Fresno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Judged:

A CLASS ACTION complaint on the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4 TRANSMISSION / ECM PROBLEM WAS FILED ON Nov. 17, 2009.

Here’s the link. MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON THE ICON ON THE LINKED PAGE TO READ THE CLASS ACTION in its entirety:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/11/19/Toyo... - nia.htm

Courthouse News Service
Thursday, November 19, 2009

Toyota Faces 2 Class Actions in California

“Toyota knew its 2001-2003 RAV4 sports utility vehicles have “a dangerous safety defect that causes the engine control modules and/or automatic transmissions to fail prematurely,” but sold them anyway and won’t repair or replace them, a class action claims in San Francisco Federal Court. Another class action, in L.A. Federal Court, says Toyota concealed a dangerously defective throttle control system in its 2001 Lexus and 2002-03 Lexus and Camrys.”

The complaint lists four attorneys for the plaintiffs, and their contact information.

Let’s hope for the best.

-David
(I had the same transmission/ ECM problem.)
Mary

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Is there a class action suit against Toyota for the transmission problems? If so, please post a link as the link above does not work.
Tom

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2010

Here's the link

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/11/19/Toyo...

Tom (owner of a 2002 RAV4 that hasn't failed ... yet).
ava

Englishtown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2010

Tom wrote:
Here's the link
http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/11/19/Toyo...
Tom (owner of a 2002 RAV4 that hasn't failed ... yet).
Does another class action suit need to be filed for the people on the east coast?
What would I have to do?
Michelle

Landenberg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

I am wondering the same thing. My 2003 RAV4 Transmission just had to be replaced for the same problems.... cost was 4K + I'm also on the east coast.
ava

Englishtown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Michelle wrote:
I am wondering the same thing. My 2003 RAV4 Transmission just had to be replaced for the same problems.... cost was 4K + I'm also on the east coast.
That was how much my rebuilt transmission was for my RAV 2003 !!

Hopefully we can find out about a class action suit real soon.
Michelle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Ava - Follow Tom's link and save a copy of the class action lawsuit that was filed 11/17/09. I spoke with the lawyer (from CA) involved and it is a nationwide class suit, so you can get involved, but they are just in the discovery phase right now and are looking for more people with the trans problems. I contacted the first lawyer (the one that signed the filed suit) just to get more information. I'd suggest you do the same. They are going to try to get a recall/reinbursement but it will take some time. However, it's at least an avenue to pursue.
ava

Englishtown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Michelle wrote:
Ava - Follow Tom's link and save a copy of the class action lawsuit that was filed 11/17/09. I spoke with the lawyer (from CA) involved and it is a nationwide class suit, so you can get involved, but they are just in the discovery phase right now and are looking for more people with the trans problems. I contacted the first lawyer (the one that signed the filed suit) just to get more information. I'd suggest you do the same. They are going to try to get a recall/reinbursement but it will take some time. However, it's at least an avenue to pursue.
Thanks Michelle...I will do that...good luck to us all!
Chris

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

Yesterday driving home the transmission went out on my '02 Rav4. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-03 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 72,000 miles.
Found out later that I'm covered by a 'Federal Emissions Warranty' mandated by the government. Called Toyota back and low and behold yes, I am covered after all, but only for the ECM and not the transmission. How ridiculous is that? You don't know you have a bad ECM until the transmission goes. I also found online that Toyota will not replace the ECM unless you're having transmission issues. By then it's too late to save the transmission.
I took it to my own mechanic and am waiting for his findings and costs. In other posts, seemingly knowledgeable mechanics wrote that an entire transmission is not necessary, that it probably only requires replacement of main gears and/or the Direct Clutch.
Viki

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2010

how do you join the class action?
ava

Englishtown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2010

Viki wrote:
how do you join the class action?
Viki...just go to Tom's (from Parker Colo)link and it will list the names of the lawyers...call one of them and add your name to the list.
Ska-T

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Judged:

I'm just reading about this problem tonight. From what I've picked up, the original ECM was poorly designed, circuits fail, and that leads to transmission problems. If your transmission isn't damaged yet and you can't get the ECM replaced under warranty, then it may be cost effective to have the ECM repaired. Supposedly the repair shop "Check Engine, Etc" invented the fix and will do it for about $250. You mail your ECM to them, they fix it and mail it back to you.
http://www.rav4ecm.net/default.htm
(Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Check Engine, Etc. I've only read about them.)
Susan

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

my check engine light was on and Toyota had a recall on it so i had it fixed and then was told if it came back on I was looking at more bigger problems when i asked like what then told me my transmission well they were right but don't have the money to replace it my car gets to and back from work with lots of pray and hopping that this class action law suit goes though at least meet me some what half way
Susan

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

Judged:

when i did finally got an assessment on my transmission they called my Toyota a disposable car because the cost of what the transmission would cost
Caroline Wong

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

I am the owner of a 2003 Toyota Rav 4 and my transmission went out this week. Like others I was initially told that it would be over $4000. I am beginning the process that others seem to be pursuing and would appreciate any assistance. What is the status of the class action suit? Can I join the suit or do I need to start another, etc. Any advice?
Many thanks,
David S wrote:
A CLASS ACTION complaint on the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4 TRANSMISSION / ECM PROBLEM WAS FILED ON Nov. 17, 2009.
Here’s the link. MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON THE ICON ON THE LINKED PAGE TO READ THE CLASS ACTION in its entirety:
http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/11/19/Toyo... - nia.htm
Courthouse News Service
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Toyota Faces 2 Class Actions in California
“Toyota knew its 2001-2003 RAV4 sports utility vehicles have “a dangerous safety defect that causes the engine control modules and/or automatic transmissions to fail prematurely,” but sold them anyway and won’t repair or replace them, a class action claims in San Francisco Federal Court. Another class action, in L.A. Federal Court, says Toyota concealed a dangerously defective throttle control system in its 2001 Lexus and 2002-03 Lexus and Camrys.”
The complaint lists four attorneys for the plaintiffs, and their contact information.
Let’s hope for the best.
-David
(I had the same transmission/ ECM problem.)
Diane

Glens Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

I'm having the same problem with my 01 RAV4. I'm going to have to cancel my Summer vacation to get the $$ for a transmission! Has anyone had any luck repairing the trans and not getting it replaced? Is that possible? I plan on contacting the CA attorneys tomorrow.\

Susan-I had the check engine problem too. That was a recall in my case.(CO ditector)
Bob

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

Lawsuits will be the only way to get Toyota to pay. They won't admit when they screwed up. And to think people still buy them. Makes you wonder who is screwed up the most. Toyota or the people who buy them. LMAO!!!
liner

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

Bob wrote:
Lawsuits will be the only way to get Toyota to pay. They won't admit when they screwed up. And to think people still buy them. Makes you wonder who is screwed up the most. Toyota or the people who buy them. LMAO!!!
Don't get yourself trapped in the "they're all stupid except me" thing. It tends to backfire on you.
Donna

Chattanooga, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2010

My car just turned over 75000 miles and my transmission has gone out. I am now having it replaced at a cost of $3900.00. How can I be updated regarding the class action law suit against toyota? I would appreciate any imput.Thanks
Chattanooga, tn
jen

Manchester, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Just Called the CA lawyer listed in Tom's link. My 02 just started having this problem a month or so ago...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) Aug 20 Paradigm 3,050
Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Aug 19 Pull the Plug 9,217
Toyota Georgetown, KY plant creates 750 new job... (May '13) Aug 13 supertrucker 7
TMZ "Reporters" Call Sarah Palin a "Bad Mom" an... Aug 3 Failin Palin 4
The new F150 sucks heres why (Apr '08) Aug 3 liner 40
Lieu measure bans Assembly from buying foreign ... (Feb '10) Aug 3 Kung Fu Daddy 27
RAV4 warning lights (Nov '07) Jul '14 Caryn 139

Search the Toyota Forum:

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••