Big is back: As pump prices plunge, S...

Big is back: As pump prices plunge, SUV sales surge

There are 74 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Dec 30, 2008, titled Big is back: As pump prices plunge, SUV sales surge. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

It looks like the Highlander is in and the Prius is out - for now at least. Trucks and sport utility vehicles will outsell cars for the first time since February, according to a December report by Edmunds.com, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#66 Jan 5, 2009
Social Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet the most of them are driving around in their foreign vehicles. Some of which are made here with American slave labor just like the japs utilized american pow's in WWII. Any profits made from selling these vehicles goes straight to Japan and Korea and is not reinvested into our economy. These are the anti-americans, not those buying and driving Ford, GM or Chrysler trucks and suv's.
I drive a Ford Ranger.
independent voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#67 Jan 5, 2009
Social Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference in gas milage is really not that great. My son-in-law has a Scion straight shift that gets 27 mpg on the road. I have a Tahoe automatic that gets 22 on the road. Now given the difference in size and weight which vehicle utilizes the energy in gasoline better?
It's not a matter of keeping up with the Jonees it's driving someting I want to and I'm not about to let a so-called self-appointed master tell me any different. You need to get your nose out of others business and mind your own.
I have a Yaris and get 34 to 39 miles a gallon, my husband drives a chevy caliver to work and gets 23 to 26.. difference here is when gas was $4 a gallon it took me $40 a week to go to work.. since I worked so far it was cost effective.. as it was twice as much as I spent 3 years ago when I moved out here.. since I like to be able to pay my other bills that $20 difference a week ($80) a month is the electric bill... I don't believe in waste...those that don't care should by all means waste their money it's theirs to waste..

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#69 Jan 6, 2009
Social Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
What I drive is none of your business and if you think that you have any right to make it yours you are an idiot. Gasoline is a legal product, is not rationed and is available to all. It's not up to you to tell me how much I am entitled to or allowed to use.
You socialists are really something. We have freedom here in the U.S. something you evidently have no concept of. So stick it up your butt!
I'm not impressed with your not so extensive knowledge of economics. I am impressed with your obsession to "keep up with the Jones". Perhaps we could have a "keep up with the Jones" tax on people who insist on driving gas guzzling, overpriced cars that are not suited to urban driving. Then I would be impressed with your social responsibility when you pay them. A well filled out 1040 form is a mighty impressive document.
Walther

Virginia Beach, VA

#70 Jan 6, 2009
No Gammler,,,the tax should be on the people that insist on pushing their personal agendas on others. It's not your business to tell me or anyone what to drive. If you force a small car on me, then YOU and your liberals friends pay for it. That is how it should work. I will buy whatever I want and drive whatever I want without any interference from anyone. If a buying decision is FORCED on me, then I expect to be compensated for that decision made by someone else. We have free will and freedom from persecution in the United States of America - regardless of the form of persecution.
Peste

Omaha, NE

#71 Jan 6, 2009
independent voter Joliet wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a Yaris and get 34 to 39 miles a gallon, my husband drives a chevy caliver to work and gets 23 to 26.. difference here is when gas was $4 a gallon it took me $40 a week to go to work.. since I worked so far it was cost effective.. as it was twice as much as I spent 3 years ago when I moved out here.. since I like to be able to pay my other bills that $20 difference a week ($80) a month is the electric bill... I don't believe in waste...those that don't care should by all means waste their money it's theirs to waste..
I agree about the waste and the post. I have a couple of questions regarding your Yaris.
I was looking at smaller cars to get and drive around town in and I liked the Yaris when I saw one. Do you like yours? I have an older Toyota now,(I get about 38 -40 mpg highway if I try hard enough) and I really like the way it handles and I was wondering if the Yaris handles well too. Does it have decent acceleration?

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#72 Jan 6, 2009
Walther wrote:
No Gammler,,,the tax should be on the people that insist on pushing their personal agendas on others. It's not your business to tell me or anyone what to drive. If you force a small car on me, then YOU and your liberals friends pay for it. That is how it should work. I will buy whatever I want and drive whatever I want without any interference from anyone. If a buying decision is FORCED on me, then I expect to be compensated for that decision made by someone else. We have free will and freedom from persecution in the United States of America - regardless of the form of persecution.
You are pushing your agenda on me by forcing me to pay more for gasoline. This isn't about politics, however, this is about economics.
independent voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#73 Jan 6, 2009
Peste wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about the waste and the post. I have a couple of questions regarding your Yaris.
I was looking at smaller cars to get and drive around town in and I liked the Yaris when I saw one. Do you like yours? I have an older Toyota now,(I get about 38 -40 mpg highway if I try hard enough) and I really like the way it handles and I was wondering if the Yaris handles well too. Does it have decent acceleration?
Sorry it took so long to respond YES I LOVE my Yaris... handles great... fact is it impressed my husband when he drove it for a week... he said he got 39 miles on the highway he works in IN and drives I80 to work...
Peste

Omaha, NE

#74 Jan 7, 2009
independent voter Joliet wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry it took so long to respond YES I LOVE my Yaris... handles great... fact is it impressed my husband when he drove it for a week... he said he got 39 miles on the highway he works in IN and drives I80 to work...
Very cool. Thanks! Yeah when I tell people that my Toyota can get up to 40 mpg, they look at me like I'm high or something, but it's the coolest thing. I wouldn't mind if Toyota would do a hybrid version of the Yaris too.
independent voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#75 Jan 7, 2009
Peste wrote:
<quoted text>
Very cool. Thanks! Yeah when I tell people that my Toyota can get up to 40 mpg, they look at me like I'm high or something, but it's the coolest thing. I wouldn't mind if Toyota would do a hybrid version of the Yaris too.
The reason I bought mine was I hit the gas took a corner and it stayed level... and it has an IPOD hook up one bad feature on mine at least is the cup holders are on the upper part of the dash right in front of the heating/air vent so you have to drink your coffee left handed.. it also took awhile to get use to the gauges in the middle of the dashboard but the good feature is the air bags go off automatically if the person in the seat next to you doesn't weigh enough..
Peste

Omaha, NE

#76 Jan 7, 2009
independent voter Joliet wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I bought mine was I hit the gas took a corner and it stayed level... and it has an IPOD hook up one bad feature on mine at least is the cup holders are on the upper part of the dash right in front of the heating/air vent so you have to drink your coffee left handed.. it also took awhile to get use to the gauges in the middle of the dashboard but the good feature is the air bags go off automatically if the person in the seat next to you doesn't weigh enough..
Good stuff to know. Interesting... my girlfriend has a thing about cupholders in a car and probably wouldn't like the left handed cupholder
ferrari modena

Hillsborough, NC

#77 Jan 7, 2009
Big cars should only be used when needed if ever. The people that own those should get a prius or smart for two something that will offset the carbon footprint of the yank-tanks
Regulation Woo

United States

#78 Jan 7, 2009
I am also for regulation, so we can all drive around little grey cars like the Soviets used to make.
The free market is for suckers!
Need regulation wrote:
This is happening because the automakers are allowed to manufacture these SUV's and large Pick-ups. Americans who rail at the automakers on forums and letters to the editors break their ....
independent voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#79 Jan 7, 2009
Peste wrote:
<quoted text>
Good stuff to know. Interesting... my girlfriend has a thing about cupholders in a car and probably wouldn't like the left handed cupholder
You get use to it, but you have to remember where to put the hole on your travel mug... one nice thing is with one of the vents being right behind your drink it keeps it hot in the winter and cool in the summer..
Eff Big Oil

Boise, ID

#80 Mar 12, 2012
LOL big didn't last long. Enjoying that gas hog now idjit?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Prius Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
prius 2010 - worst car purchase ever Nov 30 Garyquicker 1
The Pirate ship Prius Nov 16 All 1
How to ruin a Prius Oct '16 All 1
Moldy smell from evaporation pan (Aug '07) Oct '16 chrissy5128 75
Turning large groove deep groove ball bearings ... Oct '16 Andybaby 1
What do YOU think about the Prius... Boring? Ug... Sep '16 HRPOWER 1
News Toyota eyes battery plant Sep '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web