New Beetle Electric Side Window Doesn...
Mike

Birmingham, AL

#61 Aug 20, 2009
Carrie wrote:
I'm sure this will not make you feel any better. I have a 2003 Beetle convertible. My rear driver's side window has been down and won't come back up for over 3 months. I am told it is a window regulator. It will cost $850 to repair. And the part has been on national backorder. I still have no part, no window, and when it does come in I will have the pleasure of spending a small fortune to fix it. I think we need to start asking for a recall!
Do not let your dealership order a regulator assembly. While the regulator is almost definitely the problem and and only comes as a window,regulator, motor assembly from VW(@$550.00) there is a regulator repair kit from VW also that lists at $77.00 (p/n is 1YO-898-292) According to the dealer I get my parts from even under warranty the fix was to put in a kit, not replace the entire assembly. You have to take the assembly out to put it in anyway and I have the 03 rear I'm working on out now. The charge to my customer including the part is about $250.00. If you want to do it yourself it is a pain to get out but once you get the inside trim off and unplug it the whole unit comes out in one piece. There are no instructions with the kit but if you study it carefully you can figure it out as I did the first time.
jamie robin

United States

#62 Sep 14, 2009
same problem as the first guy john sneed loud noise followed buy window not wanting to raise
this is a little rediculious vk needs to recall this
Julie

United States

#63 Sep 15, 2009
My rear windows in my 2005 Beetle Convertible have broken twice in 55,000 miles (and front window once). It is no longer under warranty and I cannot afford the $700 plus to fix it - I went with an $80 regulator kit and am trying to do it myself, but it's the stupidest thing ever! A recall would be fantastic as it is obviously a common problem.
James

Schertz, TX

#64 Sep 15, 2009
My Wifes 04 Beetle just had the same thing happen? Any know of any videos on how to fix it or at least get the back window up? Or any news on a recall or suit?
Mike

United States

#65 Sep 15, 2009
They'll never recall it because they'd have to replace them all. The regulator assembly is cheap junk. If you like the car, buy the kit or pay them to put it in.At flat rate it's about $250.00. I left a post 3 weeks ago with the part number for the repair kit VW p/n 1Y0-898-292. It is about $77.00(front kit should be similar)Takes about 3 hrs for do it your selfers. Short instructions are pull out back seat and take off interior trim, unplug motor and remove metal bracing over window assembly and pull out window assembly as unit.(Held in by 3 or 4 bolts)Replace cable assembly and re-install.One other thing, don't replace interior trim and rear seat until you put the top up and try it out as you may have to move it slightly so the anti-pinch feature doesn't kick in and put it back down every time you put it up. Don't forget to grease it while its out. You can tell where. Good luck!!
Corey G

Eastover, SC

#66 Oct 23, 2009
ScottManesis wrote:
It's not just a Beetle thing, it's a Volkswagen thing. I have a 2000 VR6 Jetta, drivers side window regulator failed. The window is inside the door and will not come up. The cost of the little piece of junk plastic clip is 331.48 plus two hours labor 210 at my local dealer. They had a free fix for it under an extended warranty on this part that had a sunset of 7 years........well I have a 2000 and now its 2008 you do the math! That should help you guys with newer models. 2003 is still covered as it is still under the 7 years, tell your dealers to look it up......it's not a recall it's an extended warranty.
Hey here is an alternative if your VW is out of warranty for any repairs here in Charlotte (all the guys that work there are from different VW Dealer Shops here in the area).... Eurowise.. They do a lot of modifing to VW's but they offer outside service as well. Their labor rates are way more reasonable about $65.00 per hour. Give them a call. They are a bunch of great guys and they won't try to pull the wool over your eyes like VW has tried several times with my wife. I won't say which one. Also on the window VW has extended their warranty for the Regulators up to 7 years or 100,000 miles. Unfortunately this you have to do at the VW Dealerships. Just an FYI
Corey G

Eastover, SC

#67 Oct 23, 2009
It's sad that you have to call them out on the warranty. I'm taking my wife's in on Monday to have it replaced. When I set up the appointment they (VW Dealership Repair Shop) tried not to say anything about it. I had to tell them that there was an extended warranty on the window regulator after he said that the warranty is up after 50,000 miles which I'm going to have to double check that number too. Anyway hopefully whoever reads this after this post will check into it further and it won't cost you if your still within that extended warranty period.
Mary Lou

Cantonment, FL

#68 Oct 28, 2009
Unfortunatly I have you all beat, I have 2005 VW convertible and every window but the windshield has had problems. The passenger window as of today, has shattered twice (just kind of blows up!). I had to replace the top because they cant repair the window if it falls out. I have HUGE stack of paper work on all the times I've had it in the shop for window problems. I am now looking for help with this!!!! I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!! They have had my car more than I have!!
Hank

Lothian, MD

#69 Jan 18, 2010
Same problem as almost everyone else with a rear window on a 2003 Beetle convertible that wouldn't go back up. The VW dealer wanted $600 to repair it. I complained loud and long to the dealer's general manager who admitted that VW had built the cars with cheap plastic clips that were bound to fail over time. When asked why they didn't do a recall when they discovered the recurring defects, he said "it isn't that big of a deal." I will never even contemplate buying a VW product again.
Ram

Wayne, IL

#70 Feb 9, 2010
My Wife drives a 2004 New Beetle convertible she ahs the same problem as most of you have. A stuck driver side rear window glass that will not come up or go down.For chicago weather that is unbearable. The VW dealer wanted $1150 for the repair.I am looking for help on how to get a recall from VW.
Khristina NC

White House, TN

#71 Mar 7, 2010
I am having some of a similiar problem with my 2002 VW Bettle. My driver side window did go up, but will not do anything now, along with my door lock, but only on my driver side. I am not paying another $800 to get this fixed, I believe I have put more money into this car for 'fix it stuff' that equals to more than I payed for the car!! I need advice and help of where to go to get this fixed without spending my life savings!
Danielle

Monterey, CA

#72 Mar 11, 2010
My rear windows have both been stuck inside my side panels since both regulators went out 5 minutes apart from each other! i can't afford the 1500 est. i wsa given by vw to fix both, so i am driving around with plexi glass in place of my windows. I am so upset about this, and soooo many people have this problem, or have that we need to do a class action law suit.

Upon more research I learned there was one, but it did not include convertible, so vw will not include us. VW SUCKS!!!
lorikay

Denver, CO

#73 Mar 19, 2010
Carrie wrote:
I'm sure this will not make you feel any better. I have a 2003 Beetle convertible. My rear driver's side window has been down and won't come back up for over 3 months. I am told it is a window regulator. It will cost $850 to repair. And the part has been on national backorder. I still have no part, no window, and when it does come in I will have the pleasure of spending a small fortune to fix it. I think we need to start asking for a recall!
I agree with you my 03 convertible rear windows went out within a week of each other last summer, I was quoted 450$ per motor plus labor. Now my driver s window wont go up. There should be a recall.
lorikay

Denver, CO

#74 Mar 23, 2010
well I now have three windows that don't work . same problem that you all are having, regulators. The two back windows went last summer and a week ago the driver's window went . I am on a limited budget and thought that the beetle would be right for me. What a joke !!!!!!!!!
Danielle

Monterey, CA

#75 Mar 23, 2010
lorikay wrote:
well I now have three windows that don't work . same problem that you all are having, regulators. The two back windows went last summer and a week ago the driver's window went . I am on a limited budget and thought that the beetle would be right for me. What a joke !!!!!!!!!
omg u poor thing! I feel ur pain!!!!!! I have also had mo back windows since last summer.
goldilocks

Hialeah, FL

#76 Mar 24, 2010
I am also having a window problem and was just wondering how to access the rear passenger window on the convertible. I can get someone to fix it cheap, If I can figure out how to get access to that window. Does the back seat have to come out to get the window panel out????
goldilocks

Hialeah, FL

#77 Mar 24, 2010
If someone knows how to get access to the rear window, I have a mechanic that can fix the windows for way less.
goldilocks

Hialeah, FL

#78 Mar 24, 2010
You can go on-line to after market parts. I think they are in Miami and purchase parts for less than half. The parts are probably made in China, but are way cheaper.
nicholas

San Felipe, Venezuela

#79 Mar 27, 2010
HEIDI wrote:
my passenger rear window is broken. they say i need a regulator and some type of lift to the price of 800 dollars. this part is on back order and my 2003 warrenty ended in july. ouch. also the air bag sensoris not working on passenger side.
is it posible to tell me were you got the part and the part number????
nicholas

San Felipe, Venezuela

#80 Mar 27, 2010
jamie robin wrote:
same problem as the first guy john sneed loud noise followed buy window not wanting to raise
this is a little rediculious vk needs to recall this
these coment is great please tell me were i can order these kit
there rear passeger window for the convertivel 2005

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volkswagen New Beetle* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Volkswagen Beetle Owners: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Jan 11 rdsbabygirl 509
Multi function display Nov '17 Baffled Barb 1
1999 vw beetle engine swap Oct '17 1999vwbeetlee 1
oil light Sep '17 mam0607 1
Replacement key (May '17) May '17 NewBugOwner05 1
Won't go into reverse (Jun '07) May '17 James 24
2013 vow beetle conv. (Mar '17) Mar '17 Leebob 1
More from around the web