Kiss it goodbye

There are 209 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 5, 2007, titled Kiss it goodbye. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

I'll be the first to admit that when I first saw the coach's puckered lips, I laughed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
jimmy swift

Belcamp, MD

#1 Dec 5, 2007
When the season started i thought The Ravens would not go far n the playoffs ( but i didn't see this coming) because they are generally undisiplined , unprepared and poorly coached . The demonstrating and posing after a play is embarresing.
Glenn

Arlington, VA

#2 Dec 5, 2007
Well put and I'm afraid your analysis leads to only one conclusion: to change this culture, the coach must go. He's already been taken to the woodshed for a come-to-Jesus talk (end of 2005) and though that apparently worked last year, he's reverted to his traditional behavior. And as you say, it's the actions that speak loudest.
Chi Chi

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#3 Dec 5, 2007
I guess all the Sun writers and go together and decided they'd trash the team and their coach in Wednesdays paper. Funny that outside of Baltimore, there was a lot of national analysis about the questionable officiating, the Ravens "mandhandling" of the Pats defense and the inspired play of Lewis, Reed and McGahee in the wake of Sean Taylors funeral. But in Baltimore, we get a story and two columns about how the play-calling sucked and how undisciplined our team is. Guess when you observe games from heated press boxes you tend to be removed from the emotion and passion that's going on on the field.
do you watch the game

Greensboro, NC

#4 Dec 5, 2007
Rick, do you actually watch the game? You are going to say something about Cmac blowing a coverage? He held the leagues best reciever in check almost every play so you are an idiot for signaling him out. You have a problem with Willis flexing his muscles? What did he do on that drive and td run? Thats right, he ran over everybody! And as far as Adalius comments go, do you and him forget that the Ravens always finish at the top of the league in D? Despite the injuries this year they are not too bad. You are a writer in Baltimore and for the first time in weeks/months the team (THE WHOLE TEAM) did us proud in Baltimore. But your that much of a tool that you can't write about how great they were on Monday night, you have to find ways to put them down. Do me a favor, either go to another city or only cover sports like high school volleyball, I'm sure you will find only the classiest people that you love to cover in those places. Seriously you are a discrace to the hometown paper!
Jeff

Port Tobacco, MD

#5 Dec 5, 2007
Amazingly, Suggs has shown great restraint recently.
A Fan

Redwood City, CA

#6 Dec 5, 2007
"A disciplined Ravens team wins Monday's game and hands the Patriots their first loss of the season."

I agree. I'm really disappointed in the Ravens. Too much negative motivation. Too much complaining that things didn't go their way. And when you throw a yellow flag into the stands, it doesn't provide much incentive to overturn a close call on review.

If you want to be bad boys in football, then maybe it's appropriate that you end up with a record like the Raiders. But if the Ravens were as composed as the Patriots, I definitely see them as a Super Bowl team.
Realist

United States

#7 Dec 5, 2007
Hey if the refs followed the rule book and don't allow the timeout?
Game over=Ravens win.

The rest of your column is BS.
Chip

Owings Mills, MD

#8 Dec 5, 2007
Oh, good. Well at least we have it all cleared up now. The Ravens actually lost the game on Monday night - and most of the other games this season - because Billick blew kisses on national TV. And here I thought the disappointing year was caused by the rash of injuries, age of the team (which leads to some of those injuries), poor quarterback play, etc. Silly me.

Hey, Rick, I'm pretty sure I saw Billick cursing after one play on the sideline, are you going to take him to task for that, too. We can't have the head coach getting caught up in the moment - any moment - and showing any type of emotion, now can we???

You may think that the image of Billick blowing kisses is the most important image from Monday's game. But the only thing I (and football fans around the country) will remember is the Ravens going toe-to-toe with the best team in the league for 60 minutes.

Yes, they didn't win, but I don't think that diminishes the accomplishments of everyone involved in that performance, from the head coach on down.

That game was hardly what anyone expected. After the disappointment and frustration of this season, many expected the Ravens to lay down and the Patriots to roll right over them. The fact that the Ravens came out ready to play, with a game plan that took advantage of the Patriots' weaknesses (when many people thought they had none), is a much better indication of Brian Billick's value as a head coach.

Of course, we can't be writing about that in the Baltimore Sun. That kind of stuff is not what gets one's column read, now is it?

“Displaced Raven Fan”

Since: Sep 07

Silver Spring,Md

#9 Dec 5, 2007
13 penalties for 100 yards does'nt win games no matter who you are.
HeWhoCannotBeNam ed

Völklingen, Germany

#10 Dec 5, 2007
If that had been ref Triplett sayin that crap to Zeus instead of tossing a flag in his eye he woulda been mincemeat, and frankly, fine with me. Call a game or get the heck off my field.
Muser

Plainville, CT

#11 Dec 5, 2007
Well written, however, lost in all of the theatrics
is this: Brian Billick came up with an outstanding
game plan that ought to have worked. There is a
fine line between playing with emotion and letting
your emotion play with you. This is the battle that
the Ravens lost that cost them this war.
Macadamia

Tampa, FL

#12 Dec 5, 2007
I see my original comments weren't posted, so I'll just say Chi Chi got it right with his post. Sun Spot writers continually rip the Ravens while everyone else with a freaking clue around the world KNOWS the Pats are receiving favorable treatment.
HeWhoCannotBeNam ed

Völklingen, Germany

#13 Dec 5, 2007
Chi Chi wrote:
I guess all the Sun writers and go together and decided they'd trash the team and their coach in Wednesdays paper. Funny that outside of Baltimore, there was a lot of national analysis about the questionable officiating, the Ravens "mandhandling" of the Pats defense and the inspired play of Lewis, Reed and McGahee in the wake of Sean Taylors funeral. But in Baltimore, we get a story and two columns about how the play-calling sucked and how undisciplined our team is. Guess when you observe games from heated press boxes you tend to be removed from the emotion and passion that's going on on the field.
Yea really.
I guess Mike Preston´s bit (which I liked a lot) was enough. ;-)

It sounds a bit like Maese expects press box comfort levelheadedness from a fighter all heart processing the realization that he and his team are losing the battle of the season due to race.
Jeez, Rick ! You set the bar a tad too high this time.
Randy

New Baltimore, MI

#14 Dec 5, 2007
Don't you get what's going on here? Negative columns get more comments than positive ones. It's a calculated business move by the Sun.

Comments = readers = adverstising.

Get it?

If it bleeds it leads.

What a headline...

Athlete Lacks Disipline!

Stop the presses!
Tyrone - a black guy

Granger, WA

#15 Dec 5, 2007
"But Rolle's accusations that one official repeatedly called him "boy" should have made some ears perk up in NFL offices.

Apparently, this was the spark that ignited Scott's fuse. Scott's behavior was indefensible, but if what he and Rolle are charging proves to be true, his actions are at least a bit understandable. There's no place for such racially charged language at a football game, especially coming from someone responsible for enforcing rules and maintaining order"

Um calling a guy "boy" is worthy of throwing a hissy fit and is considered racial? Are you joking me.
patsfan111111

Summerfield, FL

#16 Dec 5, 2007
A Fan wrote:
"A disciplined Ravens team wins Monday's game and hands the Patriots their first loss of the season."
I agree. I'm really disappointed in the Ravens. Too much negative motivation. Too much complaining that things didn't go their way. And when you throw a yellow flag into the stands, it doesn't provide much incentive to overturn a close call on review.
If you want to be bad boys in football, then maybe it's appropriate that you end up with a record like the Raiders. But if the Ravens were as composed as the Patriots, I definitely see them as a Super Bowl team.
i agree but maybe not a superbowl team. they had their chance last year and couldnt get it done. i dont think it was lack of discipline, just not enough offense but they would be a great contender without their immaturity on defense.
Chuck

Falls Church, VA

#17 Dec 5, 2007
If the head coach acts like a child the rets of the team will act like children. The coach sets the rules and behavior of the team and the results are clearly seen. Billick acting like a schoolyard six year old; the Ravens players complaining and whining like six year olds. Rick got this column right! Enjoy your little boy head coach and his little boy offense Bmore! LOL! You can go in a corner and suck your thumbs and maybe it will all disappear.
Mike Taliaferro

Tampa, FL

#18 Dec 5, 2007
Chi Chi, perhaps you didn't watch the Pats-Indy game, in which the refs stuck it to New England with mystery interference calls etc. Or perhaps you were on a deserted island when the commissioner fined NE coach Belichick $500K and the team $250K in week 1. Or perhaps your daddy didn't teach you that grown-up men take accountability for their own actions and don't blame others when things don't work out the way they want. The Ravens played a great game for about 48 minutes. But there are 60 minutes in a regulation NFL game. Clearly the Ravens have some talented individuals on their squad. They can not win in this league with their current HC and the owner was dumb enough to extend him. If he was a man, he'd eat the money and give the fan s in B-more a coach that will clean house and not treat an NFL team like "The U". enjoy the playoff action this year. I will.
This writer nails it

Taunton, MA

#19 Dec 5, 2007
What alot of you people dont understand is this. The Ravens had EVERY opportunity to pull out the biggest upset of the year.

Instead, we get a glimpse of a bunch of grown men acting like children.

Simply watch the game film and try to still make those claims that the ref's are out to get them. Ridiculous.

McGahee looked like an ass everytime he flexed after a big run.

You coach looked like a larger ass by blowing kisses to an opposing player.

Your team has no dicipline whatsoever. Thats the point he is trying to get across to alot of you. Take off your blinders people.
kevin

Parkville, MD

#20 Dec 5, 2007
Right on the money. Billick has never respected the game or others. He is persistent whiner about refs, though devious enough to avoid fines. Ravens are undisciplined by his example. And didn't "courageous" Rolle try to break opponent's neck with blatant face-mask tugging?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Aquarius-WY 1,579,681
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 min Junket 316,288
Baltimore MD City Council to Destroy Confederat... 3 hr Jeremy is GOD 13
Baltimore Cowards 4 hr Jeremy is GOD 2
Word for TODAY is "JOB" to all you lazy N(EYE)G... Wed Jeremy 1
Mace Electric's Dick Colon raped an 11-year-old... (Jun '13) Tue Jeremy 73
Capital sex offender free in Baltimore. (May '15) Aug 14 Theodore 42

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance