Toyota recall hits locally

Toyota recall hits locally

There are 31 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jan 27, 2010, titled Toyota recall hits locally. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A Corolla sits on the Hanover Toyota lot Wednesday afternoon where sales of roughly 60 percent of the lot have been suspended in light of the company s nationwide recall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#22 Jan 29, 2010
Let me answer the question, because I think you folks really do want constructive dialogue.

It’s the way Toyota handled it. It was the comment back in October pointing to dumb American drivers. It was the floor mats. It was the “dealership” that installed the wrong floor mats. It was the supplier. It’s a company that has utilized superior marketing to dupe Americans into a false sense of security, while consistently hiding flaws in un-superior product and lavishing awards by such organizations as CR. Back to the supplier, do you think throwing a supplier under the bus is the answer? CTS built the parts to Toyota specifications, and Toyota is in charge of quality control for those parts, a step they failed to follow up on. In the press release they should have never mentioned the parts supplier. However in true Toyota dismay they implicated the supplier and probably just guaranteed a pending liquidation of the company, that which I might add employs Canadians and Americans. What about those folks? "Risk Management" does not absolve any product manufacturer from liability when death or serious injury results from a deliberately-ignored design flaw in the product and Toyota is about to learn that lesson in a big way. Further, I still believe this is yet another attempt of smoke and mirrors to buy time for the Toyota legal department to attempt laying blame on anyone and everyone. The issue will be found in the software of the drive by wire.

In contrast, look at the way Honda just handled their recall. No excuses, just open and valid points.“We have a problem and now we have a recall.” Case closed- soon to be forgotten.

It was the Ford Pinto – I see people bringing up the pinto all of a sudden. In that day and time, all subcompact were built the same i.e. without the bladder. Corollas, Pacers, Vega’s, Civics. Golfs etc and they all had the same problems. Yet I would imagine 80% of American haven’t the slightest clue.

This just starts the conversation, but let me tell you this. Toyota made this problem, Toyota will feel this problem, and Toyota will pay for this problem dearly. AS far as I’m concerned, kick them when their down. Enjoy it, amplify it and magnify it, market it. Toyota is the Audi of the new millennium.
Hinoid

United States

#23 Jan 29, 2010
Thats your choice wrote:
<quoted text>Sure...trade it in on a bigger piece of junk! Good thinking! I will never own anything other than a import.
I work in a Tundra parts plant and drive a GM car purchased during my employment there. My Cobalt SS (non SC) will outrun the Scion closest to it(TC) and gets better gas mileage. The GM may have parts failures sooner but the parts will be cheaper and easier to get. When you work for Toyota they are very critical so I appied the same logic to the cars, and they lost.
August West

Hollywood, FL

#24 Jan 29, 2010
Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, you must be another union lazy man! I must have hit a sore spot...so you want me to leave the country. No way man....I am going to bleed the syatem for all the "free money" I can first....Then I will move to Mexico, and live like a king!
You couldn't be anymore wrong. I never have been a union person, nor will I ever. Lazy? Maybe, but union? NEVER! Although I make a pretty good living being "lazy" and non-union. Go figure!
David Lauer

Baltimore, MD

#25 Feb 9, 2010
I believe Toyota is trying their best. Check out this video by their President http://bit.ly/apXAhB
liner

Bronx, NY

#26 Feb 9, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
........ Back to the supplier, do you think throwing a supplier under the bus is the answer?.......
Gee, ask Ford and Firestone about that.

(ps: I happen to agree with most of your post.)
Back to Honda

Portsmouth, VA

#27 Feb 9, 2010
On CNN.COM go to "U.S." lower left, click on more under "U.S., then "Under Top U.S. Stories" click on "Toyota recalls may not solve problem, experts say."

The following is an excerpt: "They are in a bit of a quandary," said Pecht, a professor at Maryland's Clark School of Engineering. "If they announce that electronics is a problem, they are probably going to be in a lot of trouble, because nobody's going to drive the car. So at this stage, they don't want to announce there is any electronic problem."

But according to Pecht, who is an expert in failure analysis and has written a book on sudden acceleration in automobiles, complicated electronics -- not a mechanical issue with the gas pedal -- lie at the heart of Toyota's problems. And three other independent safety analysts contacted by CNN also conclude that neither floor mats nor stuck gas pedals are an overwhelming issue.

"From what people have told me about their sudden acceleration incidents, most of them have have got nothing to do with the sticking pedal at all," said Antony Anderson, an electronics consultant in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.
August West

Hollywood, FL

#28 Feb 10, 2010
Thank you for a very useful post Back to Honda. This is just another tragic warning sign about the "overcomputerification " (for a lack of a better term) of our society. This is a great case where maybe leaving something mechanical is the best answer. Being employed in the IT field, this is quite scary to me. I am glad I made the switch from Toyota to Honda, not that Honda couldn't have the same issues at some point! But for now I am glad for making the switch.
Back to Honda

Virginia Beach, VA

#29 Feb 10, 2010
August West wrote:
Thank you for a very useful post Back to Honda. This is just another tragic warning sign about the "overcomputerification " (for a lack of a better term) of our society. This is a great case where maybe leaving something mechanical is the best answer. Being employed in the IT field, this is quite scary to me. I am glad I made the switch from Toyota to Honda, not that Honda couldn't have the same issues at some point! But for now I am glad for making the switch.
Your welcome. It is scary and I hope the electronics issue doesn't hit Honda either. Airbags and pretty much any other recall I would have lived with, but not knowing if my car is jetting off any second is no way to live. We couldn't wait to trade it in.
OH SNAP

Norfolk, VA

#30 Feb 12, 2010
Back to Honda wrote:
On CNN.COM go to "U.S." lower left, click on more under "U.S., then "Under Top U.S. Stories" click on "Toyota recalls may not solve problem, experts say."
The following is an excerpt: "They are in a bit of a quandary," said Pecht, a professor at Maryland's Clark School of Engineering. "If they announce that electronics is a problem, they are probably going to be in a lot of trouble, because nobody's going to drive the car. So at this stage, they don't want to announce there is any electronic problem."
But according to Pecht, who is an expert in failure analysis and has written a book on sudden acceleration in automobiles, complicated electronics -- not a mechanical issue with the gas pedal -- lie at the heart of Toyota's problems. And three other independent safety analysts contacted by CNN also conclude that neither floor mats nor stuck gas pedals are an overwhelming issue.
"From what people have told me about their sudden acceleration incidents, most of them have have got nothing to do with the sticking pedal at all," said Antony Anderson, an electronics consultant in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.
BS.
Eric

Baltimore, MD

#32 Feb 24, 2010
Toyota has worked hard to keep the public informed and correct the problems. At one point dealers across the country were fixing 50,000 cars per day.
Adams County Native

Washington, DC

#33 Feb 24, 2010
I drive a Toyota (my 3rd) and I'm extremely happy with it - I've never had any problems that required attention and I would buy another Toyota without hesitation. Toyota is being very proactive about this situation and I have confidence that the attention will soon move on to another automobile manufacturer. Perhaps after GM repays the feds for their bailout.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Highlander Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Highlander door lock actuator (Aug '10) Feb 21 Bobby Wilkey 154
2010 Toyota Highlander RPM fluctuations & stall... Feb 18 LoriK 1
Highlander armrest repair (Feb '07) Jan '18 Lisa J 15
2017 Highlander limited hybrid Dec '17 Dennis 1
highlander tail/brake light problem (Jul '07) Dec '17 Hifimatt 168
Toyota Highlander Radio Problem (Aug '10) Nov '17 Crbowen 65
Toyota highlander Nov '17 Jerome 1
More from around the web