10 free agent who could interest O's

10 free agent who could interest O's

There are 49 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 13, 2008, titled 10 free agent who could interest O's. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The free agent signing period begins tomorrow and it is expected that the Orioles will be active in the bidding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
larry g

Gwynn Oak, MD

#1 Nov 13, 2008
this is not much at all
Shawn

Elkridge, MD

#2 Nov 13, 2008
No Teixeira and I disown the O's. Pleanty of other teams need support. I wonder if the Nats would like a new fan?

“Billy Griffin”

Since: Feb 08

Studio City

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Emil Brown???
The last thing the Orioles should be concerned with is obtaining another outfielder.
They've got a plethera of young OF's who'll defintely hit over 244!!
Mark

Washington, DC

#4 Nov 13, 2008
Why would Emil Brown draw any interest at all? Is there any reason why Lou Montanez wouldn't fit that role, or possibly beat out Scott for a full time spot in right field?
Mark

Washington, DC

#5 Nov 13, 2008
Ooos. I meant left field.
Mark

Washington, DC

#6 Nov 13, 2008
Oops, I meant oops, not ooos.

How long can I keep this up?
larry g

Gwynn Oak, MD

#7 Nov 13, 2008
Too fast on the gun wrote:
Emil Brown???
The last thing the Orioles should be concerned with is obtaining another outfielder.
They've got a plethera of young OF's who'll defintely hit over 244!!
That boy Hernandez can hit
Maui Guy

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 13, 2008
Emil who? Why oh why?

Gregg Zaun? The very definition of "Over the Hill".

Please tell me we aren't expected to watch guys like this another year. I for one ,a fan all of my life-which means all the O's life since the 50's-cannot go one more year watching the dregs of baseball march up to the plate again.

Rather take a long walk, or collect comic books.
BobE

Newtown Square, PA

#9 Nov 13, 2008
Orlando Cabrera is a winner. The Red Sox blew it letting him go for Renteria. Please no Renteria.......
Bill

Moorestown, NJ

#10 Nov 13, 2008
WHO REALLY CARES ! This team has been such a "loser " for the past 8 to 10 years, and will ALWAYS be as long as Angelos is the majority owner !
Jack Lee

United States

#11 Nov 13, 2008
Shawn wrote:
No Teixeira and I disown the O's. Pleanty of other teams need support. I wonder if the Nats would like a new fan?
Should expect to be disowned. Teixeira signing with the Orioles was always a media creation, nothing more. He's going with the money and who cares? After the Bell and Sosa flops here, we don't need Teixeira.
Level Headed

Arlington, VA

#12 Nov 13, 2008
Not sure where Emil Brown came from. Montenez, or somebody on the farm, would be a better bet.
I like Luke Scott, but let's be honest. All he really is is a nicer J. Gibbons. A streaky hitter at best who can't field, can't throw, and can't run.
J.Payton filled this role last year, and as the year went on got more playing time,(although some of it came because Jones went down). I'd rather have Payton's D and speed over Scotts LH bat any day.
veedub

Englewood, CO

#13 Nov 13, 2008
Burnett and Teixeira are the only free agents on this list that make any bit of sense. Maybe Zaun, just to back up and tutor Wieters. I don't want Ramon anywhere near him.

Emil Brown?!? Why the hell would we want to bring in Jay Payton v2.0?
Mike

Havre De Grace, MD

#14 Nov 13, 2008
Why has everyone in baseball forgotten that AJ Burnett is not very good? He was underserving and overpaid in his last deal, and now he opts out and is likely to make even more. Check the guys stats... he will be an expensive bsut for whoever signs him.
Baseball Al

Norristown, PA

#15 Nov 13, 2008
I agree, not much of a list.

The only player worth any effort is Teixeira. I would offer him the farm...

Whatever it takes get him. Solves first base and DH.
Fire Trembley

United States

#16 Nov 13, 2008
This team will accomplish nothing this off-season. MacPhail has already stated that any free-agent pick up he makes is just a stop gap while we wait for minor league talent to develop. He intends to stick with his long slow process of developing talent from within, that will hopefully make the O's competitive for a longer period of time. Problem is, that period of time won't start until 2012 or 2013 and he'll continue to lose fans and revenue during that period. This franchise has tanked.
jon dey

Canada

#17 Nov 13, 2008
They won't even sign the few good players they have now. This is the only time I have ever agreed with the urchin Fire Trembley.
Fire Trembley

United States

#18 Nov 13, 2008
jon dey wrote:
They won't even sign the few good players they have now. This is the only time I have ever agreed with the urchin Fire Trembley.
I knew you'd see it my way sooner or later.
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

#19 Nov 13, 2008
Outside of 2 or 3 players on that list it looked like a garbage heap to me. Paul Bryd another old over the hill pitcher that might be good as a number 5 starter on a contending team , but throws slower then steve trachisal.Why not just give low montanez or reimold a chance to play left field. Outfield is the last position we need to fill. Greg zaun is older then his uncle rick dempsey. I really think the word rebuilding means get older and slower to the orioles.
Fire Trembley

United States

#21 Nov 13, 2008
And by rebuild...Angelos meant rebuild his bank account by lowering his payroll and collecting money from MASN and other AL East fans that come to Baltimore to see their team roll the O's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Earl 1,744,277
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 27 min Radio Flyer 3016 336,436
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Radio Flyer 3016 21,530
Baltimore is dead to me Tue Truth 1
Mace Electric's Dick Colon raped an 11-year-old... (Jun '13) Apr 14 Mohammed 90
Obama Must Have a Midget Ding Dong Apr 10 Zoo Keeper 1
News Memories of 'the Village,' as it used to be (Sep '08) Apr 9 Pat 17

Baltimore Jobs

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages