2007 Toyota Prius: Real-World Mileage

2007 Toyota Prius: Real-World Mileage

There are 18 comments on the Autospies.com story from Oct 23, 2006, titled 2007 Toyota Prius: Real-World Mileage. In it, Autospies.com reports that:

Tell someone you drive a Toyota Prius, and they might conclude you also enjoy tofu scramble and "West Wing" reruns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Autospies.com.

Bill Rittelmann

Columbus Grove, OH

#1 Oct 25, 2006
Short trips will reduce the fuel ecomomy of any car, its just that other cars are not under such scrutiny. I have a 2005 Prius and commute one hour each way to work. The milage is noticeably lower for the first 10 minutes, but then gets much better. I have kept every gas station receipt for 25,000 miles so that I can calculate the fuel economy myself - 50 mpg! The car computer is within 3%, which I would consider fairly accurate. My VW Passat computer exagerates the fuel ecomomy by 10%. Try the same tests with other cars. That is the only way to compare performance relative to EPA fuel economy figures.
Denny

Central District, Hong Kong

#2 Oct 29, 2006
I have my 2006 Prius for 2 months. The real gas consumption for the first 6000 km is 4.7L/100km (50MPG).The car is great, comfort and powerful.
Jim Tourtelotte

Manchester, NH

#3 Nov 24, 2007
Sudden drop in mpg: In 2004 when I bought my Prius I got 54 mpg on average,56 to 58 on the Mass Turnpike,48 to 50 in the city (less 10 percent in the colder months). When ethanol was added at the pump I dropped to a pretty consistent 50 mpg on average in the warmer months and 48 in the colder months. However in early October, which was still very warm here, milage dropped preciptously to 44 mpg on average. The dealer has no answer. Any similar experiences and answers?? Thanks.
Tim

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4 Jan 22, 2008
anyone notice a difference in MPG based on fuel octane? My first tank (from the dealer), I averaged 51-52 mpg. I filled it with 87 and my MPG, city and highway, dropped considerably. Then I filled it with 89 and it seemed to go back up to 50-51.
thoughts? I'm guessing the dealer put in 93 octane on the first tank? I know that what I've read says that higher octane fuel should make no difference, but I'm immediately suspicious.
I'm going to continue testing different octanes over the next month or two and see what happens since my driving patterns are pretty consistent
Gary

Gillette, WY

#5 Feb 15, 2008
I'm having the same experience as Jim T. I bought my 2007 Prius last Sept. For several months I got 50 mpg average. Now all of a sudden it's down to 40 mpg. The dealer says that the computer average on the bar graph screen is for the life of the car. Yet I think it must be the average for the length of the trip, which registers at the lower right.
Greg

Andover, MA

#6 Mar 4, 2008
I have a 2007 Prius and if I try real hard I can get 30 MPG Does anyone have any ideas. I also would like to know where the Datalink connector is.
Gas Saver

Gulfport, MS

#7 Mar 4, 2008
I have an '08 Camry Hybrid and average about 40 to 41 mpg. It's a mix of highway and city driving, most of that being non-commute mileage (I work from home). I'm pretty easy on the pedal from a stop, but average about 75mph on the highway. I haven't noticed a difference in mileage based on octane.

I do zero out the onboard computer every time I fill up; taking the amount measured at fillup and dividing that by the mileage from the last fillup bears out what the nav system is telling me.
mudflats dave

Shallotte, NC

#8 May 24, 2008
I have a 2008 Prius. The dealer told me that every time you fill up the mileage resets to zero so that the mpg is based on your last fillup. I don't think this is correct. The onboard computer keeps showing my gas mileage improving. It may drop 0.1 mile per gallon for a little while. A friend said that is because I am driving smarter. I think I'm driving better, but I don't think this explains my continued improvement.
Anyway, I would like to know for sure the mileage that the onboard computer bases its average MPG. I would be willing to accept it is based on lifetime mileage, or some shorter mileage. I don't believe it is since the last fill-up. Anyone know?
Gary wrote:
I'm having the same experience as Jim T. I bought my 2007 Prius last Sept. For several months I got 50 mpg average. Now all of a sudden it's down to 40 mpg. The dealer says that the computer average on the bar graph screen is for the life of the car. Yet I think it must be the average for the length of the trip, which registers at the lower right.
Carl

Huntingdon, UK

#9 Jun 18, 2008
The mpg is the average from manual Reset to manual Reset. When you put more than 2 litres in the miles are reset automatically but not the mpg. Used to but not now. The greater the distance between manual resets the less sensitive the mpg figure becomes.
willyboy94956

San Francisco, CA

#10 Aug 9, 2008
My Prius milage dropped by 20% with the addition of four new tires. I have had an average MPG of 45 with each tank and manual reset of the odometer. The sudden drop of milage has me stumped. The tire center also did the rather minimal 70K service (oil change etc). Anyone have any experiences like this? I've seen some other forum chains but nothing quite like this.
Science Prof

Greensburg, PA

#11 Dec 11, 2008
1. I have same experience of mileage drop from middle of 40 to upper 30's, which occured in Nov.
2. The screem MPG data is for the intervel starting on the RESET: you may reset it when youare going up to big uphill on the freeway -- you will see teens for MPG!!
3. Do not believe Dealer --....
Lola

Leesville, LA

#12 Dec 12, 2008
The best thing one can do for ultimate mpg is keep the tires aired up. Watch that pressure, especially when the weather changes. My mileage changed when I purchased new tires, for the worst, although they were the same type.
Ann

Winthrop, ME

#13 Dec 18, 2008
Jim Tourtelotte wrote:
Sudden drop in mpg: In 2004 when I bought my Prius I got 54 mpg on average,56 to 58 on the Mass Turnpike,48 to 50 in the city (less 10 percent in the colder months). When ethanol was added at the pump I dropped to a pretty consistent 50 mpg on average in the warmer months and 48 in the colder months. However in early October, which was still very warm here, milage dropped preciptously to 44 mpg on average. The dealer has no answer. Any similar experiences and answers?? Thanks.
I've been driving my 2005 Prius 45 miles each way , 5 days / week for the first 62,000 and averaging 46-51mpg summer and winter in Maine. Two months ago while the weather was still warm and I hadn't put the snow tires on yet my mileage dropped to 41mpg and now it's 39 mpg. The dealer told me this AM, after trying to pass it off on snow tires and cold weather that it's the 10% ethanol and there's nothing that can be done. Does anyone know if a better grade (higher octane) would help?
PaulBuss

United States

#14 Jan 9, 2009
Same issue. I was getting a solid 49 average MPG on a 2008 bought last winter. At the 15K service check it was like someone threw a switch. I drove out of the service bay and my MPG dropped to 38 MPG. The dealer explained about cold, warm, gas blends and every other excuse. 3 months later I'm still at 38 MPG with the engine running much more than it ever did prior to the 15K service check. Toyota offers no explanation.QUOTE who="Jim Tourtelotte"]Sudden drop in mpg: In 2004 when I bought my Prius I got 54 mpg on average,56 to 58 on the Mass Turnpike,48 to 50 in the city (less 10 percent in the colder months). When ethanol was added at the pump I dropped to a pretty consistent 50 mpg on average in the warmer months and 48 in the colder months. However in early October, which was still very warm here, milage dropped preciptously to 44 mpg on average. The dealer has no answer. Any similar experiences and answers?? Thanks.
Bob Z from Texas

Friendswood, TX

#15 Mar 12, 2012
willyboy94956 wrote:
My Prius milage dropped by 20% with the addition of four new tires. I have had an average MPG of 45 with each tank and manual reset of the odometer. The sudden drop of milage has me stumped. The tire center also did the rather minimal 70K service (oil change etc). Anyone have any experiences like this? I've seen some other forum chains but nothing quite like this.
I had the same experience with my 2008 Prius when I wore out my first set of tires around 30K miles. They didn' t have my size so put one size wider on saying that it would affect my mileage a little bit...but it actually affected mileage 10-15% right away. It was drastic. I went from consistently 50MPH around time and a little on the freeway to 43-45 or so. I'm putting on the original size tires next time. Don't know if this is what happened to you or not. Also have noticed on these blogs that it pays to inflate your tires to the max allowed on the sidewall. Trying that next to see if it helps. Good luck!
Amed

Columbus, OH

#16 Apr 5, 2013
Hey guys. don't you guys think about the life of the hybrid battery, I think that the battery power is getting less by time and as the battery power goes down the car will rely more on the engine which will lead to more gas consumption. that is my theory and i know it won't help but it might give an idea of what is going on.
Jim H

Kalamazoo, MI

#17 Apr 5, 2013
willyboy94956 wrote:
The same thing happened to me. I changed all four tires in October and specifically asked for the same tires. I had been getting 48-50 mpg but now can barely make 39 mpg. Dealer says everything checks out ok but I have the feeling that the power is being produced by the gas engine the majority of the time.
Debbie

Pekin, IL

#18 Dec 15, 2015
willyboy94956 wrote:
I just purchased my 07 Prius in April and I was also averaging about 45mpg and then last month I got 4 new tires and it has dropped down to 39mpg. I had read somewhere that said if the tires are bad that you would get less mpg so I got new ones to try and get it better but nope I'm getting worse. I have no idea what to do. I'd love to get at least 50mpg but I don't see that happening.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Multi-Diag accès I-2014, avec 23 marques et 530... Tue diyobd2 1
Tout sur multi-diag access j2534 pass-thru obd2... Tue diyobd2 1
News What's the - most-American' car available? Cars... Jul 30 princessWKYT 3
Toyota Rod Bolt Torque Jul 29 Andybaby 1
News Toyota Tacoma compact pickup selling like a ful... (Sep '12) Jul '16 Pissed 12
News Top 10 Most Economical New Cars (Sep '07) Jul '16 litesong 91
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Jul '16 Root 11,779
More from around the web