'Sick' of scrutiny, councilwoman turn...

'Sick' of scrutiny, councilwoman turns in keys

There are 13 comments on the www.pe.com story from Jul 13, 2010, titled 'Sick' of scrutiny, councilwoman turns in keys. In it, www.pe.com reports that:

Hemet Councilwoman Robin Lowe, dogged by a critic of public spending whom she calls a "stalker," has turned in her keys to the city vehicle set aside for council use.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.pe.com.

Resident

Moreno Valley, CA

#1 Jul 13, 2010
Why does it have to be a gas hog suv like a Highlander? Why not something more economical, like a Civic or an Accord? Or even a Prius? It's not like she was going to haul a group of kids to soccer practice or tow a boat. People are greedy.
Grandma

Perris, CA

#2 Jul 13, 2010
The City of Hemet pays over $35,000 a year in medical benefits for retired members AND THEIR SPOUSES. These folks should have the decency and scruples to refuse this compensation given the present economic climate. Robin Lowe receives over $21,000. We have to pay double coverage for her AND HER SPOUSE! This money would be better spent on public safety - fire and police!!!!! Lowe just turned in the city's Toyota Highlander, let's hope she does the right thing and surrenders her insurance card. All those other folks, Van Arsdale, Herron and Rumansoff, Tandy, Nishino and his wife, etc. should all surrender these benefits. Shame on all of you!
7hillsBogeyKing

Newport Beach, CA

#3 Jul 13, 2010
I agree with what Mr Franchville said, that they should use their personal vehicles and be reimbursed for their mileage. If Robin Lowe is sick of being in the paper, she should stop being so corrupt. It seems like at least twice a year there are accusations against her that somehow get swept under the rug and forgot about. I'm tired of it, city government should be transparent. Hats off to Mr Franchville and Mr Youseff
Grandma

Perris, CA

#4 Jul 13, 2010
June 10, 2010 according to the PE:

"From 2001 through 2005, Prime of Life received federal grants allocated by the City Council. In 2005, the federal government said the nonprofit should not have received the grants because it perceived that Lowe had a conflict of interest.

And a 2009 Riverside County Grand Jury report concluded that Lowe had a conflict of interest because she deliberated on the overall city budget that included the $20,800 appropriation."

Don't you smell something? Rubber burning on a Highlander?
KrazyKyngeKorny

Hemet, CA

#5 Jul 13, 2010
The whole of government officials, both Democrat, and Republican, think taxpayers' money is their own personal oyster, and keep digging for the pearl. In these times of economic crisis, it is the moral obligation of politicians, including "The Messiah", to reduce their load on the economy. Have you seen any "morally correct" politician saying, "let's cut our fat salaries?"

Robin Lowe is no exception. She thinks she has a right to keep spending at a Clinton era rate. Clinton ain't in the WhiteHouse any more. She needs to acknowledge that the current President sent us into a crashing economic disaster, and all Americans need to cut back to keep the country's head above water. It's worse than global warming. And, we CAN do something about this.

“Citizens first.”

Since: Oct 08

Moreno Valley

#6 Jul 13, 2010
I can see medical benefits for our elected officials, however a car. It isn't like they are traveling salesman's.

The reason I can see the medical is that it is a job, however a part time one. They should have an employee payment portion like the rest of employees do.
Grandma

Perris, CA

#7 Jul 13, 2010
mvgordie wrote:
I can see medical benefits for our elected officials, however a car. It isn't like they are traveling salesman's.
The reason I can see the medical is that it is a job, however a part time one. They should have an employee payment portion like the rest of employees do.
After a stint of public service, extending medical benefits to elected public servants and their spouses for the rest of their lives is over the top

“Citizens first.”

Since: Oct 08

Moreno Valley

#8 Jul 14, 2010
Grandma wrote:
<quoted text>
After a stint of public service, extending medical benefits to elected public servants and their spouses for the rest of their lives is over the top
Now when put that way, I can see your point, however for the period of time in office, medical seem right.
Ben Dover

Banning, CA

#9 Jul 14, 2010
Good. That's just a drop in the bucket in Hemet's wastefull spending. It's was crap like this that kept measure O from passing.
Grandma

Perris, CA

#10 Jul 14, 2010
Term limits should be implemented to help ferret out this corruption. Lowe has been milking Prime of LIfe and enjoying the cush life in office since the early 1990's.
TurtleDove

Hacienda Heights, CA

#11 Jul 14, 2010
She thinks she is LA Mayor Vilalaraza!
More About Lowe

Perris, CA

#12 Oct 23, 2010
its time for her to go
Jeff

Murrieta, CA

#13 Oct 23, 2010
Who gives a $#(^ about a car. I'm glad she got a car, it was a nice thing to do.

She seems pretty honest to me. I don't think I'd suspect her of wrongdoing. Most of the allegations against her that I've heard lack any real credibility, and seem unwarranted.

I'm voting for Peters and Tavenner for sure though. They took the time to respond to my questions, whereas the other 8 candidates blew me off.
And if they can't respond during a campaign, I don't see much chance of representation in them on Council.
So Peters and Tavenner get my vote; if they'll take the time to respond to me, surely they'll take the time to listen to you as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Highlander Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2008 Toyota Highlander Climate Control Knob (Aug '11) Jan 12 Thul-kifl 33
Toyota Highlander 2004 -moon roof problems (Jun '06) Jan 5 Water lady 22
Highlander door lock actuator (Aug '10) Jan 2 Almir 147
highlander tail/brake light problem (Jul '07) Dec 28 Big Jim 161
Auto Turn Off for lights not working Dec '16 aphil95 1
Tire Pressure Monitoring System Indicator Problem (Aug '07) Dec '16 Jo R 41
News Our Opinion: Toyota's imprint grows as its succ... Nov '16 Trumped 7
More from around the web