Portrait Gallery exhibit gives hip-hop a good rap

Full story: Baltimore Sun

The National Portrait Gallery in downtown Washington has definitely changed since its reopening in 2006.
Comments
21 - 40 of 41 Comments Last updated Aug 22, 2013
Kid Ghost

Baltimore, MD

#21 Mar 31, 2009
shades wrote:
<quoted text>
yo lets do it. U first.
I am the illest villian
Who's billin
Givin people the feelin
of the real
That's the vision :
Yo I was born with skillz
It's just a fact so I have to be ill
When it comes time to spit you betta spit somethin real.
Sahib aka Da humanbeatbox

Catonsville, MD

#22 Jul 23, 2009
Shorty T aka Tiny Tut wrote:
Don't forget the We Rock Crew (aka The Murphy Crew) and The Golden Boys. These might've just been crews that sent their tapes in to Chuck Maxx and WEBB, but they were good.
Anyone here have any tapes of the Charm City Crew, We Rock Crew, or Golden Boys. I can remember some of their raps almost verbatim, but I can't find them anywhere online.
thanks 4 remembering us.I Started this group [ We Rock Crew ] along time ago, myself and my brother Universe. Of course jeffrey g. and terry t. we meet one day batteling and became family every since.Thank God we are still alive! THANKS 4 your surport.I still have some of our old material but it's not much.
Sahib aka Da humanbeatbox

Catonsville, MD

#23 Jul 23, 2009
Darryl Harris wrote:
Hello, I am a relative of one of the old school hip hop artists from Baltimore, MD and i think they should be mentiond. Each and every artist help improve Hip Hop. Here are some of the artists.
Khaos & Dba
Numark Crew - Kevin Liles { former executive producer of Def Jam records}, Dj Spinna , Studio Moe, Blackswing.{ this ends the numark Crew list.}
Baby Kodad
Krash Nice
Runaway Slaves
Charm City Crew
Circle of Native Vibes
{ For sources go to Baghat Vinyl .com, Diggers with grattitude. com, or you can look around for some of those artists.}
It's ashame that you've mention charm city crew and not the we rock crew when we've repeatedly crushed them in battles thats how we got our recording deal. we placed baltimore on the map. All other crews came after us!
DBA

Baltimore, MD

#24 Jul 23, 2009
Sahib aka Da humanbeatbox wrote:
<quoted text> It's ashame that you've mention charm city crew and not the we rock crew when we've repeatedly crushed them in battles thats how we got our recording deal. we placed baltimore on the map. All other crews came after us!
I hear you.. We Rock Crew was nice.. i remember alot of the older emcees out of baltimore, the uno girls, etc.. when WEAA used to go off when the sun went down.... back in the day.. i need to try to find those old tapes i had back in the day.. i taped off of the radio..
Darryl Harris

Baltimore, MD

#25 Jul 25, 2009
<quoted text> It's ashame that you've mention charm city crew and not the we rock crew when we've repeatedly crushed them in battles thats how we got our recording deal. we placed baltimore on the map. All other crews came after us!
My Bad, I know there are some Bmore Hip Hop artists I didn't mention.
Trife

Baltimore, MD

#26 Jul 25, 2009
"When I was younger, I looked to Z3 MC, We Rock Crew, Numarx with Kevin Liles. I looked up to them and I studied what they did and wanted to be better than them," Lab says. "And I took what they did seriously. They were already doing what I wanted to do, and we don't have that anymore. We have people trying to hit the lottery, and I've been saying this same thing for years." - Labtekwon

"Kevin Liles: Baltimore has its own sound. In order for Baltimore music to go outside of Baltimore, it would have to have a more universal sound.

When I think about Dru Hill—I worked with them for so many years, and they were so special to Baltimore on the R&B side. In a matter of three albums, they sold a collective 20 million copies. They meant so much to the Baltimore movement. And I’m just glad that I had the opportunity to play a part in it.

When it comes hip-hop, you know we have a very unique sound, and from back in the day, there was the We Rock Crew, the Numarx, the Charm City Crew, the Uno Girls. Baltimore went through a period where we were doing hip-hop like any other city. But then we came up with this Baltimore club music, and I think it has its own unique sound. And I wish the kids tremendous success on that, but again, in order to go outside of Baltimore, we’re going to have a very universal sound. It’s going to have to appeal to more than that corner. Like go-go—in order to have a universal sound, it has to appeal to more than D.C. It did it a couple of times with “Sardines and Pork and Beans” and “Da Butt.” Just like “Doo Doo Brown”—when Frank Ski did that record—and when we did the “Do It Good” record and the “North Avenue” record.

The next thing coming from Baltimore is a [rapper] who represents every bit of Baltimore and can represent the struggle. That next kid is going to come, and it’s going to be more than just about what The Wire represents, more than just about what The Corner represents—its going to be about the true spirit of Baltimore. He’s going to be the voice of the struggle. And there are a couple of kids that we’re looking at. I’m just looking forward to these kids coming out of Baltimore."- Kevin Liles
TheUnknownMc

Baltimore, MD

#27 Jul 25, 2009
Instead of talking about which crew was better let's be glad that Bmore hip hop is being recognized.
Dskillz

Baltimore, MD

#28 Aug 29, 2009
Ya'll didn't put Bmore on the map.
Bmore Club put Bmore on the Map.
Shorty T aka Tiny Tut

Corona Del Mar, CA

#29 Aug 6, 2010
<quoted text>thanks 4 remembering us.I Started this group [ We Rock Crew ] along time ago, myself and my brother Universe. Of course jeffrey g. and terry t. we meet one day batteling and became family every since.Thank God we are still alive! THANKS 4 your surport.I still have some of our old material but it's not much.
I'm sorry I didn't check back here until a year later, but it's great to see that you're online. And the fact that you still have some of your old material is awesome. The one I remember had a chorus along the lines of "We are the We Rock Crew and we know just what to do." I wish there was a way for you to upload what you have to the Web, but if not, then maybe some way you could make a copy and drop it in the mail? Let me know at blawck at gmail dot com. Glad to hear all of the crew is still with us.

On a separate note, I'm not sure if any of you remember Haji Rock (talk about obscure), but I actually found one of his tracks (not his best, in my opinion) on YouTube:
Darryl Harris

Martinsburg, WV

#30 Aug 7, 2010
Anyone remember the Annexx Click.
Rob Taylor

United States

#31 Mar 2, 2011
Darryl Harris wrote:
Anyone remember the Annexx Click.
Yes indeed, I remember them. I know one of the dudes Kevin Mack. They from Edmondson Village, they was under Kid Concrete
Rob Taylor

New York, NY

#32 Jul 13, 2011
smitty wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah but that group wasnt national. He just works for def-jam. I still dont know any group or rappers that were sucessful from balitmore.
actually, the Z-3mcs with the song Triple Threat made it nationally. They were on Beauty and The Beat Label. Their song was sampled by alot of people. Most notably by Dr. Dre on NWA Ni$$asFor Life Album on the song Real Ni$$asDon't Die, so that's national.
Rob Taylor

New York, NY

#33 Jul 13, 2011
Anyone remember The Power Force Crew? They were tight, can't believe they don't get no mention. They used to submit their tapes to WWIN to Mack James. That was like 84-85. Another tight crew was the Rock Shock Crew, they used to do commercials for Charley Rudos. But of course We Rock Krew was on top. I remember this line from one of their tapes.....Terry T he can rock he's Baltimor's number one disc jock. Classic. Peace Jeff, Uni,T.
John aka Kamanda

Charlotte, NC

#34 Nov 27, 2011
True that with the club. I, Kamanda, from The Double A Crew (Argyle Avenue), rapped hard. That was my thing but on the weekend you could find me at Odell's, Gio's, Volcano's, The Underground ( E.A., E.A. ).
DJICHIBAN

Washington, DC

#35 May 21, 2012
Rob Taylor wrote:
Anyone remember The Power Force Crew? They were tight, can't believe they don't get no mention. They used to submit their tapes to WWIN to Mack James. That was like 84-85. Another tight crew was the Rock Shock Crew, they used to do commercials for Charley Rudos. But of course We Rock Krew was on top. I remember this line from one of their tapes.....Terry T he can rock he's Baltimor's number one disc jock. Classic. Peace Jeff, Uni,T.
Does anyone still have any of these mixes that they are willing to share? Hit me up at djichiban@hotmail.com. Thanks.
tommy2gunnzz

Perkinston, MS

#36 Jun 1, 2012
Yeah, I remember Haji, he was my dog during those years. We waz both from Brooklyn. Tryin to find him again. He was in the army, I went to prison and lost touch. If he is still above ground, I'll find him. Peace
Dskillz

Baltimore, MD

#37 Oct 24, 2012
Underground Bmore Hip Hop:
http://soundcloud.com/search...

Peace to everyone keeping the real alive.
" I live for the funk, I die for the Funk"
Dskillz

Baltimore, MD

#38 Oct 24, 2012
http://soundcloud.com/search...

Underground Hip Hop.
Peace to everybody keeping the real alive.
bee moe aka tony rone

Lexington, KY

#39 Mar 28, 2013
im loving this. 41 years old from bmore. i represent the old school 2 da fullest. somebody tell terry t to hit me up.
DownByLaw

Baltimore, MD

#40 Apr 30, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeah 1,100,625
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Pearl Jam 305,467
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Bently 18,880
gay hookup in maryland 3 hr Mdkid 4
One Action Movie Can Damage a Mind for Life 5 hr HidingInMyCave 6
Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) Thu Raptor in Michigan 120,152
Review: Dundalk Animal Hospital - Dennis G Fost... (Jan '09) Aug 28 time 26
•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••