Yamaha XVS 650 starting problem

Posted in the Yamaha Xvs650 Forum

James

Ireland

#1 Jun 14, 2009
I have a Yamaha XVS 650 Classic (registered in 2000). It had been running perfectly and recently serviced. After about a month in the garage with bad weather, I charged up the battery which had run down, and tried to start it. On pressing the starter button I got only a repeating ticking noise and nothing else - the engine wouldn't even try to turn over. I have never come across a problem with starting it before, apart from a dead battery. Can anyone advise?
Den

Guelph, Canada

#2 Aug 1, 2013
James wrote:
I have a Yamaha XVS 650 Classic (registered in 2000). It had been running perfectly and recently serviced. After about a month in the garage with bad weather, I charged up the battery which had run down, and tried to start it. On pressing the starter button I got only a repeating ticking noise and nothing else - the engine wouldn't even try to turn over. I have never come across a problem with starting it before, apart from a dead battery. Can anyone advise?
aug 2013 I have had the same problem. the spring in the starter isn't activating.
Den

Guelph, Canada

#3 Aug 1, 2013
Aug 21 2013 same problem suspect the spring but will try tomorrow,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yamaha Xvs650 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yamaha XVS650 jumping out of gears (Feb '14) Feb '14 Peter 1
hesitation (Nov '12) Nov '12 james t 1
Please need Petrol/gas tank! (Jun '12) Jun '12 Adrian from Tas 1
i want to upgrade front brake on a yamaha xvs65... (Jun '12) Jun '12 linas 1
Speedo accuracy (Dec '11) Dec '11 Terry 1
Smash Repairs (May '11) May '11 Mick 1
'03 xvs650a (Jul '10) Jul '10 Jdafixa 1
More from around the web