Toyota Prius is in Trouble- Oriental ...

Toyota Prius is in Trouble- Oriental News

There are 73 comments on the www.csmonitor.com story from Apr 9, 2010, titled Toyota Prius is in Trouble- Oriental News. In it, www.csmonitor.com reports that:

Toyota Prius topped fleet sales in March. Retail was stagnant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.csmonitor.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#1 Apr 9, 2010
Say it aint so.
Gustavo Meehavo

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Apr 9, 2010
The Prius remains the most coveted vehicle in all of automotive.

It is a great vehicle, and is outselling any other single passenger car by General Motors.

Dallas, TX.

#3 Apr 9, 2010
Gustavo Meehavo wrote:
The Prius remains the most coveted vehicle in all of automotive.
It is a great vehicle, and is outselling any other single passenger car by General Motors.
Good news!

Why are they dumping the coveted vehicle on Hertz? The thing use to sell at premium.

Dallas, TX.

#4 Apr 9, 2010
Where will the buyers come from? I bet Priapus sales drop big time.

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#5 Apr 10, 2010
Its inevitable prius sales will drop. This will open the door for Ford to pick up sales if they put their fusion hybrid system into the focus.

Dallas, TX.

#6 Apr 10, 2010
Not just Ford, they all will take a piece of the pie. Prius is in trouble, just like the article says. Its days are numbered.

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#7 Apr 11, 2010
And if the volt gets its advertised mileage, people will flock to the volt. I hope Ford has been working on its version of the volt. I for one will buy a volt if it gets the advertised mileage, and sell my honda civic hybrid.

Dallas, TX.

#8 Apr 12, 2010
Tom Loy wrote:
And if the volt gets its advertised mileage, people will flock to the volt. I hope Ford has been working on its version of the volt. I for one will buy a volt if it gets the advertised mileage, and sell my honda civic hybrid.
Good idea –

You are one of many.

Dallas, TX.

#9 Apr 15, 2010
Love My Prius

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Apr 15, 2010
Tom Loy wrote:
I agree about the excitement for the Volt...however disagree that all will flock to it. This is because of the price. If it is priced at $40k reduced by tax credit to $32,000 it is still $10k more than I paid for my Prius package II and 4-5k more than higher end Prius. 4-5k buys a lot of gas. I think the mass shift will go to the vehicle that is more efficient and relatively close in price. Earlier poster mentioned what I feel is the most likely option which is Ford putting the hybrid system in its Focus. Or making the rumored electric Focus a reality.

Dallas, TX.

#11 Apr 15, 2010
Love My Prius wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about the excitement for the Volt...however disagree that all will flock to it. This is because of the price. If it is priced at $40k reduced by tax credit to $32,000 it is still $10k more than I paid for my Prius package II and 4-5k more than higher end Prius. 4-5k buys a lot of gas. I think the mass shift will go to the vehicle that is more efficient and relatively close in price. Earlier poster mentioned what I feel is the most likely option which is Ford putting the hybrid system in its Focus. Or making the rumored electric Focus a reality.
Erase 40k from your mind. Pretend you didn’t hear it. You are now privy to valuable information. Run with it.
liner

Bronx, NY

#12 Apr 16, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>Erase 40k from your mind. Pretend you didn’t hear it. You are now privy to valuable information. Run with it.
IMO, the only way they'll sell this thing is around 23-25K. Can't see it being worth much more.

Dallas, TX.

#13 Apr 16, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, the only way they'll sell this thing is around 23-25K. Can't see it being worth much more.
That price is not feasible, especially for new tech like VOLTEC.
Love My Prius

Silver Spring, MD

#14 Apr 16, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>That price is not feasible, especially for new tech like VOLTEC.
I agree the Volt is worth more than $30k, but agree w/Liner that large numbers of consumers will not pay that much for it. Particaluarly not in the first few years before it's "proven." This relegates it to a niche market of middle/upper-middle class.

Considering the plug in Prius and other cars will be on its heals hopefully this will force the price down. The Nissan Leaf is cheaper but being battery only is not a feasible alternative to the Volt.

The real challenge will be the plug in Prius and IF/WHEN cars with ecotech engines (ie Cruze) get a hybrid system added. The Cruze is supposed to get 40mpg with its ecotech NON-hybrid engine..further this car will be significantly more affordable and I believe it will be the real game changer for GM as opposed to the Volt.
liner

Bronx, NY

#15 Apr 16, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>That price is not feasible, especially for new tech like VOLTEC.
You're right, but you won't see significant sales numbers at that price point (30K+). GM needs to move metal.

Dallas, TX.

#16 Apr 16, 2010
Scheduled production is 10K for year one. This sets it right on target for the intended market.
Ulf

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Apr 16, 2010
The Prius sells 240K per year in the U.S.

The Volt will sell at 4% that rate?
Love My Prius

Silver Spring, MD

#18 Apr 16, 2010
Ulf wrote:
The Prius sells 240K per year in the U.S.
The Volt will sell at 4% that rate?
Agree. Yet I think this is smoke and mirrors sort of - but of the sort that works different angles. The Volt sales, although small will highlight GM's ability to match or exceed all other 'green' vehicle competitors in terms of technology in the car.

While the Cruze w/ecotech engine pulling 40mpg and in all likely hood will undercut the price or at least match the price of the Prius - which along w/40mpg will be the true competitor.

GM is working this pretty smartly. I'll hold onto my Prius for a few years and let the competition sort out.

Dallas, TX.

#19 Apr 16, 2010
Love My Prius wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. Yet I think this is smoke and mirrors sort of - but of the sort that works different angles. The Volt sales, although small will highlight GM's ability to match or exceed all other 'green' vehicle competitors in terms of technology in the car.
While the Cruze w/ecotech engine pulling 40mpg and in all likely hood will undercut the price or at least match the price of the Prius - which along w/40mpg will be the true competitor.
GM is working this pretty smartly. I'll hold onto my Prius for a few years and let the competition sort out.
Good clear thinking.
Thank you
Joyce

Honolulu, HI

#20 Sep 20, 2010
We love the Prius. It is not gay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Multi-Diag accès I-2014, avec 23 marques et 530... 18 hr diyobd2 1
Tout sur multi-diag access j2534 pass-thru obd2... 18 hr diyobd2 1
News What's the - most-American' car available? Cars... Jul 30 princessWKYT 3
Toyota Rod Bolt Torque Jul 29 Andybaby 1
News Toyota Tacoma compact pickup selling like a ful... (Sep '12) Jul '16 Pissed 12
News Top 10 Most Economical New Cars (Sep '07) Jul '16 litesong 91
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Jul '16 Root 11,779
More from around the web