait until the weekend!
Good luck and happy hunting!

Judged:

12

12

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#173807 Feb 26, 2013
Jakeco wrote:
Well, looks like I'm about to take a job in Elko, Nv. Looks like the hunting, fishing, and general outdoor activities may be fantastic!
Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of this area?
Sorry, I can't help you there. I've been to Vegas quite a few times, but that was years ago. Congratulations and good luck with your new position.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

#173809 Mar 2, 2013
Jakeco wrote:
Well, looks like I'm about to take a job in Elko, Nv. Looks like the hunting, fishing, and general outdoor activities may be fantastic!
Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of this area?
Appears to be good hunting in the area.
http://www.exploreelko.com/hunting.shtml
Bear against Hunters

Dundalk, MD

#173810 Mar 2, 2013
We won.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#173813 Mar 5, 2013
Bear against Hunters wrote:
We won.
Really? When did this happen? Bear hunting has been reinstated around here. I guess you could call that a victory....if you hunt bear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Guest 1,483,046
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 32 min Susanm 313,221
News Faces Drug Charges (Aug '08) 9 hr Mt Vernon Rd resi... 15
News Baltimore shootings up 30 percent compared to t... 19 hr red dawn 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 20 hr Well Well 20,775
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) Jan 19 truth 7,994
Mosby Jan 18 Johnathan T 4

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages