Bikers lose an advantage - Hawaii Business

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

In decades past, motorcycle parking was free in many public and private parking garages, but those spots are becoming rare.
Comments
1 - 20 of 65 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
hcmc2007

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Handicapped motorcycle riders are also eligible for the "handicapped" license plate and are permitted to park in the designated stalls.
They must apply for the special license plate just as any other handicapped person.
Yes We Cant

Hayes, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Good about time they had to pay up. And better not have them park in marked stalls unless it is 4 to a stall.
Windward side

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

If I have to pay, I'm taking the whole stall. If I don't have to pay, I find an available nook and stay out of the way. I think it's ridiculous that motorcycles have to pay, especially at he Honolulu Airport where we took no stalls.
Ridiculous

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I've been ticketed for parking my motorbike between two parked cars when there was clearly enough room for the cars and more bikes. In most areas, bikes can park in areas where there is not room for a car so they don't take up any paid spots. Parking is bad enough to have these idiotic rules. When I dirve my car, the last thing I want to see is a full parking spot taken by a motorbike that could have parked in between two cars.
Anon - Cary Resident

Chapel Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Yes We Cant wrote:
Good about time they had to pay up. And better not have them park in marked stalls unless it is 4 to a stall.
Id-iot.
Rob S

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Yes We Cant wrote:
Good about time they had to pay up. And better not have them park in marked stalls unless it is 4 to a stall.
Hawaii Statue says 3 motorcycles per stall, not 4.

Maybe you should learn a bit about the topic in discussion before opening your mouth?

As an avid Motorcyclist, I have no problem paying for a stall, provided I have the entire stall to myself. The rates are the same for visitor parking for a motorcycle versus a car. We pay registration and insurance just like 4 wheeled vehicles do.
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If I pay, I take the entire stall. Bikers are saving car drivers space simply by riding them. We're saving gas, and relieving the traffic load. Now the greed sets in, and the car drivers don't like the fact that we can fit in where they can't. So fight back, bikers. We don't have to put three to a stall.
litt

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ha-ha!

When I park my bike I take up the ENTIRE stall and woe to whoever I catch messing with it.

I also make sure to park my bike closest to the beginning of the stall to make sure cars can see my bike as they drive past, and so they don't "whip" into the stall and crash into it.



Don't mess with my bike-- you might regret it.
litt

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 8, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Don't mess with someone's motorcycle, because you never know who the owner is or what they do for a living.

zoinks

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Meh, most motorcycle riders are obnoxious idiots. It's about time they cough up the cash to park their noise-making machines.

It's funny how the idiot riders always claim their ride is more fuel efficient than a car. Funny, because my hybrid AUTOMOBILE, which is 4-8 times the weight of a motorcycle actually consumes LESS fuel than MOST motorcycles. And I can haul goods and more than 2 humans on it. I'm protected from the elements, other idiot drivers/riders and I don't have to disturb the peace and quiet with an exhaust system designed entirely around men with small penises.
TB and Coco

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

zoinks wrote:
Meh, most motorcycle riders are obnoxious idiots. It's about time they cough up the cash to park their noise-making machines.
It's funny how the idiot riders always claim their ride is more fuel efficient than a car. Funny, because my hybrid AUTOMOBILE, which is 4-8 times the weight of a motorcycle actually consumes LESS fuel than MOST motorcycles. And I can haul goods and more than 2 humans on it. I'm protected from the elements, other idiot drivers/riders and I don't have to disturb the peace and quiet with an exhaust system designed entirely around men with small penises.
Jeeze...you were doing O.K. until mentioning the size of your private parts...keep it clean will you. In addition, please don't generalize about those who ride motorcycles (MC).

Per your rant:

1. My wife and I drive both autos and ride scooters (which are classified as a motorcycle) in a responsible manner. We've gone thru the Motorcycle Safey Foundation class...there should really be one for all "cagers" too (cagers that's what MC'er's call those who are drivers of automobiles. I prefer to use "cager" by my own definition...one dimensional and/or ignorant behind the wheel of an automobile.

2. Both scooters registered and insured...now how many uninsured automobiles are there on our roads?...another blog another time.

3. They are not modified in any way to be mistaken for the a 747 reving up for take off. BTW...did you know that some of those MC's are loud for a reason...they want to be loud so the cager who's yaking away and not paying attention knows that they are in their blind spot, because the cager will probably not check their blind spot when they slide into the MC lane...this happens quite often. Personally, I don't subscribe to having a loud scooter or MC...I have a "big" air horn modification that I do not hesitate in using.

Drive safely / respectfully and share the road.
zoinks

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Thank you for your comments, tuberculosis. Next time ask the little hamster in your head to slow down when you read posts made by others. Notice how I said "most" motorcyclists? This would mean that a majority, BUT NOT ALL, motorcyclists are idiots.

I used to ride a HELIX until I was 1" from losing my life to an idiot SUV driver. But instead of selling my quiet bike (and as you say, inherently DANGEROUS bike because it's quiet) and buying a noise machine so I can scare the hell out of everyone I pass by, wake up resting children and elderly people, increase anxiety, stress and noise pollution, I bought a compact car that was just as efficient and actually CHEAPER to own because of reduced insurance costs.

But it's clear that you are one of those idiots... that actually believe LOUD BIKES SAVE LIVES. And if you're not an idiot you are nothing more than a selfish SOB. If you need to piss off society by making your bike loud - BUY A FREAKING CAR so you don't have to worry about the "cager" people running you down. Idiots.
fred is the man

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

zoinks wrote:
Thank you for your comments, tuberculosis. Next time ask the little hamster in your head to slow down when you read posts made by others. Notice how I said "most" motorcyclists? This would mean that a majority, BUT NOT ALL, motorcyclists are idiots.
I used to ride a HELIX until I was 1" from losing my life to an idiot SUV driver. But instead of selling my quiet bike (and as you say, inherently DANGEROUS bike because it's quiet) and buying a noise machine so I can scare the hell out of everyone I pass by, wake up resting children and elderly people, increase anxiety, stress and noise pollution, I bought a compact car that was just as efficient and actually CHEAPER to own because of reduced insurance costs.
But it's clear that you are one of those idiots... that actually believe LOUD BIKES SAVE LIVES. And if you're not an idiot you are nothing more than a selfish SOB. If you need to piss off society by making your bike loud - BUY A FREAKING CAR so you don't have to worry about the "cager" people running you down. Idiots.
I own a Harley and I think you are an idiot. One of the rights Americans have is to make as much noise as we want. You don't like it then buy some earplugs or move to the top of a hill in the country somewhere. As long as I ride my bike it's going to make as much noise as necessary to make sure everyone around me is aware of my existence. Get a life loser.
Yes We Cant

Hayes, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 9, 2009
 
I love motorcycles, especially with no helmet law, just make sure your donor cards are all signed.
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

A Harley or a Prius? May as well ask boxers or panties.
Sparkymonks

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

litt wrote:
Don't mess with someone's motorcycle, because you never know who the owner is or what they do for a living.
THANK YOU! You took the words right out of my mouth.
Sparkymonks

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

fred is the man wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a Harley and I think you are an idiot. One of the rights Americans have is to make as much noise as we want. You don't like it then buy some earplugs or move to the top of a hill in the country somewhere. As long as I ride my bike it's going to make as much noise as necessary to make sure everyone around me is aware of my existence. Get a life loser.
Fred, you are the man!!!! Be safe out here and ride hard.
Sparkymonks

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

zoinks wrote:
Thank you for your comments, tuberculosis. Next time ask the little hamster in your head to slow down when you read posts made by others. Notice how I said "most" motorcyclists? This would mean that a majority, BUT NOT ALL, motorcyclists are idiots.
I used to ride a HELIX until I was 1" from losing my life to an idiot SUV driver. But instead of selling my quiet bike (and as you say, inherently DANGEROUS bike because it's quiet) and buying a noise machine so I can scare the hell out of everyone I pass by, wake up resting children and elderly people, increase anxiety, stress and noise pollution, I bought a compact car that was just as efficient and actually CHEAPER to own because of reduced insurance costs.
But it's clear that you are one of those idiots... that actually believe LOUD BIKES SAVE LIVES. And if you're not an idiot you are nothing more than a selfish SOB. If you need to **** off society by making your bike loud - BUY A FREAKING CAR so you don't have to worry about the "cager" people running you down. Idiots.
Walk to the nearest mirror and repeat to yourself the word "idiot".

“Starts right above my shoulder”

Since: Aug 08

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

zoinks wrote:
Thank you for your comments, tuberculosis. Next time ask the little hamster in your head to slow down when you read posts made by others. Notice how I said "most" motorcyclists? This would mean that a majority, BUT NOT ALL, motorcyclists are idiots.
I used to ride a HELIX until I was 1" from losing my life to an idiot SUV driver. But instead of selling my quiet bike (and as you say, inherently DANGEROUS bike because it's quiet) and buying a noise machine so I can scare the hell out of everyone I pass by, wake up resting children and elderly people, increase anxiety, stress and noise pollution, I bought a compact car that was just as efficient and actually CHEAPER to own because of reduced insurance costs.
But it's clear that you are one of those idiots... that actually believe LOUD BIKES SAVE LIVES. And if you're not an idiot you are nothing more than a selfish SOB. If you need to **** off society by making your bike loud - BUY A FREAKING CAR so you don't have to worry about the "cager" people running you down. Idiots.
Awww.... poor Zoinks got her panties in a wad!! I'm assuming you are a female, cuz everyone knows that the Honda Helix is a chick ride... Grow a pair and try riding a REAL bike...
Doh

Waimea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 9, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

1

fred is the man wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a Harley and I think you are an idiot. One of the rights Americans have is to make as much noise as we want. You don't like it then buy some earplugs or move to the top of a hill in the country somewhere. As long as I ride my bike it's going to make as much noise as necessary to make sure everyone around me is aware of my existence. Get a life loser.
Dead wrong, obviously. When "making as much noise as we want" conflicts with other's right to a reasonable amount of peace and quiet, then the latter prevails - as evidenced by existing noise laws (even if they're not enforced to most people's satisfaction).

With your logic, we should all drive around with sirens on our cars, or holding the horn down. If you're typical of most of the Hells Angels wannabes I see on the road every weekend, then you're the one who should get a life. A bunch of fat, over-the-hill retards who drive around aimlessly from lookout to lookout, imagining that people are oohing and aahing at them and their silly little toys. In fact, people are staring at them and thinking, "look at these ridiculous losers!" In your 50s and 60s, still thinking you're 20. Mental age, 10.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yamaha Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yamaha to launch new CBU bike during Auto Expo (Dec '09) Nov '10 sarvesh phougat 5
New Yamaha Fazer8 revealed (Feb '10) Jul '10 Tabaco 3
Yamaha FZ8: Set to be a Unique Naked (Dec '09) Dec '09 major tom 1
Bikers lose an advantage - Business News (Aug '09) Aug '09 TB and Coco 1
Vroomers and shakers (Jul '09) Jul '09 rahul 1
2005 Harley-Davidson Road King Custom And More ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Love ride 4
2009 Yamaha FZ6R Review (Feb '09) Jun '09 John 3

Buy a New Car


Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Yamaha People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••