Downeast Toyota not replacing gas ped...

Downeast Toyota not replacing gas pedal when asked to TOPIX

Posted in the Toyota Forum

Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#1 Mar 15, 2013
Feb 26, 2010 - Mount Desert, ME - Vehicle Speed Control
ABOUT 8 OR 9 MONTHS AGO, I WAS DOING MAYBE 45 MILES PER HOUR WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE RPMS WENT WILD, THE ENGINE HOWLED, AND MY 2007 TOYOTA RAV4 LIMITED SPED OFF AS IF SOMEONE HAD DUMPED A BOULDER ON THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. MY HEART WAS IN MY THROAT AS I TRIED TO STOP THE CAR. PRESSING THE BRAKE HARD DIDN'T DO IT. I THEN STUCK MY FOOT UNDERNEATH THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND PUSHED UP WITH THE TOE OF MY SHOE A FEW TIMES. THAT WORKED AND SUBSEQUENTLY I COULD DEPRESS THE BRAKE AND THE CAR RESPONDED NORMALLY. I ASSUMED AT THE TIME THAT MAYBE THE DRIVER'S-SIDE FLOOR MAT HAD SOMEHOW CREPT UP AND IMPEDED THE FREE OPERATION OF THE PEDAL, A THEORY THAT TOYOTA HEADQUARTERS ALSO SEEMED TO FIND PLAUSIBLE (THOUGH NOT FOR THE RAV4, APPARENTLY). SO I THREW OUT THE MAT AND DIDN'T REPLACE IT WITH ANYTHING. WE HAVE DIRTY CARPETING NOW, BUT WE ARE ALIVE. OF COURSE, IN RECENT WEEKS, THE WORLD HAS LEARNED THAT MILLIONS OF TOYOTAS ARE POTENTIALLY AFFLICTED WITH A STICKY ACCELERATOR PEDAL. TWO WEEKS AGO, WE DROVE OUR CAR TO THE DEALER, DOWNEAST TOYOTA IN BREWER, MAINE, WHEN IT WAS TIME FOR ITS 60,000-MILE SERVICE ANYWAY, AND WE INSISTED THAT THE ACCELERATOR BE REPLACED. WE DISCOVERED LATER THAT THEY HADN'T DONE SO, EVEN THOUGH WE ADVISED THEM CLEARLY THAT WE?D HAD A POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING INCIDENT INVOLVING THE ACCELERATOR. THE REASON THEY WILL NOT REPLACE THE ACCELERATOR, THEY TOLD MY WIFE, IS BECAUSE TOYOTA BELIEVES THAT THE 2007 RAV4 HAS NO ACCELERATOR PROBLEMS. IN OTHER WORDS, OUR CAR IS NOT PART OF THE RECALL, SO WE'RE OUT OF LUCK NO MATTER WHAT I'VE PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED.
Profits trump safety

Bar Harbor, ME

#2 Mar 15, 2013
will say it AGAIN Downeast Toyota and Toyota PROFITS TRUMP SAFETY!! ONE WOULD THINK IF A CUSTOMER ASKED TO REPLACE PEDAL THAT EVEN IF NOT COVERED UNDER RECALL OR MANY TSB'S FOR THIS PROBLEM THAT DOWNEAST TOYOTA WOULD HAVE REPLACED IT ANYWAY!! BUT PROFITS TRUMP SAFETY!! THEY MUST HAVE TALKED TO KEVIN KELLY!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge: WHO IS BETTER??? (Jan '08) May 15 MrKrabs 3,129
2003 Prius - Steering Wheel Vibrates (Oct '07) May 12 Bobbi 16
News Woman accused of leading CHP on drunken birthda... May 10 Birds Landing Bob 1
News China's Buick Velite 5 is a Volt with a nose job May 3 Unimpressed 3
Tout sur multi-diag access j2534 pass-thru obd2... (Aug '16) Apr '17 diyobd2 2
News Toyota Announces $1.33 Billion Investment In Ke... Apr '17 Bonk 2
News Oriental Toyoda on Life Support -Gasping (Oct '08) Apr '17 paul 47
More from around the web