Volvo XC90 DVD player
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jennifer

Knightdale, NC

#1 Feb 13, 2007
We have a 2005 XC90 that we bought new and have only had it about 6 months. One minute the DVD player is working and now it isn't. I won't work with or without the remote. Unless, I just don't know how to work it without the remote. And, yes, I did change the batteries. Of course there is a rental in it and we can't remove it. Has anyone else had the same problem? And, what did you have to do to get it working?
erkmom

AOL

#2 Mar 10, 2007
Yes, we've had similar problems in our 2004 XC90. The screen also seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes dropping down and back up all on its own. Basically, no problems during the first year, and since then the DVD has been repaired/replaced 4 times.
Kris

Ambler, PA

#3 Sep 19, 2007
I have a 2007 XC90 and the DVD is mounted on the center console. When you open the console, the DVD cabling gets pulled. My DVD player just stopped working one day. I can turn it on but it loses power after a second or two. I am skeptically awaiting a replacement player but fear that the problem is location of the player and stress the cabling undergoes when the console is opened. Has anyone experienced this issue?

“Are You Kiddin Me?”

Since: Jan 07

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

#4 Sep 26, 2007
Most of the Volvo DVD systems in the US where the DVD player is in the center console can only be turned on with the remote. The power button on the DVD deck is nonfunctional. I have seen a few faulty remotes. I've only had one vehicle the had a real problem with the DVD system itself and it was a faulty LCD screen.
For the person who has the 2007, Volvo has released a new DVD system where the DVD player deck is inside of the headrest built into the screen. Now both headrest have their own DVD players.
The new system is very nice and simple to use. I'm pretty sure it can be installed on earlier models as well due to the fact that each headrest is a self-contained DVD system. The only wires that hook up to the vehicle are the power wires.
Howard Timms

West Molesey, UK

#5 Jul 3, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
We have a 2005 XC90 that we bought new and have only had it about 6 months. One minute the DVD player is working and now it isn't. I won't work with or without the remote. Unless, I just don't know how to work it without the remote. And, yes, I did change the batteries. Of course there is a rental in it and we can't remove it. Has anyone else had the same problem? And, what did you have to do to get it working?

We have a similar problem but don't know how to fix it. Did you resolve matters in the end? If so how?
Howard Timms

West Molesey, UK

#6 Jul 3, 2008
We have a similar problem with our XC90 which is very frustrating but don't know how to fix it. Did you resolve matters in the end? If so how?
Jen

Clearwater, FL

#7 Aug 2, 2008
We have the same problem - our xc90 is still under warranty, so we've taken it back to the dealership twice and about to go back for the third time. the big problem is that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... but one after i picked it up, it doesn't work again and i'm very frustrated because we chose this specific model ONLY because of the dvd player! we could've saved money and gone without - but how do you explain to a toddler that sits and stares at the monitor in the headrest that they can't watch it... ugh - anyone know what to do???
jenny___

Ireland

#8 Sep 6, 2008
i brought a 2006 volvo xc90 1 wk ago,and just cant get the so called brillent dvd player to work in it ..........i dont even know where you incert the dvd in the car......i have given hours of my valueable time on this bloomin thing......UGH !!!-ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO???
Bud

San Diego, CA

#9 Oct 13, 2008
jenny___ wrote:
i brought a 2006 volvo xc90 1 wk ago,and just cant get the so called brillent dvd player to work in it ..........i dont even know where you incert the dvd in the car......i have given hours of my valueable time on this bloomin thing......UGH !!!-ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO???
Have you tried reading the owners manual? If you don't know where to insert the DVD, you might want to read the instructions before blaming the player.
Joe

Huntington, NY

#10 Oct 27, 2008
I have a 2005 XC90 with the DVD in the center console. My player stopped workinga few weeks ago. I brought into the dealer and they claimed it was the amplifier and for 750 dollars they could put in a new one and then see if that works. I told them no and I went to a car audio store. After 1 day of work they indentified the problem as the cable in the arm rest cracked under the mesh covering in 2 places. The short the developed blew out a connection box ( not sure of the part number, but goes for over $400)This caused a failure in my amp for one speaker. I'm having the cable replaced and the power module. The store repaired my amp. There are no guarantees that this will work, but I'm into this now for $775. This was the first problem I've had in over 3 years with the system. I guess now I will not open my center console only in an emergency
STU

San Diego, CA

#11 Dec 3, 2008
jenny___ wrote:
If the DVD system is installed in the headrests look for a tab near the bottom of the screen...pull on the (towards you). This will bring the screen forward and you will be able to insert the DVD underneath the screen display. If there is no tab on the bottom of the screen then the DVD insert will be located on the center console (between the driver and the passenger seats). You will see a red, white and green plugs...near these plugs you will see the insert for the DVD. Hope this helps:)
Denise

Fredericton, Canada

#12 Jan 20, 2009
I cannot seem to figure out how to play the sound for the dvd in the main speakers it is only coming through the headset. I have a 2007 xc90. Can anyone help me out?
sha

Morganton, NC

#13 Jan 26, 2009
I just bought a 2004 XC90 and cannot seem to get the DVD Player to accept any DVD's. The power does come and says video 2 on the screen however it will not take in dvds. Help?
Tesha in minot

Minot, ND

#14 Feb 12, 2009
Denise wrote:
I cannot seem to figure out how to play the sound for the dvd in the main speakers it is only coming through the headset. I have a 2007 xc90. Can anyone help me out?
I can only get the sound thru the speakers and not thru the ear phones!! How did you get it thru the ear phone jacks-ours only plays the radio thru ear phones
Tesha in minot

Minot, ND

#15 Feb 12, 2009
our DVD only plays thru the surround sound?? We want it to play thru ear jacks!! Ear Jacks only play the radio?? Help
Jimmy

Milmay, NJ

#16 Mar 31, 2009
I can't figure out how to play my DVD through the radio. I don't have the headsets yet. So, how do I get it to play through the radio. Or get any sound from my DVD without the headsets.
Mamaontherun

Longwood, FL

#17 May 14, 2009
How much should I expect to pay for repair? My 04 xc90 dvd player isn't working, either--It's been stuck open since Dec and won't play. Any ideas?
Beth

Raleigh, NC

#18 Jun 22, 2009
Hi, I have a 2005 Volvo XC90. The DVD player will play a DVD but the arm that pulls the screen up and down is broken. Volvo basically does not know what to do except replace the whole unit for about $2,000. Or they would sell me a refurbished part for $1,000. Anyone had a similar problem or a work around? Thanks.
ajx

Maple Shade, NJ

#19 Jul 21, 2009
Beth wrote:
Hi, I have a 2005 Volvo XC90. The DVD player will play a DVD but the arm that pulls the screen up and down is broken. Volvo basically does not know what to do except replace the whole unit for about $2,000. Or they would sell me a refurbished part for $1,000. Anyone had a similar problem or a work around? Thanks.
Yes, I now have the same problem - the screen won't go up. Do not have an answer yet.
jtdchicago

United States

#20 Aug 26, 2009
need to replace users manual for dual headrest dvd player. anyone know where i can download?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volvo XC90 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vibration when accelerating (Dec '15) Dec '15 Andrew 2
2004 XC90 Radio Issues (discs will not eject) (Jan '07) Nov '15 KAYACE 1 99
News Set to replace the S80, the upcoming Volvo S90 ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 realist 1
Traction Control problems (Jan '09) Apr '15 bigfishk 27
News Volvo may expand export markets for China-built... (Jan '15) Jan '15 McGold 55
News Chinese-made Volvo to be China's first car expo... (Jan '15) Jan '15 RayH 1
News Volvo Cars says begins XC60 production in China (Nov '14) Nov '14 McQuan 2
More from around the web