Downeast Toyota Toyotas sudden Accele...

Downeast Toyota Toyotas sudden Acceleration Fixed?? TOPIX

Posted in the Toyota Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#1 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Information (2 Complaints)
Date reported Feb 07, 2013
Location ROCKVILLE CENTRE, NY
Manufacturer TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
Vehicle 2013 TOYOTA CAMRY
Transmission Not Specified
Drivetrain Not Specified
Fuel type Gas
Occurences 1
Crash involved Y
Injuries 2
Deaths 0
Source NHTSA Website
All Complaints
Complaint - Structure, Vehicle Speed Control
CAR WAS STOPPED BEHIND A LANDSCAPER'S TRAILER FOR A SECOND AND THE ENGINE ACCELERATED SO FAST AND SO LOUDLY AND OVERRODE THE BRAKE SMASHING INTO THE BACK OF THE TRAILER. HUSBAND WAS UNABLE TO REACH THE KEYS TO TURN OFF THE ENGINE. WIFE WAS INJURED IN CHEST AREA AND TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL. THIS WAS A LOANER FROM TOYOTA UNTIL THEY INVESTIGATED WHY OUR HIGHLANDER WAS ACCELERATING THE DAY BEFORE.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#2 Mar 15, 2013
Mar 14, 2013 - Penn Hills, PA - Vehicle Speed Control
2012 RAV4, SECOND INCIDENT, 1ST WAS DISMISSED. WAS DRIVING APPROX 20 MPH IN A 35MPH BUSINESS DISTRICT ON 4 LANE STREET. PRESSED BRAKE WITH RIGHT FOOT TO DECELERATE FOR STOP LIGHT & CAR IN FRONT OF ME, CAR SUDDENLY SURGED FORWARD WITH ENGINE REVVING. I DEPRESSED BRAKE FURTHER WITH MORE STRENGTH AND TOOK LEFT FOOT AND PLACE ON TOP OF RIGHT FOOT. HAD THE FEELING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL WAS MOVING AS WELL BUT WASN'T TOUCHING IT. CAR CONTINUED TO JERK FORWARD, ENGINE REVVING, WITH BRAKES PARTIALLY ENGAGED FOR APPROX. 20 FEET. THEN ENGINE SHUT OFF COMPLETELY AND BRAKES FULLY ENGAGED STOPPING THE CAR. WAS INCHES FROM CAR IN FRONT. RESTARTED CAR AND FINISHED DRIVE HOME. CHECKED CAR MATS BUT STILL IN PLACE ON BRACKETS. HAD CAR TOWED TO TOYOTA DEALERSHIP. THEY FOUND NO UNINTENDED ACCELERATION BUT DID FIND THAT BOTH BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS HAD BEEN DEPRESSED. SUGGESTED I MUST HAVE STEPPED ON BOTH ACCIDENTALLY. NOT A CHANCE. WAS WELL AWARE OF FOOT/FEET PLACEMENT. SERVICE MGR SHOWED ME WHAT TO DO "SHOULD THIS HAPPEN AGAIN." EXCUSE ME?! TOLD TO SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL FOR BRAKES TO ENGAGE OR ANOTHER GEAR TO STALL THE ENGINE AND STOP THE CAR. 1 WK LATER, REGIONAL INSPECTOR SPENT DAY W/CAR AND REPORTED NOTHING WRONG. DID SHOW BOTH PEDALS DEPRESSED AT SAME TIME LONG ENOUGH TO TRIP SENSOR BUT NOTHING WAS WRONG. DEALER SUGGESTED I REPORT TO TOYOTA. REPORTED INCIDENT TO TOYOTA CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER. NOT HAPPY. 2 INCIDENTS, OTHER REPORTS ONLINE, AND IT'S A 2012 THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO DO THIS. FEEL LUCKY I DIDN'T REAR END SOMEONE, ESPECIALLY AS THE CAR DIDN'T SLOW VERY MUCH UNTIL IT DIED. SCARED SILLY FOR NEXT TIME. DO NOT WANT MY RAV. AM BEING TOLD CAR IS PERFECTLY SAFE BUT NO ONE AT DEALERSHIP WOULD SIGN STATEMENT SAYING I WAS SAFE AND THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN AGAIN. HMMM. WANT THEM TO TAKE CAR BACK! PURCHASED NEW IN OCT. 2012 W/LESS THAN 10 MILES ON IT
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#3 Mar 15, 2013
Mar 14, 2013 - Scranton, PA - Vehicle Speed Control
TL-THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA RAV4. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 5 MPH APPROACHING A STOP SIGNAL, THERE WAS AN UNINTENDED INCREASE IN THE ACCELERATION. THE ENGINE BEGAN TO REV RAPIDLY. THE CONTACT SHIFTED THE GEAR LEVER INTO NEUTRAL AND THE ENGINE WAS TURNED OFF. UPON RESTART, THE VEHICLE RESUMED AS NORMAL. THE FAILURE OCCURRED EIGHT TIMES. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR DIAGNOSIS AND THEY WERE UNABLE TO DETECT A TROUBLE CODE. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 190. THE VIN WAS UNAVAILABLE. JS
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#4 Mar 15, 2013
Jan 27, 2013 - Apache Junction, AZ - Vehicle Speed Control
WHILE ATTEMPTING TO ROLL THE VEHICLE FORWARD TO CLEAR A DOORWAY, THE VEHICLE JUMPED FORWARD ABOUT 6 FEET. AT THAT TIME I PULLED MY FOOT OFF THE GAS AND PUSHED THE BRAKE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. THE VEHICLE STOPPED MOMENTARILY, THEN BEGAN TO ACCELERATE PICKING UP SPEED RAPIDLY AS EVIDENCED BY THE REVVING OF THE ENGINE. I CONTINUED TO PUMP THE BRAKE SINCE HOLDING IT TO THE FLOOR WAS DOING NOTHING. BY THIS TIME I HAD GONE THROUGH A CHAIN LINK FENCE, THROUGH A DITCH OVER A CURB AND CONTINUED TO PICK UP SPEED TO PASS THROUGH A CONCRETE BLOCK WALL AND INTO THE BACK OF A PARKED R.,THE VEHICLE IMPALING ITSELF ON THE STEEL PIPES OF A MOTORCYCLE CARRIER ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF THE R.V. THE VEHICLE COULD NOT MOVE ANY FURTHER BUT THE ENGINE WAS STILL REVVING. NEEDLESS TO SAY THE RAV4 WAS TOTALED AND AMAZINGLY I SUFFERED ONLY MINOR BUMPS AND BRUISES. AT NO TIME DID ANY OF THE AIR BAGS DEPLOY.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#5 Mar 15, 2013
Jan 10, 2013 - Rockaway, NJ - Vehicle Speed Control
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA RAV4. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 10 MPH, THE CONTACT ATTEMPTED TO DECELERATE AND THE VEHICLE ERRONEOUSLY ACCELERATED. THE CONTACT ALSO STATED THAT THE RPMS INCREASED GREATLY. THE BRAKES FAILED TO RESPOND TO DECELERATION ATTEMPTS AND THE VEHICLE CRASHED INTO THE PROCEEDING VEHICLE. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. THE VEHICLE HAD NOT BEEN REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE AND STATED THAT AN INVESTIGATOR WILL INSPECT THE VEHICLE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 7,000
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#6 Mar 15, 2013
Dec 10, 2012 - Columbia, SC - Vehicle Speed Control
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA RAV4. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 5 MPH, THE RPMS INCREASED DRASTICALLY. THE CONTACT DECELERATED AND SHIFTED INTO NEUTRAL. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER WHERE THE FAILURE COULD NOT BE DIAGNOSED. THE TECHNICIAN INFORMED THE CONTACT THAT THE VEHICLE WAS MANUFACTURED CORRECTLY AND TO PLACE THE VEHICLE IN NEUTRAL WHENEVER THE FAILURE OCCURRED. THE TECHNICIAN ALSO INFORMED THE CONTACT THAT THE FAILURE ONLY OCCURRED AT LOW SPEEDS. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 250...UPDATED 01/16/2013 THE CONSUMER STATED THE VEHICLE WAS TRADED IN. THE CONSUMER NO LONGER OWNS THE VEHICLE. UPDATED 1/25/2013
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#7 Mar 15, 2013
Nov 09, 2012 - Panama City, FL - Vehicle Speed Control
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA RAV 4. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE ABNORMALLY ACCELERATED AS THE BRAKES WERE DEPRESSED. THE CONTACT APPLIED THE BRAKES HARDER AND THE VEHICLE STOPPED. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE FAILURE RECURRED SEVERAL TIMES LATER. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER FOR INSPECTION BUT THEY COULD NOT DUPLICATE THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED AND THE FAILURE RECURRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED AND SENT SOMEONE TO FURTHER INSPECT THE VEHICLE BUT THEY COULD NOT DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 200. THE VIN WAS UNAVAILABLE. UPDATED 12/19/12 THE CONSUMER STATED THE VEHICLE WAS TRADED IN. UPDATED 1/9/2013
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#8 Mar 15, 2013
Nov 02, 2012 - Endicott, NY - Vehicle Speed Control
I WAS STOPPED AT A STOP SIGN WAITING TO MAKE A RIGHT HAND TURN. A CAR WAS COMING FROM THE LEFT. WITH MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE, THE CAR FELT AS IF IT WERE GOING TO TAKE OFF. I PUSHED MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AS FAR DOWN AS I COULD. LUCKILY, THE APPROACHING CAR TURNED DOWN THE STREET I WAS STOPPED ON AND I WAS ABLE TO TURN RIGHT. AS SOON AS I TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE BRAKE THE CAR SURGED FORWARD LIKE THE GAS PEDAL WAS STUCK. THIS HAPPENED ABOUT ONE QUARTER MILE FROM MY HOUSE. I MADE IT HOME SAFELY. AFTER I GOT IN THE DRIVEWAY, I TURNED OFF THE ENGINE AND RESTARTED THE CAR BACK UP AGAIN. I DROVE IT UP AND DOWN THE DRIVEWAY A FEW TIMES AND IT WAS FINE. MY HUSBAND CHECKED THE FLOOR MAT AND IT WAS IN PLACE. VERY SCARY!
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#9 Mar 15, 2013
Sep 17, 2012 - Pleasant Hill, CA - Vehicle Speed Control
I PULLED INTO A LEFT TURN LANE TO MAKE A TURN. AS I WAS WAITING FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC TO CLEAR THE CAR SUDDENLY SURGED FORWARD. I SLAMMED ON THE BRAKES. THAT STOPPED THE CAR. FORTUNATELY THERE WASN'T A CAR IN FRONT OF ME, OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE HAD AN ACCIDENT. I WAS RIDING WITH MY COUSIN AND WE WERE TRAVELING ABOUT 25 MILES AN HOUR ON A BUSY STREET. THE CAR SURGED, MY COUSIN ASKED IF I HAD STEPPED ON THE GAS, I HADN'T. I IMMEDIATELY TOOK THE CAR TO THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP. I TOLD THE TECH WHAT HAD HAPPENED, HE SAID THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. TOOK THE CAR FOR A SHORT DRIVE AND SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR. IT CONTINUES TO HAPPEN PERIODICALLY. I HAVE ALSO NOTICED THIS WEEK THAT THE TRANSMISSION SEEMS TO LUG DOWN WHEN IT SHIFTS. I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF THIS CAR, NOT TO MENTION THE DEFECT IN THE PARALYZED WHITE PAINT. ONE TRIP THROUGH THE CAR WASH WITH NORMAL DIRT AND THE TOP LAYER OF PAINT CAME OFF IN ONE AREA. THE DEALERSHIP IS TO CALL ME WHEN THE REP COMES IN TO LOOK AT THE PAINT THAT WAS WEEKS AGO AND NO ONE HAS CALLED
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#10 Mar 15, 2013
Jun 13, 2012 - Poughkeepsie, NY - Vehicle Speed Control
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA RAV-4. THE CONTACT STATED THAT AFTER ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE IN REVERSE OUT OF A PARKING SPACE WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL ENGAGED, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED AND CRASH INTO A PARKED VEHICLE. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THE DRIVER SUSTAINED BRUISES TO HER LEG. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER WHO WAS UNABLE TO DIAGNOSED THE FAILURE. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE AND STATED THEY WOULD CONTACT HER AT A LATER DATE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 4,620. UPDATED 07/25/12 THE CONSUMER STATED THE VEHICLE CHANGED GEARS ON ITS OWN, AND THE GAS PEDAL WENT TO THE FLOOR ON ITS OWN AS WELL. UPDATED 08/08/12
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#11 Mar 15, 2013
Feb 29, 2012 - Poughkeepsie, NY - Vehicle Speed Control
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA RAV4. THE CONTACT STATED THAT UPON SHIFTING INTO DRIVE, THERE WAS A RAPID INCREASE IN THE ENGINE RPMS AND THE VEHICLE BEGAN TO SURGE FORWARD. THE CONTACT APPLIED EXCESSIVE PRESSURE TO THE BRAKE PEDAL, BUT THE ENGINE CONTINUED TO REV. ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL OPENED THE DOORS AND TURNED OFF THE IGNITION. THE VEHICLE WAS THEN TOWED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER AND THEY WERE UNABLE TO DIAGNOSE THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE AND OFFERED NO ASSISTANCE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 1,009.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#12 Mar 15, 2013
The car was a 2012 Toyota Camry. Driving daughters to school in 2012 Camry v6 stopped at a yield and the Camry accelerated beyond 1500 rpm and I had to press extremely hard on the brakes to keep the Camry stopped. Camry lunged forward at least two feet. This problem occurred on Jan. 8, 2013.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#13 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Speed Control problem #2
The vehicle involved is a 2012 Toyota Camry. In September 2012 I experienced a flattening out of the acceleration. Turning at a very low speed the car did not accelerate (this still occurs off and on). It is quite dangerous because there is no warning to the car behind me that I am no longer moving forward. It is like a stalling out which last around 5 seconds or so. Very unnerving but only seems to happen when I am going slow and turning the wheel. This issue happened on Sep. 1, 2012.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#14 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Speed Control problem #3
The vehicle involved was a 2012 Toyota Camry. I was driving at 60 mph on highway but suddenly the engine revved all the way to 7000 rpm and the car jerked violently. I put my foot off the accelerator but the engine still stays at 5000 rpm and doesn't go back down to normal. Had to pull over to the shoulder with emergency light on. Tried to get back on the highway but at 35 to 40 mph, the engine made loud revving noise and the rpm jumped to 7000 again. Had to pull over again and call for a tow truck. This vehicle speed control problem happened on 11/24/12.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#15 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Speed Control problem #4
The car is a 2012 Toyota Camry. There was crash involved with this Toyota Camry. The VIN of this Camry is 4T1BF1FK4C_. Entering a driveway at 2mph the car accelerated to approximately 30mph and struck a brick wall. The air bags deployed causing injury and the car was totaled. The failure date was July 25, 2012.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#16 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Speed Control problem #5
The vehicle involved is a 2012 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 50 mph when the vehicle increased rpms unexpectedly and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,300 and the current mileage was 1,306. This issue happened on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2012
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#17 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Speed Control problem #6
The vehicle is 2012 Toyota Camry se. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was a delayed response when the accelerator pedal was engaged and within seconds the vehicle abruptly accelerated. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three different times for the identical failure. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 3. This vehicle speed control problem happened on Tuesday, October 11, 2011.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#18 Mar 15, 2013
Vehicle Speed Control problem #7
The vehicle involved is a 2012 Toyota Camry. The VIN of this vehicle is 4T1BK1FK8C_. I enter into a parking lot behind a cluster of homes, a car was behind me and the driver indicated that I was going at less than 3-5 miles per hour. I park the car and all of the sudden the car accelerated, went over the parking bump and over a wood safety wall, over some bushes and landed 2 feet down, damaging the homes and a couple of heating units. I pressed the brake but the car kept on accelerating. This car should not be in the market. This problem occurred on Dec. 15, 2011.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#19 Mar 15, 2013
#1 - Cruise Control problem of the 2012 Toyota RAV4
The vehicle is a 2012 Toyota Rav4. The VIN of this Rav4 is 2T3ZF4DV1C_. Abrupt speed changes in normal speed and cruise control, radio and clock flashing occasionally, low tire pressure constantly, damage in air conditioning. The failure date was Monday, March 5, 2012
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#20 Mar 15, 2013
#2 - Cruise Control problem of the 2007 Toyota RAV4
The car involved is a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving on the highway, my accelerator opened to full throttle. I had to depress the brake strongly for between 10 and 15 seconds until the accelerator clicked off. The cruise control was on, but it was not set. The pedal was well clear of the floor mat, and looking down during the incident I could see that it was clear of any objects. It was a terrifying event. Upon notifying a local Toyota dealership, they tested the vehicle and claimed they did not discover what the problem was. This cruise control issue occurred Sun., Jul. 15, 2012.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Apr 3 Over Priced Cruze 11,782
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) Mar 28 Dyl 3,141
News Volvo's Polestar, VW Unveil New Electric Rivals... Mar '18 Solarman 1
Toyota is going way downhill every year Feb '18 Real Change 2018 1
News Buying used: Should we opt for a Honda Odyssey ... Jan '18 EdC 3
News A deployed airbag is seen in a Honda Accord. Jan '18 tanveer 1
News Toyota tells Kentucky plant workers: Cut costs ... Dec '17 WhenWillTheUAWGiveUp 47