Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do

There are 20 comments on the www.csmonitor.com story from Jan 22, 2010, titled Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do. In it, www.csmonitor.com reports that:

If ever the accelerator does stick, brake firmly and steadily -- no pumping -- and steer the car to the nearest safe location, Toyota says. Turn the engine off and contact a Toyota dealer

Toyota recall January 2010: Is your car on the list? Here's what to do. Although formal letters about the January 2010 Toyota recall are weeks away, owners can take certain steps now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.csmonitor.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Unsafe vehicles

United States

#1 Jan 22, 2010
Toyota tops the safety and defect recall lists year after year.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#2 Jan 22, 2010
Unsafe vehicles wrote:
Toyota tops the safety and defect recall lists year after year.
Really? How many years?

Since: Dec 09

Marquette, MI

#3 Jan 22, 2010
I have two on the list. 08 Camry and 10 Corolla. Surpringly I really don't care.

I guess I am not the panic type person that believes in mass hysteria in things like this.

I don't worry about terrorist attacks, I am not worried about our economy, I am not worried about the recalls.

I do admit that I am worried that my fav hockey team won't make the playoffs. Now that is important.
Johanson

Salem, OR

#4 Jan 22, 2010
It's all President Bush's fault.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#5 Jan 22, 2010
eskymi wrote:
I have two on the list. 08 Camry and 10 Corolla. Surpringly I really don't care.
I guess I am not the panic type person that believes in mass hysteria in things like this.
I don't worry about terrorist attacks, I am not worried about our economy, I am not worried about the recalls.
I do admit that I am worried that my fav hockey team won't make the playoffs. Now that is important.
May I have some of your blood, please?

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#6 Jan 22, 2010
Toyota recall !!!!!!!!

They are complete JUNK!
Nothing New

Pulaski, TN

#7 Jan 22, 2010
3 things you won't find in these type stories.

If this happens:

1. Hit the brakes.

2. Immediately shift to neutral.

3. Turn off the key.

Duh!

Problem solved, no wrecks, no one dies, just call a tow truck.
mebuttt itchink

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#8 Jan 22, 2010
Vance1 wrote:
Toyota recall !!!!!!!!
They are complete JUNK!
Toyada is old now lexus!!!:-ooooh, y drive if U can fly lik de Eagle?:)
Fatalities

United States

#9 Jan 22, 2010
Nothing New wrote:
If this happens:
1. Hit the brakes.
3. Turn off the key.
Duh!
Several people have been killed in these Toyotas. At highway speed the brakes won't slow the car with the engine stuck at full acceleration. Cutting the engine off kills the power steering and power brakes.
These cars are death traps.

Escanaba, MI

#10 Jan 22, 2010
Nothing New wrote:
If this happens:
1. Hit the brakes.
3. Turn off the key.
Duh!
That is what I did when my AMERICAN BUILT FORD PRODUCT a MERCURY COUGAR did this same thing several times. Of course that was 15 years ago, and it was a cable, but same results, it stuck, I went zoom and I shifted into neutral, braked, stopped car, shut it off, popped hood, loosened the throttle, warmed it up and drove on.

I didn't feel it necessary to contact ABC, or put my story on the NHTSA website. Or cry and say, "What if my family were in the car when it happened? We could have died...."

As with anything story it's all in how you word it and spin it. Regardless of what side you are on.

Here's how you can spin anything....I once fell off a 50 foot ladder...sounds terrible doesn't it....yeah, I was on the 2nd wrung, so I feel about 1 foot....but I could have died, had I landed on my neck and snapped it.
Sneak Attack

United States

#11 Jan 23, 2010
Toyota has closed its truck plant in California putting 4,500 Americans out of work. Production is transferred back to Japan and to Canada. None of these workers qualify for their promised pensions. Toyota has long been accused of planning US plant shutdowns before workers reach retirement eligibility. That's how the Japanese retain their cost advantage. US manufacturers pay hundreds of thousands of retirees as promised. The Japanese have abandoned their US workers en masse.
Johanson

Salem, OR

#12 Jan 23, 2010
Nothing New wrote:
If this happens:
1. Hit the brakes.
3. Turn off the key.
Duh!
If we did that, who could we sue afterwards?

Escanaba, MI

#13 Jan 23, 2010
Johanson wrote:
<quoted text>
If we did that, who could we sue afterwards?
That is funny as that is a major problem with the US...LAWYERS. People sue way too much for so much frivolous stuff. The US motto "no matter what I do wrong, it's YOUR fault...."
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#14 Jan 23, 2010
Fatalities wrote:
<quoted text>Several people have been killed in these Toyotas. At highway speed the brakes won't slow the car with the engine stuck at full acceleration. Cutting the engine off kills the power steering and power brakes.
These cars are death traps.
Your's is an interesting post. Before the internet, people such as yourself, never used to get hysterical over everything they read, whether or not it was true. That's not the case anymore. I own a recent model Camry and thank heavens, I haven't experienced the gas pedal sticking. I change the oil every 4K, so no sludge problem. My rear speaker grilles seem to be fine. Throttle body seems OK. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know. Only problem so far is the engine light comes on if my wife doesn't put the gas cap on tight. I tighten it up and a few days later the light goes off. At any rate, my factory floormats are held by the factory clip, so they don't bunch up under the gas pedal. I've never put thick rubber mats on top of the regular mats and why would you? Thinking about this the other day while going to work, I was doing 65, not much traffic, I kept my foot on the gas and hit the brakes firmly. Guess what happened? The car slowed down, fast. And it would have come to a complete stop if I had kept braking. So as far as I'm concerned, my car can't outrun it's brakes.
If you were to shut off your engine while driving, you don't "lose" your steering and brakes. They certainly will get much harder--I wouldn't want to park the car like that--but you can still safely steer to the side of the road and your brakes will still slow the car. Then there's always the emergency brake.
I wish people would use there heads a little bit and don't blindly parrot whatever nonsense they read on the internet. And none of this is meant to minimize the very real problem Toyota seems to have with their sticking throttles. Let's see what the qualified people can come up with. Not like the Audi 5000 debacle from the 80s. Do you know that no one ever documented a mechanical reason for the claims of "unintended acceleration" with the Audi? The result was all cars were required to have a brake interlock in order to shift out of park. No further problems. Apparently it was people stepping on the gas instead of the brake.
dead and gone

United States

#15 Jan 23, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Your's is an interesting post. Before the internet, people such as yourself, never used to get hysterical over everything they read, whether or not it was true. That's not the case anymore. I own a recent model Camry and thank heavens, I haven't experienced the gas pedal sticking. I change the oil every 4K, so no sludge problem. My rear speaker grilles seem to be fine. Throttle body seems OK. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know. Only problem so far is the engine light comes on if my wife doesn't put the gas cap on tight. I tighten it up and a few days later the light goes off. At any rate, my factory floormats are held by the factory clip, so they don't bunch up under the gas pedal. I've never put thick rubber mats on top of the regular mats and why would you? Thinking about this the other day while going to work, I was doing 65, not much traffic, I kept my foot on the gas and hit the brakes firmly. Guess what happened? The car slowed down, fast. And it would have come to a complete stop if I had kept braking. So as far as I'm concerned, my car can't outrun it's brakes.
If you were to shut off your engine while driving, you don't "lose" your steering and brakes. They certainly will get much harder--I wouldn't want to park the car like that--but you can still safely steer to the side of the road and your brakes will still slow the car. Then there's always the emergency brake.
I wish people would use there heads a little bit and don't blindly parrot whatever nonsense they read on the internet. And none of this is meant to minimize the very real problem Toyota seems to have with their sticking throttles. Let's see what the qualified people can come up with. Not like the Audi 5000 debacle from the 80s. Do you know that no one ever documented a mechanical reason for the claims of "unintended acceleration" with the Audi? The result was all cars were required to have a brake interlock in order to shift out of park. No further problems. Apparently it was people stepping on the gas instead of the brake.
Those four people were killed when their Toyota accelerated by itself and the brakes wouldn't stop the car even when the driver had both feet on the brake pedal. The airbags didn't help any of them. All occupants were killed on impact.

Escanaba, MI

#16 Jan 23, 2010
What 4 people? The ones in Calfornia? If so the original police report said that it was due to floor mats. That report changed as the SUA complaints continued. But originally I remember seeing a photograph of the pedal fused to the floor mat. There were also reports that a man used that same vehicle days before and reported to the agency that the floor mat was interfering with the pedal. Oddly, that report has seemed to disappear and never is mentioned when they talk about those poor saps in California.

If you are referring to those in Texas, I haven't seen a report yet that indicates the throttle accelerated by itself. All they have been able to conclude is it wasn't floor mats. But they are investigating a throttle sticking, but it hasn't been proven yet.

So this is typical of the bullshit people THINK is going on when they should read and actually look at the facts. The media phrases all their stories to imply something that isn't true or been proven yet. I wish people would read what the story actually says rather than what they think it says.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#17 Jan 23, 2010
I am so damm happy that liberal Toyota is failing
Marvin

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Jan 23, 2010
Bottom line is that Toyota SUCKS!

Since: Sep 08

Viva Madeira

#20 Jan 23, 2010
eskymi wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I did when my AMERICAN BUILT FORD PRODUCT a MERCURY COUGAR did this same thing several times. Of course that was 15 years ago, and it was a cable, but same results, it stuck, I went zoom and I shifted into neutral, braked, stopped car, shut it off, popped hood, loosened the throttle, warmed it up and drove on.
I didn't feel it necessary to contact ABC, or put my story on the NHTSA website. Or cry and say, "What if my family were in the car when it happened? We could have died...."
As with anything story it's all in how you word it and spin it. Regardless of what side you are on.
Here's how you can spin anything....I once fell off a 50 foot ladder...sounds terrible doesn't it....yeah, I was on the 2nd wrung, so I feel about 1 foot....but I could have died, had I landed on my neck and snapped it.
You may find it acceptable to purchase a defective vehicle, but there are many more who expect their vehicle to function as it has been designed. It is because of negative publicity and government regulations that we the consumers are protected. And when something like this happens, the car manufacturer recalls the vehicle and at no cost to the consumer, fixes the problem.
We all can't be as lucky as you and when faced with a stuck accelerator quickly assess the situation, react accordingly and fix it.
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#21 Jan 24, 2010
dead and gone wrote:
<quoted text>Those four people were killed when their Toyota accelerated by itself and the brakes wouldn't stop the car even when the driver had both feet on the brake pedal. The airbags didn't help any of them. All occupants were killed on impact.
How would anyone know how many feet the driver had on the brake pedal, or how hard he pressed on it? All I know is what I tried on my own Toyota and I'm satisfied I could stop it if I had to.
This incident was certainly a tragedy, but I think there is much more to be learned about what exactly happened. And maybe we never will.
The car supposedly had thick rubber floor mats on top of the factory carpeted mats. Is it possible they bunched up enough so that it not only interfered with the gas pedal, but also prevented the brake pedal from being pressed down enough?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 22 min Over Priced Cruze 10,394
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) 53 min Jeff 3,077
News Toyota Rolls Out Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Car With Ca... Tue College 1
News Itís a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) May 1 Not the Windsor R... 1,147
News Did the U.S. auto industry learn anything? Apr 30 TheGeneralBitches 5
Downeast Toyota Toyotas sudden Acceleration Fix... (Mar '13) Apr 30 CharleneBlake 31
News Toyota indefinitely delays Blue Springs, Miss.,... (Dec '08) Apr 15 TMMC worker 10
More from around the web