Comments
1 - 20 of 121 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 18
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
clara

Redwood City, CA

#1 Jul 5, 2007
I have a 2003 highlander. When I press the brake, only the right rear side of the tail/brake light becomes brighter. I checked the light bulb on the left side, seemed the filament is fine. When I turned on the front light, the left rear light is normal. Anyone knows what might be the issue? Thanks
Brian

San Jose, CA

#2 Aug 10, 2007
Wow, somebody else has a taillight problem.

While driving, my brake lights come on and stay on. Even after parked and shut off. Eventually they go off but I've now been through one battery.......
Calvin

Anchorage, AK

#3 Sep 23, 2007
clara wrote:
I have a 2003 highlander. When I press the brake, only the right rear side of the tail/brake light becomes brighter. I checked the light bulb on the left side, seemed the filament is fine. When I turned on the front light, the left rear light is normal. Anyone knows what might be the issue? Thanks
Clara I have the same problem did you ever figure it out? Thanks
chris

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jun 23, 2008
so did anybody figure out how to remedy this problem?? my right rear light is doing the same thing.
morgan

Honolulu, HI

#5 Jun 19, 2009
same problem here. same right side brake light only. 2003 Highlander.
Linda

El Cajon, CA

#6 Sep 8, 2009
same problem here. I've replaced the buld 2 times, worked two time, but no longer...
Malia

Prattville, AL

#7 Sep 9, 2009
I have a 2002 Toyota Highlander and I am having the same problem. Driver side brake light will not brighten. I've replaced all bulbs.
Tanya

Newnan, GA

#8 Sep 13, 2009
I guess no one figured out the problem? I am having the same problem on an 02 Highlander, passenger side brake light only. Help!!
Carl

Kansas City, MO

#9 Oct 6, 2009
I, too, am experiencing the same problem with my 2003 Highlander...right side brake lights only. Is anyone aware of a recall? I plan on taking these posts into my dealer.
ShaNa

Houston, TX

#10 Oct 6, 2009
Hi all!

I'm having the same issue. My right side brake light does not work, all other on that side but not when brake is pressed. This is the second time this has to me. This time last year took to dealer they thought was wiring issue, supposedly fixed but had to come back next month b/c they didn't work. They ended up replacing the whole electrical kit in the light, which costed me total of 200 dollars or so. Well that lasted only a year exactly and once again have the same issue!!! So I'm taking back to the dealer this week.
Linda

San Diego, CA

#11 Oct 6, 2009
Carl wrote:
I, too, am experiencing the same problem with my 2003 Highlander...right side brake lights only. Is anyone aware of a recall? I plan on taking these posts into my dealer.
I hope you get somewhere with the dealer!
Carl

Kansas City, MO

#12 Oct 7, 2009
Toyota says there have been no recall or service bulletins issued on this problem. We may all be left to our own service departments to get the problem resolved.
same problem

Beaufort, SC

#13 Nov 6, 2009
i got the same problem. 2002 highlander one side works the other doesn't. changed the bulbs and fuse still the same. I lights work when i have headlights turned on but will not brighten with brake.
AACA

Sugar Land, TX

#14 Nov 25, 2009
So far I have checked the fuse, changed the light bulbs, switched the bullbs, switched the bulb sockets, check the wires for possible damage but no luck. Went to toyota dealer and they said they will charge $30 to run the diagnostics and the problem could be circuit board went bad and it will cost at least $300. Not sure what circuit board he was talking but I am not able to find circuit board.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Paul

San Jose, CA

#15 Nov 29, 2009
I have similar problem with 2002 Highlander. Passger side's brake light does not light up when brake is pressed.
Dealers quoted $130 to do diagnostics + extra cost for repair; and also advised to to clean up contact to resolve this problem.
I did try and it worked for a couple of days and then problem returned.
then, I did my diagnotics by press the brake to check if electrical lead to it is active. It pointed out that the lead was not active.
I ref to Hayes High'der's Repair manual. It shows separate ciruit coming out of junction box - to R and L sides. Hence, the R side circuit is not active after the junction box.
Next, I need to find the junction box to sort out if there is something that can be fixed permanentlhy.
joe mcverry

Durham, NC

#16 Dec 16, 2009
my passenger side went out a month ago, the tech at the dealer says it's an issue with the chassis holding the light bracket -$400+ replacement. the service tech "reset" it for $75. today the driver side went out.

sounds like a design defect in the brake light assembly. where's the recall?
liner

Hicksville, NY

#17 Dec 16, 2009
joe mcverry wrote:
my passenger side went out a month ago, the tech at the dealer says it's an issue with the chassis holding the light bracket -$400+ replacement. the service tech "reset" it for $75. today the driver side went out.
sounds like a design defect in the brake light assembly. where's the recall?
What does he want to replace for $400?
joe mcverry

Durham, NC

#18 Dec 16, 2009
btw - to fill a complain with the us gov go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
joe mcverry

Durham, NC

#19 Dec 16, 2009
he wants to replace the light chassis or bracket.
joe mcverry

Durham, NC

#20 Dec 16, 2009
i need to read my post before hitting the "post comment" button.

to file out a complaint... see #18.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Highlander Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Highlander door lock actuator (Aug '10) Aug 28 Vesper 110
Toyota Highlander Radio Problem (Aug '10) Aug 27 Ventura Man 47 44
Map scree Aug 8 Jande 1
rpms at 75 mph (Jan '13) Jul '14 Emmers14 2
air flow selector and clock light Jul '14 chilep 1
iPod connection Jul '14 Piker 1
2008 Toyota Highlander Climate Control Knob (Aug '11) Jun '14 grizzly660fan 22

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••