John McDowell

South Dennis, MA

#21 Jan 9, 2009
Frustrated wrote:
Just picked up a brand new Highlander Sport FWD and when I make a right hand turn I get a series of clicks/knocks/crunching coming from the front left suspension and I can feel it in my steering wheel. The car has been back to the dealership 4 times and they can't find the problem. Very annoying when you drive as you know when you make a right turn your going to get "that sound and that feeling".
I just had the problem on a right hand turn. They replaced the steering shaft.
John McDowell

South Dennis, MA

#22 Jan 9, 2009
I had the same problem on a left turn. Toyota replaced the steering shaft.
John McDowell

South Dennis, MA

#23 Jan 9, 2009
chuckbrown wrote:
I bought a 2008 tow wheel drive highlander and when ever I start it up in the morning I wait a few minutes to let the car warm up and one I put it into drive this pinging or rasping sound come out from the under the hood untill I reach speeds or 45 and up but it kinda load at first has anyone else had this problem?
I am having the same issue right now. It is a two wheel vehicle. Toyota says that all the new 6 cylinder unit have the same issue.
Ben

Kenosha, WI

#24 Jan 12, 2009
sid wrote:
Alignment problems, from day 1. Steering Wheel was crooked to the left. If I straighten it, it bears left.
It was worked on, and now it bears right.
This is my second aliggment issue with the Toyotas. The first one was with Lexus Rx330, a similar vehicle. The alignment was nver right after 4 attempts by the dealer.
I am experiencing the same thing with my 2008 Highlander which i just purchased. Please let me know what the outcome of your situation was. I just got it back from the dealer and it does not seem to be resolved.
Jill

Needham, MA

#25 Jan 22, 2009
I just bought a Toyota Highlander 2008 and the back window rattles...When I close the back door the window pops up a little bit...I was wondering if this is normal for the 2008 Highlander.
Les

London, Canada

#26 Feb 11, 2009
Is anyone having a problem with water entering the drivers side foot well.
Zuki

Longueuil, Canada

#27 Mar 17, 2009
Bought a new 2009 highlander Sport and since day 2 had problems with my radio. Buttons freeze while driving; radio shuts off while driving all very random. Toyota changed my new radio with a refurbished model (found out 6 wks later...very upsetting to know my existing radio is older than my car....) anyway, still having the same problems and been using only the FM radio and nothing else. It is really frustrating, since the dealer has no clue what to do anymore and it has been escalated to Toyota which is taking its time getting back to me.
I am very disappointed with Toyota. I would have never thought I would have so many problems. The main reason I chose Toyota is for the reliability…..
spincoach

Irvine, CA

#28 Mar 21, 2009
Just got a 08 Highlander. When first starting the thing it makes so much noise sounds like a the lifters are about to grenade. Of course had it at the dealer which the indicated there was no problems, any ideas
paulancka

Los Angeles, CA

#29 May 10, 2009
I just bought a Highlander 2008, 18K miles , and I feel a constantly pull to the right. Did the alignment twice and it didn't solve the problem. Maybe we should start a class action law suit. They have a problem with the direction. It's all over the internet. I've read many posts and a lot of people have problem with the direction. Will it qualify for Lemon Law?
Ozzie

Miami, FL

#30 May 14, 2009
Hello,
I just purchased an 08 Highlander...happy with it so far (only been 2 days). Unfortunately it did not come with the stock roof rails. I can't find any online! Can someone please recommend an aftermarket roof rack + side rail system that's worked for them. Really, don't need it for towing anything, just like the sporty look.
Thanks.
jojo

Mountain View, CA

#31 May 15, 2009
I have had my'08 for almost a year and love it. Unfortunately it also came without stock roof rails and I would like to know what some good aftermarket ones would be, possibly with a bike rack option.
happy

Luling, LA

#32 May 28, 2009
I purchased a 2009 highlander limited and now I want to tow a camper with it. I call Toyota and they want 1000.00 to install hitch and wire harness. After that they told me I can tow 5000lbs. Has anyone have any problems towing. I don't want to spend to money if it still won't tow at least 4500lbs. Otherwise I am very happy with my highlander, no reported problems with anything.
Disillusioned

Queensbury, NY

#33 May 30, 2009
I have had my 08 Highlander for 1.5 years. Every time I wash it, I notice more and more tiny rust-like dots on the paint. I had a sealant applied that instructs not to wax. Dealer advises to wax and buff it out. I noticed also that it pits and chips and rusts way too easily. Is anyone else experiencing deteriorating paint job?
metoo

Burke, VA

#34 May 30, 2009
Disillusioned wrote:
I have had my 08 Highlander for 1.5 years. Every time I wash it, I notice more and more tiny rust-like dots on the paint. I had a sealant applied that instructs not to wax. Dealer advises to wax and buff it out. I noticed also that it pits and chips and rusts way too easily. Is anyone else experiencing deteriorating paint job?
I also have started noticing this same thing. I got my Highlander in Dec 07 about the same time as you must have!
metoo

Burke, VA

#35 May 30, 2009
I have another question. Is anyone having the problem with the alarm going off randomly if the car is parked and locked, especially when it is raining, not when the car is on. Only if its just sitting there locked. Only thing I can do is unlock the car. Not very convenient.
William

Kensington, MD

#37 Jun 24, 2009
Asahiguy wrote:
I would like to know if anyone has had an issue with a 2008 Highlander fresh air button. Ours will cut out in all settings (not the defrost) in about two or three minutes. Seems the whole idea of this button was to keep the exhaust from the trucks ahead of you out of your air intake. Service department says this is a feature of all 2008 Highlanders.
Hold the recirculate button down for 5 seconds and the system will stay in this mode.
William

Kensington, MD

#38 Jun 24, 2009
To stay in recirculate mode, hold down the button for 5 seconds.
William

Kensington, MD

#39 Jun 24, 2009
spincoach wrote:
Just got a 08 Highlander. When first starting the thing it makes so much noise sounds like a the lifters are about to grenade. Of course had it at the dealer which the indicated there was no problems, any ideas
The 3.5 V-6 in the 2008 Highlander has a timing chain rather than the timing belts used on most engines. The chain should last for the life of the engine without the need to change it. It does lead to some valve noise when the engine is cold, but this noise goes away (at least on mine) after a few minutes.

My 1999 Camry has a timing belt, which is quieter, but needs to be replaced every 90K miles or so. I was told that if the belt failed on the Camry, however, the engine would just stop working, but the car could be towed in and the belt replaced and it would be ok. On Hondas such as the Accord I used to own, failure of the belt apparently destroys the engine. So it is a more serious thing with Honda. One more example of superior engineering on Toyota vehicles.
Aaron

Attleboro, MA

#40 Jul 10, 2009
Les wrote:
Is anyone having a problem with water entering the drivers side foot well.
Im having the similar problem w/ my 08 highlander. My driver side and passenger side carpet is soaked after a few days of rain. I have a moon roof but no dampness. This is clearly coming from the bottom up or front to back.

Just got my car back from the dealer. They tore it apart and found nothing???

Did you find a solution or anyone have a ideas??
tom

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

#41 Jul 28, 2009
2008 Highlander - blue tooth/phone issue - About 1/2 of calls are satisfactory, the other half have this problem: I can hear the outside party but they can't hear me. Problem comes and goes. One call will be fine and the next they can't hear me. Phone is old Motorola Razr and service is Sprint. Toyota says it is on Sprint and Sprint says it is on Toyota. Anybody have any idea?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Highlander Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Highlander door lock actuator (Aug '10) May 19 john 120
2009 toyota highlander front driver door May 7 tony 1
2008 Toyota Highlander May 5 chris chung 3
Toyota Highlander Radio Problem (Aug '10) May 4 redbike 46
highlander tail/brake light problem (Jul '07) Apr '15 oedwards 131
Toyota Highlander 2004 -moon roof problems (Jun '06) Mar '15 Brad l 20
2008 Toyota Highlander Climate Control Knob (Aug '11) Mar '15 mtiongc 28
More from around the web