Toyota recall January 2010: Is your c...

Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do

There are 23 comments on the www.csmonitor.com story from Jan 22, 2010, titled Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do. In it, www.csmonitor.com reports that:

If ever the accelerator does stick, brake firmly and steadily -- no pumping -- and steer the car to the nearest safe location, Toyota says. Turn the engine off and contact a Toyota dealer

Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do. Although formal letters about the January 2010 Toyota recall are weeks away, owners can take certain steps now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.csmonitor.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
killer toyotas

Powder Springs, GA

#22 Jan 24, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
How would anyone know how many feet the driver had on the brake pedal, or how hard he pressed on it? All I know is what I tried on my own Toyota and I'm satisfied I could stop it if I had to.
This incident was certainly a tragedy, but I think there is much more to be learned about what exactly happened. And maybe we never will.
The car supposedly had thick rubber floor mats on top of the factory carpeted mats. Is it possible they bunched up enough so that it not only interfered with the gas pedal, but also prevented the brake pedal from being pressed down enough?
The driver was on the phone with 911. He told them he had both feet on the brake pedal and the throttle had accelerated out of control. The 911 operator heard the crash that killed all occupants of the car.
Toyota has admitted there is a problem and they are working on it. Some of these same instances with Toyotas were happening 6 years ago. The floor mats were only part of the problem. The throttles on the problem Toyotas are now being redesigned.

Since: Dec 09

Marquette, MI

#23 Jan 24, 2010
Killer,

The brother of the driver, who was in the back seat, was the 911 caller. Other than that your are correct with your post. I own 3 Toyota's and I love Toyota, but even I am reasonable enough (unlike several posters you'll find on these forums) to know that it is more throttle, either Software or design, than it is floor mats. I will accept that maybe 25% of all incidents are floor mat related, but that leaves 75% that are something else.

I hope for Toyota's sake they figure it out, otherwise as much as I love them, my next purchase could be a Ford.
John

Avondale, Canada

#24 Jan 27, 2010
Fatalities wrote:
<quoted text>Several people have been killed in these Toyotas. At highway speed the brakes won't slow the car with the engine stuck at full acceleration. Cutting the engine off kills the power steering and power brakes.
These cars are death traps.
You.. are an idiot. There has been no fatalities related to this recall. None. Not even so much as an injury has resulted from the sticky gas pedals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carola MI no auto locks Thu Cclisamona 1
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Jun 19 Root Exposed 11,773
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) Jun 3 Hannah 3,130
News China's Buick Velite 5 is a Volt with a nose job Jun 1 Over Priced Cruze 4
2003 Prius - Steering Wheel Vibrates (Oct '07) May '17 Bobbi 16
News Woman accused of leading CHP on drunken birthda... May '17 Birds Landing Bob 1
Tout sur multi-diag access j2534 pass-thru obd2... (Aug '16) Apr '17 diyobd2 2
More from around the web