Feds Probe Toyota Pickup, SUV Suspension Failures

Toyota pickup trucks and SUVs are the focus of a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recall query because of reports that the front suspension ball joints may come apart. Full Story
Monica

Corning, CA

#1 Jun 25, 2006
May come apart? Try totally breaking and your front tire folding under your truck. That is what happened to my 1998 Toyota Tacoma, talk about scary. The scariest part is I never missed a scheduled maintenance and followed Toyotas guide to the T and their mechanics still missed the boat on that one. They refuse to take an responsibility for the repairs forcing me to turn it into insurance, the damages were really expensive.
Clam

Canada

#2 Sep 22, 2006
Sounds like a lack of maintenance.
juan irizarry

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#3 Jan 3, 2007
want to know about 1996 4runner failures
David

Spring Lake, MI

#4 Jan 7, 2007
I had a ball joint fail ONCE on one of 28 vehichels I've owned since 1976 and it was a 1973 Chevy nova with 186,487 miles on it so I do not want anyone to ever say that Toyota's are "bullit proof"! And does anyone remember a couple years ago Toyota engines were FAILING because the owners lived on DIrt and DUSTY roads? Talk about BIAS in the media!
Jim

Warwick, RI

#6 Sep 9, 2008
2005 Toyota Tacoma 196000 miles, 4 cyl 5 speed man. Battery light come on and stays on for a mile or two in morning. sometimes comes on in late afternoon. Changed Battery (interstate) checked alternator appears to working properly. When Battery light comes on cannot turn on or turn off cruise control inidicator and cannot set cruise control. Except for replacing front universal and l rear wheel bearing, no other problems. Any ideas
crown victoria

Santa Ana, CA

#7 Sep 10, 2008
yeah just get rid of that pos and buy a f150
Steve Buck

United States

#8 May 30, 2011
One of my employees was driving home last Friday evening when his Toyota Tundra lost its front passenger wheel/ hub/spindle and put him in a ditch (we have lots of ditches here in Southeast Louisiana). I rode in the truck earlier in the afternoon and felt no vibration or other indicators of impending catastrophic suspension failure. Truck is a 2001 model year and had no other mechanical faults other than its tailgate latch just broke off about three months earlier.
liner

Bellport, NY

#9 May 30, 2011
Steve Buck wrote:
One of my employees was driving home last Friday evening when his Toyota Tundra lost its front passenger wheel/ hub/spindle and put him in a ditch (we have lots of ditches here in Southeast Louisiana). I rode in the truck earlier in the afternoon and felt no vibration or other indicators of impending catastrophic suspension failure. Truck is a 2001 model year and had no other mechanical faults other than its tailgate latch just broke off about three months earlier.
Toyota did have their problems with suspensions, but it probably wouldn't be the first 10 year old pickup to lose a ball joint.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Tundra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TMZ "Reporters" Call Sarah Palin a "Bad Mom" an... Aug '14 Failin Palin 4
Ford F-150 pickup tops 'American-made' list Jul '14 Go Blue Forever 1
2014 Tundra is proud to be 'American born' (Feb '13) Mar '14 glox 11
Tundra Drops A Load - (Dec '07) Feb '14 Root 1,912
Toyota Tundra 5.7-Liter V-8 Supercharger Rated ... (Jul '08) Jan '14 Mark King 36
Best pickups under $30,000 (Aug '13) Sep '13 Godlust 3
Who makes the most powerful pickup truck? (Mar '09) Jul '13 liner 173
More from around the web