2009 Corolla Stock Radio Display goes...

2009 Corolla Stock Radio Display goes Blank.

Posted in the Toyota Corolla Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
dlight

San Antonio, TX

#1 Jul 23, 2008
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla LE had 5 miles on it when I bought it. The Stock LCD radio, just shows Black squares. I can no longer see the stations. If I turn the car all the way off and restart the car the radio comes back for a while but then later black squares again. Also, for no apparent reason, when I change radio stations it will start ejecting the CD's. Then it magically goes away for a while and everything works fine.????? I took the car to the dealer when it was in Block Radio display mode and the dealer ordered a new Radio for the car and will replace next week. The Dealer never even tried to argue about it, he said they have seen this before. Hopefully the new Radio will last longer than 30 days.
SJK

United States

#2 Jul 25, 2008
I have had the exact same problem with my car. The dealership is replacing the radio. I've only had my car for two months.
GLN

Fredericksburg, VA

#3 Aug 14, 2008
mine started going blank yesterday (intermittently)
skhann2

Houston, TX

#4 Sep 23, 2008
hey, I got mine about a little over two months ago, and it did it a month ago, and again this morning...really weird it stops working then starts up again..have you had any problems after they replaced it?
marc

Lake Orion, MI

#5 Sep 24, 2008
skhann2 wrote:
hey, I got mine about a little over two months ago, and it did it a month ago, and again this morning...really weird it stops working then starts up again..have you had any problems after they replaced it?
Same problem, Dealership replaced no problem, now FM radio stations have static
npbheights

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Oct 1, 2008
I've got one for you, the volume knob on my 2009 Corolla's stereo stops working about once a day. You can move it back and forth and it does nothing. It basically stays on the level it previously was. It will then mysteriously start working again. My buddy had the same problem with his 09 Corolla too. Earl Stewart Toyota replaced his and is currently replacing my stereo under warrantee. I am literally at Earl Stewart Toyota in Lake Park, FL typing this on my iPhone right now. I think there are serious problems with these stereos and I hope Toyota has addressed the problem as I did not buy this car to be sitting in a dealership dealing with electrical gremlins.
wvdriver

Akron, OH

#7 Oct 9, 2008
I purchased my 09 Corolla in May and it started doing it about a month later. I have had a few issues with the dealership, but I think it is just the service dept, not an issue with Toyota. Currently, though, the radio is on back order, so it will be at least 10 days until they get it in. Frustrating for sure!
wlfpkgirl

Raleigh, NC

#8 Oct 14, 2008
Omigoodness! Mine is doing it too -that is why I did a google search and found these posts...

It did go back to normal today - should I still have it looked at by the dealer? I purchased my car last May/June.
patricia

San Diego, CA

#9 Oct 16, 2008
Dang i thought i was going crazy, i bought my new 2009 corolla 3 weeks ago and yesterday i wasn't able to turn the volume up or down,but it started working at a stop light, then today it did it again but it lasted all the way to work. What is going on? I guess i will take it to the dealer, but i ordered the car over the phone, can i go to any dealer?
Rahul

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Oct 20, 2008
Same problems, the volume locks and the display blanks out. I can't believe I am experiencing this on a new car. I went to the dealer three weeks ago and they said I wasn't the first they seen. I was supposed to get it repaired last week but the sevice department forgot to order it. So hopefully once they install the new radio everything will be okay. Has anyone experienced any problems once they replaced the radio?
Suman Saha

Beaverton, OR

#11 Nov 19, 2008
I have the same issue. Bought mine in May. Suddenly the display went blank today. The dealer has ordered for the replacement in beaverton.
tmos

United States

#12 Nov 24, 2008
Mine has been doing the same thing. It's gotten worse over time. If I hit 'FM1' or any other button sometimes, it spits out the CD and then turns off. Usually, after this, all of the buttons work effectively as an on/off switch only. When it does that, the only thing that works is the knob to manually turn the station, but the screen doesn't work then and you have to listen to each station to know which station it's on. I called the dealer and they said they've seen this before and will need to order a new radio.
Janet

United States

#13 Nov 25, 2008
I am having the same problem where the volume locks as well. But sometimes it will get louder than softer on its own. kinda freaky!!! I am taking it into the dealer on Friday because they want to look at it. I hope the new radios don't have the same problem!
Steve

Jonas Ridge, NC

#14 Nov 27, 2008
Janet wrote:
I am having the same problem where the volume locks as well. But sometimes it will get louder than softer on its own. kinda freaky!!! I am taking it into the dealer on Friday because they want to look at it. I hope the new radios don't have the same problem!
I am having the exact same problem + the power outlet (what used to be known as the cigarette lighter contact) has shorted out.

I went to use the radar detector -- nothing.

The phone recharger -- nothing.

I tried both in my wife's van and they work perfectly.

So it's the car.

The thing that really sucks is I bought at a dealership far from my home (better deal outside the big city).

The salesperson said "don't worry -- these cars are built so well, you won't be making this long drive for years"

Well, less than 2000 miles later, no music, no radio news, no contact point for putting in my tire inflater machine.

Has anyone else had the same dual problem with radio + power contact below?
skhann2

Rolling Meadows, IL

#15 Nov 28, 2008
I called the toyota dealership where I bought it and they said I would have to bring it in and 'duplicate' the problem so they can verify what's going on. Now this has happened to me only 3 times and I have no idea what conditions cause it or if it will even happen when they test drive it over there. Is there any way to get around this..the dealership is quite far from me and I don't want to keep driving back and forth just to prove to them its messed up. Any suggestions?
Bala

San Jose, CA

#16 Dec 22, 2008
npbheights wrote:
I've got one for you, the volume knob on my 2009 Corolla's stereo stops working about once a day. You can move it back and forth and it does nothing. It basically stays on the level it previously was. It will then mysteriously start working again. My buddy had the same problem with his 09 Corolla too. Earl Stewart Toyota replaced his and is currently replacing my stereo under warrantee. I am literally at Earl Stewart Toyota in Lake Park, FL typing this on my iPhone right now. I think there are serious problems with these stereos and I hope Toyota has addressed the problem as I did not buy this car to be sitting in a dealership dealing with electrical gremlins.
Volume control knob doesn't function. It happened with my car yesterday. This is the second time. First time, it worked after few hours. Some magic.

Need to take to the dealer and get it done. Now I'm really getting pissed off with this small stuff. It makes largely reduces the feel-good-factor of your car.:-(
NNAtlanta

Lilburn, GA

#17 Dec 24, 2008
I got my toyota 09 in July. The radio works fine until today. Now it does not work at all. Do you know if I am still covered within the warranty?
mrak

United States

#18 Jan 7, 2009
Yup. Same problem here, calling dealership now...
NNAtlanta

Woodstock, GA

#19 Jan 10, 2009
Thanks! Now it is working again!!?
Lysbeth Minehart

San Jose, CA

#20 Jan 12, 2009
npbheights wrote:
Same Problem here - exactly. Dealer in Chantilly Va won't fix until they see the problem but it comes and goes. Any reccomendations???(12 jan 09)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2003 Corolla...catalytic converter (Dec '08) Jul 17 Cathy 211
Vapor Canister (Sep '06) Jun '16 322Sgd 301
Parking brake light coming on when parking brak... (Nov '10) Jun '16 lownsporty 11
Toyota Corolla ABS Speed Sensor (Mar '11) May '16 Lakh 30
why radio won't turn on May '16 liner 3
Toyota curola 2009 radio don't turn on Mar '16 luscious 1
Shifter Feb '16 Alex 1
More from around the web