Downeast Toyota Toyotas sudden Accele...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Profits trump safety

Bangor, ME

#21 Mar 15, 2013
Google Toyota Speed Control!! I guess thats what Toyota is calling the Sudden Acceleration problem NOW!!!
Pendejo

Englishtown, NJ

#22 Apr 11, 2013
Drivers should be revoked driver licenses for a failure to shift into neutral..."sudden unintended acceleration"...how stupid can one be...
Lutchee naidoo

Bankstown, Australia

#23 Oct 9, 2014
I was parking my Toyota rev4 into a car park and vehicle was totally stopped ,when it suddenly surged into rev and started moving forward,I couldn't control the vehicle even though I was pressing on the brakes for dear life,it gained speed ,rampaged pass trees and knocked a stationery vehicle ,climbing on a curb and getting onto the street of oncoming vehicles.I hit the curb of the street and finely managing to bring the car to a stop and putting it into park and turning the car down.I sustained injuries throughout this ordeal.I don't want to drive this car again
Totally traumatised by this
Francene

Sydney, Australia

#25 Apr 27, 2015
Toyota are #Lieing to Public on a #Global
Level!!! My Family in Australia had 2 Missile Style Speeds in Mums Corolla with No
Brakes to Stop? TOYOTA tried to con us into
believing it wasn't a Manufacturers Fault!
We aren't dumb as Toyota would like to think! Family's#Worldwide are Dieing from
ETC System that is coneccted to Software
So when the Faulty Software has a Glitch
Pray to God you survive!
interest1959

United States

#26 Apr 27, 2015
I had purchased a brand new 2004 ES 330 Lexus from San Francisco Bay Area in July 2004. I drove it to Las Vegas, NV. In April 1, of 2005 around 2:00 PM I was in the center lane, my car had a tiny jerk, I felt I was about to hit the car in front of me. I decided to go to the right lane where there was no car, as I approached the red light, I had my foot on the brake, it was almost a complete stop, as my car took off going through the red light. I kept pushing on the brake, but the brake was stuck, I could hear the accelerator revving, I pushed on it, but was stuck as well. The car really took off, I hold on to the wheel as I thought I was going to run over people. The right side of the car was on the sidewalk, going over the rocks and shrubs, then was on the road going very erratically. I was holding on the wheel so hard and screaming, It felt like the speed was over 100 because I could not hold on to the wheel any longer, then it went over the median and the other side of the road hitting an SUV head on. The dashboard fell on my legs and crushed both legs severely. The airbag hit my chest cause lots of bruising and shortness of breath. Both my car and the SUV were totaled.

Right after the accident I told friends that I want the brake to be checked because I had no brake. My car was checked by Lexus and I was told the brake was fine. I found out about Toyota and Lexus sudden unintended acceleration in 2010.

Since: Apr 14

Manassas, VA

#28 Apr 30, 2015
Toyota is #1 in cases of sudden unintended acceleration and FORD is #2. The current unintended acceleration plaguing newer vehicles is the electronically-induced type. The engine throttle control systems depend on computer software to command them. Sometimes glitches occur...like in some of your other electronic devices...which can cause the command to be different than what you desire. The evidence of the glitch is often undetectable after the vehicle is restarted. Unfortunately, the EDR (black box) is not always accurate as shown by expert Dr. Antony Anderson in his analysis of a 2012 Toyota Highlander. The EDR results indicated the driver was not braking when she was doing so. The EDR results are inconsistent.

The key to avoiding a horrific crash during a SUA event is whether or not the vehicle has an effective fail-safe in the event a glitch occurs. If it does not, as in the case of the glitch-prone Toyota ETCS-i, then the vehicle may become a runaway with an ineffective means to stop it. Unfortunately, the safety standards aren't as strict in automobiles as they are in airplanes. Some manufacturers have more effective fail-safes than others. In the case of Toyota, an embedded software expert, Michael Barr (see Oklahoma Bookout vs. Toyota court case involving a 2005 Camry) found that an electronic glitch could induce a SUA event. Another expert, Dr. Henning Leidecker, found that a SUA event could also be triggered by "tin whisker" formation, particularly in 2002-2006 Toyota Camry vehicles.

SUA events have been DEADLY for vehicle occupants as well as pedestrians and people in storefronts, buildings, and even homes. The numbers of such crashes are ever-increasing with the advent of the very complex ELECTRONIC throttle control systems.

With the increase in such serious vehicle crashes, there is a concerted effort to show driver "pedal misapplication" or a "medical condition" or some other reason for the incident...anything other than a vehicle defect. Investigators aren't scrutinizing the buggy electronic throttle control software or other conditions that can elicit a terrifying sudden unintended acceleration incident. They usually just examine the *mechanical* causes which tend to be just red herrings in these cases. Investigators simply don't have the expertise to find such electronic glitches. In fact, the staff at the NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, do not have this very specialized training!

Think of it...the next step in electronically-controlled vehicles seems to be so-called "self-driving cars." Do YOU want to be in a such a vehicle when there is no evidence that strict safety standards, particularly in the throttle control system's software, have been adhered to? Will you just BLINDLY trust the automaker (criminally-investigated and nearly-prosecuted Toyota and soon-to-be GM and others?) to come through for you and your family's safety *on its own*?

A recently published Huffington Post article by Jonathan Handel,
How Do We Know Driverless Cars Are Safe? Google Says 'Trust Us'
Posted: 07/01/2014 7:23 pm EDT Updated: 07/02/2014 1:48 pm EDT speaks to these very issues and poses tough questions about Google's "driverless" vehicles. Educate yourself carefully before you put your faith in automakers who have knowingly lied to their customers and the government for decades. Study the issue of vehicle electronic sudden unintended acceleration and ask WHY we aren't seeing it addressed publicly. WHY is blame placed on the driver with little more than speculation about which pedal was used or with little more than an assumption on medical condition. This is being done *even when the drivers steadfastly cite a VEHICLE PROBLEM as the cause of the crash. Absence of proof is not proof of absence of a serious ELECTRONIC computer glitch or other electronically-caused SUA.

Manassas, VA

#29 Apr 30, 2015
Singer/songwriter, Kris Kitko did an AWESOME job on her YouTube video, "Toyota Where Are Ya?" The video was directed at Toyota regarding her own real world experience with Toyota SUA, sudden unintended acceleration. With her satirical approach, she completely destroyed the Toyota and NHTSA myth about SUA, namely “pedal misapplication” by drivers. Unfortunately, Kris Kitko’s YouTube video is no longer available for viewing online.

In the wake of the NHTSA/DOJ $1.2 BILLION settlement following a CRIMINAL investigation, Kris should be encouraged to use her finely-honed musical skills to do a sequel to her first Toyota SUA YouTube video. The U.S. Federal Government allowed Toyota “deferred prosecution” in this settlement provided it follow the steps outlined in the terms of the agreement. No one…not one single Toyota executive…is going to serve any prison time for knowingly withholding evidence that could have saved many lives and ensured public safety on the roads.Toyota ADMITTED that it LIED to both the Toyota customers and the government.

Michael Barr, renowned embedded systems expert, after studying Toyota’s ETCS-I far longer than NASA did, found the existence of faults in the software which could lead to a real-world, potentially-catastrophic SUA event with a number of potentially ineffective failsafes. Imagine flying down the road in a Toyota with no functioning brake override to exit a software task-death! Isn’t that a bit like being on a high-speed roller coaster and having the track fail to keep you on? And want to know the most SHOCKING part? Toyota reportedly didn't have a copy of the code in their OWN monitor chip! Michael Barr and company had to SHOW them! Can we just say,“Scary!”

Toyota cites that there is no electronic cause for SUA in its vehicles based on the short-duration investigations by NHTSA and NASA. Michael Barr and other experts have shown these studies to be scientifically seriously flawed. First, the ETCS-I software investigation was extremely limited. Only a SMALL FRACTION of the embedded software was tested by NASA.

Secondly, Toyota misrepresented the presence of EDAC RAM (error detection and correction random access memory) while indications of this issue were apparently redacted in the original NHTSA report. This misled NASA into NOT LOOKING INTO a number of potential sources of failure – which they may otherwise might have.

According to NASA expert, Dr. Henning Leidecker, some Toyota's can grow "tin whiskers" within certain electronic components. This can result in short circuits which can lead to yet another type of electronically-induced SUA event. Dr. Leidecker and associates actually DID FIND and study a case of "tin whiskers" found within the accelerator pedal assembly; rendering a Toyota vehicle UNDRIVEABLE.

Dr. Leidecker suggests driving the affected Toyota vehicles is "a game of Russian roulette." Dr. Leidecker is most concerned about 2002-2006 Toyota Camrys with their potential to grow "tin whiskers." He indicates the risk of this condition increases over time.

Meanwhile, whistleblower Betsy Benjaminson remains scared for Toyota drivers. She is convinced Toyota's own internal documents strongly indicate SOMETHING IS WRONG with their ETCS-i ELECTRONICS . She says "ghosts" indicate glitches can cause a runaway car. Betsy now blogs on a Blogger website where she continues to EXPOSE key documents that she says open the company's PR KIMONO. Betsy's goal is to reveal the true inside story of Toyota's SUA problem and to demonstrate and expose the differences between the company walk and company talk.
How did Betsy turn whistleblower? As a Japanese-to-English translator, Betsy was hired by Toyota's legal team to translate documents for the criminal investigation of Toyota. Just like the DOJ, Betsy SMELLED A RAT. After checking with top experts, she came forward to alert the public to the major safety issues involved.

Manassas, VA

#30 Apr 30, 2015
Toyota cites that there is no electronic cause for SUA in its vehicles based on the short-duration investigations by NHTSA and NASA. Michael Barr and other experts have shown these studies to be scientifically seriously flawed. First, the ETCS-I software investigation was extremely limited. Only a SMALL FRACTION of the embedded software was tested by NASA.

Secondly, Toyota misrepresented the presence of EDAC RAM (error detection and correction random access memory) while indications of this issue were apparently redacted in the original NHTSA report. This misled NASA into NOT LOOKING INTO a number of potential sources of failure – which they may otherwise might have.

According to NASA expert, Dr. Henning Leidecker, some Toyota's can grow "tin whiskers" within certain electronic components. This can result in short circuits which can lead to yet another type of electronically-induced SUA event. Dr. Leidecker and associates actually DID FIND and study a case of "tin whiskers" found within the accelerator pedal assembly; rendering a Toyota vehicle UNDRIVEABLE.

Dr. Leidecker suggests driving the affected Toyota vehicles is "a game of Russian roulette." Dr. Leidecker is most concerned about 2002-2006 Toyota Camrys with their potential to grow "tin whiskers." He indicates the risk of this condition increases over time.

Manassas, VA

#31 Apr 30, 2015
Meanwhile, whistleblower Betsy Benjaminson remains scared for Toyota drivers. She is convinced Toyota's own internal documents strongly indicate SOMETHING IS WRONG with their ETCS-i ELECTRONICS . She says "ghosts" indicate glitches can cause a runaway car. Betsy now blogs on a Blogger website where she continues to EXPOSE key documents that she says open the company's PR KIMONO. Betsy's goal is to reveal the true inside story of Toyota's SUA problem and to demonstrate and expose the differences between the company walk and company talk.

How did Betsy turn whistleblower? As a Japanese-to-English translator, Betsy was hired by Toyota's legal team to translate documents for the criminal investigation of Toyota. Just like the DOJ, Betsy SMELLED A RAT. After checking with top experts, she came forward to alert the public to the major safety issues involved.

Toyota owner, turned consumer activist-blogger, Parris Boyd has been blogging about what he calls “The Recall King”(a.k.a. Toyota) for years. His blog,“Beware of Toyota. Their next victim may be YOU…,” was initially an outlet for his frustration with Toyota--after his MR2 Spyder’s engine disintegrated at low mileage. What Parris faced was an unresponsive, stonewalling company operating within a state of denial.

During the height of Toyota’s engine oil SLUDGE debacle, Parris created his blog with the goal of using his free speech to help other similarly-affected Toyota owners. He also wanted the public to know just how Toyota and its dealerships treated their “valued customers.” Parris’s Blogger website currently receives over 100 views a day!

So, WHY is Toyota trying so hard to CONVINCE its own customers and the public that its vehicles suffer from SUA caused only by 1) improperly placed or type of floor mats (huh?); 2) sticky accelerator pedals (like those pesky sticky Sienna minivan sliding doors?); or 3) pedal misapplication (oh...the little old lady theory?). Why does it IGNORE the recent findings of the electronic experts? WHY isn’t it currently LISTENING to its own customers?

Well, YOU be the judge. The FACTS are before you.

Manassas, VA

#32 Apr 30, 2015
Most Toyota SUA victims use the word "terrifying" in their description of the crashes or even in the event without a crash, IF they are lucky enough to stop the vehicle before it crashes! The witness said "horrific" and that word is also used a lot to describe these frightening events of unintended ELECTRONIC acceleration.

These accidents are described as a "freak" or "bizarre" because of the erratic behavior of the vehicles at the time of the incidents. Drivers are "shocked" or "dazed" or "confused" afterwards as you can imagine ANYONE would be!

This isn't about age, medical condition, or any other cause superficial to the ACTUAL no-speed or low-speed to AIRBORNE speed in seconds electronic cause of such accidents.

Make no mistake about it...there is a Big PR push to make sure the driver is found to be at fault...even if it means conjuring up the most "handy" excuse possible. A real Toyota Corolla victim tells all about Toyota's coercion (a.k.a. BULLY) techniques on Twitter. It is NOT funny what the automaker is doing to their own customers when the customers come to them to report this serious safety issue happening in their vehicles!

If you read comment sections on these articles, you see a lot of inappropriate joking going on at the car crash victim's expense. It happens time and time again if you take the time to track the articles about these horrific crashes. Think that's innocent? Think again.

Charlene Blake

Manassas, VA

#33 Apr 30, 2015
CLASSIC *parking lot* sudden unintended acceleration in this case.

1) driver pulls into or out of a parking space/spot with braking
2) engine revs loudly...ROARING...
3) open throttle vehicle TAKES OFF, often jumping curbs, climbing embankments, crossing medians
4) CRASHES into storefront, building, or homes with bulldozer-like power
5) wheels continue spinning AFTER impact, squealing and burning rubber until smoke fills space
6) driver in a state of shock about what just happened
7) IF death or injury to others, driver's reputation slammed and charges filed

THEN...police and automaker rule DRIVER ERROR (or "medical condition" or "elderly" or "impaired") because we must NOT blame the highly-complex, computer-driven, electronic glitch-prone vehicle!!

BEWARE of auto industry-known initial low-speed or no-speed ELECTRONIC sudden unintended acceleration! This type of #SUA is far more common than you think!

Charlene McCarthy Blake
THoffmann

Athens, AL

#34 May 10, 2015
Bought a used 2012 Toyota Rav 4 with over 50K miles on it in December 2014. When decelerating, usually in preparation to slow down or stop, and usually at low speed, the engine will suddenly rev very high and pressing the brake pedal often cannot stop the forward movement immediately. Have to force the transmission out of drive into neutral. I have an appointment with the local Toyota dealership tomorrow. Am reading that this is not an uncommon problem with several Toyota models, but specifically the Rav 4. This is a very dangerous malfunction and could result in serious accident if the driver cannot overcome the acceleration quickly. Sounds like the Toyota dealerships are unable to diagnose or fix the problem and are foisting it off on driver error, floor mats, etc. I'm going to take a bath if I have to sell the car, but will have to if the problem is not fixed. Surely Toyota has figured out the repair since 2012?
interest1959

Venice, FL

#36 May 11, 2015
I had purchased a brand new 2004 ES 330 Lexus from San Francisco Bay Area in July 2004. I drove it to Las Vegas, NV. In April 1, of 2005 around 2:00 PM I was in the center lane, my car had a tiny jerk, I felt I was about to hit the car in front of me. I decided to go to the right lane where there was no car, as I approached the red light, I had my foot on the brake, it was almost a complete stop, as my car took off going through the red light. I kept pushing on the brake, but the brake was stuck, I could hear the accelerator revving, I pushed on it, but was stuck as well. The car really took off, I hold on to the wheel as I thought I was going to run over people. The right side of the car was on the sidewalk, going over the rocks and shrubs, then was on the road going very erratically. I was holding on the wheel so hard and screaming, It felt like the speed was over 100 because I could not hold on to the wheel any longer, then it went over the median and the other side of the road hitting an SUV head on. The dashboard fell on my legs and crushed both legs severely. The airbag hit my chest cause lots of bruising and shortness of breath. Both my car and the SUV were totaled.

Right after the accident I told friends that I want the brake to be checked because I had no brake. My car was checked by Lexus and I was told the brake was fine. In 2010 I found out about Toyota and Lexus sudden unintended acceleration when Highway patrol officer and three member of his family died in a Lexus in San Diego freeway.
Steve7

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#37 May 27, 2015
I was driving a 2012 Prius C with 57,000 miles on it. As I was entering a parking space at 2-5 mph and braking to stop there was a sudden acceleration that I couldn't stop with the brakes. Car climbed a 5 ft. berm, and stopped only when front wheels were suspended over the adjacent lot. The mats were not involved and if the berm were not there I would have hit something in the other lot. Notified a dealer and Toyota headquarters but I'm not expecting anything positive after reading the other cases. THIS CAR IS DANGEROUS!!!! Someone will die.

Gainesville, VA

#38 Jun 4, 2015
Pendejo wrote:
Drivers should be revoked driver licenses for a failure to shift into neutral..."sudden unintended acceleration"...how stupid can one be...
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding! The software in these throttle systems is full of glitches! Why, Toyota's throttle control system software had been dubbed "spaghetti code" and rightly so!
How long will the PUBLIC accept Toyota and NHTSA denial of electronic sudden unintended acceleration? Let's NOT forget that Christopher Santucci who once led the Toyota SUA investigation at NHTSA is now gainfully EMPLOYED BY TOYOTA! That's right, NHTSA's "Revolving Door" keeps these investigations CLOSED and the DENIALS about sudden unintended acceleration coming! Not only that, t keeps both NHTSA & Toyota in the "Driver Error" cover-up mode indefinitely!
In the meantime, horrific and catastrophic crashes keep happening daily with maiming, death, & great destruction!

Gainesville, VA

#39 Jun 4, 2015
Lutchee naidoo wrote:
I was parking my Toyota rev4 into a car park and vehicle was totally stopped ,when it suddenly surged into rev and started moving forward,I couldn't control the vehicle even though I was pressing on the brakes for dear life,it gained speed ,rampaged pass trees and knocked a stationery vehicle ,climbing on a curb and getting onto the street of oncoming vehicles.I hit the curb of the street and finely managing to bring the car to a stop and putting it into park and turning the car down.I sustained injuries throughout this ordeal.I don't want to drive this car again

Totally traumatised by this
Toyota is #1 in cases of sudden unintended acceleration and FORD is #2. The current unintended acceleration plaguing newer vehicles is the electronically-induced type. The engine throttle control systems depend on computer software to command them. Sometimes glitches occur...like in some of your other electronic devices...which can cause the command to be different than what you desire. The evidence of the glitch is often undetectable after the vehicle is restarted. Unfortunately, the EDR (black box) is not always accurate as shown by expert Dr. Antony Anderson in his analysis of a 2012 Toyota Highlander. The EDR results indicated the driver was not braking when she was doing so. The EDR results are inconsistent.

The key to avoiding a horrific crash during a SUA event is whether or not the vehicle has an effective fail-safe in the event a glitch occurs. If it does not, as in the case of the glitch-prone Toyota ETCS-i, then the vehicle may become a runaway with an ineffective means to stop it. Unfortunately, the safety standards aren't as strict in automobiles as they are in airplanes. Some manufacturers have more effective fail-safes than others. In the case of Toyota, an embedded software expert, Michael Barr (see Oklahoma Bookout vs. Toyota court case involving a 2005 Camry) found that an electronic glitch could induce a SUA event. Another expert, Dr. Henning Leidecker, found that a SUA event could also be triggered by "tin whisker" formation, particularly in 2002-2006 Toyota Camry vehicles.
SUA events have been DEADLY for vehicle occupants as well as pedestrians and people in storefronts, buildings, and even homes. The numbers of such crashes are ever-increasing with the advent of the very complex ELECTRONIC throttle control systems.

With the increase in such serious vehicle crashes, there is a concerted effort to show driver "pedal misapplication" or a "medical condition" or some other reason for the incident...anything other than a vehicle defect. Investigators aren't scrutinizing the buggy electronic throttle control software or other conditions that can elicit a terrifying sudden unintended acceleration incident. They usually just examine the *mechanical* causes which tend to be just red herrings in these cases. Investigators simply don't have the expertise to find such electronic glitches. In fact, the staff at the NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, do not have this very specialized training!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 6 hr Baby makers 11,767
News Want An Electric Vehicle? The One You Should Bu... 15 hr Mr Poo 2
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr 25 more of 1
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) Apr 22 A gentleman and a... 3,107
class action filed: '01-'03 rav4 transmission /... (Dec '09) Apr 19 Pat1 340
News Gov't researchers develop wireless car chargers... Apr 6 Solarman 1
News Fuel-sipping electric now fun to drive Mar '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web