An ugly attack on Mormons

Did you catch the political ad in which two Jews ring the doorbell of a nice working-class family? They barge in and rifle through the wife's purse and then the man's wallet for cash. Full Story
First Prev
of 69
Next Last
Mike

United States

#1 Dec 4, 2008
Yes It is true as you write "no one would dare run such anti-Semitic or anti-Muslim attacks." but mormons did support ads that were so anti gay.. they involved falsehoods that children would be affected, including having sad face children pleading for the vote no. Talk about sick and twisted.
Wendy

United States

#2 Dec 4, 2008
This is a great article. What is our nation coming to when people are allowed to boycott people simply because their point of view is different? When I say allowed, where are all the groups that usually stick up for people when they are in this situation? The ACLU, the anti-defamation group etc...
What happened to tolerance? The gays are doing to relegious groups what they promised they wouldn't do before the PROP 8. I voted against prop 8 but I am having second thoughts about who I alligned myself with.
Speedieg

Dallas, GA

#3 Dec 4, 2008
Tolerance went out the door when the Mormon church declared WAR, yes WAR on the rights of Gays and Lesbians. We are simply using the proven tactics used by the anti-gay religious block. It is time for GLBT people to fight back. Writing letters and donating money gets us nowhere. I don't want tolerance, I want equal rights.
nopoop4you

Buffalo, NY

#5 Dec 4, 2008
Speedieg wrote:
Tolerance went out the door when the Mormon church declared WAR, yes WAR on the rights of Gays and Lesbians. We are simply using the proven tactics used by the anti-gay religious block. It is time for GLBT people to fight back. Writing letters and donating money gets us nowhere. I don't want tolerance, I want equal rights.
you allready have the same rights i do you can marry who ever you want of the opposite sex and do what ever you want
James

West Jordan, UT

#6 Dec 4, 2008
The LDS Church did not declare war on the "rights of gays and lesbians."

This approach is out of the same playbook that brought us antisemitism in Nazi Germany.

For rationally thinking people, the words "equal" and "same" are in fact, two different words.

Gays and lesbians already have the "equal right" to the Institution of Marriage, just as heterosexuals do.

Homosexuals, instead, want a NEW definition of the Institution of marriage, wherein they want to force a social experiment on the whole of society, where children's birthrights are completely eliminated, all in the name of "sexual preferences" for adults.

With their latest boycotts and calls for the IRS to revoke the LDS Church's tax-exempt status, Gay advocates have PROVEN the Yes-on-8 campaign claims: that Gay advocates would try and eliminate free speech rights of their opponents.

So, Gay advocates, please keep up your fascist anti-Mormon tactics, you're providing excellent material for the new ads in 2010.
moquif

United States

#7 Dec 4, 2008
So a group of christians attack a group of people they don't like, then whine about discrimination and oppression when their victims fight back. What else is new?
Grandblvd03

Schaumburg, IL

#10 Dec 4, 2008
It's a free country. People can boycott a company, a church, march in a picket line, run an ad, or protest. And why shouldn't we? Mormons are sure as hell protesting against us. The "ugly" attack on Mormons is no uglier than their attack on gays. If they can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11 Dec 4, 2008
Wendy wrote:
This is a great article. What is our nation coming to when people are allowed to boycott people simply because their point of view is different?
To answer your question; our nation would then be functioning as designed. Remember the Boston Tea PArty? How about the bus boycotts in the civil rights era? How abour bra burnings, draft card burnings? How about the supposed boycott of Disney that Jerry Falwell was behind a few years ago? I could go on....
Those who do not learn from history are just clueless.
Ironman Carmichael

Venice, CA

#13 Dec 4, 2008
Wendy wrote:
This is a great article. What is our nation coming to when people are allowed to boycott people simply because their point of view is different? When I say allowed, where are all the groups that usually stick up for people when they are in this situation? The ACLU, the anti-defamation group etc...
What happened to tolerance? The gays are doing to relegious groups what they promised they wouldn't do before the PROP 8. I voted against prop 8 but I am having second thoughts about who I alligned myself with.
I hope you feel the same way about the "War On Christmas" types who are boycotting people and places for daring to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

Playing the "tolerance" card is a classic example of blaming the victim. Was the late Rosa Parks "intolerant" toward all the white people who felt she belonged at the back of the bus?
Ironman Carmichael

Venice, CA

#15 Dec 4, 2008
James wrote:
Gays and lesbians already have the "equal right" to the Institution of Marriage, just as heterosexuals do.
People need to give that one a rest. In fact, many gay men have married women, and lesbians men, for the sake of appearance or because they mistakenly thought that going through the motions of a heterosexual relationship would somehow magically turn them heterosexual. Never has, never will.

The purpose of marriage is to officially acknowledge the coming together of two hearts and spirits in a pledge to devote the rest of their lives to each other. That certainly won't change by same-sex couples marrying. It is not the purpose of marriage to make a pretense of "normal" family relations.
Dan

Girard, OH

#16 Dec 4, 2008
John wrote:
I'm betting there is a large block of gays that is secretly relieved that Prop 8 passed. The pressure is now off to commit. I mean, seriously now, the gay community, especially the male side, has very different ideas about fidelity in long-term relationships.
Although infidelity exists in heterosexual marriage, it is undertaken at risk of that marriage ending promptly. It is a shocking violation of the marriage covenant.
In the gay community infidelity is the norm and that's not going to change by getting "married."
Why are gays trying to "pretend" on this score? Most of them are not THAT committed to their mates -- not enough to remain faithful.
said the straight guy who falls in the category of the 50+ percent divorce rate. Clean up your own house before you comment on the alleged infidelity of others, thanks very much.
nopoop4you

Buffalo, NY

#17 Dec 4, 2008
Merry Christmas to all
moquif

United States

#19 Dec 4, 2008
James wrote:
With their latest boycotts and calls for the IRS to revoke the LDS Church's tax-exempt status, Gay advocates have PROVEN the Yes-on-8 campaign claims: that Gay advocates would try and eliminate free speech rights of their opponents.
It's not a free speech issue when a tax-exempt organization violates the conditions of being tax exempt. Being a religious organization should be an excuse to break the law. The mormon church can still speak out for Pro 8. They just have to pay their taxes like everyone else.
moquif

United States

#20 Dec 4, 2008
nopoop4you wrote:
Merry Christmas to all
Lo Saturnalie to you as well.

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

#21 Dec 4, 2008
I think it is difficult to call gays "the aggressors". They are just defending themselves and fighting for their rights. The church (mormon, catholic, evangelical, etc.) are all open game, they are the primary aggressors.
Brad

American Fork, UT

#22 Dec 4, 2008
I'm a mormon who supported prop 8, and I honestly would encourage you to peacefully protest and to boycott. Those are two key components to a free society. I do not think the author was saying not to protest or even not to change the constitution back. He was simply saying that the vandalism, the sending white powder to the church buildings and the grossly bigotted commercial are hurting your cause.
You are turning everything the Pro- Prop 8 ads said into self fulfilling prophecies. The ads said that if gay marriage passed the gay community would try to force their views onto religions... Well it didn't pass and oh look what is happening anyways-the gay community is trying to push their views onto the religious community. You are doing a terrific job of proving that the churches really do have something to worry about with the gay marriage initiatives.
To be completely honest you lost the vote by a few percentage. Which direction do you think society is naturally going to move in the future. If you spent a little time trying to build bridges with the rest of the world instead of proving your critics right by attacking religion you will end up winning this far faster. Few things entrench religious positions more the persecution.
Jason

Plainfield, IL

#23 Dec 4, 2008
Mr. Goldberg writes: "It's often lost on gay-rights groups that they and their allies are the aggressors in the culture war."
It seems to me that gay-rights groups have been forced into a position of counter-attack to protect (and in this case attempt to win-back) their rights.
If conservative movements were to retreat, there would be no need for so-called gay-rights "aggression."

“Justice for All”

Since: Jun 08

Chicago

#24 Dec 4, 2008
The problem with the analogy is that organized Muslims aren't going to the homes of Jewish people and blowing themselves up. Jews aren't going to the homes of working class people and stealing their money. The Mormon church DID organize, collect and spend money, advertise, and sponsor the removal of rights from gays and lesbians in California.If they didn't expect anyone to fight back, they shouldn't have gotten in the ring.

Hey Jonah, when was the last time your civil rights were decided by the fleeting opinion of the majority? How about Nazi Germany when the majority of the people thought that Jews were the cause of all their problems? Remember, Hitler was elected by a majority.
Jack the Lad

Chicago, IL

#25 Dec 4, 2008
James wrote:
Homosexuals, instead, want a NEW definition of the Institution of marriage, wherein they want to force a social experiment on the whole of society, where children's birthrights are completely eliminated, all in the name of "sexual preferences" for adults.
So, Gay advocates, please keep up your fascist anti-Mormon tactics, you're providing excellent material for the new ads in 2010.
Explain how allowing two consenting adults to marry would FORCE a social experiment on whole of society. If you don't like gay marriage then don't get gay married. It really is that simple. Besides, perhaps an experiment is in order with 50% divorce rate you hets are doing a terrible job at marriage. Are you afraid we'll do better? And how are children's birthrights eliminated? That doesn't even make sense.
Gay couples had the right to marry in California and the Mormon "church" actively campaigned to remove those rights and now that gay activists are pointing out their involvement and you call that a violation of free speech? I especially find it funny that you consider gay activist fascists when gays could have cared less about your silly cult based on the ravings of an illiterate con-man but now that the mormon cult has sought to hurt them the gays are fighting back against the mormon fascists.
crawford

Chicago, IL

#26 Dec 4, 2008
The gay community should be attaking the Hispanic and African Americans who came out in force to vote for Prop.8. But you won't have the guts to do that because of the backlash that would develop from the press and activists from those groups. The system worked the way it should. The last time the peoples vote on this issue was overturned by a few judges. The people have once again spoken in a true democratic way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 69
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min DBWriter 1,115,200
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr Brian_G 305,850
gay in Towson Maryland 10 hr mdtowson 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 19 hr Chuck 19,285
Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) Sun IMGKNEE 120,156
Double stabbing in Remington leaves one man dead Sep 26 pico 1
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Sep 26 Rachel 90

Baltimore Jobs

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baltimore

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]