Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11775 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5668 Jul 7, 2013
The Volt is a super quiet car, even at 100 mph.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5669 Jul 7, 2013
I made this little video to demonstrate the Volt's gas tank depressurizing and pressurizing when the gas door is opened then closed.

I had forgotten about the note I put in the compartment asking the dealership not to fill my tank again.

The first (and only) time I took the car in for a routine mtc., they filled my gas tank with free gas. I had only 1.5 gallons in the tank. I try to keep it there to keep the weight off of the car. It actually knocked my electric range down by a little over 1 mile.

That was at the 7,500 mile point. Here I am at 12,500 miles and I still haven't burned off enough of that gas!!! I'm close though.

When I finally have the tank down to 1.5 gallons and I make a trip to my son's house, I'll go buy 1 gallon.

You'll notice that I put the note back in!!

What an amazing car.

future thinking dude

Downers Grove, IL

#5671 Jul 8, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Now, considering that my "35" mile electric car really gets 45-50 all day long in warmer weather and never under 36 in winter, the owners of the 2014's are really going to be happy.
They will get an official EPA rating of 41, which means they will get 50-55 all day long.
What an amazing car.
http://insideevs.com/breaking-2014-chevy-volt...
Wow,Your still useing that old fossil fuel tecnology?Im looking forward man and thats all electric man.Thats the ticket you freak show!!!!
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5672 Jul 8, 2013
It must be disappointing for the pro Volt contingent to have the news made public about all those Technical Service Bulletins applicable to the Volt.

It certainly looks like the much touted "awesome car" isn't any more "awesome" than any other car.

Interesting to note that now the news is out, just how much back pedalling the pro Volt contingent has spewed since the news was posted.

92 TSBs is no laughing matter, and it certainly has tarnished Volt's image the pro Volt contingent has worked hard at.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5674 Jul 8, 2013
RPinIllinois wrote:
Prometheus,
In the first three years of Prius sales in the United States, the Prius had 88 technical service bulletins. But of course, you wouldn't mention that, would you.
Nor would you mention the fact that the Prius was first sold in Japan for three years prior to its introduction to the United States.
Why would it be necessary to "mention" any of that information?

Volt is an EV.

The Prius you're comparing it to is not.

Comparing apples to oranges is of no consequence.

You should be comparing the Prius Plug-In model to the Volt.

The Volt is the undisputed "champ" in TSB comparisons.

Prius Plug-In isn't even close.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5676 Jul 8, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
Volt is an EV.
Let me answer.

The Prius was new technology when it came out. The Prius PHEV didn’t contain much new technology hence the difference. TSB’s are a real positive. When you see a car going through the typical stages this is a good thing. Great for the owner and great for the manufacturer as it ensures you have the latest and greatest. The code is sent via Onstar.

Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5679 Jul 8, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>Let me answer.
The Prius was new technology when it came out. The Prius PHEV didn’t contain much new technology hence the difference. TSB’s are a real positive. When you see a car going through the typical stages this is a good thing. Great for the owner and great for the manufacturer as it ensures you have the latest and greatest. The code is sent via Onstar.
Believe me,I am no stranger to TEBs. We get them daily--from any and all automakers.(they tend to be prominent in aviation too---ouch!!)
Plus we are fully aware of the causes, purposes, and benefits of TSBs.
Volt has accumulated a significant number of TSBs---92 in such a short time is a remarkable number, altho' something has to be said about its unique technology.
Yes, this proliferation of TSBs is a good thing in one way, but a revealing thing in another.
You make reference to Prius.
You and I have witnessed a huge number of anti Prius hyperbole regarding their technical glitches.
As I recall, you were a frequent participant in much of that rather ruthless vilification of Prius.
It's only reasonable to acknowledge that the "amazing car" called Volt have its day in court too.
So as far as I'm concerned, Volt has lost some of its lustre because of the huge number of TSBs.
That's all.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5680 Jul 8, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me,I am no stranger to TEBs. We get them daily--from any and all automakers.(they tend to be prominent in aviation too---ouch!!)
Volt has accumulated a significant number of TSBs---92 in such a short time is a remarkable number, altho' something has to be said about its unique technology.
Yes, this proliferation of TSBs is a good thing in one way, but a revealing thing in another.
You and I have witnessed a huge number of anti Prius hyperbole regarding their technical glitches.
As I recall, you were a frequent participant in much of that rather ruthless vilification of Prius.
It's only reasonable to acknowledge that the "amazing car" called Volt have its day in court too.
So as far as I'm concerned, Volt has lost some of its lustre because of the huge number of TSBs.
That's all.
TSB’s are good I agree.

Now on the other hand TSB’s are bad when a company like Toyota is not up front with them. That is the difference. This explains the reason Toyota was vilified, because of the way the handled it. This reminds me of the time Toyota tried to fix “hush hush” the SUA recalls. Toyota initially tried to hide it with a TSB. It's really nothing secret — it's just the "how to" for dealer techs to install a reinforcement bar behind 2.23 million Toyota accelerator pedals so beige-mobiles won't accelerate against driver intention into walls, cars, people and park benches anytime the weather conditions are right. It was the way the tried to cover the TSB they didn’t want you to know about.

Dallas, TX.

#5681 Jul 8, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all.
Prius had its day in court because Toyota broke the law, not because of a TSB. Volt has no court time. You would in all probability come out ahead and look enhanced not to fight against such an admired car. Try to find excellent things to talk about.
Prometheus

Manassas, VA

#5683 Jul 8, 2013
List of things that make leftists wet their pants.

volt
tea party
military coup
full time job
personal responsibility
sarah palin
voter ID
Now adding TSB

My panties are dripping wet.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5684 Jul 8, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>
Prius had its day in court because Toyota broke the law, not because of a TSB. Volt has no court time. You would in all probability come out ahead and look enhanced not to fight against such an admired car. Try to find excellent things to talk about.
I decided its Volt's time in court.
My decision, not yours nor anyone else's.
Just levelling the playing field.

PS--as usual, you take liberties with fact to justify.
Typical. Good news, your excuse bears no weight.
That's why the playing field needs to be levelled.

Dallas, TX.

#5685 Jul 8, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
I decided its Volt's time in court.
My decision, not yours nor anyone else's.
Just levelling the playing field.
PS--as usual, you take liberties with fact to justify.
Typical. Good news, your excuse bears no weight.
That's why the playing field needs to be levelled.
You don’t get to decide because you are irrelevant. Toyota broke the law and that’s why they were in court. I did not offer an excuse, just corrected your ignorance.

Remember you are a foreigner posting on an American board as a guest. It would be nice for you to act accordingly.
Prometheus

Manassas, VA

#5686 Jul 8, 2013
I havent been stuck like that in a long time.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9QzBhqxwfTQ/TgI8dnI...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5690 Jul 8, 2013
Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
Toyota broke the law and lied?
Yes and they were also the authors of “The TSB Toyota didn’t want you to know about.” A well documented case.

I think this is one of the reasons we see the Volt outselling the Prius plug in so massively.

Dallas, TX.

#5691 Jul 8, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
The internet is American? Shove it up your backsides, JJ.
No dumbass, the site is American.

Dallas, TX.

#5692 Jul 8, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and they were also the authors of “The TSB Toyota didn’t want you to know about.” A well documented case.
I think this is one of the reasons we see the Volt outselling the Prius plug in so massively.
Very true, the Prius PHEV is not a player in this market.
Prometheus

Manassas, VA

#5693 Jul 8, 2013
This is why I am buying a Volt. Prius has so many recalls I don't feel safe and plus I can have sex in the back.
RPinIllinois

United States

#5694 Jul 8, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
Volt is an EV.
You also said
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
But Volt has at least 4 times as many service bulletin glitches as any Prius.
The reason I mentioned it was because you continue to mention it. You made absolutely no distinction between Prius plug-in and Prius hybrid.

And the Prius plug-in is hardly a comparable car. Up to 11 miles all electric with top speed of 62 MPH is not the same as Volt's 38 miles at up to 90 MPH. They are different vehicles altogether and people can choose the one that works best for them and their situation.

You're acting as if the Prius is a perfect car (and was a perfect car at this stage in its life) while the Volt is as bad as the Edsel.

The fact that the Prius had the same number of TSB as the Prius in its first three US-production years is ignored by you because it doesn't fit your argument. You can keep saying it, but you're only denying the truth to yourself and everyone who believes you.

Maybe the Volt won't work. I just can't figure out for the life of me why people have such a vibrant distaste for the car - enough so that they will find any and every opportunity to bash it.

BTW, I am not a Volt owner.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5695 Jul 8, 2013
Took my car in for routine mtc. Asked about the service bulletins. Some are module updates that must be done at the shop. Turns out, they are routine updates. In fact, if not requested, they won't be done. What? These service bulletins updates are not required?

Wow .... it just struck me .... maybe these bulletins are a good thing?

Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5696 Jul 8, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>You don’t get to decide because you are irrelevant. Toyota broke the law and that’s why they were in court. I did not offer an excuse, just corrected your ignorance.
Remember you are a foreigner posting on an American board as a guest. It would be nice for you to act accordingly.
Irrelevant by your standards just confirms that you can't deal with reality. ergo--Pot and kettle syndrome.

General Motors broke a law as well, and ended up in court---Bankruptcy Court. A far more serious situation than Toyota's, and GM's faux pas cost taxpayers a bundle. At least Toyota paid its own freight!

My alleged "ignorance" is now trumped by yours. Tit for tat.

I am an internet user, an internet which is free to the world, on a site which by its own admission is free to the world as well.

Everyone is a guest on this site, even JJFADs, who nevrtheless acts as though he is in charge when he is not.

I act according to the rules of the site, no profanity, no vulgarity, no username cloning, etc.The rules allow wide latitude of debate and in fact encourage it. I often take opposing views because (a) it's allowed, and (b) it's often warranted by over the top hyperbole. Sue me!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2017 Chrysler Pacifica: Return of the American van Nov 29 klaus 5
News Our Opinion: Toyota's imprint grows as its succ... Nov 9 Trumped 7
News The Hybrid war: Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry Oct '16 alkapone 1
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) Oct '16 alkapone 3,114
2018 Dodge Durango Hellcat - is this the most p... Oct '16 alkapone 1
Toyota Parts South Africa (Mar '12) Sep '16 makukuclaudious 36
Toyota Repair Estimates Sep '16 CarInOrder 1
More from around the web