Auto-shut off for Toyota Sienna inter...

Auto-shut off for Toyota Sienna interior lights

Posted in the Toyota Sienna Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve

Louisville, CO

#1 Nov 12, 2006
We have gone through two batteries on our 3 yr. old Sienna...presumably due to our kids turning on the interior lights before exiting the vehicle. Is there any way (like with my Chevy) to have the interior lights "auto shut-off" after the cars has been parked and turned off for 5 minutes or so?
Carroll

San Antonio, TX

#2 Dec 11, 2006
We have had to call for battery assistance three times in the past year because of the inside lights remaining on. on two occasion the light switch was inadvertantly left on, and on one occasion a sliding door did not close completely, which caused the lights to remain on. Can't an automatic cut-off switch be installed in production to times to cut-off in 5 - 10 minutes or so?
Steve

Englewood, CO

#3 Dec 19, 2006
Toyota has no solution to offer here. They have the functionality in other Toyota vehicles, but not in the Sienna. The tech said that companies that install security systems may offer an after-market solution that would not void the Toyota warranty.
mpv4-7

Silver Spring, MD

#5 Jul 31, 2008
I don't know if any car that would automatically turn off the interior light if that light was physically turn on by a passenger.

Granted, the '05 and on do have the feature to turn off the lights if they weren't touched and the doors are opened. I think they go off in 5 minutes.

'04 does not have this feature.
Arthur

AOL

#6 Aug 23, 2008
My 2006 CE does have the door left open and the go off. If the kids or wife turn on a light it just stays on.
mpv4-7 wrote:
I don't know if any car that would automatically turn off the interior light if that light was physically turn on by a passenger.
Granted, the '05 and on do have the feature to turn off the lights if they weren't touched and the doors are opened. I think they go off in 5 minutes.
'04 does not have this feature.
Mark

Fargo, ND

#7 Feb 2, 2009
I bought a 2008 limited and am astounded by just how dumb the technology is on the vehicle. Lights that have no auto-shut off on the inside is so pathetic. I bought a Toyota for their superiority over domestics... think again on the tech. I had 99 GMC that was smart enough to shut off interior lights. This this is so rediculous that leaving a door open will keep the automatic headlights on indefinately. Another example is that the memory driver function is not even tied to the remote. You actually have to press one or two on the door to get the seat/mirrors to move. The laser cruise goes up in 5 mph increments while the normal cruise goes up in 1 mph increments. Not to mention, I have at least two pronounced rattles that we've had since mile one which they can't seem to find. We bought this van because we really liked the look, feel and promised reliability. Not quite there yet, but starting to think I should have bought the Odyssey Touring.
Brenda

Palm Bay, FL

#8 Jun 8, 2010
I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna and the interior lights come on at will. All the doors are shut and I can even push the off/doors/on light button to off and they still stay on. My husband had to pull the fuse so our battery won't drain. At first I thought the kids were leaving the lights on until I noticed the floor lights were on. Sometimes they will turn off when driving down the road. The indicator light of open doors does not light so I don't think it is a door sensor. Any help?
Jodie

Sterling, IL

#9 Aug 31, 2010
Brenda wrote:
I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna and the interior lights come on at will. All the doors are shut and I can even push the off/doors/on light button to off and they still stay on. My husband had to pull the fuse so our battery won't drain. At first I thought the kids were leaving the lights on until I noticed the floor lights were on. Sometimes they will turn off when driving down the road. The indicator light of open doors does not light so I don't think it is a door sensor. Any help?
I am having the same problem with my 2006 sienna. Did you have yours fixed yet. I am looking for answers before I have to pay big at the dealership. thanks
Brenda

Palm Bay, FL

#10 Aug 31, 2010
When we went to the dealership they told us our lights needed to be reset, that they were out of sync. They had the car off and took the key out, pushed all of the back lights once, and then turned on the ignition. (or so that is what they told us they did.) It worked until we opened one of the backdoors and then we were back to square one. We took it in twice for this problem and that is all they said they did. Both times they said it was fixed. We can replicate it, but we usually do it after we have the fuse pulled for a while. You can try to see if it works for you. I am still looking for an answer to our problem. Let me know if you find out anything.
bill

Huntington, NY

#11 Oct 24, 2011
my interior lights act crazy too! sometimes they stay on after i s/o ignition, when no one has toched them. these toyotas have become too complicated[unlike the simple and reliable ones of the past]. that said it is still ten times better than my ford van was!
Brenda

Windermere, FL

#12 Oct 24, 2011
Jodie wrote:
<quoted text>
I am having the same problem with my 2006 sienna. Did you have yours fixed yet. I am looking for answers before I have to pay big at the dealership. thanks
Did you ever figure it out? We ended up taking the floor light bulbs out and keeping the door light switch turned to off unless we need them on for some reason. That way we at least have lights in front and could have the back ones on when we wanted.
Jeff

Westminster, CO

#13 Feb 8, 2012
I agree that I couldn't believe that the dealer told me that there was no automatic interior light shut-off for our 2009 Sienna. I have to give my wife a jump start about once a month because one of the kids left the door open or turned on the light in the way back or put the rocker switch for the interior lights to On or Auto. I'm going to try Brenda's idea of removing the light bulbs in the door that don't go off when the rocker switch is set to off.
patrick

Waukesha, WI

#14 Jun 7, 2012
just replace all the interior light bulbs with LEDs, they operate at 1/10 the voltage the regular bulbs operate at
mark

Bronx, NY

#15 Jul 1, 2012
Brenda wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever figure it out? We ended up taking the floor light bulbs out and keeping the door light switch turned to off unless we need them on for some reason. That way we at least have lights in front and could have the back ones on when we wanted.
Anyone figure this out? Same exact issue (rear 4 dome lights are always on in the "ON" or "DOOR" mode and only turn off when you select "OFF". The two courtesy lights on the sliding doors are always on - always which kills the battery. The front passenger lights work fine.) I took this to the dealer and they said the reset the lights in a certain order and it worked for 1-2 months but now we are having the same issues. And seems like it isnt worth another $50 to fix it.
Rick R

Sioux Falls, SD

#16 Jan 14, 2013
Wil the leaving the sliding door open drain the battery? Lights were off.
Rick R

Sioux Falls, SD

#17 Jan 14, 2013
2009 Toyota Sienna. Will leaving the sliding door open drain the battery? Lights are off.
Mike

Saratoga Springs, NY

#18 May 1, 2013
I purchased my Sienna new in April 2011 and since then I have had many instances of discharging my battery to the point where the car would not start without a jump. If I have left a door open for several hours while working on a project or on a picnic the interior lights (which can not be shut off while a door is open) drain the battery. These interior lights consist of eight 5 watt bulbs that total 40 watts. The 40 watts can discharge a half charged battery in 4 or 5 hours if left on. IAfter many short trips of a few miles or so the battery is about half charge and will be totally discharged after a few hours if a door or hatch is left open. My previous 1998 Sienna had no such problem. This poor electrical design problem is more than incovenient, it could end up stranding me someplace where help could not be found. What kind of design improvment do you consider do you consider this newer lighting system to be?
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#19 May 1, 2013
Mike wrote:
I purchased my Sienna new in April 2011 and since then I have had many instances of discharging my battery to the point where the car would not start without a jump. If I have left a door open for several hours while working on a project or on a picnic the interior lights (which can not be shut off while a door is open) drain the battery. These interior lights consist of eight 5 watt bulbs that total 40 watts. The 40 watts can discharge a half charged battery in 4 or 5 hours if left on. IAfter many short trips of a few miles or so the battery is about half charge and will be totally discharged after a few hours if a door or hatch is left open. My previous 1998 Sienna had no such problem. This poor electrical design problem is more than incovenient, it could end up stranding me someplace where help could not be found. What kind of design improvment do you consider do you consider this newer lighting system to be?
In my opinion, the purpose of interior lights are to provide illumination at night, the brighter the better. Yes it might be convenient to some to provide a way of turning them off, but if you're aware of this, why would you continue to leave doors open for hours at a time?
Jess Evans

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 May 28, 2013
It sounds like there are three issues.

First issue is a works-as-designed issue: Some people don't like the door lights staying on when the doors are open and the rocker switch is set to Off.(In a properly working light system, this only affects the front door lights). I keep the front doors closed and use the sliders and rear lift door if I want to keep the Sienna opened up. BTW, I think Patrick's idea of replacing bulbs with LEDs is brilliant. I might just do that with the front door lights so I don't have to be so scrupulous about keeping them shut.

Second issue is also a design issue: some people don't like that dome lights set to the On position stay on after the engine is switched off. Again, the system is working as designed (it ain't a bug, it's a feature...) If you want to make sure the dome lights are off when the vehicle is parked, make a habit of keeping the rocker switch set to Off. That way even if your wife or kid turns on a dome light, the light will be off when the vehicle is parked.

Third issue: defective lighting! This issue is described by Brenda, Jody and Bill. In this situation, lights go on and off randomly, and the rocker switch in the Off position does NOT turn off the dome lights! If this happened to me, I'd be really irritated! If you aren't getting satisfaction from the dealer, try taking it to a GOOD local Toyota mechanic.(Look on Yelp for someone with a great customer service reputation.) If they can't fix it, they won't charge you. Or if they have to keep resetting it, they either won't charge you the second time, or they will charge you WAY less than the dealer. Otherwise, maybe try Patrick's idea of replacing the bulbs with LEDs? That way at least you'd have a lot more time before the battery went dead.
JOHN B

Memphis, TN

#21 May 9, 2014
You should have bought a Ford. My 2003 f 150 lights will turn off. You can leave the headlights ,the cargo light, or inside lights on and the system will kill all power after so long. My 1997 Lincoln and my 2009 Chrysler town and country will do the same thing.

Just got a 2014 Toyota Sienna and no lights will come on when the doors are opened, I got to find out how lights work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Sienna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
a/c cluster display 2011 sienna Mon ralph armenti 1
Can't remove rear seats on 2004 Sienna (Jul '09) Dec 6 judithmagnificent 12
Climate control button lights are out on my 200... Nov 26 Chickda 1
News Buying used: Should we opt for a Honda Odyssey ... Oct '17 pbug56 1
2015 Toyota SE knocking Sep '17 gmac 1
Sienna XLE poor gas mileage (Jun '06) Sep '17 JohnnyJ 69
News 2017 Toyota Sienna Xle Awd Review by Steve Purdy Sep '17 pbug56 1
More from around the web