Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311139 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#252370 Aug 11, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe consent to sex equals consent to pregnancy, BA?
LOL, I hear that here and I always ignore it as too stupid to answer to, but hey, I'm being nice to you now, so I will. I have known since I was 12 or so, that sex could lead to pregnancy and that I would be responsible for that child for the rest of my life. Believe it or not, I have had many chances for sex that I have turned down because of this realization. In fact, it's very hard for me to feel sorry for anyone who got pregnant, or got someone pregnant, when I think of all the fine things I have walked away from. Anyway, hunting for bear with a bow may be exhilarating, but if the bear gets you, even by accident, remember, you put yourself in that situation, and you have no one to blame but yourself, you're accountable for you own actions, even if it seemed like fun at the time.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#252371 Aug 11, 2012
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not always productive here, that is for sure.
How much more school do you have to go?
Two, for my BSN.

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252372 Aug 11, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
You are making assumptions here, such as saying that ONLY clinical depression is to be acknowledged when the other types can be just as severe. Emotional states are not the same as "moods"; the latter is a vague term usually delineating a change in external demeanor--it's not a clinical term. Who are you to dismiss the very real emotional problems a woman undergoes?
<quoted text>
I didn't say that ONLY clinical depression qualifies as "mental health" moron, dont twist things. I said clinical depression would be covered under R v W's definition of "mental health". "Emotional" is the vague term when used to define "mental health" becuase it does include temporary, reversible MOODS. Who are you to pass a death sentence on a viable fetus because you are incapable of appreciating the value of life over temporary, "emotional" mood swings?

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252373 Aug 11, 2012
pupsee wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with elise, but I do see your point about learning ..
I did learn something .. that my hate filled attitude was getting me nowhere .. I also learned that the majority of the pl slant was nothing but hate ..
I learned that pc was not pro abortion as pl would have you believe ..
Nice to see you as always, Badaxe !!
Elise's point was that she didn't believe people were here to learn or educate, yet you admit that you learned something from the debate here? Pupsee, I like you, and I have always stood up for you and probably always will, but you have to forget about the idiots here on the PL side that turned on you and speak your own PL mind again. Your views haven't changed, just who you consider friends has changed. A little secret, few like me because I will never sell my own opinions for the sake of being friends, and I wouldnt have it any other way. PC is about necessary choice, but some here have no consideration for the fetus at all, tell me, do you consider abortion to be 100% about the woman's choice until the cord is cut? Or do you believe that some restrictions should be imposed?

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252374 Aug 11, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not getting this,and I'm not trying to be a smart -ass. Even if the percent,is not that high,or only a few would do this,don't you think ,only a few is too many? For goodness sake your talking about healthy viable entities.
I would agree that any life that could be saved is worth trying to save. Many on the PC side try to play down the significance of restrictions on LTA by saying how rare it is, look at any post or link from the PC side and the first thing they say is about how rare it is, relative in percentage, never the numbers. I dont think you fully understand where I am coming from on this, but I'm open to discussion, nice to meet you Old Lady.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#252375 Aug 12, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
*believe that*
Thank goodness you corrected yourself otherwise no one would have any idea about what you meant! Bwhahahahahah ;)

Location hidden

#252376 Aug 12, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
We are not reckless, ruthless creatures. Our hearts hurt each day for our losses. We mourn. We speak the names and nicknames of each otherís babies to one another; we hold each other up on the anniversaries of our losses, and we celebrate new babies and new accomplishments, all bittersweet because they arrive in the wake of grief. We extend our arms to the women who must join our community, and we lament that our numbers rise every day.
Medical research from the Guttmacher Institute shows that post-21-week terminations make up less than 2&#8201;percent of all abortions in this country. Women like me can seem an exception. You also rarely hear stories like mine, because they involve intensely private sorrow and because there is no small amount of shame still associated with terminating a pregnancy, no matter how medically necessary.
The consequences of the House bill, if it becomes law, will be inhumane. If the restrictions in this bill had been the law of the land when my husband and I received our diagnosis, I would have had to carry to term and give birth to a baby who the doctors concurred had no chance of a real life and who would have faced severe, continual pain. The decision my husband and I made to terminate the pregnancy was made out of love ó to spare my son pain and suffering.
The ugly politics in this Congress and the sheer number of Republicans mean that this bill will likely pass in the House. I understand any citizenís hesitancy when the issue of the right to middle-term to late-term abortion arises. But I also know from my own experience that this bill would have calamitous ramifications for real women and real families, and that the women it would most affect could never imagine they would need their right to abortion protected in this way.
Women and their families must be able to trust their doctors and retain their access to medical care when they most need it. To make sure that happens, members of the Senate and ordinary people across this country must see through the stereotype of the late-term aborter and see, instead, the true face of a woman who has been in this situation. I extend my hand; it is an honor to make your acquaintance.
You know I adore you, but you gotta know, my attention span is three sentences,,, MAX. Once in a while, a post that's more than that will catch my attention,,,, this is not one of those posts! Bwhahahah

Location hidden

#252377 Aug 12, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
We are not reckless, ruthless creatures. Our hearts hurt each day for our losses. We mourn. We speak the names and nicknames of each otherís babies to one another; we hold each other up on the anniversaries of our losses, and we celebrate new babies and new accomplishments, all bittersweet because they arrive in the wake of grief. We extend our arms to the women who must join our community, and we lament that our numbers rise every day.
Medical research from the Guttmacher Institute shows that post-21-week terminations make up less than 2&#8201;percent of all abortions in this country. Women like me can seem an exception. You also rarely hear stories like mine, because they involve intensely private sorrow and because there is no small amount of shame still associated with terminating a pregnancy, no matter how medically necessary.
The consequences of the House bill, if it becomes law, will be inhumane. If the restrictions in this bill had been the law of the land when my husband and I received our diagnosis, I would have had to carry to term and give birth to a baby who the doctors concurred had no chance of a real life and who would have faced severe, continual pain. The decision my husband and I made to terminate the pregnancy was made out of love ó to spare my son pain and suffering.
The ugly politics in this Congress and the sheer number of Republicans mean that this bill will likely pass in the House. I understand any citizenís hesitancy when the issue of the right to middle-term to late-term abortion arises. But I also know from my own experience that this bill would have calamitous ramifications for real women and real families, and that the women it would most affect could never imagine they would need their right to abortion protected in this way.
Women and their families must be able to trust their doctors and retain their access to medical care when they most need it. To make sure that happens, members of the Senate and ordinary people across this country must see through the stereotype of the late-term aborter and see, instead, the true face of a woman who has been in this situation. I extend my hand; it is an honor to make your acquaintance.
Actually,,, the beginning of this one is kinda catchy, I should give this one a go.....

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252379 Aug 12, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
I need to do some digging, but I do believe that if we look at the incidence of post-viability abortions in countries/societies where abortion is completely unrestricted, we will see extremely low numbers. Simply put, even if "the message" is that one is permitted to obtain an abortion any time for any reason, post-viability abortions *still* are not exactly de rigeur.
But isn't that my point? When no consideration is put on the fetus, in countries with no restrictions, that sends a message that abortion is OK, and all about the woman. Of course LTA abortions would be lower, they just abort sooner due to the lack of legal and moral respect of potentail human life.

Location hidden

#252380 Aug 12, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not getting this,and I'm not trying to be a smart -ass. Even if the percent,is not that high,or only a few would do this,don't you think ,only a few is too many? For goodness sake your talking about healthy viable entities.
Purely selfish for the reasons stated; absolutely!

I know I became a huge heffer after my second, and I honestly thought I would after the first,,,, that didn't stop me. Why? Because I know it's genetic and therefore not my fault.

Sure the booze are high calorie, but the illicit drug use keep me below 400 stone! That's good enough for me, I guess it wasn't for my ex....

Location hidden

#252381 Aug 12, 2012
pupsee wrote:
<quoted text>
I wholeheartedly agree elise, it took a while for me to realize that anything said here is wasted bandwidth when it comes to this topic ..
What has come out of it is some friendships ..
Definately!

Location hidden

#252382 Aug 12, 2012
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe she should just be put into an induced coma.
You obviously really like who you're talking about,,,, induced coma's ROCK! Best trips EVER

Location hidden

#252383 Aug 12, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see where I even said I made a poor choice?
Welcome to being human...

Location hidden

#252384 Aug 12, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see where I even said I made a poor choice?
I feel bad for you in that you feel that way.....sorry bout that...

Location hidden

#252385 Aug 12, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>I've learned a lot about the Catholic faith from you personally Pups, and I thank you for that. I've learned much from you off these forums as well, and I apprecaite you as a friend and as a poster. Just sayin LOL!
Isn't she grand? I adore her too

Location hidden

#252386 Aug 12, 2012
Good night folks,,, have sweet dreams

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#252387 Aug 12, 2012
Badaxe wrote:
<quoted text>But isn't that my point? When no consideration is put on the fetus, in countries with no restrictions, that sends a message that abortion is OK, and all about the woman. Of course LTA abortions would be lower, they just abort sooner due to the lack of legal and moral respect of potentail human life.
If a woman is going to abort, it's better that she abort as early as possible. Hindering her freedom to do so doesn't make sense.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#252388 Aug 12, 2012
Badaxe wrote:
<quoted text>There's also the issue of forcing a premature child, and all the lifetime health problems that child may have, on to a woman and her family. People like Lily are quick to judge a woman in such a situation, but are invisible when it comes to raising that child, and dealing with the effects it may have on the entire family. Obviously, a woman in that situation, of having to abort to save her life, did not choose to have to make that decision and is traumatized enough without self-righteous morons telling them they have absolutely no right to abort.
Exactly. Idiots like LYnne and the Skank keep things like 'There's NO reason NOT to have a so called viable baby if the mothers life is endangered', never mind that its premature and will need expensive and invasive care and may likely have terrible medical issues their whole lives. BUT GIT THAT BABY BORN NO MATTER WHAT!@@

Location hidden

#252389 Aug 12, 2012
R C Honey wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't she grand? I adore her too
Yup. And Rach? I've learned from you too. You may play flip and funny, but you were there for me when it counted. You rock too woman.

Location hidden

#252390 Aug 12, 2012
Badaxe wrote:
<quoted text>There's also the issue of forcing a premature child, and all the lifetime health problems that child may have, on to a woman and her family. People like Lily are quick to judge a woman in such a situation, but are invisible when it comes to raising that child, and dealing with the effects it may have on the entire family. Obviously, a woman in that situation, of having to abort to save her life, did not choose to have to make that decision and is traumatized enough without self-righteous morons telling them they have absolutely no right to abort.
Lets not forget too that although only 2% of abortions are LTA's, that's a significant number for women like those that are in the article. There were about 4 million actually born, and even 2% of that is a lot.

some stats:

Pregnancy:
There are approximately 6 million pregnancies every year throughout the United States:

4,058,000 live births
1,995,840 pregnancy losses
Pregnancy Loss:
Every year in the United States there are approximately 2 million women who experience pregnancy loss:

600,000 women experience pregnancy loss through miscarriage
1,200,000 women experience pregnancy loss through termination
64,000 women experience pregnancy loss through ectopic pregnancy
6,000 women experience pregnancy loss through molar pregnancies
26,000 women experience pregnancy loss through stillbirth
Pregnancy Complications:
Every year in the United States:

875,000 woman experience one or more pregnancy complications
458,952 babies are born to mothers without adequate prenatal care
467,201 babies are born prematurely
307,030 babies are born with Low Birth Weight
154,051 children are born with Birth Defects
27,864 infants die before their first birthday
Reproductive Health:
Every year in the United States, there are 60,000,000 women in the childbearing years of 15-44 :

70% of these women are sexually active
64% use a form of contraception
3,000,000 use NO contraception, accounting for 47% of unplanned pregnancies
6,000,000 women deal with infertility
2,000,000 married couples are infertile
Currently there are 68,000,000 individuals with an STD:

There are 15,300,000 new STD cases each year
3,000,000 teenagers acquire an STD each year
Pregnancy & Social Concerns:
Every year in the United States:

468,988 babies are born to teenage mothers each year
11% of pregnant woman are diagnosed with Post Partum Depression
820,000 woman smoke cigarettes while pregnant
221,000 women use illicit drugs during pregnancy
757,000 woman drink alcohol while pregnant
240,000 pregnant women are subject to domestic violence
40% of assaults begin during the first pregnancy
Pregnant women are twice the risk of battery

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RealDave 1,382,554
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr John Doe 20,279
Officer acquitted on all charges in Freddie Gra... 9 hr Jackson 17
News Three people fatally shot since Sunday in Balti... 14 hr bozo 1
Joey Trimper Jr Mon Curiousity Killed... 1
News Two dead after two shootings in Baltimore Sunday Mon bozo 1
Meet women near you Mon steve621 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages