Jetta - Timing Chain
Speed

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2007
When is it recommended that the timing chain be changed? I have a 1997 Jetta with just under 100,000 miles.
Terry

Houston, TX

#2 Dec 12, 2007
I thought is was between 60 and 80K miles
Speed

United States

#3 Dec 12, 2007
Terry wrote:
I thought is was between 60 and 80K miles
Any idea on the cost? It needs it, but I don't want to get ripped.

Thanks
chris

Portland, OR

#4 Dec 13, 2007
I did the timing belt myself a month ago and it was very simple. It took about an hour and a half. I removed the plastic cover on it and the belt was almost ready to break. 160000 miles. I wouldn't pay to have this done just take your time and get a book. Save yourself $400 at least.
chris

Portland, OR

#5 Dec 13, 2007
Better Idea!!!! Get rid of the jetta as soon as you can! I have a 96 and in the last year I have replaced the heater core (yesterday 7 1/2 hours), master cylinder, electric fan, water pump, timing belt, plastic part that connects water hoses to the engine block, oil cooler (fixed that with a gasket off an oil filter), breather hose on the front of the engine, I tore the throttle body apart and cleaned out the carbon build up, and now I have a speed sensor check engine light in combination with a speedomter that works every now and then. I am sure I am forgetting some of the things I have fixed and replaced but you get the point. The plastic parts are cheap and relatively easy to replace but damn, its one thing after another. So yours is a 97 get ready to fix all of these things next year cause apparently the plastic parts have a 10 year life span.
Speed

United States

#6 Dec 14, 2007
chris wrote:
Better Idea!!!! Get rid of the jetta as soon as you can! I have a 96 and in the last year I have replaced the heater core (yesterday 7 1/2 hours), master cylinder, electric fan, water pump, timing belt, plastic part that connects water hoses to the engine block, oil cooler (fixed that with a gasket off an oil filter), breather hose on the front of the engine, I tore the throttle body apart and cleaned out the carbon build up, and now I have a speed sensor check engine light in combination with a speedomter that works every now and then. I am sure I am forgetting some of the things I have fixed and replaced but you get the point. The plastic parts are cheap and relatively easy to replace but damn, its one thing after another. So yours is a 97 get ready to fix all of these things next year cause apparently the plastic parts have a 10 year life span.
I'll have to look into changing the timing belt myself. Hopefully, I can get 60,000 more miles out of the car before I have to deal with as much as you have. I'd love to move away from the Jetta, but it is running well and no car payment is a good thing.

Thanks for responding.
Speed

United States

#7 Dec 17, 2007
Speed wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to look into changing the timing belt myself. Hopefully, I can get 60,000 more miles out of the car before I have to deal with as much as you have. I'd love to move away from the Jetta, but it is running well and no car payment is a good thing.
Thanks for responding.
Any suggestions on a website or where to get a book to help me out on the timing belt.

The car did not come with an owner's manual.
tommygear

Santa Ana, CA

#8 Mar 27, 2009
tommygear

Santa Ana, CA

#9 Mar 27, 2009
dont give up on the jetta just yet i recently put plugs, wires, coil, distrubutor, all 3 belts, water pump, and sensors all the way around but other than oil this car has had nothing done to it in 215k miles!!!!!My Honda didnt do that!
4whatitsworth

Scott Air Force Base, IL

#10 Aug 17, 2010
I am picking my 2005 Jetta up from the dealership today after having the timing chain replaced because the tension things came loose and the chain stretched or something... $2100... They charge you everytime they push the keyless entry...
4whatitsworth

Scott Air Force Base, IL

#11 Aug 17, 2010
I also had the master break cylinder replaced 6 months ago. they are also repairing the window mechanisms this morning since my front windows have not gone up and down in over a year, which is $105. Hopefully this will be IT for awhile. I do liek my car and it has done very well for over 80, 000 so if I don't have to do anything else to it for a few more years, I feel lucky.
Brian VW

Carlisle, PA

#12 Aug 12, 2012
You guys are ridiculous! The VW jetta is the most reliable car I ever owned!
Matt

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Jan 14, 2013
I agree, I've had 2 VW cars, and it's in good shape.

Take care of it, and it'll take care of you. Crap happens to cars, all cars, even if it's an 80k cadillac whatever...

I saw someone say that preventive maintenance rocks up above,... and, yes, it does. dont wait until all the crap goes bad to fix it,... just keep up on the maintenance, and the vw jetta will be a good car for a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volkswagen Jetta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2012 gas jetta wont crank Nov 30 kenny 1
Transmission stuck in second gear Oct '16 Stoney 2
News Volkswagen suit becomes class action (Nov '07) Aug '16 bmeskin 126
Ac control panels Aug '16 Becky 1
Major 01 Jetta Problems (Oct '07) May '16 wanwy1969 14
2001 jetta vr6 engine missing fire (May '16) May '16 wanwy1969 1
News VW executive to face tough questions from Congr... (Oct '15) Apr '16 Murdochs Chinese ... 17
More from around the web