class action filed: '01-'03 rav4 tran...
MNF

Providence, RI

#247 Sep 7, 2012
Had 2 different mechanics check my car. The first, without even seeing my car, immediately said my transmission is bad and will need to restore it or buy a new transmission for at least $2300. The second mechanic said it's code P1135 which means there could be a problem with the sensors or the vaccum wires which cost less than $250 to fix and he's willing to do replace them for me for free. I would just have to buy the parts..

I don't know what to do :-( I am so broke and the only one working at home and no savings. Every penny counts.

I called the dealler where I purchased the car and they are washing their hands off this issue and I called the bank where my auto loan is managed and the only thing they said is "you still have to pay the remaining balance of te car." What a disaster.

Worst part is that my job requires a vehicle!!!

I read the first few pages from the beginning and the end of this forum and will try to contact Toyota tomorrow. I hope I can get help.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#248 Sep 10, 2012
MNF wrote:
Had 2 different mechanics check my car. The first, without even seeing my car, immediately said my transmission is bad and will need to restore it or buy a new transmission for at least $2300. The second mechanic said it's code P1135 which means there could be a problem with the sensors or the vaccum wires which cost less than $250 to fix and he's willing to do replace them for me for free. I would just have to buy the parts..
I don't know what to do :-( I am so broke and the only one working at home and no savings. Every penny counts.
I called the dealler where I purchased the car and they are washing their hands off this issue and I called the bank where my auto loan is managed and the only thing they said is "you still have to pay the remaining balance of te car." What a disaster.
Worst part is that my job requires a vehicle!!!
I read the first few pages from the beginning and the end of this forum and will try to contact Toyota tomorrow. I hope I can get help.
Go with door #2. What do you have to lose?
MNF

Providence, RI

#249 Sep 10, 2012
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Go with door #2. What do you have to lose?
Thanks for the support. So here's an update. I decided to go with the second mechanic in order to avoid spending $2300 that the first mechanic was chariging. I had to go to Autozone to purchase an 02 Sensor, an oil filter and some oil (totalled almost $300). Autozone gave me the wrong sensor, but they didn't charge me for the new one. After replacing the sensor with the new one, another sensor showed problems. Now I am waiting to see if my car is going to survive or not.

At this point, if this doesn't work, I will be screwed :-\ and pennyless.
Cathy

Paradise, Canada

#250 Sep 14, 2012
Problems with my transmission Rava 2007... Transmission is on the way out.
helen rein

Newark, NJ

#251 Sep 14, 2012
Good luck everyone, my heart and pocketbook are with you. I commute 3 hours a day and am nervous it will just go crazy like my last room that gave me no warning the trans was going my car in a snow storm went all over a high way, it was a miracle I did not kill someone or my self.
marsha

Cleveland, OH

#252 Sep 14, 2012
Tranny on my '03 Rav 4 was slipping yesterday. I took it to mechanic today, they explained what was happening, stating what all of you have said from day 1. Toyota knew about this, but isn't doing anything about it. He said it would cost about $1,100 to fix. Not puting that kind of money into a 9 yr. old car. Going shopping this weekend for a new car before the Rav is totally shot. Not even 77,000 mi. yet :(
Phil

West Chester, PA

#253 Sep 24, 2012
marsha wrote:
Tranny on my '03 Rav 4 was slipping yesterday. I took it to mechanic today, they explained what was happening, stating what all of you have said from day 1. Toyota knew about this, but isn't doing anything about it. He said it would cost about $1,100 to fix. Not puting that kind of money into a 9 yr. old car. Going shopping this weekend for a new car before the Rav is totally shot. Not even 77,000 mi. yet :(
$1,100 to fix is MUCH less than you would pay to buy a 2003 RAV4 with 77,000 miles on it. Think $10,000+. The rest of the car is extremely reliable so if that is your only problem, fix it. Much more cost effective.
helen rein

Newark, NJ

#254 Sep 28, 2012
Fix it, I bought another Rav the trans was bad when I picked it up (certified used car) they gave me a new trans, but I should just fixed my old one, I did not have a car loan, now I do.
Dave Simms

Rochester, MI

#255 Oct 4, 2012
I just had my rav4 ecm problem fixed at http://www.ecmoutlet.com/rav4-ecm.html They replaced it and reprogrammed the new unit for $475.00. The part number they replaced mine with is 89661-42812 My rav4 is now shifting fine and the transmission did not have to be replaced.
MNF

Providence, RI

#256 Oct 4, 2012
MNF wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the support. So here's an update. I decided to go with the second mechanic in order to avoid spending $2300 that the first mechanic was chariging. I had to go to Autozone to purchase an 02 Sensor, an oil filter and some oil (totalled almost $300). Autozone gave me the wrong sensor, but they didn't charge me for the new one. After replacing the sensor with the new one, another sensor showed problems. Now I am waiting to see if my car is going to survive or not.
At this point, if this doesn't work, I will be screwed :-\ and pennyless.
Ok, so here is an update. I basically went with the getting two new censors option and spent almost $500. The car drove fine for about a day and then it started acting up again. Every time I would accelerate, it felt as if I was inside a rock on a slingshot that was being pulled back and about to be catapulted. It was so scary. It restarted acting up when I had to leave work. I prayed like never before on that highway. Every time I had to stop was dreadful.

I had to start driving my dad's car, JEEP Cherokee from '98. This car is older than the Big Bang, and it was the car I learned how to drive in.

This Monday something amazing happened with my car!!! While at work with my dad's car, my stayed home with my car. My dad's a pastor, so he did what he does best, pray. He prayed over the car and when tried to reverse and move my car from the driveway into the garage, he heard a huge "CLANK" sound. It was the same sound I heard the night my car started acting up, but this time the sound was not as if something broke, but rather as if something got into place. The engine light sign disappeared and my car is driving normal again.

I literally cried and screamed, because I was about to lose my job, my house, everything. Thank God my car is ok for now. I started saving some money in case of another RAV4 wrath attack LOL
aisha

Denver, CO

#257 Oct 9, 2012
I just bought my car from a dealer in cheyenne wyoming a year ago used... i put a warrenty on it covering 24 months or 24000 miles i am over my warrenty now by 65 miles. I experienced the same thing my car has ran perfect since i bought it which i was not informed of any of these problems. Then all the sudden on my way to work my car seemed like it was in neutral all the sudden and then started jerking till it finally got into gear. I was told it was the ecm that could have started messing up my transmission i got an estimate of 4200 just to fix it.... What should i do?
aisha

Denver, CO

#258 Oct 9, 2012
MNF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so here is an update. I basically went with the getting two new censors option and spent almost $500. The car drove fine for about a day and then it started acting up again. Every time I would accelerate, it felt as if I was inside a rock on a slingshot that was being pulled back and about to be catapulted. It was so scary. It restarted acting up when I had to leave work. I prayed like never before on that highway. Every time I had to stop was dreadful.
I had to start driving my dad's car, JEEP Cherokee from '98. This car is older than the Big Bang, and it was the car I learned how to drive in.
This Monday something amazing happened with my car!!! While at work with my dad's car, my stayed home with my car. My dad's a pastor, so he did what he does best, pray. He prayed over the car and when tried to reverse and move my car from the driveway into the garage, he heard a huge "CLANK" sound. It was the same sound I heard the night my car started acting up, but this time the sound was not as if something broke, but rather as if something got into place. The engine light sign disappeared and my car is driving normal again.
I literally cried and screamed, because I was about to lose my job, my house, everything. Thank God my car is ok for now. I started saving some money in case of another RAV4 wrath attack LOL
Its so scary to drive ive been so scared to even drive the car for fear of being hit.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#259 Oct 10, 2012
aisha wrote:
I just bought my car from a dealer in cheyenne wyoming a year ago used... i put a warrenty on it covering 24 months or 24000 miles i am over my warrenty now by 65 miles. I experienced the same thing my car has ran perfect since i bought it which i was not informed of any of these problems. Then all the sudden on my way to work my car seemed like it was in neutral all the sudden and then started jerking till it finally got into gear. I was told it was the ecm that could have started messing up my transmission i got an estimate of 4200 just to fix it.... What should i do?
If your warranty is from Toyota and it's really only 65 miles over, you might have some argument to have them cover at least something. Make lots of (polite) noise to Toyota and see what happens. If you got a "third party" warranty, forget it, they won't want to know you.
rachel

East Stroudsburg, PA

#260 Oct 25, 2012
Had the same problem found a company online to reprogram it for 65.00 problem free 2 yrs later. No thanks to Toyota who wanted 4,000 to replace transmition.good luck._
helen rein

Newark, NJ

#261 Oct 25, 2012
Good for you Rachel, I just bought 4 new tires, tire light keeps going on, now their is a recall that my back tire bults can rust and my tire will fall off. I called them, they are not ready with the parts, told them if I have an accident I am going to own that dealership.
Andrea

Oakland, CA

#262 Oct 25, 2012
So, my Mom has a 2001 Rav4...Toyota has told them that it i a bad ecm and they need to replace the tranny. Toyota claims that mailing for a recall repair were sent out....I am positive my Mom never got one, she is pretty rigid when it comes to her vehicles..dealer only for service & oil changes.
Any way...long story short, they are 1 year out of warranty and Toyota has tod them hey ave to pay to replace the tranny an try to submit the paid bill to the class action law suit...the catch, ithas to be repaired by a facility authorized by Toyota! My parents need this veicle and need to have it fixed but, they just don't have the money. This sucks!:(
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#263 Oct 25, 2012
helen rein wrote:
Good for you Rachel, I just bought 4 new tires, tire light keeps going on, now their is a recall that my back tire bults can rust and my tire will fall off. I called them, they are not ready with the parts, told them if I have an accident I am going to own that dealership.
TPMS is an easy fix, bring it back to the tire place where you bought them. The recall is only if you had a rear wheel alignment. The bolts might not have been tightened properly. If you haven't had a rear wheel alignment, you have nothing to worry about. You can still have the dealer inspect the bolts if you're worried about it.
Greg Canada

Harbour Grace, Canada

#264 Oct 29, 2012
Does anybody know if anything is being done of a lawsuit north of the border? We here in Canada are experiencing the same heartache and disapointment with Toyota. Thanks
Linda in Phila

Philadelphia, PA

#265 Oct 30, 2012
Greg Canada.I am not sure another lawsuit would solve anything.When I found out about the initial class action suit, I called the attorney in Calif. The class action suit was settled and Toyota agreed to extend the ECM/tranny warranty on the Rav4 to 10 yrs or 100,000 miles. The 10 year deal was what got me. I only had 75,000 miles on my car but I was 8 months over the 10 year extension. My guy at AAMCO had even checked it out for me prior to me calling attorney.I ended up paying $4400 total for a new ECM and rebuilt tranny. If you find out anything else,we would be interested to hear it.BTW, no one ever notified the Rav4 owners about the lawsuit and settlement in case of future problems. It was only after I had problems and it was too late to do anything about it.
Chuck

Marshfield, MA

#266 Nov 24, 2012
I'm having the ame problem with my 2008 RAV4's transmission Has there been any class action or legal action taken in the later madel RAV4's 2006-2007-2008-2009??? The internet is full of similar complaints. Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt vs. Toyota Prius Plug-In: How Do The... (May '14) 21 hr Solarman 72
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) May 29 jmahann 3,091
Downeast Toyota Toyotas sudden Acceleration Fix... (Mar '13) May 27 Steve7 34
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) May 26 iluvmyVolt 10,484
Downest Toyota toyota camry Transmission proble... (Jan '13) May 25 Anon 32
News Itís a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) May 25 Francene 1,152
News From hybrids to SUVs, unsold cars pile up in U.S. (Dec '08) May 24 ron 12
More from around the web