2005 Toyota Tacoma Power Steering

Posted in the Toyota Tacoma Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Generalget

Piqua, OH

#1 Apr 14, 2008
Steering is intermittently sluggish. Local dealer said they had to call California to find out the problem. They've decided to replace the pump ($600+). They said that no one else has reported this problem. Has anyone else had this problem? I've got 45K on the truck and it's been in for all of it's scheduled maintenance.
CROWN VICTORIA

Santa Ana, CA

#2 Apr 28, 2008
thats what happens when you buy a toyota
toyota smasher

Billings, MT

#3 Dec 12, 2008
yea toyotas suck and parts from any toyota dealer are way too expensive drive fords
jacob

Lafayette, LA

#4 Feb 4, 2009
what do you mean sluggish
Mike Yue

Charlottetown, Canada

#5 Apr 11, 2009
Yup I have the same problem and I refuse to take it to toyota. Did the new pump fix it?
Uncle Sauce

Metairie, LA

#6 Jun 3, 2009
Generalget wrote:
Steering is intermittently sluggish. Local dealer said they had to call California to find out the problem. They've decided to replace the pump ($600+). They said that no one else has reported this problem. Has anyone else had this problem? I've got 45K on the truck and it's been in for all of it's scheduled maintenance.
I just hit 62500 miles on my 05 4x4 and started hearing the steering pump whine...I'm guessing that I need to replace the pump but can u bleed the pump to see if air got in the line? Only reason I'm asking cause it happened after I was tearing up a field after a 3 inch lift kit was installed...
Rich

Manlius, NY

#7 Apr 20, 2010
My 05 4x4 steering started acting sluggish/ binding at 98,000 mi. I almost took it to a shop and figured it was a bad pump or worse. The think that made me curious was that it didn't do it all of the time.I couldn't find any greese fittings, so I took the advice of a friend and dumped oil on the shaft steering knuckle and let it soak really good. Next time I drove it, it was like new. Problem solved. That knuckle is on the underside of the truck and is exposed to water and road salt. Toyota should have put a greese fitting here.
randy

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Jul 11, 2010
i have a 2008 toyota tacoma and the steering to get out of a tight parking space is really tough because its real hard to turn the steering wheel is this the way its suppose to be ?
Jersey guy

Whitehouse Station, NJ

#9 Apr 21, 2011
THANK YOU, RICH FROM BOSTON! The steering in my 05 started to get sluggish at 57,000 mi. We had a bad winter here in jersey, lots of snow and tons of road salt. First I put in new power steering fluid, that didn't help. Then I found this forum and took the advise of (Rich from Boston). I oiled the heck out of the knuckle on the steering shaft. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!
Buck

Philipsburg, PA

#10 Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Rich. I have an 06 with 128K that started doing the same thing. I was thinking that the power steering needed bled until I seen your post. I oiled the knuckle and it works great.
Brad

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Jun 29, 2012
Got the same 2005 Tacoma steering problem. Going to try lubing my knuckle tonight!!
Terry

United States

#12 Jan 23, 2013
I put pb blaster on mine and it loosen up the steering wheel thanks for the help dealer wanted 750$ to fix and I spent 5 $ on a can of pb blaster. Lol
Miller from ct

United States

#13 Feb 19, 2013
Rich wrote:
My 05 4x4 steering started acting sluggish/ binding at 98,000 mi. I almost took it to a shop and figured it was a bad pump or worse. The think that made me curious was that it didn't do it all of the time.I couldn't find any greese fittings, so I took the advice of a friend and dumped oil on the shaft steering knuckle and let it soak really good. Next time I drove it, it was like new. Problem solved. That knuckle is on the underside of the truck and is exposedand road salt. Toyota should have put a greese fitting here.
you said soak ?
Miller from ct

United States

#14 Feb 19, 2013
Rich from Boston, how did you soak knuckle? I would like to try fixing problem also? Any help would be appreciated. Go bruins
07 Taco

Grand Blanc, MI

#15 Mar 10, 2013
Miller from ct wrote:
Rich from Boston, how did you soak knuckle? I would like to try fixing problem also? Any help would be appreciated. Go bruins
So glad I came across this site! I soaked mine with WD40, then coated with white lithium grease. The steering loosened up in 30 seconds! Will let you know if it holds up.
Goldtop

New Hartford, CT

#16 Mar 11, 2013
Yup, I caught this thread and was having the same problem with my 08'- doused it with white lithium grease. Problem solved!!!! Thanks guys!
tim 06 taco

Williamstown, MA

#17 Mar 18, 2013
sterring all of a sudden became hard to turn, thought it was my power assist, also no noise or leaks. will try oiling the sterring knuckle. 83000 mi
tim 06 taco

Williamstown, MA

#18 Mar 19, 2013
used pb blaster and white lithium on universal and the problem was solved thanks
Stumpe

Plano, TX

#19 Mar 26, 2013
Rich wrote:
My 05 4x4 steering started acting sluggish/ binding at 98,000 mi. I almost took it to a shop and figured it was a bad pump or worse. The think that made me curious was that it didn't do it all of the time.I couldn't find any greese fittings, so I took the advice of a friend and dumped oil on the shaft steering knuckle and let it soak really good. Next time I drove it, it was like new. Problem solved. That knuckle is on the underside of the truck and is exposed to water and road salt. Toyota should have put a greese fitting here.
I am running into the same issue and wanted to try this fix can you be more percise on the location of the knuckle? I am a FNG when it comes to working on cars and really dont want to screw anything up!.
John

Riverton, NJ

#20 Mar 27, 2013
Jersey guy wrote:
THANK YOU, RICH FROM BOSTON! The steering in my 05 started to get sluggish at 57,000 mi. We had a bad winter here in jersey, lots of snow and tons of road salt. First I put in new power steering fluid, that didn't help. Then I found this forum and took the advise of (Rich from Boston). I oiled the heck out of the knuckle on the steering shaft. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!
I've got a 05 with 200K on it with no major problems, yet. But I just started having a hard steering problem,will not return to center on it's own. Thanks for the tip, I live in Jersey also. Pemberton N.J.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Tacoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bronc-No! Possible 2020 Ford Bronco Mule Spied ... (Aug '17) Aug '17 cmarrtyy 1
2005 to 2010 Toyota Tacoma frames (Jul '17) Jul '17 eagle3703 1
Tacoma broken compass and outside temperature d... (Apr '09) Jul '17 fixme 110
OEM or aftermarket? (Apr '17) Apr '17 as registered 1
News Toyota Tacoma compact pickup selling like a ful... (Sep '12) Jul '16 Pissed 12
AC blower (Apr '16) Apr '16 Danny 1
cold engine start clicking noise, what is it? (Jan '16) Jan '16 paul 1
More from around the web