Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

Judged:

I have owned 5 Toyota vehicles but none have as many issues as my new Highlander. First on cold start the engine vibrates so loud when I put in reverse the dash shakes. Second even though I have the radio base set at minus 3 the base is way too strong on both my MP3 and regular radio . If you need a towbar, there are no after market ones built yet I needed to spend $700 for a Toyota towbar to be installed to tow anything. If you want spend the money on a roof rack crossbars do not do it yourself the plastic end caps will break> I watched the dealer break both of mine. Has anyone else had these issues?
Fredsny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2007

Had same issue with roof cross bars. Dealer used his Toyota industry network connections and had one for me in a week from a dealer in S. Dakota. Installed by the dealer (before my eyes in seconds without breaking the cap clips) for free. But the bars are an option and had to be purchased. Seem to me they ought to be included in the price.
Tow bar negotiated at sale and installed with new five pin trailer light plug for free.
My exprience has been that it is the dealer that makes the deal work for you. Only have 3K miles but it has good vibes so far.
sid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

Alignment problems, from day 1. Steering Wheel was crooked to the left. If I straighten it, it bears left.
It was worked on, and now it bears right.

This is my second aliggment issue with the Toyotas. The first one was with Lexus Rx330, a similar vehicle. The alignment was nver right after 4 attempts by the dealer.
Lionel

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2008

We purchased a 2008 toyota highlander sport with the sunroof. Does anyone know of an aftermarket DVD player we can install into the roof of the vehicle. Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
thepangs@skyweb.ca
Asahiguy

Maple Valley, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

I would like to know if anyone has had an issue with a 2008 Highlander fresh air button. Ours will cut out in all settings (not the defrost) in about two or three minutes. Seems the whole idea of this button was to keep the exhaust from the trucks ahead of you out of your air intake. Service department says this is a feature of all 2008 Highlanders.
Frustrated

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

Judged:

Just picked up a brand new Highlander Sport FWD and when I make a right hand turn I get a series of clicks/knocks/crunching coming from the front left suspension and I can feel it in my steering wheel. The car has been back to the dealership 4 times and they can't find the problem. Very annoying when you drive as you know when you make a right turn your going to get "that sound and that feeling".
wallace

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

Judged:

Asahiguy wrote:
I would like to know if anyone has had an issue with a 2008 Highlander fresh air button. Ours will cut out in all settings (not the defrost) in about two or three minutes. Seems the whole idea of this button was to keep the exhaust from the trucks ahead of you out of your air intake. Service department says this is a feature of all 2008 Highlanders.
I researched this and found that there are many settings that are customizable by the dealer using a hand held program unit. the recirc is set to "Auto" in the system (controlled by the auto climate control). The dealer can reprogram it to "Manual"
wallace

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

Frustrated wrote:
Just picked up a brand new Highlander Sport FWD and when I make a right hand turn I get a series of clicks/knocks/crunching coming from the front left suspension and I can feel it in my steering wheel. The car has been back to the dealership 4 times and they can't find the problem. Very annoying when you drive as you know when you make a right turn your going to get "that sound and that feeling".
I have a brand new LTD AWD, and I also noticed a very slight knock on the steering wheel, when straightening the wheel from a RH turn. It feels like the noise from the turn signal stalk clicking off at the end of a turn.
I suspected it may be the rubber boot in the foot well is a little sticky?. I fiddled with the boot where the steering goes thru the floor. I can't seem to replicate the conditions again.

I also had factory cross rails, not problems
all in all, I think the car is awesome
Bill

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

Frustrated wrote:
It is a lack of lubrication on the steering shaft. My father had the same issue with his Chevy truck a few years ago. After they took it out and properly lubricated it, it was fine.
keith

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

TSkorg wrote:
I have owned 5 Toyota vehicles but none have as many issues as my new Highlander. First on cold start the engine vibrates so loud when I put in reverse the dash shakes. Second even though I have the radio base set at minus 3 the base is way too strong on both my MP3 and regular radio . If you need a towbar, there are no after market ones built yet I needed to spend $700 for a Toyota towbar to be installed to tow anything. If you want spend the money on a roof rack crossbars do not do it yourself the plastic end caps will break> I watched the dealer break both of mine. Has anyone else had these issues?
I have 2008 Highlander bought hitch www.etrailer.com cheap price but mad very good.
chuckbrown

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

I bought a 2008 tow wheel drive highlander and when ever I start it up in the morning I wait a few minutes to let the car warm up and one I put it into drive this pinging or rasping sound come out from the under the hood untill I reach speeds or 45 and up but it kinda load at first has anyone else had this problem?
Dennis

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

My Parl Treo 755 says it has paired with Bluetooth to navigatin system, but nav system says no. Any sugggestions?
DIY_GUY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

..."If you want spend the money on a roof rack crossbars do not do it yourself the plastic end caps will break> I watched the dealer break both of mine. Has anyone else had these issues?"

The trick to getting the caps off without breaking the clips is to first soften them (they're plastic) with a hair dryer. Carefully heat up the plastic caps on the inside of the rails until they're slightly less rigid, making sure not to melt them! Then use a flat-blade screwdriver (on the inside sides only), twisting the lower edge slightly up and more towards the middle of the car. Start about 1/3 from the frontmost part of the cap, then back a little towards the rear. There are two flimsy clips on the bottom holding it on. Once you hear the little click that each of those two has released, shift to the back of the plastic cap and, using the screwdriver as a wedge, lift it up carefully.
When replacing them, use the hair dryer again to soften the clips and insides before snapping it on. If you break only one clip, you can probably get away with it. If you break two or more, you're out about $30 for a replacement. Not a big deal.
Treo bluetooth is shoddy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Dennis wrote:
My Parl Treo 755 says it has paired with Bluetooth to navigatin system, but nav system says no. Any sugggestions?
This is a problem with the Treo line's bluetooth. Had same problem. Got an iPhone, and no problem with holding the bluetooth connection.
Ken

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2008

TSkorg wrote:
Did you ever get the vibration corrected? Mine does the same too.
Oakdog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2008

Asahiguy wrote:
I have had the same issue and am looking for the reasoning behind it. Let me know if you figure anything out.
Jon

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

I bought a new highlander, it has a manual driver seat, I want to make it a power seat, how can i do that?
Laurie Billings Montana

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Pretty much dislike my Highlander. I guess it's ok if you are a man and not a MOM. No place to put stuff (like a purse) unless there is no one beside you. Not very convienent to access storage in glove box due to high center consol. Also lots of trouble with the wipers during cold snowy weather. Top half of the window freezes and you can't see. Forget about using the wipers as it just smears the ice which freezes worse. The back window is useless to see out of during rain/snow as the air foil makes the rain snow curve around and stay on the window. Sure wish I had stuck to my guns and gotten a Honda-
Perplexed Salem

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Frustrated wrote:
We get the same problems on our brand new Highlander. The problem showed up after only 200 miles on the vehicle. The dealer, after three times bringing it in to fix it, replaced the steering column. The problem returned within a few days. Did you ever get this fixed?

You also mentioned that you have gone to the dealer four times now. Does this problem qualify for the Lemon Law in your state?
Ken

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2009

Jon wrote:
I bought a new highlander, it has a manual driver seat, I want to make it a power seat, how can i do that?
Jon, I have the same issue....did you get an answer from anyone?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Toyota Highlander Forum right now

Search the Toyota Highlander Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
rpms at 75 mph (Jan '13) Jul 23 Emmers14 2
air flow selector and clock light Jul 21 chilep 1
highlander tail/brake light problem (Jul '07) Jul 19 Dennis 120
Toyota Highlander Radio Problem (Aug '10) Jul 14 Eddi 42
iPod connection Jul 4 Piker 1
Highlander door lock actuator (Aug '10) Jul 1 Donna 104
2008 Toyota Highlander Climate Control Knob (Aug '11) Jun '14 grizzly660fan 22
•••

Buy a New Car