Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Sassafrass wrote:
My transmission in my 2002 RAV4 just started doing the same thing with 120,000 miles on it. I pulled out the ECU and sent it to Circuit Board Medics 5 days and $230 later my car runs great. Skip the shitty dealers and get it done right and for the right price
But, but, think of all the dealer's families that will go to bed hungry tonight......
Mike

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Just got my car back and it's working great!!!:-) Had to pay Toyota to get a new ECU and diagnosis. The car was still acting up, just like my personal mechanic said. I had two options after that, get a new transmission through Toyota $3000+ or renew my old transmission for about $1,200. I renewed my transmission and it's been working great. Hope this helps.
Tara

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Hi - is the class action suit still pending? How can I join? I have a 2003 rav and just found out my transmission needs to be rebuilt and ECM needs to be replaced. I am outside the enhanced warranty. I never received a notification from Toyota about the problem.
Tara

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Okay I just figured out the enhanced warranty was the result of the class action suit. Okay so AAMCO recommended rebuilding the transmission and replacing the ECM for an estimated $2700-3500. I've got the 2003 Rav with 157K. Anyone have suggestions? Should I get the ECM from Toyota?
Mike

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Tara wrote:
Okay I just figured out the enhanced warranty was the result of the class action suit. Okay so AAMCO recommended rebuilding the transmission and replacing the ECM for an estimated $2700-3500. I've got the 2003 Rav with 157K. Anyone have suggestions? Should I get the ECM from Toyota?
Hi Tara, I own a Toyota RAV4 2003 and had the same choices. After visiting 5 different mechanics to find out what was wrong, including Toyota dealer, and spending unnecessary amounts, I decided to renew my transmission instead of getting a new one. My car is working great now. I had to replace the ECM and renew the transmission and came to about $2,500 for both things.
Linda in Phila

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Tara wrote:
I paid $1000 for the ECM from Toyota(which I would recommend)and $3500 to Aamco for the transmission. My car only had 75,000 miles on it and it was in great condition(i took care of it from day one). let us know how things work out.
Linda in Phila

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Tara, I own a Toyota RAV4 2003 and had the same choices. After visiting 5 different mechanics to find out what was wrong, including Toyota dealer, and spending unnecessary amounts, I decided to renew my transmission instead of getting a new one. My car is working great now. I had to replace the ECM and renew the transmission and came to about $2,500 for both things.
You were lucky - that was very cheap and reasonable. i hope things work out for you.
Mike

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Linda in Phila wrote:
<quoted text>
You were lucky - that was very cheap and reasonable. i hope things work out for you.
Thanks Linda
Tara

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Mike! I dropped off my car at Aamco to have to transmission rebuilt and the ECM replaced. Hopefully that will resolve the issue. I've been in contact with Toyota HQ and am waiting a call back to discuss possible reimbursement. Who knows maybe they will spilt the ECM cost 50%.
Tara

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

Linda in Phila wrote:
<quoted text>
I paid $1000 for the ECM from Toyota(which I would recommend)and $3500 to Aamco for the transmission. My car only had 75,000 miles on it and it was in great condition(i took care of it from day one). let us know how things work out.
Hi Linda - Thanks for the information. Aamco is rebuilding the transmission and I'm getting the ECM from them, it's a refurbished Toyota one, which was the cheaper option. I should have my car back within a week so hopefully everything will be working great. Thanks again!
Tara

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Hi All -

So I had my transmission rebuilt and the ECM replaced for $3400. I got the car back today and it is still doing the "hard shift" while I am driving and when I shift into drive. I spoke with Aamco and they informed me that it can take 200-300 miles for the ECM to "re-learn." Has anyone had a similar experience? From previous posts I've read it seems most cars were good as new after it was replaced.
Amaco basically rebuilt the whole transmission so I'm worried that if the ECM is firing improperly it is going to damage the transmission all over again. Thanks for any input.
Linda in Phila

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2013

Tara wrote:
Hi All -
So I had my transmission rebuilt and the ECM replaced for $3400. I got the car back today and it is still doing the "hard shift" while I am driving and when I shift into drive. I spoke with Aamco and they informed me that it can take 200-300 miles for the ECM to "re-learn." Has anyone had a similar experience? From previous posts I've read it seems most cars were good as new after it was replaced.
Amaco basically rebuilt the whole transmission so I'm worried that if the ECM is firing improperly it is going to damage the transmission all over again. Thanks for any input.
Tara: AAmoco told me the same thing. I had a little bit of hard shifting in the beginning but it did resolve. Good Luck. I hope things end up working out for you. Let us know what happens.
liner

Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

Tara wrote:
Hi All -
Since Aamco is guaranteeing your transmission, I would do exactly as they say.
Samson

San Jacinto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Linda in Phila wrote:
<quoted text>
Tara: AAmoco told me the same thing. I had a little bit of hard shifting in the beginning but it did resolve. Good Luck. I hope things end up working out for you. Let us know what happens.
Tara
I have plans to do the same and please let me know your outcome after testing it for a while. By the way, we are in the same area.
Martie Rudd

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

I have a 2003 Toyota Rav4 and have had multiple car problems...had a total engine replacement in 2007. Was driving and the engine "ate itself" - local Toyota dealership charged me $8000 to fix it. Then in 2011 was having shifting problems and had a transmission replaced. Now, a little over a year later, am having the same problems. Really tired of this....have loved Toyota products in the past, but not happy with this - and have had not recall notices ever - and the local dealership is fully aware of my address and phone numbers.
Martie Rudd

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Tara, I had my transmission replaced in April of 2011 for the same reason. A week later, it was back in the shop for the same thing - not shifting properly. I was told the second time around that it was a computer chip that had to be replaced. A little over a year later, I'm having the same problem.
liner

Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Martie Rudd wrote:
I have a 2003 Toyota Rav4 and have had multiple car problems...had a total engine replacement in 2007. Was driving and the engine "ate itself" - local Toyota dealership charged me $8000 to fix it. Then in 2011 was having shifting problems and had a transmission replaced. Now, a little over a year later, am having the same problems. Really tired of this....have loved Toyota products in the past, but not happy with this - and have had not recall notices ever - and the local dealership is fully aware of my address and phone numbers.
Your car had a 5 year/60K mile drivetrain warranty. Were you over the mileage? Total engine failures are very rare these days and are usually(not always) caused by poor/no maintenance.
Korianto

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

These problems are never ending -

Back on March 17, 2001 my husband and I bought TWO 2001 RAV4 as a package deal. Both were All wheel drive, and both cars were Limited versions. The only difference was that mine had the sunroof, and was manufactured three months later.

Fast forward to May of this year. Dan's car has 154,000. He commuted to work and had always done routing recommended Toyota Maintenance on his RAV4. While coming up the hill to our home, his car had trouble shifting into second gear. After that, his car began to have trouble shifting just about all the time. We brought it to Toyota and they told us the Transmission needed replacement. Total cost of everything: about $6k. WFT???

So we thought it really wasn't worth it because of everything we had read online - all the problems with the control unit and all. So we asked about trade in value - they told us about $2,000. We shopped around - trying out many small SUVs, including the new RAV4. We finally narrowed it down to the RAV4 and the Mazda CX-5 - and eventually bought the Mazda (better overall value and fit). They even gave us the $2k trade in value, knowing the car's tranny was bad.

Now with the new car, we decided to use the new one for long trips and my RAV4, with only 104,000 miles on it, for local trips.

Three months later - Dan's driving home and goes up our hill in my RAV4. It has trouble getting into second gear. That happened on Sunday. These past two days, well on Monday it was shifting rough sometimes between 1 and 2nd, but today it was fine. But we know the transmission is going.

I for one think it's really an odd coincidence that both of our car's transmissions have gone bad within three months time - and the fact that one car was manufactured three months before the other. What I'd like to find out is the time period of when the supposedly new ECMs were put in our cars.

What will I do? Not sure - my car only has 104,000. It still hasn't been confirmed the transmission if going. I can afford a new car, but I don't know what kind of trade in value I'd get, especially if the transmission was bad on the day the dealership Trade Rep tested it. Will I get another RAV4? Don't think so. I don't like the way they treated all of us about this issue. Too many transmissions on this model have gone bad. We all know its the bad ECM (bad, bad), and we all know how Toyota reacted.

Korianto
helen rein

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

it is too late for me had two rav trans go. After the fact I found out about the class action suit in florida. I started this forum, their is a copy of the class action suit on this forum. Copy it and go to the manager. Everyone is waiting for one in New Jersey. Sorry for your troubles, I have a rav now two more years till I pay it off, hope it lasts, will never buy a toyota again.
Linda in Phila

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

After having Aamco rebuild the tranny,I sold the Rav to my sister (who drives very little)and the Rav should last another 7 yrs or so (only 100,000 miles on it) I would never buy another Toyota, because of all the problems and they offered me only $500 towards a new Toyota.I went and bought a Honda CRV,and although a little pricey, I love it!!!! And every day, I hear about another recall of a Toyota.They are definitely not the car company they used to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••