2 killed in crash with police cruiser...

2 killed in crash with police cruiser in St. Michaels

There are 41 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 18, 2008, titled 2 killed in crash with police cruiser in St. Michaels. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Two people were killed in a crash with a trooper's vehicle in St. Michaels today, Maryland State Police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Krantzman7

Belvidere, IL

#1 Aug 18, 2008
Many witnesses reported the trooper's speed at nearly 80 MPH in the 35 MPH zone in front of the shopping center where the accident took place. There is no need for this kind of speed, even during an emergency response. Trooper Willoughby should be brought up on charges of vehicular manslaughter and reckless operation of a motor vehicle.
Mike

Easton, MD

#2 Aug 19, 2008
One of the persons killed in the accident is a legendary boat builder on the Chesapeake Bay.

http://runnersontrails.blogspot.com/2008/05/m...

http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm...

http://www.chesapeakecatboats.org/NEWSOFTHEDA...

Shame a man who gave joy to so many people by building them their dream boats had to be taken from this earth in such a tragic way.
Snake

Frederick, MD

#3 Aug 19, 2008
Any proof krantzman7? The witnesses said the people pulled out in front of the trooper. Where do you get your information?
Seasoned Citizen

Norfolk, VA

#4 Aug 19, 2008
This type of accident occurs more frequently with the elderly. They are hard of hearing and react very slowly in emergencies. I'm sure they never heard the police car coming.
Jeff Davis

Glen Burnie, MD

#5 Aug 19, 2008
Did you drug test the Cop? I bet he was late for his 5 min break and felt he was going to miss out on the free doughnuts @ 7-11. The cop should be fired and charged with vehicular homicide. He is doing 80mph on a 35mph street? Was he the only one in the area.Did he get a ticket? I hope the families sue the MSP and the officer loses his job.
Jeff Davis

Glen Burnie, MD

#6 Aug 19, 2008
Seasoned Citizen wrote:
This type of accident occurs more frequently with the elderly. They are hard of hearing and react very slowly in emergencies. I'm sure they never heard the police car coming.
You are a douche bag! I wish it was your parents involved, then you would not say its due to their lack of hearing or ability to react to emergency situations quickly. Think before you speak. Maybe Willoughby was speeding and broke the law. I hope he is sued and put in jail to visit all his buddies he put there . They miss him and have something for him when he gets there. Then justice will be served.
Jeff Davis

Glen Burnie, MD

#7 Aug 19, 2008
St Michaels has no speed limit beyond 35mh anywhere. That cop was negligent and should be charged with a crime!! What kinda crime happens there anyway that makes it acceptable to drive 80mph?? Was someone murdered? Was there a bank robbery? Oh it was 1/2 price doughnuts at the 7-11 and free coffee to all uniform employees
Angry Reader

Columbia, SC

#8 Aug 19, 2008
The kind of comments here are simply astonishing. The lack of respect (going to get donuts, etc) for men and women who put their life on the line to protect and serve is just a reflection of where our country is -- down the drain! When your wife, daughter, husband, boyfriend, mother or sister are having an emergency (and YES, responding to a wreck classifies as an emergency!), do you want someone speeding to their rescue, or do you prefer they just drive at a leisurely pace to get there? The next time you have an emergency and you have to wait a certain amount of time before emergency personnel gets there, DON'T COMPLAIN -- make sure to remember that you EXPECT police officers to drive the SPEED LIMIT to get there. If it had been the other way around, and a car wreck occured and two people died because the police, ambulance and fire did not respond fast enough, people would be screaming "where were they, why didn't they drive fast, why didn't they save them?". The fickle public needs to stop thinking they know everything about how emergency personnel should act and just support them and shut up! So what speed do you all suggest he should have driven at? Are you aware that death can occur if you are t-boned at a mere 35-45 MPH?
MLW

Cambridge, MD

#9 Aug 19, 2008
I have one thing to say to you. You need to get your facts straight and quit saying this bull crap about this trooper was going to the 7-11 to get his dougnuts for free or half price or whatever. You need to put yourself in the troopers and all the emergency responders shoes and maybe you wouldnt be so judgemental.Shame on you for saying such wrong things about this trooper. They put their lives on the line for people like me and you..... Where you there???? Did you witness the accident. If not then I would shut my mouth.
Krantzman7

Belvidere, IL

#10 Aug 19, 2008
Snake wrote:
Any proof krantzman7? The witnesses said the people pulled out in front of the trooper. Where do you get your information?
I get my information from four people, all good friends of mine, who witnessed the accident firsthand. They all said the trooper was "hauling a**," and that ANYONE who pulled out of that shopping center at that moment would have been unable to accurately judge the enormous speed of the cop car.
Let's talk about "necessary speed." 50 MPH past the shopping center vs. 80 MPH would have resulted in an arrival time at the other accident scene (the one the trooper was responding to, 2 miles away) less than 30 seconds "behind schedule." For those not familiar with the area, once you're past commerical shopping area in St. Michaels going east, there's alomost nothing along that road until you get to the "other" accident site. He could have accelerated to 80 MPH less than 20 seconds later and been relatively safe doing so. But we know what he did instead.
Police policy needs to be reviewed.
GTO

United States

#11 Aug 19, 2008
Neither one of you should judge the actions of the trooper. witnesses or not ( witness account vary all the time with bias and without), he was doing his job. I know Trooper Willoughby personally and I will tell you that he feels just as bad that this happened as anyone would. Do any of you speed? If you are just 10 mph over in a slower speed limit zone, it could easily result in a death due to the type of impact that this accident happened to be. No police officer wants this to happen, we constantly fear the slow response of the public to flashing lights. Mr Davis, I hope that you would reconsider your statements and recant your viewpoint for fear of what may happen to person with such a cocky attitude as yourself. I wish people would not be so quick to judge public servants, we are people just like you. While there may be zeal that exist in this job, I assure you Trooper Willougby would be just as quick to assist you in the event of your injury, even if he knew your stance against him. I hope you are never in a situation where you need immediate help. I hope also that you are not so quick to judge others in other aspects of your life, home, job etc. If you do, you must be able to walk on water.
"Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judge By Your Own Standards"

“armed, cute and smart (alec)”

Since: Jul 08

Newport News/Hampton, VA

#12 Aug 19, 2008
Don't blame the Trooper in this! If it were your family members at the crash he was responding to, you would probably complain about his response time. It's terribly unfortunate that these elderly folks did not see/hear his emergency equipment. They were in their late 80's, so I don't think it was out of line for someone to mention that to be a possible factor. It's just a terrible accident. I'm sure emotions are high, but I'm going to have to favor the side of the experienced Trooper.
Jeff Davis

Brooklyn, MD

#13 Aug 19, 2008
Does or has anyone here ever been to St Michaels? It is small. Once you leave the shopping center and 20 or so homes its open road. Couldn't he wait to speed past mall area? What was he hopped up on? Was it a shooting? Gunplay? Armed robbery/carjacking? St Michaels is like Mayberry. Police have no business driving that fast anytime!!
Captain Kirk

United States

#14 Aug 19, 2008
I know all about cops. that stuff about putting their lives on the line is a bunch of horse manure.They could care less about the public. They become cops because they feel inferior and need that badge to make up whatever nurturing they didnt get from their mommy. I could write a book about all the stuff Iv'e seen cops do and get away with. So dont hand me that garbage about them putting their lives on the line. Nobody makes them become cops.
Allana

Millsboro, DE

#15 Aug 20, 2008
for all anyone knows about this accident, he could have been responing to the Easton Kidnapping last night of Sumera Ullah. Rushing to the scene? Just a thought. its sad that two had to die as a result, but some people in uniforms are really heros
Rick

Easton, MD

#16 Aug 20, 2008
Anybody that makes a comment regarding information they have no first hand knowledge about, or that has been presented by a bipartisan review board is really 'out of line'. Unfortunately, this was an 'accident' in the true definition of the word. Good people died, and we still do not know the facts. Some of the comments above have been fair and valid, but many have been made by people that are just ignorant. There will be full disclosure and the appropriate people will be held accountable, possibly posthumously.
Snake

Frederick, MD

#17 Aug 21, 2008
Looks like krantzdouche7 and jeff dumbass have had their own issues with the police. No other way to explain the hatred. krantzdouche claims several friends were witnesses. And your point about hauling ass? Lights and sirens were on- no debate about that. Victim failed to yield- case closed.
Snake

Frederick, MD

#18 Aug 21, 2008
I forgot to add captain kirk the list with krantzdouche7 and jeff dumba**. He knows all about cops, probably because hes been arrested so many times. Your name says it all douche.
Captain Kirk

Hanover, VA

#19 Aug 21, 2008
Snake wrote:
I forgot to add captain kirk the list with krantzdouche7 and jeff dumba**. He knows all about cops, probably because hes been arrested so many times. Your name says it all ****.
Hey wise guy, 25 yrs law enforcement with a large municipal police dept. Thats how I know you moron.
Mike

Easton, MD

#20 Aug 21, 2008
I talked with a friend of mine yesterday about this, and it happened just down the street from his place of business. He has seen it too many times troopers hauling ass in a VERY busy area of 33 where their ALOT of cars pulling in and out of several businesses / Right before the accident he seen the trooper stomp on the gas, really put the car in a squat , and he remarked to his wife that somebody is going to pull in the path of one of them, not realizing how fast they ae traveling. Seconds later he heard the CRASH. i CREATED A MAP THAT MARKS THE LOCATION OF HIS SHOP and the scene of the crash. If you notice the trooper could have gone half the speed for another couple blocks and he would be out of the congested area.

http://pininthemap.com/pp64200cb645b8b9f86

I think the law enforcement needs to look at their guidelines on where and when they should travel at very high rates of speed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min zef 311,894
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min USAsince1680 1,432,795
News Baltimore residents offers ideas for police ref... 3 hr davy 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr putin4trumpspooty 20,622
Review: Around The States Moving & Storage (Apr '15) 15 hr davidM597 82
News At Least 20 Shot Over the Weekend In Baltimore,... Mon former democrat 1
legit Research Chemicals Vendor (Sep '13) Sep 25 amy 42

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages