'Greatest' came from NFL's best

Full story: Baltimore Sun

On Dec.28, 1958, the NFL 's best offense and defense, its finest quarterback, its best possession receiver and big-play threat, its most dominant defensive lineman and prototype offensive tackles, its ...
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2008
jimmy swift

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

I hope many.fans will watch this presentation of the '58 game on ESPN. The younger generation will see what we had , way back when . "Simply the Best " This would also be a good thing for Raven's players to watch .

Since: May 08

Elkton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

I saw ESPN's replay last night with the commentary and many of the old stars! Great show! Great game...I was only 8 months old when they played. My Dad never saw the game because he was stationed in Europe. I TVO'd the game for him...it will make a great x-mas present!
Rich

Marion, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Thanks to ESPN for their wonderful 50th year tribute to the greatest game ever played. First, they didn't try to take away the "Greatest Game Ever Played" status. Second, they gave notice to the greatest pro marching band ever, the Baltimore Colt Marching Band. They were trully the greatest and the best of Baltimore Colt fans. Last and certainally not least, ESPN prove in no uncertain terms that Gifford was short on the 3rd down play going for a 1st down when Gino broke his ankle. For 50 tears the Giants have been crying that they had the first down, but in all the confusion of Gino"s ankle the ball was moved from a 1st down to 4 inches short. Well no more crying from those Giants, ESPN proved Gifford was 4" short. Punt give the ball over to Johnny and the rest is history. THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED. Great program by ESPN.

“Orioles, Colts, Bullets ”

Since: Apr 08

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

I've been a COLTS FAN since 1971, and I am STILL a COLTS FAN. From Johnny Unitas and Bert Jones to Gary Hogeboom, Jim Harbaugh, and Peyton Manning. It was a GREAT SHOW, baby! They had current Indianapolis Colts players and coaches. Even the former Baltimore Colts players, such as Raymond Berry, recognized The Indianapolis Colts as a continuation of The Baltimore Colts franchise. TONY DUNGY said that there is a definite bond between this current Indianapolis Colts team, and the 1958 Baltimore Colts team..........
C-O-L-T-S, COLTS!
Fred Tepper

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

The 1958 game between the BALTIMORE Colts and the N.Y. Giants was from an impact point of view the greatest game ever played. It changed the face of the NFL forever. Arguably there may have been more exciting games since but none made the impact that game did. TV was in its infacy. I was watching it, enthralled as Steve Myra prepared for his tieing field goal that would send the game into overtime. Then, for some unknown reason, the transmission malfunctioned and I lost the picture. I panicked, looking for the radio and plugged in the toaster instead When I did get the picture back, Myra had tied the game and sent the game into the first overtime ever played The rest is Baltimore and N.Y history. .
Rich

Marion, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Fred Tepper wrote:
The 1958 game between the BALTIMORE Colts and the N.Y. Giants was from an impact point of view the greatest game ever played. It changed the face of the NFL forever. Arguably there may have been more exciting games since but none made the impact that game did. TV was in its infacy. I was watching it, enthralled as Steve Myra prepared for his tieing field goal that would send the game into overtime. Then, for some unknown reason, the transmission malfunctioned and I lost the picture. I panicked, looking for the radio and plugged in the toaster instead When I did get the picture back, Myra had tied the game and sent the game into the first overtime ever played The rest is Baltimore and N.Y history..
Steve Myra? You must be getting old.
spy

Finksburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Nice article , but please don't compare Marchetti to Suggs..........one more thing , it was tough listening to the Indy colts who are impostors to Colt heritage........
Jeff Davis

Glen Burnie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

The analists breaking down the game showed how the Referees cheated and wanted the Giants to win. Oops. Baltimore wins!
Brian Sims

Brookeville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

ESPN is trying its hand at revisionist history. The special was an utter disgrace since it intermingled Baltimore's NFL history with Indianapolis's history. If Unitas was still alive none of his teammates would have participated in the program if it included current Indy players. By the way there is no such thing as a Colts fan. You are either a Baltimore Colts fan or an Indianapolis fan. 99.99% of Baltimore Colts fans are now Baltimore Raven fans. Teams take the character of the cities they represent.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Orioles Fan From New York wrote:
I've been a COLTS FAN since 1971, and I am STILL a COLTS FAN. From Johnny Unitas and Bert Jones to Gary Hogeboom, Jim Harbaugh, and Peyton Manning. It was a GREAT SHOW, baby! They had current Indianapolis Colts players and coaches. Even the former Baltimore Colts players, such as Raymond Berry, recognized The Indianapolis Colts as a continuation of The Baltimore Colts franchise. TONY DUNGY said that there is a definite bond between this current Indianapolis Colts team, and the 1958 Baltimore Colts team..........
C-O-L-T-S, COLTS!
If I were a BALTIMORE Colt fan, that would have made me sick (the ESPN telecast last night). As a Johnny U fan and admirer, it did...I puked!
John D

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Orioles Fan From New York wrote:
C-O-L-T-S, COLTS!
Having INDY players on the show was an ABOMINATION!!! TAKE YOUR IRSAYS AND SHOVE IT. SCREW YOU AND THAT GD CITY!!
dwade

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

My father went to the game with several friends. As he told me later they had taken the train back to Baltimore and then where driving home to western maryland through Middletown when a trooper stopped them and inquired what drunken convention did you come from? Mr. Smith spoke up "Ossifer I'm the only drunk here the ressst ov them are sellebrsating the greatest game ever played. The trooper let them go home
Lorne

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

I agree with all the fans who were angry that Indy players were on the program. They have nothing to do with the BALTIMORE Colts! They should've had Ravens players on there instead.
I love ESPN, but they just don't get it.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

ESPN doesn't get it all.
fender

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2008

I thought it sucked too. Not only because of all the Indy and Peyton Manning comparison BS which, by the way, serious BS. But, because, I just wanted to watch the game. Not a bunch of people talking the whole time. What does a person have to do to just watch the game? If you added it all up, there might have been 10 min (and that's generous) of the game shown.
fender

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2008

Not to show disrespect to the BALTIMORE Colts. I liked hearing their commentary, but there was just not enough of the game.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Baltimore News, Events & Info