Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do

Jan 22, 2010 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.csmonitor.com

If ever the accelerator does stick, brake firmly and steadily -- no pumping -- and steer the car to the nearest safe location, Toyota says. Turn the engine off and contact a Toyota dealer

Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do. Although formal letters about the January 2010 Toyota recall are weeks away, owners can take certain steps now.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 23 of23
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
killer toyotas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

liner wrote:
<quoted text>
How would anyone know how many feet the driver had on the brake pedal, or how hard he pressed on it? All I know is what I tried on my own Toyota and I'm satisfied I could stop it if I had to.
This incident was certainly a tragedy, but I think there is much more to be learned about what exactly happened. And maybe we never will.
The car supposedly had thick rubber floor mats on top of the factory carpeted mats. Is it possible they bunched up enough so that it not only interfered with the gas pedal, but also prevented the brake pedal from being pressed down enough?
The driver was on the phone with 911. He told them he had both feet on the brake pedal and the throttle had accelerated out of control. The 911 operator heard the crash that killed all occupants of the car.
Toyota has admitted there is a problem and they are working on it. Some of these same instances with Toyotas were happening 6 years ago. The floor mats were only part of the problem. The throttles on the problem Toyotas are now being redesigned.

Since: Dec 09

Ishpeming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

Judged:

Killer,

The brother of the driver, who was in the back seat, was the 911 caller. Other than that your are correct with your post. I own 3 Toyota's and I love Toyota, but even I am reasonable enough (unlike several posters you'll find on these forums) to know that it is more throttle, either Software or design, than it is floor mats. I will accept that maybe 25% of all incidents are floor mat related, but that leaves 75% that are something else.

I hope for Toyota's sake they figure it out, otherwise as much as I love them, my next purchase could be a Ford.
John

Carbonear, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

Judged:

Fatalities wrote:
<quoted text>Several people have been killed in these Toyotas. At highway speed the brakes won't slow the car with the engine stuck at full acceleration. Cutting the engine off kills the power steering and power brakes.
These cars are death traps.
You.. are an idiot. There has been no fatalities related to this recall. None. Not even so much as an injury has resulted from the sticky gas pedals.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 23 of23
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••