Toyota indefinitely delays Blue Sprin...

Toyota indefinitely delays Blue Springs, Miss., Prius plant ami...

There are 10 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 15, 2008, titled Toyota indefinitely delays Blue Springs, Miss., Prius plant ami.... In it, Newsday reports that:

Toyota Motor Corp. says it will delay opening its new plant in Blue Springs , Miss., indefinitely as it copes with the downturn in the auto industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

liner

Hicksville, NY

#1 Dec 15, 2008
I'm surprised. I thought the Prius was a hot seller. If I were in the market for a new car (I'm not) I'd consider one. I don't believe the price of gas is going to stay low for very long.
Tim

Booneville, MS

#2 Dec 15, 2008
North Ms. was depending on Toyota to rescue the workers of this area.Now they don't have much hope.Approx.1500 furniture jobs sent to China this year from north MS.And more to follow.Also Cooper Tire may close later next year.That would be an additional 1400-1500 jobs gone.I sure hope our elected officials can help us.
Ken

Northbrook, IL

#3 Dec 17, 2008
Everybody loves to dump on the big 3 (2-and-a-half?), but I guess the mighty Toyota's crystal ball isn't working too well either these days.

A two-thirds earnings decline in one year!? If this were happening to GM, Ford or Chrysler, the pundits would be crowing about how sloppily-managed they were and measuring for caskets. But it's golden boy Toyota, so hands-off.

But fear not, Toyota owners. No matter how bad things get for the King of Camrys, the Japanese government will prop it up. Bailouts, low-interest loans, whatever it takes. No questions asked and without any grandstanding speeches from the National Diet. And NO non-Japanese ownership, even if a foreign car company ponied up the money to buy. "Free Market", indeed;-)
PATRIOT300

Sterling Heights, MI

#4 Dec 17, 2008
The prius will be a dinosour when the Chevy volt come out.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#5 Dec 17, 2008
PATRIOT300 wrote:
The prius will be a dinosour when the Chevy volt come out.
LOL! According to GM, the MSRP of the Volt, assuming it's ever built, will be $41,000.00. Oh yeah, I can see everyone lining up to buy one of those! And then after you've driven it all of 40 miles, you get to limp home on the lawnmower engine in order to charge it for 8 hours so you can go another 40 miles. And you wonder why GM's going Ch11?
liner

Hicksville, NY

#6 Dec 17, 2008
Ken wrote:
Everybody loves to dump on the big 3 (2-and-a-half?), but I guess the mighty Toyota's crystal ball isn't working too well either these days.
A two-thirds earnings decline in one year!? If this were happening to GM, Ford or Chrysler, the pundits would be crowing about how sloppily-managed they were and measuring for caskets. But it's golden boy Toyota, so hands-off.
But fear not, Toyota owners. No matter how bad things get for the King of Camrys, the Japanese government will prop it up. Bailouts, low-interest loans, whatever it takes. No questions asked and without any grandstanding speeches from the National Diet. And NO non-Japanese ownership, even if a foreign car company ponied up the money to buy. "Free Market", indeed;-)
You're not reading your own post. A two thirds earning decline means a one third earning's still left. GM, Ford and Chrysler have NO earnings and they're dropping from that. That's why they're down in DC with their hands out. The Japanese car industry have beat us at our own game.
Mother Muckraker

United States

#7 May 26, 2013
Toyota never had any intention of building the Prius at Blue Springs. The plant was built to replace NUMMI which they planned on closing and get rid of their only union plant. The "Prius" thing was just misdirection. Toyota knew of Mississippi's economic situation and took advantage of people desperate for jobs.

Toyota had $39 billion when they decided to close NUMMI

NUMMI workers got paid $28/hr plus health, 401k, pension, etc. Permanent at 3 months. Top pay at 3 yrs. You can't get fired without recourse. All that was possible with a union contract. How are you doing at TMMMS? Do they tell you lies about how expensive are union dues?
liner

Patchogue, NY

#8 May 27, 2013
Mother Muckraker wrote:
Toyota never had any intention of building the Prius at Blue Springs. The plant was built to replace NUMMI which they planned on closing and get rid of their only union plant. The "Prius" thing was just misdirection. Toyota knew of Mississippi's economic situation and took advantage of people desperate for jobs.
Toyota had $39 billion when they decided to close NUMMI
NUMMI workers got paid $28/hr plus health, 401k, pension, etc. Permanent at 3 months. Top pay at 3 yrs. You can't get fired without recourse. All that was possible with a union contract. How are you doing at TMMMS? Do they tell you lies about how expensive are union dues?
"NUMMI workers got paid $28/hr plus health, 401k, pension, etc. Permanent at 3 months. Top pay at 3 yrs. You can't get fired without recourse."

And where are they now? Apparently, businesses can't sustain that, can they?
bill

Duluth, GA

#9 Jul 26, 2013
Love my career choice... Ill be at blue springs til I retire! Pay is better than any other job around here even if it isn't $28/hour! O yea.. Roll tide roll
TMMC worker

Guelph, Canada

#10 Apr 15, 2015
We aren't Unionized in Canada and I make $28(us)/ hr working for Toyota. They make $27.21/ hr in Kentucky and just got $6,300 bonuses for the last 6 months. The difference is we do have big Union drives going on. They pay to keep the Unions out just as much as the Union shops. Even though I think we will be Unionized one day. It has nothing to do with cost but control. Because they obviously don't mind paying us the same as Unions are paid.

http://mytmmc.com/forum/viewtopic.php...
http://mytmmc.com/forum/viewtopic.php...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,265,128
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Truth is might 310,384
White men today 17 hr Tellitlikeitis 13
News Thousands storm Baltimore streets in protest ca... Tue El Chapo 642
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Oh well 20,085
Black on black crime Mon Meesau Hawney 18
Stand By Police Should Disqualify Baltimore for... Mon Culture Auditor 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages